PDA

View Full Version : Chiefs and Ariens - Keep on eye on this

SanAntonioSteelerFan
02-04-2009, 03:55 PM
http://www.profootballcentral.com/2009/02/01/chiefs-interested-in-bruce-arians/

Chiefs Interested In Bruce Arians
February 1st, 2009 No Comments

The Kansas City Chiefs are looking at an offensive cordinator that will coach at the Super Bowl but its not the one you think. The Chiefs are also looking at Pittsburgh Steelers offensive coordinator Bruce Arians and may bring him in for an interview after the Super Bowl. Arians is a second year offensive coordinator and has done a tremendous job with the Steelers this season. The Chiefs are also looking at Cardinals offensive coordinator Todd Haley but reports are that Haley is not interested in a head coaching spot and loves Arizona to much to leave.

Anyone heard any updates (this is dated 2-1-09)?

MeetJoeGreene
02-04-2009, 03:56 PM
Where is that praying emoticon when you need it???

Iron Shiek
02-04-2009, 03:56 PM
What a find?!!!

Where did this come from. Please take him.

Oviedo
02-04-2009, 04:01 PM
What a find?!!!

And we can replace Arians with all the "talented" unemployed offensive coordinators waiting for the Steelers to call. You guys act like there is a employment agency you just call for OCs.

Let's also not forget that he could end up taking some very talented assistants that we would have to scramble to replace.

A bird in the hand...

Iron Shiek
02-04-2009, 04:02 PM
On the 2 minute drill updates on Sirius, they keep saying Cards granted permission for Haley to speak to the Chiefs and he is the front runner. So unless he comes to the interview drunk, throws up on Pioli and flicks of the Hunt family, I don't think our wishes can be granted.

Anyone have access to where Haley consumes alcoholic treats? Someone drug him so he bombs the interview...

RuthlessBurgher
02-04-2009, 04:27 PM
Hey! Everybody! Knock it off with the threads bad-mouthing Arians. We should start numerous threads praising Arians' supreme genius, then bring Hardliner back in here to pass all that juicy information onto Pioli and the new Chiefs' brass. If you stop knocking him, and start exaulting him, perhaps they will take him!!!

MeetJoeGreene
02-04-2009, 04:35 PM
Hey! Everybody! Knock it off with the threads bad-mouthing Arians. We should start numerous threads praising Arians' supreme genius, then bring Hardliner back in here to pass all that juicy information onto Pioli and the new Chiefs' brass. If you stop knocking him, and start exaulting him, perhaps they will take him!!!

My request for a praying emoticon was, of course, praying to KEEP BA.

You all should be ashamed of yourselves.
:D

Ozey74
02-04-2009, 04:41 PM
Don't think he'll be offered the job. Just a hunch.

RuthlessBurgher
02-04-2009, 04:46 PM

In his new job in Kansas City, Pioli wants to recreate what he had in New England. New England's run began when they hired a boring, pathetic loser who failed in Cleveland to be their new head coach and then they started winning Super Bowls. Guess who else is a boring, pathetic loser who failed in Cleveland? Yeah, baby!!!

phillyesq
02-04-2009, 04:49 PM
What a find?!!!

And we can replace Arians with all the "talented" unemployed offensive coordinators waiting for the Steelers to call. You guys act like there is a employment agency you just call for OCs.

Let's also not forget that he could end up taking some very talented assistants that we would have to scramble to replace.

A bird in the hand...

Wouldn't BA mean that Chan Gailey would be unemployed? I'd take that swap.

The drain of assistant coaches would be a bit worrisome. This would also probably mean KC would overpay Nate to start opposite of Bowe.

Djfan
02-04-2009, 04:50 PM

In his new job in Kansas City, Pioli wants to recreate what he had in New England. New England's run began when they hired a boring, pathetic loser who failed in Cleveland to be their new head coach and then they started winning Super Bowls. Guess who else is a boring, pathetic loser who failed in Cleveland? Yeah, baby!!!

Planet Steelers should take up an offering and buy the video equipment for him to take with him.

papillon
02-04-2009, 04:53 PM
http://www.thesteelersforum.com/yabbfiles/Smilies/praying.gifhttp://www.thesteelersforum.com/yabbfiles/Smilies/praying.gifhttp://www.thesteelersforum.com/yabbfiles/Smilies/praying.gifhttp://www.thesteelersforum.com/yabbfiles/Smilies/praying.gif

I'll have that order To Go, please! :tt2

Pappy

Flasteel
02-04-2009, 05:05 PM
What a find?!!!

A bird in the hand...

The drain of assistant coaches would be a bit worrisome. This would also probably mean KC would overpay Nate to start opposite of Bowe.

