PDA

View Full Version : Challenges and booth reviews

SteelCrazy
02-03-2009, 12:20 PM
Does it take away from an exciting play or TD when its called good, but the play is close and you know a challenge could change everything in a matter of minutes?

I cant let myself get too excited, even with the Santonio TD, because I know its going to get reviewed and whether you agree it was good or not, the refs sometimes see it differently than you.

I'd rather keep the human element to it and keep reviews out of the game. Although it works sometimes, it takes way too much fun out of the game for me.

Thoughts?

SteelCrazy
02-03-2009, 02:57 PM
Am I the only one? Maybe I'm just weird........

snarky
02-03-2009, 03:05 PM
My thinking over the last few days has been this: The NFL is caught in a technology bind. with the advent of DVRs and YouTube there will always be whiners who are upset when their team loses and replay the game looking for every single call that doesn't go their way. It happens every year and nobody stops to think that fans of the winning team could probably do the same but they can't be bothered. I mean, why whine about missed calls in a game that you won.

On the other hand, I think that the NFL owes it to the fans to get the calls right whenever they can. I would like to see them change the review rule in two ways.

1) Give teams an extra challenge in the playoffs (instead of 2/3 go to 3/4). The bigger the game, the more important it is that stuff is called correctly.
2) Allow the challenge flag as a 'fourth timeout' in the last two minutes of a half (just like injuries) for instances such as the last fumble on Sunday. If whis wants to throw his remaining flag to challenge the fumble, he should be allowed to do so. I know the booth did a quick review and determined that it was clearly a fumble and that there was no need for an official review, but if Whis is still holding a challenge and his fourth timeout hasn't been used yet, he should be able to challenge.

feltdizz
02-03-2009, 04:49 PM
Does it take away from an exciting play or TD when its called good, but the play is close and you know a challenge could change everything in a matter of minutes?

I cant let myself get too excited, even with the Santonio TD, because I know its going to get reviewed and whether you agree it was good or not, the refs sometimes see it differently than you.

I'd rather keep the human element to it and keep reviews out of the game. Although it works sometimes, it takes way too much fun out of the game for me.

Thoughts?

I hate it.... my Dad sets off fireworks when we score... twice he said he was letting off his best stuff and all the neighbors who usually come outside to watch were inside watching the reviews.

It really takes away that element of surprise.. you cheer but you have to cap it just a little.

Iron Shiek
02-03-2009, 04:53 PM
Yeah the reviews totally diffused any excitement for me. And it happend on 3 freakin touchdowns. WTF! One called back but other two stood at least. But we had to sit there and wait to cheer. That's crap. But you gotta try and get the plays right. They can't go back to nothing.

I think do away with challenges and have another official in the booth watching every play in slow motion and buzz down when they need to take a closer look. Basically the college system. Its relatively fast and at least calls are getting corrected.

feltdizz
02-03-2009, 04:55 PM
My thinking over the last few days has been this: The NFL is caught in a technology bind. with the advent of DVRs and YouTube there will always be whiners who are upset when their team loses and replay the game looking for every single call that doesn't go their way. It happens every year and nobody stops to think that fans of the winning team could probably do the same but they can't be bothered. I mean, why whine about missed calls in a game that you won.

On the other hand, I think that the NFL owes it to the fans to get the calls right whenever they can. I would like to see them change the review rule in two ways.

1) Give teams an extra challenge in the playoffs (instead of 2/3 go to 3/4). The bigger the game, the more important it is that stuff is called correctly.
2) Allow the challenge flag as a 'fourth timeout' in the last two minutes of a half (just like injuries) for instances such as the last fumble on Sunday. If whis wants to throw his remaining flag to challenge the fumble, he should be allowed to do so. I know the booth did a quick review and determined that it was clearly a fumble and that there was no need for an official review, but if Whis is still holding a challenge and his fourth timeout hasn't been used yet, he should be able to challenge.

While I like getting it right... I think reviews have taken away from the thick skin of the game..

calls were missed in the 90's and 80's but fans didn't cry like they do now.

I really hate rewarding the Offense when the D does everything they can to cause a fumble and half an inch is debated for a whole year... I think anytime a QB is hit and he is attempting a throw and it doesn't get past the LOS the chances of it being incomplete are slim.

I hate how everyone is crying like the Steelers did something wrong by causing or almost causing a fumble. If it was Ben I would say it was incomplete... but I would also say it was the stinking OL or Ben's fault for holding the ball so long...LOL!!!

fans nowadays always want the ref bailout.

feltdizz
02-03-2009, 05:01 PM
Yeah the reviews totally diffused any excitement for me. And it happend on 3 freakin touchdowns. WTF! One called back but other two stood at least. But we had to sit there and wait to cheer. That's crap. But you gotta try and get the plays right. They can't go back to nothing.

I think do away with challenges and have another official in the booth watching every play in slow motion and buzz down when they need to take a closer look. Basically the college system. Its relatively fast and at least calls are getting corrected.

College games are 4 to 5 hours nowadays... I do think the ref should be up there with HD theater screens... but lately these NFL fans and media have been depending on the refs way too much to win.

The first fumble that was reversed I thought it was a fumble... but I wouldn't use it as an excuse if we lost.
The safety call in the endzone? Mad.. but not the reason we would have lost.

I just don't get blaming the refs for not turning fumbles into incompletions everytime

papillon
02-03-2009, 05:21 PM
I've said it for a long time that part of the reason the officiating is so poor is due to the replay rules. They feel like they have a security blanket and don't really pay attention to what is happening in the game. Then they throw a flag and figure if they get it wrong the replay will correct it. It takes away form the continuity of the game and, since, the players can make mistakes, why not the referees?

I've watched professional football since 1970 and the fans, players and coaches all got over bad calls. Now, it seems like everyone would rather whine about the officiating that seeing a football game played.

Get rid of instant replay completely.

You want to see a game played exactly as the inventor intended? You should watch a soccer game on FSC or GOLTV. They start the game and it never stops, the clock runs during injuries, goal celbrations, etc. If the referee deems that there should be time added due to injury or celebration he adds it to the end of the half or game.

No F**king commercials to kill the momentum or continuity of a game. After watching a soccer game it's almost unbearable to watch any commercialized sporting event.

Pappy