PDA

View Full Version : Hall Of Fame discussion

Iron Shiek
02-04-2009, 10:45 AM
This has been the big topic of the day on NFL Radio on Sirius. Its Peter King's first show back from the Hall of Fame vote from the past weekend so they have gone into detail on the process and he revealed how he voted and what not.

So if it hasn't be too public (I didn't know what the process was), here is a breakdown:

In the beginning of the season all 44 voters (1 writer from each NFL city plus a handful of at large writers like King) receive a list of 125 players that can be considered. It was unclear where this list comes from though (some committee I imagine). Their job here is to pick their Top 25. Then the top 25 vote getters get distributed to the voters close to the end of the season. They then have to pick their Top 15. Then the Top 15 vote getters make it to the "Room" the Saturday before the Super Bowl. The writer from the city in which the player is representing puts together a "case" and presents it to the room. In the case of a non-player like Tagliabue, the NFL would request and appoint an at-large guy to present. Then the debate ensues and gets tabled when nothing is left to say. There is another vote to pick your Top 10...then again for Top 5. Those Top 5 vote getters are given to the writers where at this point they say either YES or NO. If a person gets 80% YES votes, they are in.

Dirt still may have an outside chance but its gonna be tough. King admitted that he didn't put him in his Top 10 because there was just a lot of other talent. He did confess though that had Dirt been in the Top 5 he definitely would say YES to him. So the problem is getting him that far. Looking at the next several years, its gonna be hard for Dirt to get in.

Does anyone know who the Pittsburgh representative is on the HOF voter committee?

Oviedo
02-04-2009, 10:53 AM
No Steeler is going to have an real shot at getting in unless they are an elite talent (Woodson) because of the enormous anti-Steelers bias in the media. It couldn't have been more clear leading up to this Super Bowl how much the media doesn't like the success of the Steelers and the very business like (yet from a media standpoint--boring) way the franchise operates year after year. The organization just doesn't cultivate relationships with the media who has these votes.

Unles they are voted in by a future veteran committee Dawson and LC Greenwood will never be in the HoF. The same goes for Hines Ward. He also will never get in.

The current structure needs to be augmented by votes by living members of the HoF who have actually played football against the eligible players not a bunch of media wanna bes.

Discipline of Steel
02-04-2009, 11:08 AM
Dick LeBeau should make it in somehow. His 25 years have passed since he was eligible as a player. He does not get in based on his merits as a head coach. The only other option for him is as a 'contibutor to the game', or something like that. I think his success and innovation from the Coordinators position might be a good arguement. Although he is still writing his story as far as that is concerned. I know its wishful, but he should be eligible the year after he retires so the enshrinement doesnt have to be posthumous.

frankthetank1
02-04-2009, 11:10 AM
lebeau should be in for sure. even as a player he is in the top ten in ints i believe. i think dirt will get in but it will be a while. bettis is a first ballot hof'r there is no doubt in that. i would think dirt would get enducted after him. im really worried that hines will have as tough of a time getting in as dirt has

JAR
02-04-2009, 11:15 AM
Does anyone know who the Pittsburgh representative is on the HOF voter committee?

i believe it's Ed Bouchette

RuthlessBurgher
02-04-2009, 11:17 AM
bad word LeBeau should make it in somehow. His 25 years have passed since he was eligible as a player. He does not get in based on his merits as a head coach. The only other option for him is as a 'contibutor to the game', or something like that. I think his success and innovation from the Coordinators position might be a good arguement. Although he is still writing his story as far as that is concerned. I know its wishful, but he should be eligible the year after he retires so the enshrinement doesnt have to be posthumous.

Perhaps he has a shot with the veteran's committee nominating him as a player. There has been so much public sentiment for him recently that they may have to consider him. You have to take all of those interceptions and the longest consecutive games played streak for a corner into consideration.

It is interesting that he played opposite a HoF CB at the beginning of his career in Detroit (Night Train Lane) and played opposite a HoF CB at the end of his career in Detroit (Lem Barney). Perhaps he did not get the consideration he deserved because the old football writers might have thought that he got all of those interceptions because the opposing QB would never throw toward Lane or Barney's side of the field, preferring to challenge LeBeau instead.

Iron Shiek
02-04-2009, 12:23 PM
Guys from what I heard this morning Lebeau hasn't even been brought up as a player simply because he is currently coaching. Once you end your coaching career, you have to wait 3 years before you are allowed to be considered, as a coach or player. I'd imagine when he retires, he will get huge consideration as a player/innovator/coach after his 3 year waiting period is up.

stlrz d
02-04-2009, 12:25 PM

Correct.

I heard an interview with him while I was in the Burgh and he was talking about what a grueling process it was this year. IIRC, he said someone made a 45 minute presentation on Chris Carter. 45 minutes!!! Sheesh!

