PDA

View Full Version : This team's weaknesses

Blitz-en
02-03-2009, 12:34 AM
While I was watching the Super Bowl, I couldn't help but think about all the weaknesses I felt this team had over the season.

-First drive, settle for 3. All year long, struggled with short yardage red zone, and short yardage in general. Left many points off the board in big games this year.
-Arizona's first TD. All year, we seemed to struggle in short yardage red zone defense. Several times, even in the playoffs, the defense failed to stop short yardage TDs. Think McGahee two weeks ago walking in on short yardage plays.
-Pick any Steelers kick return all season long. Never had a prayer to get out past the 40.
-1st quarter offense and 2nd quarter offense in Super Bowl. Our O-coordinator.
-Parker's inability to receive handoff without being mugged. O-line leaks and lack of consistant running game. By the way, Spaeth was particularly horrible run blocking in the Super Bowl.

Anyway, you could probably add in there, lack of solid depth at WR all season (past #1 & #2). I feel all these points are valid weaknesses of this team. It puts into perpective how much team chemistry, selflessness and mentality are important to success. Also gives me more respect for what Ben was able to do this year.

I suspect Coach Tomlin has a similiar list he will be working on over the off-season.

:Cheers Here's to a great draft and another run next year!!!!!

Chadman
02-03-2009, 12:38 AM
Umm...

Arians called a pretty good game in the 1st & 2nd quater- but you have that in your weaknesses?

papillon
02-03-2009, 02:08 AM
Umm...

Arians called a pretty good game in the 1st & 2nd quater- but you have that in your weaknesses?

Yea, he did call a good game in the 1st and 2nd quarters, unfortunately, a football game has 4 quarters plus any overtime when necessary. :moon :tt2

Pappy

Chadman
02-03-2009, 02:12 AM
Umm...

Yea, he did call a good game in the 1st and 2nd quarters, unfortunately, a football game has 4 quarters plus any overtime when necessary. :moon :tt2

Pappy

Ah yes, but Pap...

While I was watching the Super Bowl, I couldn't help but think about all the weaknesses I felt this team had over the season.

-1st quarter offense and 2nd quarter offense in Super Bowl. Our O-coordinator

But no mention of the 3rd or 4th quarter. Why bag the first 2 quarters??

AkronSteel
02-03-2009, 02:22 AM
The Steelers as it stands now need at least one tackle and one guard along the offensive line! They need depth along the defensive line in a bad way! There will be a need for a corner and probably another receiver! Hopefully the KR role can be filled by one of those two players! Overall the team is in good shape going forward but the weaknesses on the OL need to be addressed immediately! This team for the first time should actually go out and spend the money on a top flight OL free agent!! Jordan Gross would be nice but we all know that is not going to happen! What FA guards are available that maybe would deserve a look for our team? Who would fit the best? Anyone have a list of free agent OL available? Guess it's time to start looking ahead already well at least after the parade tomorrow!

SteelerOfDeVille
02-03-2009, 02:22 AM
[quote=Chadman]Umm...

Pappy

Ah yes, but Pap...

But no mention of the 3rd or 4th quarter. Why bag the first 2 quarters??[/quote:9fnuimvs]
precisely.

Blitz-en
02-03-2009, 10:25 AM
Umm...

Okay, I guess my assessment (albeit a drunken one) was that the 1st quarter looked good, scoring 10 points on two drives. In the second quarter, our offense seemed to sputter. My thoughts were that we stopped doing what was working. So, my wording probably should have been "1st quarter vs. 2nd quarter".

But, I'll entertain any opinions otherwise. I did not, yet, watch the game a second time, just going from my 1st impression.

I think we had a championship season despite some glaring weaknesses. Something you don't see often in the NFL.

Chadman
02-03-2009, 07:03 PM
Umm...

Okay, I guess my assessment (albeit a drunken one) was that the 1st quarter looked good, scoring 10 points on two drives. In the second quarter, our offense seemed to sputter. My thoughts were that we stopped doing what was working. So, my wording probably should have been "1st quarter vs. 2nd quarter".

But, I'll entertain any opinions otherwise. I did not, yet, watch the game a second time, just going from my 1st impression.

I think we had a championship season despite some glaring weaknesses. Something you don't see often in the NFL.

Hehe...drunken posting can be fun...

Nah mate- every team has weaknesses- there are not 'complete' teams.

The Steelers biggest weakness? They can't sustain a running game. If the OL can block (particularly the interior) well in the running game, Ben gets sacked less, Arians can call a more balanced offence & those constant 3rd and short stuffs against us are reduced & the Steelers might just score more in the Red Zone as a result.

2nd biggest 'weakness' would be the lack of a playmaker outside of Troy in the DB's.

feltdizz
02-03-2009, 07:26 PM
weaknesses....
none.. every weakness we have has a young guy filling in.... or can be replaced.

Punter... Sep will be back
Spaeth's blocking... terrible, don't use him on GL.
FWP's vision and hands.. Mendenhall
McFadden a FA.. Gay is better IMO

I see little wrong with this team.. sure the OL could be better but I also think Ben is prone to take 30+ sacks a year...