Who do you think would leave this organization to join Arians in KC? My guess is no one.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
02-04-2009, 05:07 PM

My request for a praying emoticon was, of course, praying to KEEP BA.

You all should be ashamed of yourselves.
:D
:oops:

mshifko
02-04-2009, 05:11 PM
oh i would be devestated if BA left...he led us to a tremendous season

(i'm being serious chiefs fans)

not really

Djfan
02-04-2009, 05:12 PM
What a find?!!!

A bird in the hand...

Who do you think would leave this organization to join Arians in KC? My guess is no one.

Perfect. It doesn't get clearer than that!

Iron Shiek
02-04-2009, 05:12 PM
oh i would be devestated if BA left...he led us to a tremendous season

(i'm being serious chiefs fans)

not really

:lol: :Cheers

Steeler Shades
02-04-2009, 05:23 PM
I doubt the Steelers would let Airens go without a signed permission slip from our real OC.....Ben. 8)

Oviedo
02-04-2009, 05:50 PM
I doubt the Steelers would let Airens go without a signed permission slip from our real OC.....Ben. 8)

Yea, I want to hear the first conversation the "new" Oc Has with Ben. It should go something like this:

"You know what Ben I know that you won the Super Bowl for us last year with that last drive even though Santonio got credit for the catch. Reviewing tape I was also impressed with the 4th Quarter come from behind victories you have lead us on. But I have researched Steelers history and I think that Arians guy really got it all wrong. He just asked you to do too much. You know you are a QB not a running back. In the off season I will be reducing your role in this offense and reestablishing the Steelers real identity as a power running team. Don't worry, I still plan on letting you throw the ball 15-20 times per game but all these multiple receiver sets, 3 TEs and relying on you to win games has got to stop. We will be running the ball 35-40 times per game. I'd really like to see FWP and Mendenhall each have 1000 yard seasons. All that nonsense that the NFL has put into place to increase offense and give pass oriented offenses an advantage is just out of whack. This is all cyclic and we will be ahead of the rest of the league and catch them off guard by throwing the ball less and running more. That stuff that Brady and Manning does and that stupid West Coast offense stuff is just all wrong and no one will ever win that way in this league. Don't worry though you are still our franchise QB. You'll still get paid and eventually you will like returning to the role you had under Bill Cowher. You should be very comfortable since you have done that before and I think it will really accelerate how quickly I can reintroduce Steelers football. It will be great working with you and establishing a great relationship."

MeetJoeGreene
02-04-2009, 05:52 PM
What a find?!!!

A bird in the hand...

Maybe the O-Line Coach??? Emoticons for praying again...

msp26505
02-04-2009, 06:42 PM
What a find?!!!

A bird in the hand...

Ugh. :HeadBanger

phillyesq
02-05-2009, 10:57 AM
Maybe the O-Line Coach??? Emoticons for praying again...

Oh, we can dream.

My concern would be if he took guys like Kenny Anderson or offered to bump any of the defensive coaches to D.C.

feltdizz
02-05-2009, 12:40 PM
you guys are crazy..... I don't love Arians but I've learned to like/tolerate him.

Ben breaks the TD record but bombs in the playoffs cause he feels he needs to make up for FWP's injury...

the next year we play the best D's go 12-4....lose FWP for 4 to 5 games, Mend for the season and 2 OL and win a SB as the #2 seed with a gimpy Hines...

sure can't wait to see this great new OC we are going to have who will turn this offense around.... :Binky

grotonsteel
02-05-2009, 01:21 PM

Yea, I want to hear the first conversation the "new" Oc Has with Ben. It should go something like this:

"You know what Ben I know that you won the Super Bowl for us last year with that last drive even though Santonio got credit for the catch. Reviewing tape I was also impressed with the 4th Quarter come from behind victories you have lead us on. But I have researched Steelers history and I think that Arians guy really got it all wrong. He just asked you to do too much. You know you are a QB not a running back. In the off season I will be reducing your role in this offense and reestablishing the Steelers real identity as a power running team. Don't worry, I still plan on letting you throw the ball 15-20 times per game but all these multiple receiver sets, 3 TEs and relying on you to win games has got to stop. We will be running the ball 35-40 times per game. I'd really like to see FWP and Mendenhall each have 1000 yard seasons. All that nonsense that the NFL has put into place to increase offense and give pass oriented offenses an advantage is just out of whack. This is all cyclic and we will be ahead of the rest of the league and catch them off guard by throwing the ball less and running more. That stuff that Brady and Manning does and that stupid West Coast offense stuff is just all wrong and no one will ever win that way in this league. Don't worry though you are still our franchise QB. You'll still get paid and eventually you will like returning to the role you had under Bill Cowher. You should be very comfortable since you have done that before and I think it will really accelerate how quickly I can reintroduce Steelers football. It will be great working with you and establishing a great relationship."

