PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' victory is painful

stlrz d
02-04-2009, 12:44 PM
http://www.morningjournal.com/articles/ ... 566577.txt (http://www.morningjournal.com/articles/2009/02/04/sports/mj566577.txt)

INGRAHAM: Steelers' victory is painful

Wednesday, February 4, 2009 7:17 AM EST
By JIM INGRAHAM
jingraham@MorningJournal.com

IT'S bad enough that the Browns are bad. But it's who is good that makes it even worse.

The Steelers, who seem to go to the Super Bowl about as often as the Browns change coaches, have done it again. Not just gone to the Super Bowl, but won it.

Again.

Won it with a linebacker from Kent State scoring a touchdown on a 100-yard interception return. Won it with a quarterback from Miami of Ohio throwing the game winning touchdown pass to a receiver from Ohio State.

Why doesn't Dan Rooney just hire some roving bands of steelworkers to invade Cleveland with a bunch of sharp sticks and poke each and every Browns fan in the eye?

I mean, really. Can it get any worse than this?

While Browns fans are still trying to figure out the proper pronunciation of "Kokinis'' and whether it's even worth the trouble there was a parade in downtown Pittsburgh Tuesday that was expected to draw upwards of a quarter of a million people.

Hint: it wasn't for the unveiling of a new ketchup bottle.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention one other thing, not that you needed reminding. The team the Steelers beat to GET to the Super Bowl was the Browns. No, not these Browns, THOSE Browns. The old Browns. The former Browns. The Browns team that was hijacked out of Cleveland, whereupon the city had to wait three empty years for. . . for. . . THESE Browns.

Other than that, how do you like the decade so far?

All of which raises the question: When exactly will Browns fans stop buying tickets? How long do these Browns have to be this bad before people say "that's enough of this'' and stay home?

When the Indians finished their run of division titles after 2001 and began to rebuild, the automatic sellouts at then-Jacobs Field instantly disappeared. Home attendance went from 3.1 million in 2001 to 2.6 in 2002 to 1.7 in 2003.

The year before LeBron James fell into their lap the Cavs were last in the NBA in attendance. Since James arrived and the team got good, the Cavs have, in successive years finished 29th, 9th, 6th, 5th, 3rd, and 3rd in the NBA in attendance.

In other words, in baseball and basketball, Cleveland fans behave the way most fans behave. They show up when the team is good and they don't when the team is bad.

But not in football.

Browns fans show up religiously for every home game, no matter how bad the team is. From this we can draw only one of two conclusions: Browns fans are either incredibly loyal or hopelessly foolish.

In the last 16 years the Browns have had losing records in 13 of them. In 10 of those 16 years the Browns have lost 10 or more games. Yet in none of those 16 years have the fans stopped coming.

It's been sellout after sellout after sellout. Like the swallows returning to Capistrano.

Is tailgating really THAT much fun?

That's got to be it, right? It can't be the football. For the most part the football has ranged from bad to inept to unwatchable.

Yet it's sellout after sellout after sellout.

In what other business could a company consistently provide its customers with such an inferior product and still be assured that the customers would continue buying it, year after year after year?

We should all be so lucky as to own a company such as that.

All of which is not to question the sanity of Browns fans. I mean it's not like they have a choice. You live in Cleveland? You like NFL football? Well, here's your team. Take it or leave it. Browns fans take it, and hope for the best.

Meanwhile, the team they USED to have was the second best team in the AFC this year. And the team they USED to beat all right, you have to go back to the 1960s to prove it are the Super Bowl champs. Again.

Where's the breaking point? When does the honeymoon end? When do the Browns reach the point where they are so bad for so long that their fans eventually lose interest and wander off in search of other activities on Sunday afternoons in the fall?

We may find out next season. Given the economy, given the more appealing products at Quicken Loans Arena and Progressive Field, given the Browns' long run of failure, and given, in particular, the organization's embarrassing performance over the last 12 months, will 2009 be the year when Browns fans stop writing checks and finally say "no mas''?

You couldn't blame them if they do.

Or you could admire them if they don't.

