PDA

View Full Version : Leftwich in Demand

phillyesq
02-04-2009, 02:48 PM
Per PFT:

LEFTWICH IN DEMAND?
Posted by Mike Florio on February 4, 2009, 1:25 p.m.

Another item that caught our eye as we continue to work through the four-hour Super Bowl pregame show on ESPN relates to Steelers backup quarterback Byron Leftwich.

Per Chris Mortensen, Leftwich’s spot duty with the Steelers might have resurrected his career.

Mort speculates that up to a third of the league will be interested in talking to Leftwich about becoming or competing for the starting job.

He signed a one-year deal with the Steelers after Charlie Batch broke a collarbone during the preseason, so Leftwich will be an unrestricted free agent as of February 27.

That said, the one-time first-rounder of the Jaguars still has a catapult-slow delivery, and he has compensated for it of late by making lightning-fast decisions regarding where the ball will go.

That said, there are plenty of bad quarterbacks in the league. So there should be plenty of teams interested in bringing Leftwich aboard.

I'd like to see Leftwich return as a backup to Ben, but if he is going to draw a lot of interest, I'm sure that won't be financially feasible. It would be great if Batch can come back, but I wonder if he has anything left. I'd still like to see him in the organization regardless -- perhaps assistant qb coach?

If Leftwich does leave, lets hope that he signs a big money deal and gets lots of playing time -- those are the factors that will be considered in awarding comp picks.

stlrz d
02-04-2009, 02:52 PM
That said, the one-time first-rounder of the Jaguars still has a catapult-slow delivery, and he has compensated for it of late by making lightning-fast decisions regarding where the ball will go.

That said, there are plenty of bad quarterbacks in the league. So there should be plenty of teams interested in bringing Leftwich aboard.

Starting two sentences in a row with "that said"???

Florio needs to work on his writing skills.

frankthetank1
02-04-2009, 02:56 PM
that said, i think leftwich is as good as gone. there are a ton of teams that would want him as a starter. back up qb will be a big concern next season.

Oviedo
02-04-2009, 03:05 PM
Losing Leftwich will really hurt. You have to figure that Ben will get nailed a couple of times next year. I have no confidence in Batch (should become a coach) and no confidence that Dixon is ready yet.

Leftwich was able to step in and keep the offense running well. Batch and Dixon would be major drop offs.

snarky
02-04-2009, 03:06 PM
Testaverde hasn't turned 50 yet and he has a solid history of completing passes to Steelers. We should bring him in. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

snarky
02-04-2009, 03:14 PM
That said, we need more depth at receiver and we need some insurance at QB. The obvious answer is to sign Michael Vick as a receiver. (I'm serious).

Steelgal
02-04-2009, 03:18 PM
That said, we need more depth at receiver and we need some insurance at QB. The obvious answer is to sign Michael Vick as a receiver. (I'm serious).

Vick?? I was thinking Kordell would be an excellent option as well :lol:

Discipline of Steel
02-04-2009, 03:23 PM
That said, the depth chart will look like this next year:

Roethlisberger
Dixon
Batch

snarky
02-04-2009, 03:27 PM
Kordell is not the athlete he once was. I read somewhere that he wants to try a comeback in 2009 but his only hope would be as a pure QB.

Vick is a tremendous athlete who happens to have done some despicable things to animals. Unlike most of the offenders in the NFL, he has paid his debt to society. I think it is extremely unlikely that he will be given a position either as a starting QB or a #2 (at least for a few years) but I think he can produce in 2009 as a receiver and by running the wildcat every once in a while.

If we could get him for the right price, I would love to have him.

SidSmythe
02-04-2009, 03:31 PM
Leftwich needs to find a team w/ good pass protection.

I think MINNESOTA would be a GREAT opportunity for him.

Oviedo
02-04-2009, 03:41 PM
Kordell is not the athlete he once was. I read somewhere that he wants to try a comeback in 2009 but his only hope would be as a pure QB.