:Agree

Get above average O-line to fix the Steelers Offense.

Iron Shiek
02-05-2009, 01:29 PM
dizz,

We won over half the games in spite of our offense. The #1 defense carried us. I suppose that is fine.

Alot of what I say about Arians is tongue and cheek (or is it tongue-in-cheek?), but I am in the do something with him camp. The issues the offense faced obviously is a combination of personnel (or lack there of on the line and in general due to injuries) and Arians lapses in mental capacity/judgment. I suppose its worth one more year out of him to see what can happen when/if they fix the line. But I remember saying the same crap last year about giving him one more year and he constantly gave us fits week in and week out with some of the decisions.

In any event, I've said it before and I'll say it again. He isn't getting fired, so that won't be coming from my mouth (or fingers anymore). And while I'm not sure what other OC's are out there, it couldn't hurt to keep tabs on a couple in the event that Arians stinks the joint up in 2009.

Steeler Shades
02-05-2009, 01:37 PM
Great. This (unfortunately) will be Airens 3rd season as OC, what has he done to improve the O-Line in the last two seasons? Are there better players on the line now than when he took over? Not his fault? No problem, what has he done with the offense to minimize the O-line's short comings? Too difficult to compensate for a bad O-Line? OK, surely he has adjusted his play calling to compensate for the problem....right? Used a FB to help block? Not send WP between the tackle 20 times per game?

Sure, an improved O-line would definitely help the Steeler offense. As would better play calling and using the offense's strengths instead of ignoring its weaknesses. 8)

Oviedo
02-05-2009, 01:49 PM
Great. This (unfortunately) will be Airens 3rd season as OC, what has he done to improve the O-Line in the last two seasons? Are there better players on the line now than when he took over? Not his fault? No problem, what has he done with the offense to minimize the O-line's short comings? Too difficult to compensate for a bad O-Line? OK, surely he has adjusted his play calling to compensate for the problem....right? Used a FB to help block? Not send WP between the tackle 20 times per game?

Sure, an improved O-line would definitely help the Steeler offense. As would better play calling and using the offense's strengths instead of ignoring its weaknesses. 8)

Used a FB to help block? He has actually used the TEs quite a bit to compensate for the OL deficiencies. There is nothing wrong with that approach and unlike a guy like Kreider they actually offer something in the passing games.

I agree that the running FWP into the middle of the line without a lead blocker needs to be reexamined. I would like to see him running alot more sweeps, but don't forget that they did the same play calling as last year when he was leading the league in rushing.

Him having less success was hugely contributed to 80% of the OL (4 out of 5) linemen being new or different for most of the season. If you don't think that made a difference look at the first couple games of the season when Marvel and Simmons were both still healthy and playing. Big FWP games running the same plays.

sd steel
02-05-2009, 01:53 PM
Only in Pittsburgh would you see idiot Monday AM QB's hoping for the firing of the OC 4 days after we win the Super Bowl. Thank God you guys are just fans.

Couldn't you enjoy the Super Bowl for a whole week before you fantasy football GM gurus decide to start a petition to fire a guy who helped bring you a Championship?

The "we won inspite of" Arians comments are so stupid it's not even funny. If that were truly the case, do you really think he would still be here, or that we could have possibly won the effin Super Bowl if he was trying to make us fail?

Until you have sat in an offensive meeting for a football team higher than your high school JV team, do us all a favor and shut up and enjoy the victory. There is no reason to bash Arians, we are the World Champs, and he is our OC.

Oviedo
02-05-2009, 02:20 PM
Only in Pittsburgh would you see idiot Monday AM QB's hoping for the firing of the OC 4 days after we win the Super Bowl. Thank God you guys are just fans.

Couldn't you enjoy the Super Bowl for a whole week before you fantasy football GM gurus decide to start a petition to fire a guy who helped bring you a Championship?

The "we won inspite of" Arians comments are so stupid it's not even funny. If that were truly the case, do you really think he would still be here, or that we could have possibly won the effin Super Bowl if he was trying to make us fail?

Until you have sat in an offensive meeting for a football team higher than your high school JV team, do us all a favor and shut up and enjoy the victory. There is no reason to bash Arians, we are the World Champs, and he is our OC.

Bravo :Clap Bravo :Clap

But you being a bit too harsh. Most made it to Varsity by their senior year. :D

Djfan
02-05-2009, 02:22 PM
The "we won inspite of" Arians comments are so stupid it's not even funny.

Are you talking about the SB victory or the season trends? If you're talking about the SB, I agree that the first half was very well called. Not the second half.

