PDA

View Full Version : "He Needed Chewed Out" - Ben/Stapleton on Letterman

SanAntonioSteelerFan
02-04-2009, 01:26 AM
Here's Ben's appearance on Letterman tonight. It's awesome! He talks about the game a lot. Then Letterman asks him about the safety, "What do you say to a guy who does that, in maybe the first game of the season , or maybe in the Superbowl, does he know he did something wrong, or do you have to talk to him?"

Then Ben says, "Well, it wasn't the first game of the season ... He needed chewed out ..."

Did Ben always talk like that (is that how they talk in Wherever, Ohio he's from), or did he pick it up in the 'burgh?

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

http://lateshow.cbs.com/latenight/lates ... 7074.phtml (http://lateshow.cbs.com/latenight/lateshow/video_player/index/php/977074.phtml)

bostonsteeler
02-04-2009, 01:31 AM
Burghese. He's picked it up in da burgh.

Mel Blount's G
02-04-2009, 03:41 AM
I think he had a bit of (hill)billy-e-ism when he first arrived and then add the aforementioned Burghese influence and....WHALAA!

SanAntonioSteelerFan
02-04-2009, 08:33 AM
Did you watch the clip too? Wasn't it great!

Chachi
02-04-2009, 08:35 AM
I didn't think Letterman was asking about the safety (it was HArtings that was called in that instance).

I think he was asking about the hold to begin the final drive.

Ozey74
02-04-2009, 09:35 AM
Missed this. My home PC has been in the shop for the past week & all I have is my work PC. I look foward to watching this in a few days!!

RuthlessBurgher
02-04-2009, 09:54 AM
I didn't think Letterman was asking about the safety (it was HArtings that was called in that instance).

I think he was asking about the hold to begin the final drive.

Hartwig. Hartings was Ben's center in his previous Super Bowl win.

calmkiller
02-04-2009, 10:01 AM
Im not really sure what this thread is about? I am slightly confused.... Is it the fact that he said "chewed out"? That's a common term where I am from....is it not a normal saying?

RuthlessBurgher
02-04-2009, 10:21 AM
Im not really sure what this thread is about? I am slightly confused.... Is it the fact that he said "chewed out"? That's a common term where I am from....is it not a normal saying?

I think "chewed out" is a pretty common term everywhere. I assume that it has more to do with the fact that he said "He Needed Chewed Out" instead of "He Needed To Be Chewed Out."

To be, or not to be...that is the question. Now if only Ben were in Hamlet. Or even Adam Sandler doing Hamlet in Billy Madison.

steelnavy
02-04-2009, 10:28 AM

I believe it is the lack of the words "to be" prior to chewed out. My wife catches me (calls me out) all the time on it and I moved out of the area in '88! It does seem normal, still!

On another note, I never realized that the Burgh had its own dialect until the first time I brought the wife home to meet the parents. Within a couple of days, I regressed to the Pburgh "slang" and it kind of alarmed her a little bit (she's from Baltimore, but has confessed her sins and converted to the Steelers Nation).

My mom still worshes her clothes even today... :D

RuthlessBurgher
02-04-2009, 10:53 AM
I've never lived in Pittsburgh, so I don't have the SWPA dialect. However, from attending all of the games, some of the Pittsburghese has slipped into my daily vocabulary. For instance, somewhere along the line Myron managed to change my pronunciation of the 2 syllable Towel to the 1 syllable Tahl. Mmm-hah.

pfelix73
02-04-2009, 11:48 AM
I'm from PA, what's wrong with He needed chewed out?....

Now, I'm not from western PA where the word yinz is used quite a bit, but we do call hambergers- hambergs. Must be a PA dutch thing.

I'm in western MD now and we call hamberg bar-b-q- steamer. Anyone have a steamer?

frankthetank1
02-04-2009, 12:04 PM

Now, I'm not from western PA where the word yinz is used quite a bit, but we do call hambergers- hambergs. Must be a PA dutch thing.