Discipline of Steel
02-04-2009, 12:26 PM
Guys from what I heard this morning Lebeau hasn't even been brought up as a player simply because he is currently coaching. Once you end your coaching career, you have to wait 3 years before you are allowed to be considered, as a coach or player. I'd imagine when he retires, he will get huge consideration as a player/innovator/coach after his 3 year waiting period is up.

3 year waiting period needs to be dismissed somehow, he'll be freaking 80 by then!!!

frankthetank1
02-04-2009, 12:31 PM

Correct.

I heard an interview with him while I was in the Burgh and he was talking about what a grueling process it was this year. IIRC, he said someone made a 45 minute presentation on Chris Carter. 45 minutes!!! Sheesh!

thats 40 mins longer then it needed to be im sure, but it is crazy that carter didnt make it yet. i dont care for him all that much but he is very deserving

MeetJoeGreene
02-04-2009, 12:33 PM

Do we think Lebeau would rather go in as a player or as coach?

Iron Shiek
02-04-2009, 12:34 PM

Correct.

King said the entire process lasted 6 hours and 45 minutes this year. Someone else presented 45 minutes on Bob Hayes as well. Crazy.

Iron Shiek
02-04-2009, 12:35 PM

I'm sure he values his time spent in each profession equally. I've heard him talk about his playing days and he is just as humble about those days as he is now.

Are you asking because you want to know if he will go in as a Lion, Bungle, or Steeler?

That seems like the beginning of a joke or something...ha.

stlrz d
02-04-2009, 12:36 PM

I think only head coaches can go in. So he'd have to go in as a player.

I may be mistaken, but I think 50 years as player and then coach is unprecedented. Imo, there should be a separate category for someone like LeBeau.

Iron Shiek
02-04-2009, 12:38 PM
If the guy that invented NFL Films is on the list of people that are being considered, then freaking Bad WORD better dam well be as well when its time.

MeetJoeGreene
02-04-2009, 12:40 PM
[quote="Iron Shiek":3a6l8abu]Guys from what I heard this morning Lebeau hasn't even been brought up as a player simply because he is currently coaching. Once you end your coaching career, you have to wait 3 years before you are allowed to be considered, as a coach or player. I'd imagine when he retires, he will get huge consideration as a player/innovator/coach after his 3 year waiting period is up.

I'm sure he values his time spent in each profession equally. I've heard him talk about his playing days and he is just as humble about those days as he is now.

Are you asking because you want to know if he will go in as a Lion, Bungle, or Steeler?

That seems like the beginning of a joke or something...ha.[/quote:3a6l8abu]

Actually, I hadn't even considered the team aspect - but that is a REALLY good point. I would rather him go in as a Steeler - hence as a DC

MeetJoeGreene
02-04-2009, 12:41 PM
[quote="Iron Shiek":1vpcftcd]Guys from what I heard this morning Lebeau hasn't even been brought up as a player simply because he is currently coaching. Once you end your coaching career, you have to wait 3 years before you are allowed to be considered, as a coach or player. I'd imagine when he retires, he will get huge consideration as a player/innovator/coach after his 3 year waiting period is up.

I think only head coaches can go in. So he'd have to go in as a player.

I may be mistaken, but I think 50 years as player and then coach is unprecedented. Imo, there should be a separate category for someone like LeBeau.[/quote:1vpcftcd]

I don't think that is a hard and fast rule, per se -- it just hasn't been done before. Why not have a Steeler break that barrier.

Iron Shiek
02-04-2009, 12:43 PM
Then we can have more Steeler hate regarding the HOF. Fans of other teams would just claim that the NFL bends the rules for us on AND off the field.

:Hater s

Discipline of Steel
02-04-2009, 12:46 PM
I would imagine he would go in as an innovator, bouyed by his success as a player and a coach. Thus it is possible he could skip the 3 year rule, but still go as a Steeler.

stlrz d
02-04-2009, 12:49 PM
Like every other inductee he would have a bronze bust that is representative of no team along with a plaque that lists the teams he played and coached for.

Discipline of Steel
02-04-2009, 02:52 PM
Like every other inductee he would have a bronze bust that is representative of no team along with a plaque that lists the teams he played and coached for.

and Dan Rooney can present him at the induction ceremony.

papillon
02-04-2009, 03:05 PM
The HOF committee is becoming less and less credible as time goes on. I really need someone to explain to me how Dermontti Dawson is not HOF worthy. Peter King makes a statement because of "all the other talent", does that mean that skill players get precedence over linemen? Peter King wouldn't know HOF O-line talent if it came up and bit him in the a$$. Along with every other writer that gets a vote.

Dawson was praised as one of the best ever by coaches, players and front office types when he was playing and since he's been retired. It's ridiculous.

Rant off...that is all

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
02-04-2009, 04:53 PM

What if LeBeau got a permanent Mike-Tyson-like tattoo on his face like this kid?

http://markruinsdinner.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/face-tattoo.jpg

Then when they made his bronze bust, they would have to include the tattoo for accuracy's sake.
He would have to go in as a Steeler then. A-HA!!! Gotcha!!! :lol: