PDA

View Full Version : Draft Talk Vol 1.

calmkiller
02-03-2009, 10:04 AM
Alright guys. Draft season is my favorite time of the year to spend here with you guys. As some of you might have noticed, I am not here that much during the season. But the season is officially over and its time to start with the fun stuff. Breaking down the team for position needs, loses and gains. I know Chadman made a post a few weeks ago about the draft. I skimmed over it a bit but was to excited about the play off to pay total attention to it.

My first question is who will we lose this offseason. I know of a few FA and RFA but I don't have an official list. If anyone could supply that it would greatly help. The ones that I do know will be listed below.

FA
Marvel Smith
Chris Kemomeatu
Max Starks
Bryant Mcfadden
Trai Essex?
Charlie Batch

RFA
Anthony Smith
Willie Colon

Clearly I don't have them all listed here but this list has the majority of our concerns. OL, DL, and CB should be our focus in this draft. As I have been saying for the last two year. Will there be quality on the OL with the 32nd pick? Should we go Tackle in the draft or FA?

We will be receiving some extra picks this year so I say we trade up in the first and see what kinda value we can get. We should get an extra 3rd for the lose of Faneca and a 6th I believe for the Mahan trade. That is two extra picks we have this year. We can't trade the 3rd for Faneca but that allows us to move the 96th pick around and have to select with the 97th or 98th pick. Really no loss there.

Thoughts? Anything to add?

Oviedo
02-03-2009, 10:07 AM
Willie Colon is also a RFA.

Add CB to a need position. You need 4 very good ones in the NFL today and Bmac likely will be chasing the money out of town--IMO less that 25% chance of returning.

Also look at the list below. There could be anywhere from 7-9 folks either on the practcie squad or IR pushing people off the 53 man rister that was in place for the Super Bowl.

Injured Reserve:
Batch-probably past his time. Should go into coaching.
Clement, DT-probably just a body
Dekker, TE-good bye
Arnold Harrison-in the mix for OLB
Humpal-may make Foote expendable as a cap casualty
Mendenhall-no brainer, major impact
Sepulveda-no brainer, major impact
Simmons-not likely to go anywhere, starter or back up
Marvel Smith-likely gone unless he signs for vet minimum
Greg Warren-likely gone

Practice Squad:
Marv Allen, WR-gone
Dallas Baker-maybe stays in Nate leaves, likely gone
Legusky-just a body
Roy Lewis, CB-could be a factor when Bmac leaves and Anthony Smith is cut
Mundy-will make the 53 as primary back up to Ryan Clark
Nance-just a job because of buddy Big Ben
Sherrod, TE-likely just a body
Justin Vincent-just a body
Donovan Woods-may be a factor and push someone off theroster

calmkiller
02-03-2009, 10:13 AM
My bad, The C at need position was supposed to be CB. I have that listed as a need at this point in my brain. Fixing now.

Mister Pittsburgh
02-03-2009, 10:17 AM
I agree with the concerns you guys mention. I would also like to add 'kick & punt returner' to the list of targets. Would be nice to actually have a shot at taking one to the house on a kickoff return instead of having your FB & slowest RB taking kickoffs.

Oviedo
02-03-2009, 10:21 AM
Off your list I would do the following:

FA
Marvel Smith--only resign for vet minimum
Chris Kemomeatu--goodbye
Max Starks--resign for 5 years $30M
Bryant Mcfadden--resign only if he takes Ike Taylor equivalent
Trai Essex?--resign because he has positional flexibility and need experienced back ups
Charlie Batch--time to go into coaching
Byron Leftwich--would love to sign him but he will be looking for starter money. Hopefully no one offers because he is key IMO. Dixon probably won't be ready.

RFA
Anthony Smith--I'll buy his bus ticket out of town. You don't disrespect LaBeau
Willie Colon--tender him qualifying offer but move him inside to Guard. The move inside to Guard will also lower his price after next season because Guards are cheaper than Tackles.

Oviedo
02-03-2009, 10:23 AM
I agree with the concerns you guys mention. I would also like to add 'kick & punt returner' to the list of targets. Would be nice to actually have a shot at taking one to the house on a kickoff return instead of having your FB & slowest RB taking kickoffs.

Joe Burnett, CB/KR, Central Florida in Round 3

Dec. 10, 2008

ORLANDO, Fla. - UCF senior Joe Burnett (Eustis, Fla.) continued his unprecedented haul of annual Conference USA awards on Wednesday when he was named the league's Special Teams Player of the Year.