I'm in western MD now and we call hamberg bar-b-q- steamer. Anyone have a steamer?

a steamer? now that is kind of odd. when i think of steamers i think of clams :lol:

Discipline of Steel
02-04-2009, 12:24 PM

a steamer? now that is kind of odd. when i think of steamers i think of clams :lol:

BBQ? Clams?? now that is kind of odd. When I think of steamers, I think of something I left on the forest floor on a cold morning. :moon

Iron Shiek
02-04-2009, 12:24 PM
Gross. The only thing I think of when I hear Steamer is a Cleveland Steamer...yuck.

Look it up. You won't think of burgers anymore.

pfelix73
02-04-2009, 12:25 PM
It is odd. I moved down here after college in 1994 and I'm still getting used to it. My wife (Hagerstown native) has the kids using that term already. My neighbor that lives behind us just moved in from Bedford, PA. They use the yinz term, so it ain't far away from us as far as the dialect stuff goes. We're about 75-80 miles from Bedford. Hagersbush folk don't use that yinz term.

Here's another one for ya-

push pronounced pooosh.

Up there pronounced up air.

calmkiller
02-04-2009, 12:27 PM
I am from eastern pan handle WV and ive always said it "he needed chewed out" not "he needed to be chewed out". Guess I never knew I was saying it wrong.

pfelix73
02-04-2009, 12:28 PM
and last but not least-

waynesboro pronounced waynesbora.

any town with Boro (borough) on the end of it is pronounced Bora.

stlrz d
02-04-2009, 12:32 PM
Even comes with a translator.

http://www.pittsburghese.com/

SanAntonioSteelerFan
02-04-2009, 12:32 PM
What I mainly wanted to do was post the Letterman bit so every one could see it!

Then, as an aside, knowing Ben wasn't from the 'burgh, I was wondering if "he needed chewed out" (as opposed to "... needed to be chewed out") was how people in his part of Ohio spoke. I knew it was 'burghese cause I went to school there, but I didn't know how far away that phrasing was used.

>> Sorry for hijacking my own thread in the first post!
>> That's OK, just don't do it again.

stlrz d
02-04-2009, 12:38 PM
I would imagine there is some regionalism to the way things are said.

For example, I got my first "yinz" on the Ohio Turnpike at a rest stop called Brady's Leap. As I was paying for gas the woman asked me, "Yinz going to the game?"

Cracked me up!

Iron Shiek
02-04-2009, 12:41 PM
What I mainly wanted to do was post the Letterman bit so every one could see it!

Then, as an aside, knowing Ben wasn't from the 'burgh, I was wondering if "he needed chewed out" (as opposed to "... needed to be chewed out") was how people in his part of Ohio spoke. I knew it was 'burghese cause I went to school there, but I didn't know how far away that phrasing was used.

>> Sorry for hijacking my own thread in the first post!
>> That's OK, just don't do it again.

Holy $hit that was funny. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

What about instead of you guys....you's guys? Is that Burghese? My girl is from Cincy and always says it. I rarely heard that though in northern or central Ohio.

stlrz d
02-04-2009, 12:45 PM
IS - People in WI say "youse guys" too.

RuthlessBurgher
02-04-2009, 12:52 PM
IS - People in WI say "youse guys" too.

When I hear "Youze Guys" the first thing I think of is the Sopranos Jersey mob types. So I guess that is not a particularly regional thing if it is also used in Pittsburgh, Cincy, Wisconsin, etc.

frankthetank1
02-04-2009, 12:55 PM
not for nuttin is one saying i get the most crap for. no one understands what im saying unless i am ct, ny or nj

Sugar
02-04-2009, 01:40 PM
My wife speaks the same way BB did in the clip and she's also from OH (she's never even been to PA). I've given up correcting her grammar (for the most part), but my brothers will still give her a rash about it if they're around.

It's interesting to me that he references "chewed out" at all considering his public sentiments concerning the line.