Iron Shiek
02-04-2009, 12:51 PM
Awesome. The rag this appeared in is from my hometown. Its a northeastern Ohio paper. We always called it the Urinal instead of the Journal. Great line though:

Why doesn't Dan Rooney just hire some roving bands of steelworkers to invade Cleveland with a bunch of sharp sticks and poke each and every Browns fan in the eye?

I'd like to submit my resume Mr Rooney. I'm well qualified except I'm not a Steelworker...but my dad was...does that count.

Lebsteel
02-04-2009, 01:02 PM
Awesome. The rag this appeared in is from my hometown. Its a northeastern Ohio paper. We always called it the Urinal instead of the Journal. Great line though:

I'd like to submit my resume Mr Rooney. I'm well qualified except I'm not a Steelworker...but my dad was...does that count.

Cool, Shiek, I'll take care of the Bungle fans in SW Ohio. They are just as miserable as the Stains fans, so we might as well put them out of their misery too!! :tt2 :tt1

JAR
02-04-2009, 01:04 PM
:lol:

rats are whining too...

Big Ben: The hatred runs deep
By Tony Giro
Baltimore Examiner Sports Columnist 2/3/09

I'm in an abusive relationship with a guy named Ben.
I met him, geez, I guess five years ago. It was the winter of 2004.

I'll never forget the first time I laid eyes on him. He was just standing around, holding a clipboard for a guy named Tommy. He seemed harmless enough -- almost unassuming and Shrek-like with his super-sized head and unsightly moles.

I didn't really think much of him until he and Tommy exchanged roles.

If I only had known what I know now, I could've saved the $10 I spent on the "Steelers Suck" T-shirt I bought that day.

I mean, how the hell was I supposed to envision a tall oaf like him would make a living ripping my heart out one ventricle at a time?

I get cold just thinking about the first time he broke the huddle. You know how some guys just have a look -- the look that separates them from everyone else? He had it.

All the greats -- Unitas, Jordan, Gretzky, Don Rickles -- had it.

I want to give myself a home lobotomy just to erase the memory of the first time he dropped back, scrambled and threw a dart downfield.

"Lucky," I told myself.

"He just pulled that one out of his butt," my buddy, Dave, said.

Then Ben did it again.

And again.

Then, I didn't feel so good.

I tried to convince myself my queasiness was a byproduct of too many beers. Maybe it was the iridescent pit beef sandwich I bought from a sketchy looking fella on the corner of Ostend and Leadenhall streets that twisted my stomach in knots.

Could it have been I inhaled too much smoke from the Terrible Towel bonfire we made during the tailgate earlier that day?

Whatever it was that made me feel like I had a squirrel in my larynx, I knew I didn't like it.

Saying this guy was only slightly better than the guy he replaced would be akin to saying the Beatles were slightly more talented than Flock of Seagulls.

His team was the Four Seasons without Frankie Valli.

The Maytals without Toots.

Pearl with no Jam.

Why the hell did Tommy have to get hurt that day?

Why, football Zeus, why?

The more I watched him that day, the more I hated him and his, "Oh, look at me. I'm so calm. Watch me act like my spleen was ripped Mortal Kombat-style from my body and come back on an ambulance 10 minutes later to finish you."

Now, I feel like I've seen that chutzpah a million times. Well, at least 18 times after his Houdini act on Sunday against the Cardinals.

My friends try to tell me to let it go -- that a voodoo doll and repeated prank calls to his parents' house aren't going to solve my problem.

My friends tell me he's ruining my life.

I think they're right.

After all, I recently Googled the telltale signs of abuse -- and I'll be damned if I didn't land squarely in the middle of an Ike and Tina situation.

Ben prevents me from going where I want, when I want:

I had plans to go to Tampa last weekend, but noooo. Somebody had to make some plays on countless third-and-forevers against the Ravens.

You don't even care that I might have spent some money on airfare, super bowl tickets and an all-inclusive package at Mons Venus.

Sure, no, you go instead, Ben. No, I want you to. Maybe, I'll just go to Miami next year.

Ben makes me destroy my property:

Remember that time, Week 15, to be exact, when you drove your team down the field and you threw the ball to Santonio Holmes and the referees gave you a touchdown even though it really wasn't?

I broke some stuff after that happened.