Yesterday, Burnett was named first-team All-C-USA as a defensive back, punt returner and kick returner, marking the first time that a player has been named to the first team at three different positions. This feat had never been accomplished anywhere in the nation prior to last week when Antonio Brown of Central Michigan was named first-team All-Mid American Conference as a wide receiver, punt returner and kickoff returner.

Burnett completes a career sweep of the first-team All-C-USA punt returner titles, winning the award for each of the past four years (2005-08). He also earned first-team recognition as a defensive back in 2005 and 2007, giving him a total of eight career first-team all-conference awards.

Burnett completed his extraordinary UCF career as the school's record holder in numerous major categories including career interceptions (16) and punt return yards (1,304). Burnett is the Conference USA career record holder for most punt return yards and ranks 19th in NCAA history in that category. He stands second in C-USA annals with his 16 career interceptions. He scored a total of five career special teams touchdowns including a UCF-record three on punt returns.

In 2008, Burnett was the only player in the nation to rank in the top 20 of both kickoff and punt returns. He led C-USA in both disciplines. He will likely become just the third player since 2000 to finish the season ranked in the top 100 nationally in all-purpose yardage despite not gaining any of those yards either rushing or receiving. This fall, Burnett, in his first season as a kickoff returner, ran two back for touchdowns, coming against in-state foes USF and Miami, both of which were ranked at various points this year

Lebsteel
02-03-2009, 10:28 AM
Nate Washington is another FA that could have high importance, unless the coaches feel Sweed is going to start catching passes. Chemsteel posted yesterday that the rumor is Nate told his agent he wants to be a Steeler and to get the best deal he could from the front office. I like that attitude if it is true. Here is my quick wish list:

Sign Washington, extend Miller and Harrison now, offer Colon

Sign quality FA OL like Gross or Jahri Evans

Draft
1) Alex Mack C, Duke Robinson, LG or Tyson Jackson, DE
2) OL or DE depending on Rd. 1
3) OL and DB

calmkiller
02-03-2009, 11:31 AM
Nate Washington is another FA that could have high importance, unless the coaches feel Sweed is going to start catching passes. Chemsteel posted yesterday that the rumor is Nate told his agent he wants to be a Steeler and to get the best deal he could from the front office. I like that attitude if it is true. Here is my quick wish list:

Sign Washington, extend Miller and Harrison now, offer Colon

Sign quality FA OL like Gross or Jahri Evans

Draft
1) Alex Mack C, Duke Robinson, LG or Tyson Jackson, DE
2) OL or DE depending on Rd. 1
3) OL and DB

I thought I had Nate listed. Another failure by myself. I say we sign nate to a cap friendly deal and let him stay a steeler. Right now he is the best 3rd WR we have and despite his drops sometimes he has turn into a legit deep threat for us. If Ben could only throw the ball far enough. Early word on Duke Robinson I have heard is he takes plays off and uses is natural ability to get by. Just what I have heard. I don't know. I agree with your Extension offers.

Lebsteel
02-03-2009, 11:40 AM
Forget Jahri Evans, I thought he was a UFA. He is a RFA which means the Saints would tender him a big offer and probably get our No. 1 draft pick.

grotonsteel
02-03-2009, 01:00 PM
I would resign Max Starks as LT and Trai Essex.

Move Willie Colon to LG. Release Kemo.

Draft OT- Eben Britton as RT

Rd1: Eben Britton
Rd 2: Alphonso Smith
Rd 3a: Fili Maola
Rd 3b: Eric Wood

My line would be:
Starks-Colon-Hartwig-Simmons-Eben
Backup: Essex/Tony Hills/Eric Wood/Darnell

calmkiller
02-03-2009, 02:06 PM
I have been looking at Tackles available this year and Eben Britton seems like he would be in our range at 32. I am NOT sold on Starks. I don't think he can block worth a crap. I would take Smith over him. Just concerned about Smiths back.

SteelerOfDeVille
02-03-2009, 04:00 PM
Eben Britton and Tyson Jackson are my two top choices at #32. I wouldn't be opposed to Alex Mack (C) if he fell that far.

I've seen Eric Wood show up a few times... He's "solid", smart and experienced... not that strong, though. Practicing against Casey would make the team wonder why they drafted him.

Oviedo
02-03-2009, 04:08 PM
Eben Britton and Tyson Jackson are my two top choices at #32. I wouldn't be opposed to Alex Mack (C) if he fell that far.

I've seen Eric Wood show up a few times... He's "solid", smart and experienced... not that strong, though. Practicing against Casey would make the team wonder why they drafted him.

Add Max Unger into the mix at #32. He could play Tackle or Center. he has the positional flexibility that we now seem to value.

If we got Jackson, Mack or Unger at #32 I would not be upset with any of those picks. I'm not sold on Britton. Seems to be one of those out of nowhere guys who just stepped it up for one year.

AngryAsian
02-03-2009, 04:32 PM
Nate needs to be resigned.
Definitely extend Heath and Harrison now.
Starks is Ben's biggest buddy on the line, if not the team... and quite frankly he played well this year. Resign him but let's not go crazy. Anybody else on this line that are eligible to walk... let them.

I'll post who I'd like drafted in a bit....

Oviedo
02-03-2009, 05:03 PM
Starks is Ben's biggest buddy on the line, if not the team... and quite frankly he played well this year. Resign him but let's not go crazy. Anybody else on this line that are eligible to walk... let them.

I would not resign Nate but they probably will.

Add Woodley to your extend NOW list along with Heath and James H.

I also believe that Starks has earned a contract. He is our best option right now at LT. There is almost no chance we outbid other teams for the top flight LTs in free agency.

Lebsteel
02-03-2009, 05:24 PM

I would not resign Nate but they probably will.

Add Woodley to your extend NOW list along with Heath and James H.

I also believe that Starks has earned a contract. He is our best option right now at LT. There is almost no chance we outbid other teams for the top flight LTs in free agency.

Great point on Woodley, that would be cool if they could do that. Here's the details:
http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_contract.aspx?sport=Nfl&id=4224
If we could lock him up now for 2 to 3 mill per year for five years that would be outstanding. He is only scheduled to make $460,000 in 2009, so that might be a great incentive for him to sign earlier than 2011.

I don't necessarily agree on Starks. If Starks wants $7 mill per year, I'd spend another 2 mill and pay Jordan Gross who is MUCH better than Starks. But, you are right, Starks may be our best option. If we had to give up signing Nate so we could sign Gross, I'd be all for that.

Bandito
02-03-2009, 10:58 PM
Personally I think we will lose Starks, Kemo, and McFadden. If we resign Nates, Smith, Essex, and Colon, I would like to see the following happen:

1 - C Alex Mack (Address interior OL)
Torn with the 2nd pick as we really need a DL but with McFadden gone, really need to address secondary.
2 - DB Victor Harris or Mike Mickens (Address secondary)
3a and 3b - 2 DL (Several but Boom-or-Bust at this point)
4 - ILB Jason Phillips or OT Xavier Fulton or OT Jason Watkins
5 - CB/KR Joe Burnett (Would like Brandon Tate but think he will get selected in mid-2nd)
6- OT Andrew Gardner if not OT in 4th, otherwise DL Sammie Lee Hill
7a - OT Lydon Murtha
7b - WR Jeremy Childs or Jason Chery

If Starks and McFadden resigns:
1 - C Alex Mack (Address interior OL)
2 - DL Sen-Derrick Marks or Evander Hood
3a - OT Xavier Fulton or OT Jason Watkins
3b - DL Ricky Jean-Francois
4 - ILB Jason Phillips
5 - CB/KR Joe Burnett
6- DL Sammie Lee Hill
7a - OT Lydon Murtha
7b - WR Jeremy Childs or Jason Chery

grotonsteel
02-03-2009, 11:33 PM

Add Max Unger into the mix at #32. He could play Tackle or Center. he has the positional flexibility that we now seem to value.

If we got Jackson, Mack or Unger at #32 I would not be upset with any of those picks. I'm not sold on Britton. Seems to be one of those out of nowhere guys who just stepped it up for one year.

I have not seen Max Unger Play but what i heard he was not that impressive in Senior Bowl. Do you think he is a good Run Blocker and above Average pass Blocker?

I would like Max Starks signed. He has earned his contract. Max Smith to vet minimum.

Is it possible M Oher might drop to 28?

SidSmythe
02-03-2009, 11:47 PM
PLEASE, do NOT resign NATE.

This is coming from a HUGE Nate supporter up until this season . . . he's just not a natural WR. Yes he can get deep and has great athletic ability.

BUT His hands are NOT natural and if he has anyone on him, he just doesn't have to toughness to fight for the ball.

AngryAsian
02-04-2009, 12:45 AM

This is coming from a HUGE Nate supporter up until this season . . . he's just not a natural WR. Yes he can get deep and has great athletic ability.

BUT His hands are NOT natural and if he has anyone on him, he just doesn't have to toughness to fight for the ball.

