PDA

View Full Version : What to do with the OL?

Mister Pittsburgh
02-03-2009, 10:58 AM
Lots of free agents on the offensive line, and some other things to take into consideration. Will Kendall Simmons start again? Is Tony Hills capable? So tell me, how would you build a solid OL around Ben for the 2009 season and our shot at repeating (don't tell Tomlin I said that)?

Lebsteel
02-03-2009, 11:03 AM
Lots of free agents on the offensive line, and some other things to take into consideration. Will Kendall Simmons start again? Is Tony Hills capable? So tell me, how would you build a solid OL around Ben for the 2009 season and our shot at repeating (don't tell Tomlin I said that)?

Here are my thoughts:
Starks--walks
Kemoeatu--walks
Smith--sign for vet minimum IF healthy
Colon--offer contract and move to guard
Simmons--stuck with him, use as starter if he can win position or to teach draft pick
Essex--sign as backup

Sign quality FA OL like Gross, LT or Jahri Evans, G

Draft
1) Alex Mack C, Duke Robinson, LG or Tyson Jackson, DE
2) OL or DE depending on Rd. 1
3) OL and DB

Oviedo
02-03-2009, 11:28 AM
IMO as correctly pointed out Tony Hills is ironically the key to the OL next year.

I would do the following:

LT-resign Starks
LG-Let Kemo walk and move Colon here
C-Hartwig and draft possible replacement
RG-Simmons or Stapleton
RT-Hills or Free Agent

Resign Trai Essex to back up $$ and resign Marvel Smith to vet minimum

In the draft I would pick up in order:

a. a Center/Guard who can play both positions, e.g. Max Unger, Alex Mack (Round 1/2)
b. A RT, e.g. Fenuki Tupou, Troy Kropog, Kraig Urbik (Round 3)
c. A back up lineman with positional flexibility, e.g. AQ Shipley, Greg Isadaner (Round 4/5)

Don't expect a rookie to come in and earn a starting position. IMO it won't happen.

SidSmythe
02-03-2009, 12:04 PM
Never thought I'd say this, but our best option (outside of a TOP Tier FA signing like Jordan Gross) is Max Starks at LT.

I say Alex Mack is our #1 pick

No way do we resign Marvel Smith . . . he's a gimp and it's time to move on. Maybe some sucker will give him a nice contract and we will get a comp pick for him

BradshawsHairdresser
02-03-2009, 01:34 PM
Never thought I'd say this, but our best option (outside of a TOP Tier FA signing like Jordan Gross) is Max Starks at LT.

I say Alex Mack is our #1 pick

No way do we resign Marvel Smith . . . he's a gimp and it's time to move on. Maybe some sucker will give him a nice contract and we will get a comp pick for him

Agreed. Marvel will want pretty big money, and several years. It makes no sense to waste the cap space on a player who will probably only be in for a few games, at best.
At his age, and in his condition, it's time to say, "Thanks for your contributions; now get on with your life's work."

steeler_george
02-03-2009, 03:43 PM
IMO as correctly pointed out Tony Hills is ironically the key to the OL next year.

LT-resign Starks
RG-Simmons or Stapleton
RT-Hills or Free Agent

a. a Center/Guard who can play both positions, e.g. Max Unger, Alex Mack (Round 1/2)
c. A back up lineman with positional flexibility, e.g. AQ Shipley, Greg Isadaner (Round 4/5)

Don't expect a rookie to come in and earn a starting position. IMO it won't happen.

I just releized we only have one tacke under contract and that is Colon. We need to find some talent this year,via the draft or FA. With all those contracts gone we should be able to afford a top tier FA or a few good FA such as Hartwig. Addition by subtraction.

But you got me thinking, picking at 32 not many top tackles, guards, or corner backs are going to be there. But the best Center might.

By picking the best center, we can insert the rookie to the starting line up, slid Hartwig to Guard where he has experience there. And let a FA/Simmons/Stapleton/Colon fight it out for the other Guard spot.

