PDA

View Full Version : Not a complaint, just an observation

Chachi
02-03-2009, 09:41 AM
With all the talk of Ben now being an "elite" QB right up there with Manning and Brady......some say yes, some say no, yadda yadda yadda.

I don't really care. Just give me the rings and shut up.

But I've been thinking......we know the "conventional wisdom" now that Ben made a Montana/Elway-esque drive on the biggest stage to win it all....it's still undecided with the majority that I have heard saying, "No, he isn't with Manning or Brady just yet."

Again, fine, I really don't care.

But....I have been thinking, what if Ben screwed it up? Threw one too many incompletions or, for gods sake, and INT on that last drive?

For some reason I hear in my head every single talking head saying, "If only Ben had made that winning drive, THEN he would be in the ranks of Manning and Brady."

Anyone else have that feeling?

Acero
02-03-2009, 09:56 AM
Shut up and give me the rings.

:D

:tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2
IX X XII XIV XL XLIII

Discipline of Steel
02-03-2009, 10:09 AM
Youre probably right. At least Ben was 'kind' enough to spare us the indignation of having to listen to those fools all season long next year. Instead he continues to build his Hall of Fame legacy...unlike the 'One and Done' Mannings. One Super Bowl and done.

Mister Pittsburgh
02-03-2009, 10:14 AM
I don't think they will ever put Ben on that level, or for goodness sake, no way would they put him above those two. I think the media loves Brady & Manning because they are both just such golly shucks types of guys. Manning comes from the famous Manning pedigree and Brady is just this master technician. Ben is just a big goofy white guy that is tough to bring down and is a 'system qb'.

After Sunday night, I personally think he is one of the best QB of all time. Before that last drive, when we got the kickoff and were ready to start the drive, I turned to my friend I was watching the game with and said 'this is where Ben cements his legend!'

Oviedo
02-03-2009, 10:15 AM
IMO--Ben has two more Super Bowls in his future. Not saying we win but you have to like how everything is lining up under Tomlin with Big Ben pulling the trigger.

I don't think Tomlin will let this team become comfortable next year. I expect to see 8-9 "new" faces to keep the dynamics fresh and breed competition. That will create opportunities for even more success.

Djfan
02-03-2009, 10:31 AM
IMO--Ben has two more Super Bowls in his future. Not saying we win but you have to like how everything is lining up under Tomlin with Big Ben pulling the trigger.

I don't think Tomlin will let this team become comfortable next year. I expect to see 8-9 "new" faces to keep the dynamics fresh and breed competition. That will create opportunities for even more success.

I swear you and I listen to the same voices in our heads. I was thinking exactly this stuff just yesterday.

MeetJoeGreene
02-03-2009, 10:34 AM

First I don't have voices in my head. But I do.

Second.... I think it is WORSE than you feel.

I think if Ben throws an INT that last drive, they would NOT say IF ONLY... they would be harsher and say SEE he is ONLY A GAME MANAGER.

He does not have much grace from the mediots.

RussBII
02-03-2009, 10:49 AM
Ben will never be Peyton or Tom Brady because he never puts up those numbers. He's not asked to put up those numbers and we don't want him to put up those numbers. End of Story.

He's only really comparable to Brady, because all he does is win. Peyton is Dan Marino II (This Time W/ One Ring). To say that Ben isn't an elite QB is just ridiculous.

Five years in the league, more wins than anyone else in history, and 2 Super Bowls. C'mon now...

Now, this year stands as his greatest, and not just because of the SB drive. He did that stuff all freaking year. What is it? Nearly a 1/3rd of our wins came on 4th Q comebacks? That's saying something...

Had he thrown a pick on that last drive, he would've been lambasted as same old inconsistent, holds on to the ball too long Ben... we know better.

Lebsteel
02-03-2009, 10:53 AM

Two more? That's it? Man, I guess maybe I am too pumped up, but I am thinking something like 6 or 7 more. He is only 26 and I'm hoping with an improved line, he can go another 10 plus years.

Discipline of Steel
02-03-2009, 11:03 AM

I swear you and I listen to the same voices in our heads. I was thinking exactly this stuff just yesterday.

I have the same voice too. Its Tomlins voice. RE: his speech on 'Repeating'

The man is also in the midst of building his 'Legend'.

steelsnis
02-03-2009, 12:07 PM
It's funny, after that game, Steve Young was gushing about Ben so much I thought he was gonna kiss the guy. I also heard Marshall Faulk and Dilfer, and Keyshawn and others say that this vaulted Ben into the upper echelon of QB's w/Brady and Peyton.

In fact, on ESPN yesterday, the doosh Skip Bayless said the only qb he'd rank higher than Ben is Brady.

