PDA

View Full Version : Fox sports mock draft

anger 82&95
02-04-2009, 07:52 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9168 ... &GT1=39002 (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9168376/A-very-early-NFL-mock-draft?MSNHPHCP&GT1=39002)

AngryAsian
02-04-2009, 09:37 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9168376/A-very-early-NFL-mock-draft?MSNHPHCP&GT1=39002

It would be shocking if a talent like Percy Harvin were to fall that low... if he were to fall all the way to 32#, I would freak. I know OL is a priority, but how can you pass up a talent like that, especially when we have Russell and Davis returning kickoffs. Harvin in a Steeler uniform would be great... from my perspective that is.

Oviedo
02-04-2009, 10:00 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9168376/A-very-early-NFL-mock-draft?MSNHPHCP&GT1=39002

It would be shocking if a talent like Percy Harvin were to fall that low... if he were to fall all the way to 32#, I would freak. I know OL is a priority, but how can you pass up a talent like that, especially when we have Russell and Davis returning kickoffs. Harvin in a Steeler uniform would be great... from my perspective that is.

With Harvin's history on injuries I think it is very likely he falls to the bottom of Round 1 if not out of Round 1. He could be one of those truely great talents who you can't keep on the field. If he was available at #32 it would be very hard not to take him because he would immediately improve the return game. He could be a Devin Hester type player and if you didn't have to force him into the line up as a WR and gave him time to get stronger then he could be something special.

AngryAsian
02-04-2009, 10:04 AM

With Harvin's history on injuries I think it is very likely he falls to the bottom of Round 1 if not out of Round 1. He could be one of those truely great talents who you can't keep on the field. If he was available at #32 it would be very hard not to take him because he would immediately improve the return game. He could be a Devin Hester type player and if you didn't have to force him into the line up as a WR and gave him time to get stronger then he could be something special.

Agreed, brother and you are most certainly correct about the concern level regarding his injuries. But what an instant upgrade to the return game. But I think our needs on the line might take priority. Protect our franchise QB should be the theme of this year's draft.

SidSmythe
02-04-2009, 10:22 AM
I'd take this pick . . . but i also like Alex Mack

MACK is almost a garaunteed great center in this league. He ranks right there w/ Mangold coming out of college. Nothing wrong w/ winning the Superbowl and getting ur future Center for the next 12 yrs the next offseason.

Lebsteel
02-04-2009, 10:28 AM

MACK is almost a garaunteed great center in this league. He ranks right there w/ Mangold coming out of college. Nothing wrong w/ winning the Superbowl and getting ur future Center for the next 12 yrs the next offseason.

Agree 100% :tt1 :tt1 Beatty, Loadholt and the others that might be available are way too risky for me. Alex Mack can play guard and center AND is extremely smart. He won the Draddy Award as the outstanding college football scholar-athlete. I think that translates to being able to learn the playbook very quickly and adapt during game time situations.

RuthlessBurgher
02-04-2009, 10:50 AM

Agree 100% :tt1 :tt1 Beatty, Loadholt and the others that might be available are way too risky for me. Alex Mack can play guard and center AND is extremely smart. He won the Draddy Award as the outstanding college football scholar-athlete. I think that translates to being able to learn the playbook very quickly and adapt during game time situations.

I think I would take the 5th ranked OT Eben Britton if he were to fall (the top 4 OT's should be long gone in the top half of the first round) over Alex Mack and Duke Robinson, but I would take the top center or top guard in the draft over 6th ranked OT William Beatty, who could be really good, but is also more of project. I want no part of Loadholt, who projects to RT instead of LT and seems to me to have a combination of Max Starks' body and Willie Colon's slow feet...I see that as a lateral move at best instead of an necessary upgrade...not what I am looking for in a first round pick.

MaxAMillion
02-04-2009, 11:02 AM

I think I would take the 5th ranked OT Eben Britton if he were to fall (the top 4 OT's should be long gone in the top half of the first round) over Alex Mack and Duke Robinson, but I would take the top center or top guard in the draft over 6th ranked OT William Beatty, who could be really good, but is also more of project. I want no part of Loadholt, who projects to RT instead of LT and seems to me to have a combination of Max Starks' body and Willie Colon's slow feet...I see that as a lateral move at best instead of an necessary upgrade...not what I am looking for in a first round pick.