Oh, and remember when you scored in Super Bowl XLIII with 35 seconds left? Someone might have punched my dog, Muggsy, square in the face because of that play.

You can't prove anything because she's a bulldog and as far as the authorities know, her face already looked like that.

Ben makes it hard for me to face my coworkers:

It's hard to reason with a group who just recently jumped on your bandwagon and are wearing bootleg Steelers jerseys. Sometimes, when they're not looking, I blow my nose with their Terrible Towels. And none of them ever has an answer for this simple question: If Pittsburgh is so great, how come you left and came here?

Ben has multiple personalities:

I see your TV interviews. With Warren Sapp, you sounded like Eminem. With Rich Eisen, you talked like Willie Nelson.

And don't get me started on how you'll play like Chris "Boomer" Berman for three quarters of a game and then turn it on like Norman "Boomer" Esiason in the fourth.

Just being yourself is the first step in the road to your recovery -- and my own.

Why can't I just walk away? Better yet, why doesn't he just walk away? Retire. Put me out of my misery.

Isn't two Super Bowl rings enough?

http://www.baltimoreexaminer.com/sports ... 37099.html (http://www.baltimoreexaminer.com/sports/null38837099.html)

Iron Shiek
02-04-2009, 01:15 PM
Ha that B-more article was pretty funny. He wasn't really whining that much...until the end. But it was good as well. Awesome...I love the envy...

stlrz d
02-04-2009, 01:29 PM
Nah, he was whining and throwing out back handed compliments.

Fsck the Rats and their fans.

Scarletfire1970
02-04-2009, 01:39 PM
Hey D. Hope you had a good time in the Pittsburgh bar watching the SB. We missed you in chat.

anyways, I love reading stuff like that. That Baltimore writer was too much. lol. Oh and Cleveland sucks.

MeetJoeGreene
02-04-2009, 02:09 PM
All of these are lamentations of our enemies and music to my ears!!

papillon
02-04-2009, 02:30 PM

:Bow :Bow

Pappy

Lebsteel
02-04-2009, 02:35 PM
Great article. I thought it was hilarious!! I'm forwarding it to all my Bungal friends...no, wait, maybe that will make them feel better, I can't have that... :bungalssuck

Djfan
02-04-2009, 02:45 PM
Great article. I thought it was hilarious!! I'm forwarding it to all my Bungal friends...no, wait, maybe that will make them feel better, I can't have that... :bungalssuck

I can't imagine having Bungle fan friends. Are you a prison guard or something?

stlrz d
02-04-2009, 02:49 PM
Hey D. Hope you had a good time in the Pittsburgh bar watching the SB. We missed you in chat.

anyways, I love reading stuff like that. That Baltimore writer was too much. lol. Oh and Cleveland sucks.

Thanks...but you know I'm still a little scared of you, right? :P

phillyesq
02-04-2009, 03:03 PM

:Bow :Bow

Pappy

:Agree

Steelgal
02-04-2009, 03:27 PM
I love it!!!! Those articles are hilarious :Cheers

I can't remember where I read it, but a Rats fan made a comment about 'since Flacco had such a Ben-like rookie year, he fully expected a Superbowl run next year' :ratsuck

pick6
02-04-2009, 03:34 PM
great thread, great articles. I live here in Cleveland, just doing a little recon for the nation. The browns fan is in a state of turmoil that you can not imagine. I like many steeler fans used to feel a little sympathy for browns fan. but no longer. the hate and jealousy that they have shown for us is intense. If only you guys could know the level of great expectations that they had for this year. They were laughing at me saying that the North was theirs for the taking. You should feel joy at the real life pain that they are experiencing as we speak. We own them and the LOMBARDI. I have informed the most virulent browns fans that I know that because their team is so digusting they can no longer address me about matters of the gridiron without me first addressing them. So they are to respond to my inquiries or otherwise keep their worthless holes shut. And now mangini and kokinis. I laugh in there faces everyday. Don't feel sorry for them, they have lost their minds and they hate our team. Our ascension and the corresponding descent of the browns is a beautiful thing to witness up close.