The only ones I heard knocking Ben were Jim Mora and Tom Waddle (haha losers, both). They were saying that Ben isn't up w/Manning and Brady because of his stats this season (17 tds, 15 picks)!!! Classic "stats are for losers" mentality right there. The host of the show (not sure his name, tall black guy w/glasses) shot back at Mora with "I thought you don't play Fantasy Football, isn't it about winning???"

But for what it's worth, who the F cares what these fools think, pro or con. There's not another QB in the league that I want leading my team. Not one.

-steve

stlrz d
02-03-2009, 12:11 PM

Yes.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
02-03-2009, 01:52 PM
It's funny, after that game, Steve Young was gushing about Ben so much I thought he was gonna kiss the guy. I also heard Marshall Faulk and Dilfer, and Keyshawn and others say that this vaulted Ben into the upper echelon of QB's w/Brady and Peyton.

In fact, on ESPN yesterday, the doosh Skip Bayless said the only qb he'd rank higher than Ben is Brady.

The only ones I heard knocking Ben were Jim Mora and Tom Waddle (haha losers, both). They were saying that Ben isn't up w/Manning and Brady because of his stats this season (17 tds, 15 picks)!!! Classic "stats are for losers" mentality right there. The host of the show (not sure his name, tall black guy w/glasses) shot back at Mora with "I thought you don't play Fantasy Football, isn't it about winning???"

But for what it's worth, who the F cares what these fools think, pro or con. There's not another QB in the league that I want leading my team. Not one.

-steve

Bottom line. :Agree :Clap :Clap

snarky
02-03-2009, 02:04 PM
The other thing that is overlooked is this: Ben has more wins ever for a QB in his first five years (this part everybody knows), but almost 40% of those wins involved 4th quarter come from behind drives. I understand that from a coach's perspective (like Mora) Brady and Manning would be considered better QBs - but that's because they fit a mold.

But in terms of winning, I don't think you can rank either one of them above Ben. No way. You might say that Brady is on the same level. But Manning is a tier below in that department. Look at the 2005 playoff game. Rather than just picking up an easy ten yards on third down, he throws a bomb to the end zone, it goes incomplete Drunk Idiot Kicker has to try it from 47 yards, he misses and manning loses.

Jooser
02-03-2009, 02:31 PM
For those stat happy homers, Ben had a great season last year stat wise finishing closely behind Brady. But, ya know, I'll take the Championship over the stats any day. All Ben does is win. And I like it.

YES SIR!!!!!!!!!!! :Clap

Steelgal
02-03-2009, 03:17 PM
With the creation of fantasy football, I think it's ruined the real game of football. Now it's all about putting up great numbers, instead of wins and losses on the field.

I've never played and don't really have any desire to, so maybe I'm inaccurate in my observations. But Ben will never put up the numbers Brady and Manning do, so therefore will never get the accolades they do.

stlrz d
02-03-2009, 04:13 PM
The other thing that is overlooked is this: Ben has more wins ever for a QB in his first five years (this part everybody knows), but almost 40% of those wins involved 4th quarter come from behind drives. I understand that from a coach's perspective (like Mora) Brady and Manning would be considered better QBs - but that's because they fit a mold.

But in terms of winning, I don't think you can rank either one of them above Ben. No way. You might say that Brady is on the same level. But Manning is a tier below in that department. Look at the 2005 playoff game. Rather than just picking up an easy ten yards on third down, he throws a bomb to the end zone, it goes incomplete Drunk Idiot Kicker has to try it from 47 yards, he misses and manning loses.

Pats fans get mad about that. They think Brady should get the only mention of that because he has the most wins in first 5 seasons as a starter. They say, "It's not his fault he didn't start as a rookie." :roll:

skyhawk
02-03-2009, 04:55 PM
Get Ben upper eschelon receivers for the whole season and he WILL be capable of putting up numbers like Manning and Brady. Not too mention give him more time in the pocket. Ben STILL wins in spite of this. When Manning's line and receiver's suck, HE sucks and HE loses.

The line came thru on that last drive and so did Holmes. See what can be if Ben weren't the only player to show up sometimes?

MR.V.
02-03-2009, 07:04 PM
After Fitzgerald scored my nine yr old was moaning and groaning.I looked and saw how much time was left,and told him to sit back relax and watch the man work.I had total confidence in Big Ben I was not worried at all.You can have those other qbs,but I'll take Big Ben. :Cheers

skyhawk
02-03-2009, 08:49 PM
After Fitzgerald scored my nine yr old was moaning and groaning.I looked and saw how much time was left,and told him to sit back relax and watch the man work.I had total confidence in Big Ben I was not worried at all.You can have those other qbs,but I'll take Big Ben. :Cheers

:tt1