It is an interesting question. Britton probably can't help you next year, but he most likely will be a starter at LT. On the other hand Mack and Robinson have the ability to play as rookies but they are not at a premium position.
I think FA is a big part of the equation. If the team resigns Starks, they won't invest a 1st round pick on a LT.

I want to see a new LG and a new RT. Colon should at least be tried inside. I would rather see the team take a short term flyer on Runyan at RT than go with Colon again at RT next season.

Oviedo
02-04-2009, 11:08 AM

I think the available players at #32 will probably be:

Alex Mack--future great Center
Max Unger--potential very good Center who may be able to play RT immediately
Duke Robinson--could be Guard for the next 10 years
Phil Loadholdt--could step in a RT but if moved inside to Guard could be great for many years

I'm not sold Britton is anything more than a one season wonder.

SidSmythe
02-04-2009, 12:44 PM

Phil Loadholdt--could step in a RT but if moved inside to Guard could be great for many years

With all the talk about ROBINSON at Guard, chances are he's gone by #32. Remember Brandon Albert last year?? We could even spit on him at #23.

I think our weaknesses on the O-Line are right up the middle. Starting at the Center and working out is a great way to start

RuthlessBurgher
02-04-2009, 01:20 PM

With all the talk about ROBINSON at Guard, chances are he's gone by #32. Remember Brandon Albert last year?? We could even spit on him at #23.

I think our weaknesses on the O-Line are right up the middle. Starting at the Center and working out is a great way to start

But the reason that Albert went in the top 15 last year was that he projected to LT in the NFL. The only reaason he played LG at Virginia is because Eugene Monroe was their LT, and he looks to be a sure fire top 10 pick...perhaps top 5...in this draft. Robinson was a guard in college who projects to guard in the pros. I don't know if Robinson, as the top guard prospect in the draft, will necessarily fall to #32, but I doubt that he would be taken in the top 20. We have a history of taking guards in the latter portion of round 1 (Faneca 26th in '98 and Simmons 30th in '02).

SidSmythe
02-04-2009, 01:23 PM

But the reason that Albert went in the top 15 last year was that he projected to LT in the NFL. The only reaason he played LG at Virginia is because Eugene Monroe was their LT, and he looks to be a sure fire top 10 pick...perhaps top 5...in this draft. Robinson was a guard in college who projects to guard in the pros. I don't know if Robinson, as the top guard prospect in the draft, will necessarily fall to #32, but I doubt that he would be taken in the top 20. We have a history of taking guards in the latter portion of round 1 (Faneca 26th in '98 and Simmons 30th in '02).

That's a good point BUT Albert played Guard in K.C. and I think most teams wanted him to play guard, but his versatility moved him up.

If Robinson is there, great. BUT if Alex Mack is there, that's fine too. :tt1

WoodleyofTroy
02-04-2009, 01:55 PM
Duke Robinson is more comparable to a Ben Grubbs, a true late 1st/early 2nd Guard, not a Branden Albert or Shawn Andrews for that matter....he should be there.

Oviedo
02-04-2009, 01:55 PM
I think Loadholdt could be better at Guard than either Mack or Robinson. Draft him and slide him inside.

WoodleyofTroy
02-04-2009, 02:04 PM
I think Loadholdt could be better at Guard than either Mack or Robinson. Draft him and slide him inside.

I see Loadholt being one of those guys that drops big time in the draft. I'm talking 3rd round where everyone says "omg he's still on the board".. The combine will not be his friend.

In Mack and Robinson, you just know what you're getting and feel safe about it. Both #1's at their position.

Steel Life
02-04-2009, 09:46 PM
Mack-Daddy at 1.32 8)

Flasteel
02-04-2009, 11:31 PM

Agreed, brother and you are most certainly correct about the concern level regarding his injuries. But what an instant upgrade to the return game. But I think our needs on the line might take priority. Protect our franchise QB should be the theme of this year's draft.