RuthlessBurgher
02-04-2009, 04:39 PM
I love it!!!! Those articles are hilarious :Cheers

I can't remember where I read it, but a Rats fan made a comment about 'since Flacco had such a Ben-like rookie year, he fully expected a Superbowl run next year' :ratsuck

Did they mention yet how their veteran RB also happens to come from the city that is hosting the Super Bowl next year like some other veteran RB that we know back when Ben made his first Super Bowl run? Also their veteran LB. And their veteran safety too. But since less than 1% of Baltimore fans actually took the SAT, they will not understand the following question.

Jerome Bettis is to Detoit as:

a. Willis McGahee is to Miami
b. Ray Lewis is to Miami
c. Ed Reed is to Miami
d. All of the above
e. Jerome Bettis is from Detroit?!?! :shock:

Perhaps McGahee, Lewis, and Reed will all retire after that Super Bowl, gain 40 pounds each, open their own restaurants, and get network broadcasting gigs. Or ghey-dance with lizards in commercials instead. One or the other.

:ratsuck

JAR
02-04-2009, 08:47 PM
Dallas in on the pain too. :)

The Steelers aren't exactly a squeaky clean franchise

The six-time Super Bowl champion Pittsburgh Steelers are in many ways the NFL's model franchise, with a track record of stability and success that goes back decades. Their do-it-the-right-way approach has been lauded over the last few weeks, and rightfully so.

The Steelers have been portrayed as sort of the anti-Cowboys. But it isn't as if the Steelers haven't had their fair share of off-the-field issues, and those date back decades, too.

The '70s Steelers have been said to be steroids pioneers. Santonio Holmes, the hero of this Super Bowl and a Deadspin favorite (warning: disturbing photo), has been arrested at least twice (including earlier this season for marijuana possession) and admitted last week that he used to sell drugs.

Side note: You think the Cowboys would rather have Bobby Carpenter or Holmes, who was drafted several picks later?

No, the Pittsburgh Steelers aren't perfect. Even the NFL's best franchise has flaws.

Comments
Posted by shabaz @ 11:29 AM Tue, Feb 03, 2009

Oh but you see, the key difference between the Steelers and Cowboys is...well...The Cowboys are the Cowboys. Let me briefly explain...

Anything bad (and I MEAN EVERYTHING)the Cowboys do off-the-field, it is a MEDIA hay day. Specifically, ESPN has reporters on stand by 24/7 in Valley Ranch just in case such a thing occurs. The Steelers? Yea well, it'll make the headlines and sportscenter might make a brief mention of it sometime in the middle of the show. But if it were a Dallas Cowboy who did something of that sort, they will devote an entire segment with analysis and key reporting from loser Ed Warner who just can't get enough of reporting about the Dallas Cowboys.

To sum up, the Dallas Cowboys get wayy too much media attention as compared to the Steelers. Why? Lets face it, the Cowboys are the most popular franchise pretty much in all of sports and the Steelers are not even in the top 10. This is why the Dallas Cowboys are America's team....period.

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archi ... y-cle.html (http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2009/02/the-steelers-arent-exactly-a-squeaky-cle.html)

Memo to Steelers Fans: Don't Forget Your Near-Loss to the Cowboys

Let me start by saying this is not a Super Bowl article.

This is an article I am writing strictly as a defense to my Cowboys against every Cowboy-hating Steeler fan on here, that instead of commenting on the topic of an article, decides they must attempt to rip apart the entire Cowboys organization.

I don't like Pittsburgh, pretty sure most people get that by now. Pittsburgh fans don't like the Cowboys. I'm fine with that.

But every article I write, or comment I make, is followed by a Pittsburgh fan trashing myself for being a Cowboys fan, and the team I've followed my whole life.

Steelers fans want to keep saying how they won the big one, and the Cowboys don't have enough class and they don't make enough plays, Romo is crap, T.O. tears the team apart, their coaching sucks...do you not think most Cowboys fans are at least half-agreeing right now?

We know our team is falling apart quicker than Janet Jackson's halftime outfits, but come on, give me a break.

You think your team is that much better? The Steelers who had to go through absolutely no one in the regular season? The Steelers team who had to beat what, an 8-8 team, then the Ravens with rookie Flacco, and finish it off with a controversial, last second win against a 9-7 Cardinals team?

* B/R Ticket Guide