As for tackle postion .......................just pray for miracles.

RuthlessBurgher
02-03-2009, 04:31 PM

LT-resign Starks
RG-Simmons or Stapleton
RT-Hills or Free Agent

I just releized we only have one tacke under contract and that is Colon. We need to find some talent this year,via the draft or FA. With all those contracts gone we should be able to afford a top tier FA or a few good FA such as Hartwig. Addition by subtraction.

But you got me thinking, picking at 32 not many top tackles, guards, or corner backs are going to be there. But the best Center might.

By picking the best center, we can insert the rookie to the starting line up, slid Hartwig to Guard where he has experience there. And let a FA/Simmons/Stapleton/Colon fight it out for the other Guard spot.

As for tackle postion .......................just pray for miracles.

Colon isn't under contract either. He's a restricted free agent, though (unlike Starks, Marvel, and Essex who are all unrestricted free agents...in addition to Bryant McFadden and Chris Kemoeatu as well). We should be able to retain Colon's services for one more year simply by tendering him a qualifying offer, though. If someone offers him a deal and we don't choose to match it, we would get a 4th round pick in 2010 for him (assuming he gets tendered at the lowest level). I think Hills is the only tackle under contract. I would assume that Parquet and Capizzi have been working on one-year deals.

Lonbull
02-03-2009, 05:31 PM
As I've been thinking about the Offensive Line I'm working from the Inside out.

Re-sign Chris Kemoeatu - I know this is an unpopular move right now, however 2008 was his first full season starting and he was starting next to a new center Hartwig, and a revolving LT, I think the guy can improve in the next few seasons. He knows the system now and is more likely to be solid than a Rookie next season.

Re-Sign Trai Essex - This guy I believe is exactly the kind of guy Mike Tomlin likes to have, he's versatile and in a pinch I bet he could play Guard / Tackle and (yes) Tight End. Trai really hasn't done much for the Steelers, however he did start at Left Tackle when Marvel went down, he knows the offense and could be a "decent" starter in a short term. To me he offers a lot of value at what should be a reasonable price tag.

That gives us:

Simmons - who is a health concern
Stapleton - A back-up Center / Guard with potential
Hartwig - We could use an upgrade here - but there are more pressing needs - and it was his first year with us as well.
and
Kemoeatu

The inside of our line at the very least offers some stability with potential.

At this point the worst we have is:

Tony Hills / Simmons / Hartwig / Kemo or Staple / Trai Essex.

I would let Colon go - Tomlin seems to really like this guy, so I'm guessing he stays but I can't stomach watching Colon go flying backwards on his tail for many more seasons.

Max Starks - Unlike Colon, Tomlin doesn't seem to like Starks and therefore I don't see a reason for paying this guy a huge sum so that he can "maybe" play like a starter.

Marvel Smith - He hasn't been healthy for the past several years it's time to let him go. A vet minimum is an insult for a "starting LT" and if we don't intend on starting him - bring in some youth.

Free Agency -

With Starks and Smith off the payroll you can definitely afford someone like

Khalif Barnes - Jaguars (27 years old) or Jordan Gross - Panthers (29)

In my scenerio - we would then draft a Tackle to compete for RT and a Center in the first 4 rounds.

Providing us with this possibility:

Tackles
Rookie
Tony Hills
T. Essex
Khalif Barnes

Center
Rookie
Stapleton
Hartwig

Guards
Simmons
Kemoeatu
*Stapleton
*Essex.

To me Essex and Stapleton are really the keys to next season - if the Steelers believe they can start at Tackle / Guard and Center / Guard when called upon then that leaves the 32 pick free to draft BPA along the Oline hence improving it.

L.B.

WoodleyofTroy
02-03-2009, 05:50 PM
I think Britton, Mack, or Robinson could all come in on day one and not just start, but hold his own at the same time. A guy like Beatty, no. Besides, it's not like they're competing against all pro's in training camp.

My take on what to do (just a few points for now).