I also agree about the injury question with Harvin and it could drop him that low. As much as I love his explosive talent, none of us have ever seen him return a kick or a punt. If we want a Gator who can do that (and who was one of the best in the nation), then let's burn a 6th round pick on Brandon James instead. Our need along the line far outweighs any potential kick return benefit we may get from Harvin and we are already loaded down at WR.

Go Big, Go Ugly.

Chadman
02-04-2009, 11:40 PM

I see Loadholt being one of those guys that drops big time in the draft. I'm talking 3rd round where everyone says "omg he's still on the board".. The combine will not be his friend.

In Mack and Robinson, you just know what you're getting and feel safe about it. Both #1's at their position.

Going to disagree there- Loadholt looked slimmer than expected at the Senior Bowl & was suggested that he could afford to even gain weight.

He's strong, so lifts won't be a problem.

He has long, long arms & stands at 6'8"- that'll be viewed as positive.

He won't run well- but do you expect a 6'8" 350lb guy to run fast? Chadman bets the scouts don't either.

One on one at the Senior Bowl practices he dominated his opposition for the most part.

The combine might be better for Loadholt than the Senior Bowl.

Gosder Cherilous was the #1 RT on the board last year & went in Round 1- expect Loadholt to do the same.

WoodleyofTroy
02-05-2009, 02:21 PM

Going to disagree there- Loadholt looked slimmer than expected at the Senior Bowl & was suggested that he could afford to even gain weight.

He's strong, so lifts won't be a problem.

He has long, long arms & stands at 6'8"- that'll be viewed as positive.

He won't run well- but do you expect a 6'8" 350lb guy to run fast? Chadman bets the scouts don't either.

One on one at the Senior Bowl practices he dominated his opposition for the most part.

The combine might be better for Loadholt than the Senior Bowl.

Gosder Cherilous was the #1 RT on the board last year & went in Round 1- expect Loadholt to do the same.

Did you watch the Senior Bowl? He let up a sack fumble for a touchdown in the endzone, with the End using one move. And if he was dominating the one on one's, they wouldn't of kept mentioning that he may need to slide inside to Guard at the next level over and over again.

pick6
02-05-2009, 03:41 PM
Im going to start this out by being as honest as possible. Im greedy. ok ...with that said, I know the conventional wisdom points to an Oline in serious need of improvement. But come on, we just won the superbowl with these guys and we should have simmons coming back and smith is on the mend. I know, I know, I know we need to start building this line through the draft before ben gets hurt. But here me out. This Brandon Pettigrew (TE Oklahome State) kid would be a nice fit in our Bruce Arians 2TE system. Spaeth would be a great number 3 TE. Spaeth's blocking has been terrible at times(superbowl). If we are committed to the Arians system then this guy would make that system work twice as efficiently as it did this year. His blocking is excellent and his hands are awesome. We would have the best 3 te's in the NFL and this makes sense on a team that features 2 and 3 TE sets. We can get a great interior Olineman in the second and this would juggle things up a bit on the line. This is all contingent on keeping CB B. McFadden. If we lose him we may need to go best CB available in the 1st round depending on who is available. What do you think.

NW Steeler
02-05-2009, 03:56 PM
Im going to start this out by being as honest as possible. Im greedy. ok ...with that said, I know the conventional wisdom points to an Oline in serious need of improvement. But come on, we just won the superbowl with these guys and we should have simmons coming back and smith is on the mend. I know, I know, I know we need to start building this line through the draft before ben gets hurt. But here me out. This Brandon Pettigrew (TE Oklahome State) kid would be a nice fit in our Bruce Arians 2TE system. Spaeth would be a great number 3 TE. Spaeth's blocking has been terrible at times(superbowl). If we are committed to the Arians system then this guy would make that system work twice as efficiently as it did this year. His blocking is excellent and his hands are awesome. We would have the best 3 te's in the NFL and this makes sense on a team that features 2 and 3 TE sets. We can get a great interior Olineman in the second and this would juggle things up a bit on the line. This is all contingent on keeping CB B. McFadden. If we lose him we may need to go best CB available in the 1st round depending on who is available. What do you think.