Vick is a tremendous athlete who happens to have done some despicable things to animals. Unlike most of the offenders in the NFL, he has paid his debt to society. I think it is extremely unlikely that he will be given a position either as a starting QB or a #2 (at least for a few years) but I think he can produce in 2009 as a receiver and by running the wildcat every once in a while.

The Steelers "Men of character" policy automatically would eliminate Vick. The Rooneys would not want the media attention (much of it negative) that would go with having him on the team even if he was guaranteed to catch 100+ passes and score 20 TDs.

The Steelers won't even negotiate with their own upcoming free agents during the season because of potential distrctions (dumb IMO). Vick would be the biggest distraction in the NFL in the last decade. Let him go to Dallas or Oakland and screw up their season.

Iron Shiek
02-04-2009, 03:48 PM
The guys on Movin the Chains yesterday were talking about Leftwich. Neither of them can see any situation where a team is going to consider him as a starter in any way shape or form. Basically teams are lining up to bring him in as a solid backup. Then they proceeded to say that why would Leftwich want to even leave. If he is going to be that "solid" backup elsewhere, why not just stay with the Steelers where you know they will be competitive. So they were of the opinion that Batch is probably done and the coaching route might be in his near future. Then Steelers can make Leftwich the "new" Batch citing lots of similarities in Lefty (now) and Batch (when he signed as our backup) in that they both have/had something left in the tank as a potential starter, but not a top notch #1 guy for a team.

It makes sense.

snarky
02-04-2009, 03:55 PM

The Steelers "Men of character" policy automatically would eliminate Vick. The Rooneys would not want the media attention (much of it negative) that would go with having him on the team even if he was guaranteed to catch 100+ passes and score 20 TDs.

The Steelers won't even negotiate with their own upcoming free agents during the season because of potential distrctions (dumb IMO). Vick would be the biggest distraction in the NFL in the last decade. Let him go to Dallas or Oakland and screw up their season.

That said, I think there is a world of difference between somebody like TO who is pure poison and somebody like Vick who, IMO, was very naive about some things. Both Holmes and Dumptruck (not with us any more, I know) have had domestic violence issues. So while I understand what you are saying, I think if the price was right and the FO felt comfortable with Vick's goals at reintegrating into society and coming back into the league, I think he would be worth it.

LasVegasGuy
02-04-2009, 07:11 PM
The guys on Movin the Chains yesterday were talking about Leftwich. Neither of them can see any situation where a team is going to consider him as a starter in any way shape or form. Basically teams are lining up to bring him in as a solid backup. Then they proceeded to say that why would Leftwich want to even leave. If he is going to be that "solid" backup elsewhere, why not just stay with the Steelers where you know they will be competitive. So they were of the opinion that Batch is probably done and the coaching route might be in his near future. Then Steelers can make Leftwich the "new" Batch citing lots of similarities in Lefty (now) and Batch (when he signed as our backup) in that they both have/had something left in the tank as a potential starter, but not a top notch #1 guy for a team.

It makes sense.

How can Leftwich not be considered a starter when you have guys like Thigpen, Russell, Orton and Jackson starting for teams? Heck, I wouldn't be surprised if Jax came calling again. Byron can start and will be starting for someone next year I'm sure of it.

Uncle Rico
02-04-2009, 07:17 PM
Drafting Pat White would be a much better idea if having a QB/WR on the roster is your desire.

snarky
02-04-2009, 07:41 PM
Drafting Pat White would be a much better idea if having a QB/WR on the roster is your desire.

From my perspective that's only true if you consider the draft pick in a vacuum.

Drafting White has an opportunity cost. Drafting Vick -- not so much.

Steel Life
02-04-2009, 09:31 PM
1. Thought Charlie did great as an "unofficial" QB coach & showed his character sticking around to help out.
2. That said :wink: I think keeping Byron over him is the right thing to do. Byron can succeed in our system, can bask in leftover good Marshall vibes, & has a chance to play based on our line & Ben's style.
3. Dixon's not quite ready as a pure QB, but I can see more PT in his future as getting his talent on the field becomes a priority.
4. Does he really want to be like Culpepper? If he goes & it doesn't work out, he'll be stuck & regretting his choice.