If you are talking about the season as a whole? Then put me down as being stupid.

I want him gone.

feltdizz
02-05-2009, 02:27 PM
we won in spite of our offense?

Arians called a great game IMO... the only problem is Spaeth's blocking...and a few miscue's by the interior.. but hell, I've watched the "great OL's everyone wishes we had.. Dallas, Giants, Atlanta, Pats* Colts..etc... and all looked to give up critical sacks and been exposed in the playoffs or late in the season.

yet people say this OL is bad..

I disagree.. they are young and held up well this postseason. That great Colts OL couldn't protect Manning and he had to quick snap to get a TD...

Baltimore exposed Tennessee when they dropped back to pass....
and when the Titans lost there star RB what happened? The run was shut down. Maybe it's the RB and not the OL?

now I love FWP but his vision is terrible... so yeah.. put the lead in for FWP and leave the other stuff to a healthy Mendenhall...

We won't see too many changes IMO on the OL since we figured out how to protect Ben.
I don't like changing OC's.... all it does is open up a can of worms for more mistakes IMO.

Steeler Shades
02-05-2009, 02:30 PM
Only in Pittsburgh would you see idiot Monday AM QB's

Until you have sat in an offensive meeting for a football team higher than your high school JV team, do us all a favor and shut up and enjoy the victory...

"...You may, from time to time, find yourself in disagreement with someone else's opinion. At times like these, please keep in mind it's safer and more polite to take issue with the comments rather than the person....

o Any communication that is intended to harass, belittle, humiliate, threaten or cause embarrassment to a fellow member, coach or player.

o Material that defames, abuses or threatens others.
8)

sd steel
02-05-2009, 02:58 PM
[quote="sd steel":1nzcl959]Only in Pittsburgh would you see idiot Monday AM QB's

Until you have sat in an offensive meeting for a football team higher than your high school JV team, do us all a favor and shut up and enjoy the victory...

"...You may, from time to time, find yourself in disagreement with someone else's opinion. At times like these, please keep in mind it's safer and more polite to take issue with the comments rather than the person....

o Any communication that is intended to harass, belittle, humiliate, threaten or cause embarrassment to a fellow member, coach or player.

o Material that defames, abuses or threatens others.
8)[/quote:1nzcl959]

Maybe everyone who has made negative comments about Arians, like yourself, should read the code of conduct as well.
:roll: :roll:

Oviedo
02-05-2009, 03:16 PM

Arians called a great game IMO... the only problem is Spaeth's blocking...and a few miscue's by the interior.. but hell, I've watched the "great OL's everyone wishes we had.. Dallas, Giants, Atlanta, Pats* Colts..etc... and all looked to give up critical sacks and been exposed in the playoffs or late in the season.

I disagree.. they are young and held up well this postseason. That great Colts OL couldn't protect Manning and he had to quick snap to get a TD...

and when the Titans lost there star RB what happened? The run was shut down. Maybe it's the RB and not the OL?

now I love FWP but his vision is terrible... so yeah.. put the lead in for FWP and leave the other stuff to a healthy Mendenhall...

We won't see too many changes IMO on the OL since we figured out how to protect Ben.
I don't like changing OC's.... all it does is open up a can of worms for more mistakes IMO.

Don't you know that Arians didn't call any of the plays on the Super Bowl winning drive. The guys kinda got in the huddle and drew stuff on the ground. :)

Iron Shiek
02-05-2009, 04:27 PM

Don't you know that Arians didn't call any of the plays on the Super Bowl winning drive. The guys kinda got in the huddle and drew stuff on the ground. :)

Come on guys. You probably didn't read my comments directly after the Super Bowl, where I congratulated Arians for a great first half and at least coming up with a game plan that moved the ball. 2nd half was a little touchy. And I didn't say "won in spite of him" meaning he was doing his best to lose games. I said we won in spite of the offense's struggles...be them personnel issues, execution, injuries, or questionable Arians/Ben calls FOR THE ENTIRE YEAR...not the playoffs/superbowl.

This offense is on the verge of exploding. Which is why I say I can muster another year of him. I guess I'm stupid too for wanting to see our "skill" players live up to their potential. Go back and watch the regular season again, and tell me how frustrated you get. I'm sure the Super Bowl victory clouded all of that for you. But you can't act like some of that stuff didn't happen.

I know, I know. The line is better, lots of injuries...whatever. Which is why I also said he's not going anywhere (unless its on his terms), I've accepted it, and lets see what we've got going in 2009.

feltdizz
02-05-2009, 05:26 PM
sure I got upset.. but look at the injuries and the schedule we played....
we won a SB and we will get better...

AngryAsian
02-05-2009, 05:53 PM
This thread is now locked due to content.