You certainly have made your point, but I'd say there is no way in HELL that they will draft a TE in this draft PERIOD, let alone the first round. But then again, that's just my opinion. No offense.

Oviedo
02-05-2009, 04:31 PM
Mine is better than Fox:

1. Alex Mack, OC or Duke Robinson, G. Colbert tends to pick the top ranked player at their position in Round 1. Mack and Robinson both fit that profile
Alternative: Phil Loadholdt, OL. If moved inside to Guard could be a monster. Max Unger, OL, may have best “positional Flexibility in the draft.

2. Jarron Gilbert, DT, 6’6”, 280lbs, San Jose State
Alternative: Alex Magee, 6’4” 295lbs, Purdue

3a. Kraig Urbik, , OG/OL, 6’6”, 332lbs., Wisconsin
Alternative: Fenuki Tupou, 6’6’ 322lbs, Oregon

3b. Joe Burnett, CB/KR, 5’11”, 185lbs, Central Florida

4. Dorrell Scott, DL, 6’4” 320lbs
Alternative: Mitch King, DT, 6’3” 280lbs, Iowa

5. Deon Butler, WR, 5’10”, 170lbs, Penn State
Alternative: Patrick Turner, WR, 6’5”, 220lbs, USC or Jordan Norwood, WR, Penn State

6. Quinn Johnson, FB, 6’1”, 262lbs., LSU

7. Eric Vandenheuvel, OL, 6’7”, 324lbs, Wisc.

7. James Williams, DB, 6’, 180lbs, Southern Conn.

pick6
02-05-2009, 08:46 PM
Mine is better than Fox:

1. Alex Mack, OC or Duke Robinson, G. Colbert tends to pick the top ranked player at their position in Round 1. Mack and Robinson both fit that profile
Alternative: Phil Loadholdt, OL. If moved inside to Guard could be a monster. Max Unger, OL, may have best “positional Flexibility in the draft.

Alternative: Patrick Turner, WR, 6’5”, 220lbs, USC or Jordan Norwood, WR, Penn State

Wow this is a good draft. but Duke Robinson scares me. Its like he is standing in cement in pass protection. but if he gets his meathooks on you, it's time for breakfast..pancakes.

pick6
02-05-2009, 08:53 PM

You certainly have made your point, but I'd say there is no way in HELL that they will draft a TE in this draft PERIOD, let alone the first round. But then again, that's just my opinion. No offense.
None taken. I understand where you are coming from. It would be a long shot and maybe not such a good idea. Here's to hoping the Cards don't get RB McCoy from Pitt. With Mccoy and Fitz they would have the two best players from Pitt since Tony Dorsett other than Marino.

steelz09
02-05-2009, 09:06 PM
sign me up for alex mack (even if Duke Robinson is available). start him at guard then when hartwig retires, move him to center

steeler_george
02-07-2009, 09:29 AM
Being a deep draft at center and guard position, and with the state or our OL, would you trade down from 32 to pick up more picks in the second and third to solidify this OL. (Is there much difference in value at 32 compared to 35-40)

Then trade up again to gain more picks in the second. Maybe end up with a total of 4-5 picks the 2nd and the 3rd round.

Or is it not possible with salary cap?

Lebsteel
02-07-2009, 11:01 AM
Mine is better than Fox:

Great mock! Very realistic. I don't know that much about Gilbert other than watching a video of him, but he seems more like a Javon Kearse-type. I'm not sure he'd be stout enough to be a 3-4 DE. But I do like the idea of taking a DL with that pick. Also, us PSU homers love the Rd. 5 picks!!

RuthlessBurgher
02-07-2009, 01:02 PM
Being a deep draft at center and guard position, and with the state or our OL, would you trade down from 32 to pick up more picks in the second and third to solidify this OL. (Is there much difference in value at 32 compared to 35-40)

Then trade up again to gain more picks in the second. Maybe end up with a total of 4-5 picks the 2nd and the 3rd round.