I'd like to re-sign Starks, but being that Gross is really the only quality lineman out there, someone will throw the green at Max, not too mention the Super Bowl inflated hyped out contract being in the mix, I'd rather not get involved. Let him benefit from the big game ala Randle el, Chris Hope, somewhere else.

Move Colon back to Guard. I don't know how many times this needs to be said, seriously, it's getting ridiculous. Not that it's all about size, but just look at the top 6 Tackles in this draft that are first round talents. All 6'6" and above. Of course other intangibles are involved (most important for me is smarts) but these guys are monsters.

I think Marvel stays. If he stayed healthy this year, without a doubt he'd follow in Faneca's footsteps, but he missed out on that famous "contract year". I wouldn't mind drafting his replacement, and keeping Marvel in shape/healthy throughout the year much like we did with Starks. Smith could come in handy and a valuable asset to the team all around.

Chadman
02-03-2009, 06:15 PM
If it was up to Chadman (which it's not, but really- it should be), this would be the OL scenario for next season...

LT- Resign Max Starks. He's young & in Chadman's opinion, has played solidly every time he was called on to play the position. No- he doesn't have 'the best feet', but unless the Steelers choose to overpay for Jordan Gross (who will be the Panthers #1 priority so it'll cost to get him away from Carolina) or as some have suggested Kalif Barnes (who Chadman read has given up the most individual sacks at LT in the NFL at 7.5), then the Steelers will need to use pick #32 to select a starting LT- which will basically give them a shot at the 6th or 7th best LT option- not a good scenario. So, with all that in mind, Starks is actually the 'best option' for LT- kind of a 'devil you know' type situation. Chadman would, like most have advocated, re-sign Trai Essex too- back-up LT & OG. Tony Hills can be moved over to RT.

LG- Kemo got worse as the year went on. There is some temptation to bring him back, but keep in mind that the Steelers committed a 5 year deal to Kendall Simmons, who is to come back onto the line this year. Chadman would let Kemo walk & slot Simmons into LG next to Starks.

OC- Keep Hartwig right here & don't move him until there is a better option.

RG- Willie Colon would be the new RG. If you watch Colon's play at RT you notice two things- if he blocks the guy right in front of him, he's strong at the point & doesn't lose his battle. If he has to deal with a guy going to the outside of him, his feet get him in all sorts- he's simply not fast enough to deal with outside rushers. So- move Colon inside to RG & you should have a guy that can hld up at the point & not have to deal with speedy outside rushers- making him a very viable option inside. Also- keep in mind that like Starks, Colon is a young player, so there will be room for improvement.

RT- Here's your new player. Chadman would use pick #32 on Phil Loadholt- not the 'best' OT option in the draft, but easily the #1 RT in the draft. He's a massive man that can engulf defenders. Looked good at the Senior Bowl. Tony Hills is his back-up.

Other OL players would include Darnell Stapleton as your back-up OG & OC, Chadman would sign John St Clair from the Bears to back-up nearly every OL position & the Steelers could pick up an Andy Kemp or AQ Shipley later in the draft for depth on the interior.

So..

LT- Max Starks
LG- Kendall Simmons
OC- Justin Hartwig
RG- Willie Colon
RT- Phil Loadholt

OT- Trai Essex/Tony Hills/John St Clair
OG/OC- Darnell Stapleton/Andy Kemp/AQ Shipley

steelblood
02-03-2009, 06:30 PM
If it was up to Chadman (which it's not, but really- it should be), this would be the OL scenario for next season...

LT- Resign Max Starks. He's young & in Chadman's opinion, has played solidly every time he was called on to play the position. No- he doesn't have 'the best feet', but unless the Steelers choose to overpay for Jordan Gross (who will be the Panthers #1 priority so it'll cost to get him away from Carolina) or as some have suggested Kalif Barnes (who Chadman read has given up the most individual sacks at LT in the NFL at 7.5), then the Steelers will need to use pick #32 to select a starting LT- which will basically give them a shot at the 6th or 7th best LT option- not a good scenario. So, with all that in mind, Starks is actually the 'best option' for LT- kind of a 'devil you know' type situation. Chadman would, like most have advocated, re-sign Trai Essex too- back-up LT & OG. Tony Hills can be moved over to RT.