If we don't resign Nate, that means we need to have Sweed step up in hurry. BA is a spread offense dude, so that means we need to have four WR at any given time ready to make plays. The tread on Hines tires are getting pretty worn. Its his physical style that has gotten him all the praise he deserves, unfortunately also has him more prone to injury with his aging body. I hope he has a talk with Troy and actually attends Marinovich's training camp this offseason. That conditioning regime of Troy's really put him back on top and it showed down the stretch of this season.

Bandito
02-04-2009, 01:29 AM
Need to think about upcoming FA and how it impacts our draft this year and next:

OL:
2009: Stark, Essex, Kemo, M. Smith, Colon(RFA)
2010: Hartwig, Stapleton(RFA), Capizzi(RFA)
2011: T. Hills(RFA)

LB:
2009: Fox, Frazier
2010: Harrison, Foote
2011: Woodley, Davis(RFA), Humpal(RFA)

DL:
2009: None
2010: Eason, Hampton, Keisel, Kirschke
2011: Hoke

Secondary:
2009: Bryant, McFadden, A. Smith(RFA)
2010: Townsend, Carter, R. Clark, Gay(RFA)
2011: Taylor

WR/TE:
2009: Washington, McHugh
2010: H. Miller, Ward, Spaeth(RFA)
2011: Holmes

RB:
2009: Davis
2010: Parker
2011: Moore

Other:
2009: Batch, Berger, Leftwich
2010: Reed, Sepulveda(RFA)
2011: Dixon(RFA)

Chadman
02-04-2009, 02:53 AM
Ok, just having a bit of a play-around here, Chadman will throw you all a quick Mock...

ROUND 1- Phil Loadholt RT- Had a good Senior Bowl, awesome size, good length arms, not fat, strong & a good run blocker. A 'slight' reach at #32, but he will be gone not long after. Best RT on the board. Moves Willie Colon inside to OG.

ROUND 2- Jairus Byrd CB- Excellent playmaker that is a 'little' slow of foot. But he makes up for that with instincts. Excellent size, good tackler.

ROUND 3a)- Vance Walker DT (3-4 DE)- Aggressive, non-stop worker. A bit of a 'penetrator' on the DL, so along the lines of Brett Keisel.

ROUND 3b)- Dorell Scott DT (3-4 NT)- Casey Hampton is old, Chris Hoke is older. Scott is a big man that is hard to move. The DL just got bigger & younger.

ROUND 4)- Brandon Tate WR- With Nate quite possibly on his way, the Steelers will need an extra body at WR. Tate is productive & has good hands.

ROUND 5)- Anthony Parker OG- Strong, smart player. Very good run blocker. Depth on the OL can't hurt.

ROUND 6)- Tony Fiammetta FB- Good hands & good blocker. Not much of a runner, but will be Ben's 'outlet' reciever along with Mendy & Moore, while his blocking is better than Davis.

ROUND 7a)- Deon Butler WR- One thing the Steelers don't 'really' have is a slot reciever. Butler can fill that role. Too small for much else, but perfect for that role.

ROUND 7b) TJ Lang OT/OG- Tough, fiery & intense. Coaches like him. Supposed to be easy to coach. Might never be more than a back-up, but this late in the draft, you want 'attitude' players.

Bandito
02-04-2009, 09:30 AM
Chadman,
I think Brandon Tate will be picked as early in the mid 2nd round. As I told Oviedo, I really would like to pick him. He is a sure-handed and fluid receiver and also a good returner. The knock on him is he has an ACL and may not be ready till March/April. When he got injured in early October, he finished his career with an NCAA-record 3,523 career combined kick-return yards.

If we don't get him, I'll like to get Joe Burnett. There are some sleeper WR in the late rounds with alot of potential. Holmes contract runs out in 2011, Ward is next year, and we may not resign Nate this year.

Definitely need to address DL this year with 4 linemen due for FA next year (Eason, Hampton, Keisel, and Kirschke).

Need Alex Mack with the 32nd pick as Hartwig and Stapleton are both FA next year. Stapleton will be an RFA.

Reason for Alex Mack in the 1st and DL taking majority of the 2-3 rounds. Need to resign McFadden at a reasonable cost.

calmkiller
02-04-2009, 09:40 AM
Nice draft Chadman, but with the two extra picks we have this year I see us doing some moving. We don't need 9 players this year. I say we move up in the first and grab a OL we want or move down from the first and pick up extra picks and in the second. Trade the lower picks for quality picks in the 2nd and 3rd.