I think there is a drop-off after the top center (Mack) and a drop-off after the top guard (Robinson). Those are the only interior linemen that have a 1st round grade in my mind, so if one of them are available at #32, I think you take him (don't trade back). The only trading I would do is trading up in case one of the top LT prospects happens to fall a bit (unlikely, but still an option if it happens...just like they did with Troy and Santonio to go up and get the guy that they truly want).

WoodleyofTroy
02-07-2009, 01:20 PM

I think there is a drop-off after the top center (Mack) and a drop-off after the top guard (Robinson). Those are the only interior linemen that have a 1st round grade in my mind, so if one of them are available at #32, I think you take him (don't trade back). The only trading I would do is trading up in case one of the top LT prospects happens to fall a bit (unlikely, but still an option if it happens...just like they did with Troy and Santonio to go up and get the guy that they truly want).

There is a huge drop off in Guards after Robinson. But I've never seen this many Centers considered as a "franchise" guy. The ratings are that close between the 3. Normally I'd be all over a guy like Mack because of #1 value (i.e. a Heath Miller pick), but Unger and Wood are right there. You don't see top centers come around every draft, let alone 3.

RuthlessBurgher
02-07-2009, 01:53 PM

There is a huge drop off in Guards after Robinson. But I've never seen this many Centers considered as a "franchise" guy. The ratings are that close between the 3. Normally I'd be all over a guy like Mack because of #1 value (i.e. a Heath Miller pick), but Unger and Wood are right there. You don't see top centers come around every draft, let alone 3.

There are certainly more center prospects than usual (could have 5 go off the board in the first 3 round, which is quite unusual) but I think that Mack is the sole elite prospect worthy of taking in the first round. He's got the same type of talent that Mangold had when he came out a few years ago, plus he is perhaps the top scholar-athlete in this draft (since Rhodes Scholar Myron Rolle is foregoing the draft in favor of studying at Oxford this year). I'm not even sure that center is the best position for Max Unger yet. His versatility is a plus, but you wonder if he will settle in an take over a position on his NFL team or if his coaches will just make him a unique "6th man" that could take over at any spot if a starting o-lineman went down. Luigs, Wood, and Caldwell are all 2nd or 3rd round guys, but I don't see any of them being all that much better than the other guys. If we don't get Mack in Round 1, I would have no problem with them drafting one of these other guys in rounds 2 or 3, but I think Mack is by far the best of bunch. He could be the next in a line of Mansfield-Webster-Dawson-Hartings in Pittsburgh.

HardlinerKC
02-07-2009, 09:54 PM
I've got to weigh in here for the Chiefs. I see all these clowns, including this one, thinking just because a team could not sack a bag of flour last year, they surely must reach for a pass rushing DE like Orapko.

Easy rationale, easy projection and, bring on the next case? The Chiefs' problems are many including a lack of a rush but first things first. The right side of the Oline was even more horrid in 2008. Getting a strong foundation for a team with many holes is where they should go and take the best graded OT to bookend with an impressive Branden Albert.

Let's say it's Oher. OK, best man gets the LT position, the other kicks to the right side and now we have far better protection and drive blocking for the passing and running games which were weak in 2008. I think that's where Pioli will go as well and it's the smart play, NOT a high #3 overall pick gambled on an Orapko questionable DE type.

steeler_george
02-08-2009, 01:06 PM
you mean Mansfield-Webster-Dawson-Hartings-Mahn-Hartwig in Pittsburgh.

I was actually referring being deep at the center position, with the idea that they could also play guard.

With a selection of a center, is it possible that Hartwig slid over to a starting Guard position. What is he better as a center or guard?

Mister Pittsburgh
02-08-2009, 02:20 PM
My take:

1st Rnd: OC/OG Alex Mack
(Alternates are OT/OC Max Unger & OT Eben Britton)

SteelerOfDeVille
02-09-2009, 02:21 PM
If Duke Robinson was still there, and the Steelers passed, I'd vomit.

I know, I know, we need an OT.. and one early. And Beatty looks to be pretty darned good. But, look at that thread with sacks given up by position... Our guards leave much to be desired... and the team is likely to re-sign Max (even if only to franchise him again) and Essex.

Either Simmons or Kemo isn't likely to be back, IMO. And in either case, you'd be looking for an eventual successor...