LG- Kemo got worse as the year went on. There is some temptation to bring him back, but keep in mind that the Steelers committed a 5 year deal to Kendall Simmons, who is to come back onto the line this year. Chadman would let Kemo walk & slot Simmons into LG next to Starks.

OC- Keep Hartwig right here & don't move him until there is a better option.

RG- Willie Colon would be the new RG. If you watch Colon's play at RT you notice two things- if he blocks the guy right in front of him, he's strong at the point & doesn't lose his battle. If he has to deal with a guy going to the outside of him, his feet get him in all sorts- he's simply not fast enough to deal with outside rushers. So- move Colon inside to RG & you should have a guy that can hld up at the point & not have to deal with speedy outside rushers- making him a very viable option inside. Also- keep in mind that like Starks, Colon is a young player, so there will be room for improvement.

RT- Here's your new player. Chadman would use pick #32 on Phil Loadholt- not the 'best' OT option in the draft, but easily the #1 RT in the draft. He's a massive man that can engulf defenders. Looked good at the Senior Bowl. Tony Hills is his back-up.

Other OL players would include Darnell Stapleton as your back-up OG & OC, Chadman would sign John St Clair from the Bears to back-up nearly every OL position & the Steelers could pick up an Andy Kemp or AQ Shipley later in the draft for depth on the interior.

So..

LT- Max Starks
LG- Kendall Simmons
OC- Justin Hartwig
RG- Willie Colon
RT- Phil Loadholt

OT- Trai Essex/Tony Hills/John St Clair
OG/OC- Darnell Stapleton/Andy Kemp/AQ Shipley

I don't know Chadman. You correctly identify Colon's problem as slow feet and an inability to consistantly block speed/quick rushers. Then you suggest that we draft a RT that is even slower. Did you see Loadholdt try to block Orakpo? Did you see him at the Senior Bowl? He is horrendously slowfooted.

Lonbull
02-03-2009, 06:31 PM
or as some have suggested Kalif Barnes (who Chadman read has given up the most individual sacks at LT in the NFL at 7.5),

:shock: Didn't know that.

Starks is actually the 'best option' for LT- kind of a 'devil you know' type situation. Chadman would, like most have advocated, re-sign Trai Essex too- back-up LT & OG. Tony Hills can be moved over to RT.

Chadman - I think there's some quality evidence that Tomlin didn't like Starks for at least half of this season (reason unknown). What would you do (as GM) if Tomlin told you Starks has to go - what would your back-up plan for Starks be?

And no this doesn't count as your answer to Tomlin - :moon

If Simmons were the best LG why didn't he start there after Faneca left?

RG- Willie Colon would be the new RG.

Although I suppose you could just move Colon to LG then.

LT- Max Starks
LG- Kendall Simmons
OC- Justin Hartwig
RG- Willie Colon
RT- Phil Loadholt

I appreciate that you're only starting one rookie next season - It hasn't usually been the Steelers MO to rush rookies into starting, unless they had too. (at least since Colbert has been on board).

L.B.

Chadman
02-03-2009, 06:52 PM
I don't know Chadman. You correctly identify Colon's problem as slow feet and an inability to consistantly block speed/quick rushers. Then you suggest that we draft a RT that is even slower. Did you see Loadholdt try to block Orakpo? Did you see him at the Senior Bowl? He is horrendously slowfooted.

Orakpo is going to be quick for any OT- not just Loadholt.

Chadman likes Loadholt's feet better than Colon's- Chadman isn't convinced he's slower than Colon at all.

Also- he's got a bigger frame than Colon, so he's more able to 'engulf' the defender than Colon.

In the end, the way Ben plays QB, 'superb' pass blocking might not be required- Ben will run around like a chicken with his head cut off even with good blocking.

The area that needs the greatest improvement is in run blocking.

Loadholt & Colon on the right side 'should' enable the Steelers to run reasonably easily on that side- so much beef & muscle has to have some advantage, right?

Chadman
02-03-2009, 06:54 PM
If Simmons were the best LG why didn't he start there after Faneca left?

Quote:RG- Willie Colon would be the new RG.

Although I suppose you could just move Colon to LG then.

Actually LB, you might be right. With a rookie at RT, it might be more benefit to play Simmons, the more experienced player beside him than Colon.

pfelix73
02-03-2009, 09:00 PM
Well, 1st of all, reality here... no one drafted in this year's draft will be starting come September 2009. It just ain't so, unless something out of the ordinary would happen.

With that said, we will look to our FA's first and foremost.

Marvel Smith is reported as being healthy again. After what, the 3rd or 4th time with a back problem? Considering outsiders do not know much about his injury, and they would be spooked to sign him to a big deal, I believe we have the upper hand with him. The Steelers do know everything about his injury and how it has been healing, we should be able to re-sign him to a 1 year contract dirt cheap, allowing a Hills or a rookie to gain some time to step in in 2010. This has been reported in the local press and it's a very realistic option. So, expect to see Marvel back in 2009.

The question will be what to do with Starks and Kemo. And Simmons and Stapleton to some degree. Starks would be my choice over Smith, but the way he sounded at the media day, he sounds like he's going somewhere else. I'd like to see him stay, but I don't think it's in the cards.

Simmons will be starting at G in 2009. That's a given. He's signed. But will it be L or R?

If Kemo isn't back we have the option of Essex playing LG. I think Kemo will be back at LG. They can afford to re-sign him over Starks, so that's the way I'm leaning.

A lot depends on Hills as well. I'd like to see him push Colon to the bench, IMO.

So, here is my OL as of now:

Smith/ Essex/ Capizzi/ Rookie
Kemo/ Essex/ Rookie
Hartwig/ Stapleton
Simmons/ Stapleton
Hills/ Colon/ Rookie

I believe we draft a G and T in this year's draft but not necessarily in the 1st. I like a Defensive lineman at 32 or whoever falls..... a CB even.

Look at my starting OL. It's virtually the same. You need cohesiveness up front and that means not much turnover. We had turnover this year out of necessity, not by choice.

Well, this is my 2 cents worth. We'll see what happens.

Chadman
02-03-2009, 09:26 PM
Well, 1st of all, reality here... no one drafted in this year's draft will be starting come September 2009. It just ain't so, unless something out of the ordinary would happen.

Why not? Marvel Smith started in his rookie year. Kendall Simmons started in his rookie year. Alan Faneca did too. Didn't Starks play in his first year as well?

It's not beyond belief, and the current OL isn't so good that it can't happen.

This theory that rookies don't start in Pittsburgh is rubbish. Heath Miller, Ben, Santonio, Plexico, Dan Kreider, Casey Hampton...Larry Foote...etc, etc...

Steel Life
02-03-2009, 10:01 PM
Here's my take with the info we have so far...

LT - Resign Starks. He played better than anyone thought he would & with another year & the right conditioning, he might prove to be as good as anyone else we could pick-up, as I think Gross is out of reach. Besides, no rookie is going to step in & start at LT for this team. Re-sign Essex as the back-up.

LG - Draft Alex Mack. I agree with Chadman here - Kemo definitely got worse as the year went on. Despite the physical abilities, his recognition skills just aren't there & that causes a problem with both the running & passing game. The solution here is to draft Alex Mack in the 1st & put him here to put his physical talents & football smarts to use while he acclimates to the pro game & eventually moves over to center.

OC - Hartwig stays put & helps train the next great Steeler OC - Alex Mack. Stapleton stays on as super-sub.

RG - Move Colon Inside. The least-secure position on the line...even if Simmons comes back. It's telling that as inconsistent as the line was, that an undrafted FA was able to keep things under control most of the time. That being said, an upgrade is still order as the position needs to become more stout for our running game to get back to being a strength. The best case scenario for the Steelers is for Simmons to retire, that way his money rolls back into the cap. I like the idea of Colon moving inside & edging out Stapleton.

RT - Hills is Alive! Here's another place where an upgrade is needed. Colon's limitations have become more & more evident & we've seen the best we're going to out of him. But by moving him inside, you limit his exposure & put his power to real use. Despite the hand-wringing, we do have options with a dent prospect in Hills - with the past year spent healing, learning & getting stronger - & Trai Essex being re-signed. Here's where I'd spend a draft pick....Look for Fenuki Tupou in the 3rd round.

The only hick-up to this whole thing is that it hinges on Starks, Essex & Colon all re-signing. If one or more don't, what to do then?...Obviously signing a veteran FA becomes a priority & possibly makes Marvel more attractive. But they know what they've got in Marvel (which ain't much considering the past 2 years) & considering what's out there, I really don't see the team paying the high-price for a guy like Gross & over-paying for guys like Barnes or Carey. More than likely keep your eye on other "youngish" guys like George Foster (DET) & Elton Brown (AZ) who have the size & strength the Steelers usually covet. I guy I would love to have - Jason Brown - simply won't be available as the Ravens won't let him get away.

pfelix73
02-04-2009, 12:31 AM
IF we draft another Faneca type then yes, by all means he could start, but what are the odds of getting another Faneca witht he 32nd pick? That's why I worded that statement the way I did.

Smith played his 1st year, but didn't start right away as that Pourdanesh fellow and Tharpe dude played Tackle too.- Smith's rookie year. You gotta keep in mind that back then this Steeler team wasn't near as good as they are now, so trying to break the starting lineup now is going to be a lot more difficult with any rookies coming in. Simmons pretty much had to play right away because wasn't Tylski the RG? He was hurt and/or let go, from what I remember.

If we land an Alan Faneca type/ clone at 32, I'd be ecstatic. Plug him in there at LG in training camp then. But what are the odds?

Lebsteel
02-04-2009, 12:38 AM
IF we draft another Faneca type then yes, by all means he could start, but what are the odds of getting another Faneca witht he 32nd pick? That's why I worded that statement the way I did.

Smith played his 1st year, but didn't start right away as that Pourdanesh fellow and Tharpe dude played Tackle too.- Smith's rookie year. You gotta keep in mind that back then this Steeler team wasn't near as good as they are now, so trying to break the starting lineup now is going to be a lot more difficult with any rookies coming in. Simmons pretty much had to play right away because wasn't Tylski the RG? He was hurt and/or let go, from what I remember.

If we land an Alan Faneca type/ clone at 32, I'd be ecstatic. Plug him in there at LG in training camp then. But what are the odds?

I think Alex Mack or Duke Robinson could start immediately.

Mister Pittsburgh
02-04-2009, 01:05 AM

I think Alex Mack or Duke Robinson could start immediately.

Am I totally wrong here or did Duke Robinson look like a pile of crap drive killer like we already have on our team? We don't need another big oaf that can't remember a snap count at least once a game.

bostonsteeler
02-04-2009, 01:16 AM
All of this is missing the question:

What do we do with Pervy Z. and his crappy blocking schemes?

Oviedo
02-04-2009, 09:16 AM
Here's my take with the info we have so far...

LT - Resign Starks. He played better than anyone thought he would & with another year & the right conditioning, he might prove to be as good as anyone else we could pick-up, as I think Gross is out of reach. Besides, no rookie is going to step in & start at LT for this team. Re-sign Essex as the back-up.

LG - Draft Alex Mack. I agree with Chadman here - Kemo definitely got worse as the year went on. Despite the physical abilities, his recognition skills just aren't there & that causes a problem with both the running & passing game. The solution here is to draft Alex Mack in the 1st & put him here to put his physical talents & football smarts to use while he acclimates to the pro game & eventually moves over to center.

OC - Hartwig stays put & helps train the next great Steeler OC - Alex Mack. Stapleton stays on as super-sub.

RG - Move Colon Inside. The least-secure position on the line...even if Simmons comes back. It's telling that as inconsistent as the line was, that an undrafted FA was able to keep things under control most of the time. That being said, an upgrade is still order as the position needs to become more stout for our running game to get back to being a strength. The best case scenario for the Steelers is for Simmons to retire, that way his money rolls back into the cap. I like the idea of Colon moving inside & edging out Stapleton.

RT - Hills is Alive! Here's another place where an upgrade is needed. Colon's limitations have become more & more evident & we've seen the best we're going to out of him. But by moving him inside, you limit his exposure & put his power to real use. Despite the hand-wringing, we do have options with a dent prospect in Hills - with the past year spent healing, learning & getting stronger - & Trai Essex being re-signed. Here's where I'd spend a draft pick....Look for Fenuki Tupou in the 3rd round.

The only hick-up to this whole thing is that it hinges on Starks, Essex & Colon all re-signing. If one or more don't, what to do then?...Obviously signing a veteran FA becomes a priority & possibly makes Marvel more attractive. But they know what they've got in Marvel (which ain't much considering the past 2 years) & considering what's out there, I really don't see the team paying the high-price for a guy like Gross & over-paying for guys like Barnes or Carey. More than likely keep your eye on other "youngish" guys like George Foster (DET) & Elton Brown (AZ) who have the size & strength the Steelers usually covet. I guy I would love to have - Jason Brown - simply won't be available as the Ravens won't let him get away.

I'd love to see it play out that way. I think you have to add Duke Robinson and Max Unger to the options at #32 in addition to Alex Mack. Anyone of those 3 would help the OL.

Farfan
02-04-2009, 12:01 PM
What do you think :

Sign: + Jason Brown (Baltimore), he can play guard.
+ The RT from Miami or someone who can upgrade the RT position.

Resign: Essex and Colon (if cheaper).

Draft: -1Round: Mack, Unger or Duke Robinson
-2Round: Best DT, DE or CB aviable.

And then you have the new and improved 09-OL:

-LT: Essex or Tony HIlls.
-LG: Jason Brown
-C: Hartwing
-RG: Mack, Unger or Duke Robinson.
-RT: The RT from Miami or the FA we sign (at last you have Colon for insurance).

Oviedo
02-04-2009, 12:20 PM
What do you think :

-RT: The RT from Miami or the FA we sign (at last you have Colon for insurance).

Colon is a Restricted FA and he will get a qualifying offer. He will be a starter on the OL next year for sure--hopefully at Guard. He has two years experience and I don't see them tendering him and then spending for a FA to play in his place.

Unger may actaully be more suited to RT that RG. He is not a mauler. If they really want a rookie to play Guard then I think you are looking at Mack, Robinson or Loadholdt (moving inside) as Round 1 potential or someone like Kraig Urbik in Round 2.

frankthetank1
02-04-2009, 12:29 PM
What do you think :

Colon is a Restricted FA and he will get a qualifying offer. He will be a starter on the OL next year for sure--hopefully at Guard. He has two years experience and I don't see them tendering him and then spending for a FA to play in his place.

Unger may actaully be more suited to RT that RG. He is not a mauler. If they really want a rookie to play Guard then I think you are looking at Mack, Robinson or Loadholdt (moving inside) as Round 1 potential or someone like Kraig Urbik in Round 2.

i would be ok with them signing colon for cheap (obviously) if they moved him to guard. no way should he be starting at RT next season. they could move stapleton to the LG and colon at RG. that would be ok. i know im in the minority but i like stapleton. he was an upgrade when simmons got hurt and it was his first season where he got some playing time.

pfelix73
02-04-2009, 12:33 PM
Here's one for you all.

Beatty is York, PA. The same town as Bruce Arians. It might mean something or it might not.