Oviedo
02-04-2009, 09:56 AM

I absolutely agree. I think that Sweed will develop and we could get a WR in Round 4 who would contribute.

Right now Nate gets paid $1.4M per. Do we really think he is worth $2.5M or more?

calmkiller
02-04-2009, 09:59 AM

I absolutely agree. I think that Sweed will develop and we could get a WR in Round 4 who would contribute.

Right now Nate gets paid $1.4M per. Do we really think he is worth $2.5M or more?

I think he makes what he should currently. Right now he is all we have behind Holmes and Hines. Sweed hasn't shown anything to me and I feel much more comfortable with Nate in there. I say 3 year 5 million contract or let him walk.

AngryAsian
02-04-2009, 10:08 AM

I think he makes what he should currently. Right now he is all we have behind Holmes and Hines. Sweed hasn't shown anything to me and I feel much more comfortable with Nate in there. I say 3 year 5 million contract or let him walk.

We need to find the next Eddie Royal or Marques Colston. Is there such talent in the draft? WR that slip through the cracks because they're not exceptionally fast, quick, or big... obviously be blessed with great hands and even more importantly, great route runners, quick studies, and have the ability to get separation.

Lebsteel
02-04-2009, 10:21 AM

We need to find the next Eddie Royal or Marques Colston. Is there such talent in the draft? WR that slip through the cracks because they're not exceptionally fast, quick, or big... obviously be blessed with great hands and even more importantly, great route runners, quick studies, and have the ability to get separation.

That man would be Jordan Norwood, Penn State. He won the WR skills comp on ESPN this past weekend. I never realized he had such amazing hands. He is not big and not all that fast, but he is smart and caught every ball spit out by the JUGS machine. The announcer said they didn't think that had ever been done before. Hakeem Nicks, Joaquin Iglesias and others could not handle the high speed balls from the JUGS, but Norwood caught them with seemingly little effort.

Bandito
02-04-2009, 10:49 AM
Jordan Norwood is good along with his teammate Deon Butler. Other WR sleepers being noted are Dudley Guice, Dominique Edison, Dobson Collins, Jeremy Childs, and Jason Chery. Austin Collie may still be there during our 4th pick. Nothing flashy but a good physical route runner.

Oviedo
02-04-2009, 11:11 AM
Jordan Norwood is good along with his teammate Deon Butler. Other WR sleepers being noted are Dudley Guice, Dominique Edison, Dobson Collins, Jeremy Childs, and Jason Chery. Austin Collie may still be there during our 4th pick. Nothing flashy but a good physical route runner.

Norwood or Butler in Round 4/5 would be good additions. Both could be effective slot receivers who catch everything and can get open.

RuthlessBurgher
02-04-2009, 01:46 PM

Okay, after the "He needed chewed out" thread, you must choose, O Asian Hamlet...To be or not to be? That is the question. You can't have it both ways, going from "Nate needs to be resigned" in your first sentence, then "I'll post who I'd like drafted in a bit" in your last sentence. It has to be either "Nate needs to be resigned" and "I'll post who I'd like to be drafted in a bit" or "Nate needs resigned" and "I'll post who I'd like drafted in a bit." Pick one. :wink:

calmkiller
02-06-2009, 03:11 PM
OK so my thoughts are with the draft we will (hopefully) focus on OL and DL. I haven't done much research but I have found a couple names in this early process. William Betty for UConn, Jarron Gilbert DE San Jose State. Anyone know anything more about these guys?

steelblood
02-06-2009, 03:22 PM

Dude,

Am I mis-remembering or did you once tell me once that you don't draft a center in round one no matter what. I think it was in response to a mock I did on another board where I took Unger in the first. Am I getting you confused with someone else or have you changed your mind?

Oviedo
02-06-2009, 04:37 PM

Dude,

Am I mis-remembering or did you once tell me once that you don't draft a center in round one no matter what. I think it was in response to a mock I did on another board where I took Unger in the first. Am I getting you confused with someone else or have you changed your mind?

If we picked Mack or Unger they would not be playing Center. They would likely be playing Guard for a least a year or two. At #32 we might as well consider that a Round 2 pick anyway. Depending on how the combine goes I think that Phil Loadholdt would be better if we were getting someone to play Guard. The guy is a beast but it appears he is a long way from being able to play LT in the NFL. Move him inside and he would be a monster.

In my mix for #32 I could see the team looking at Mack, Loadholdt, Robinson, Unger or Jackson. Clearly I pick Jackson if all 5 are available.