I think our playoff sacks allowed avg will be mimmicked next season. As much as we say we want our OL revamped these guys are young and they went from Philly flops to SB champs.

Let them gel...

Mel Blount's G
02-03-2009, 08:51 PM
Lest we forget if Ben could be consistently accurate with the long ball, we have 7 in the first half on that bomb to nate. In almost every way, he is superior to brady and manning. But when it comes to pure throwing accuracy, he's got room for improvement.

Mel Blount's G
02-03-2009, 08:58 PM
2nd biggest 'weakness' would be the lack of a playmaker outside of Troy in the DB's.
For every "play" that these "playmakers" make, they gamble wrong and give up a big one. That is just not our D philosophy. We give up everything underneath. While we don't have playmakers taking a lot of ints to the house, we also don't have a lot of db's watching wr's go by them for 6. That said, if Ike could catch, we have at least a half dozen more picks this year. Give me a TEAM defense like this one anyday over a D with egomaniac "playmakers". Just one of these guys would break the bank and wreck the entire culture of excellence and 'watching eachothers back' that we currently have

Chadman
02-03-2009, 09:30 PM
For every "play" that these "playmakers" make, they gamble wrong and give up a big one. That is just not our D philosophy. We give up everything underneath. While we don't have playmakers taking a lot of ints to the house, we also don't have a lot of db's watching wr's go by them for 6. That said, if Ike could catch, we have at least a half dozen more picks this year. Give me a TEAM defense like this one anyday over a D with egomaniac "playmakers". Just one of these guys would break the bank and wreck the entire culture of excellence and 'watching eachothers back' that we currently have

Can't Chadman hope for another Rod? :tt1

Seriously though- you put a CB with a reputation for INT's on the other side of Ike, where the Hell does the QB throw to? Over the middle? Nuh- Troy's there. Ike's coverage should be good, risk getting picked at the other CB spot?

Chadman think's it would make the D even better.

Not saying he wants an out-and-out gambler, but a guy that at least gives the QB 'pause', will give the OLB's the extra second or two to get the sack, etc...

Mel Blount's G
02-03-2009, 09:38 PM
I hear you. Let's hope we can DRAFT one of these super-instinct quick cb's with hands to match. I guess part of my problem is that I see these super special cb's as the prima donna wr's of the defense. Big ego's, big contracts and more concerned w/ personal stats then the teams W-L column. I realize it doesn't have to be that way but it's a personal fear I harbor. I fear a TEAM culture like the pats*** had and the Steelers currently have hangs in a fragile balance and could be upset by the wrong talented but self-absorbed football player. But then, Tomlin seems like a guy that could and would put a fathead in his place pretty quickly

papillon
02-04-2009, 12:42 AM
[quote=Chadman]Umm...

Pappy

Ah yes, but Pap...

But no mention of the 3rd or 4th quarter. Why bag the first 2 quarters??[/quote:1tgihzmc]

I agree that the first two quarters were good. I'm just sayin that the 3rd and 4th quarters were bad and that's because, in true Bruce Arians arrogant fashion he was making changes when none were needed.

Why go away from stuff that is working until they stop it. If they stay with the short passing game and a power running game in the 3rd quarter and the Cards stop it, then by all means, use the adjustments you talked about at half time. However, if they are going to continue to give 5, 6, or 7 yards for doing nothing more than stepping back and throwing the ball to Holmes and letting him run with it; then, I say use until they make an adjustment to it.

That's my gripe with BA, not his offense so much, but, his mindset that, "oh, it's working, so, lets stop it ourselves and try something that I dreamed up while I was in the shower this morning." That's my beef.

Pappy

schillah
02-04-2009, 12:44 AM
weaknesses....
none.. every weakness we have has a young guy filling in.... or can be replaced.

I see little wrong with this team.. sure the OL could be better but I also think Ben is prone to take 30+ sacks a year...

I think our playoff sacks allowed avg will be mimmicked next season. As much as we say we want our OL revamped these guys are young and they went from Philly flops to SB champs.

Let them gel...

Ummm sorry but I don't think Gay is better than McFadden

Flasteel
02-04-2009, 07:29 AM
I agree that the first two quarters were good. I'm just sayin that the 3rd and 4th quarters were bad and that's because, in true Bruce Arians arrogant fashion he was making changes when none were needed.

Why go away from stuff that is working until they stop it. If they stay with the short passing game and a power running game in the 3rd quarter and the Cards stop it, then by all means, use the adjustments you talked about at half time. However, if they are going to continue to give 5, 6, or 7 yards for doing nothing more than stepping back and throwing the ball to Holmes and letting him run with it; then, I say use until they make an adjustment to it.

That's my gripe with BA, not his offense so much, but, his mindset that, "oh, it's working, so, lets stop it ourselves and try something that I dreamed up while I was in the shower this morning." That's my beef.

Pappy

All legit gripes as far as I'm concerned Pap, but there was nothing special about that second quarter. Zero offensive points and we nearly allowed them to take the lead going in to the half (he he he). Arians does some things right, but in my opinion has way too many flaws as an OC.

Each night his new college HC job is in my prayers.

steeler_george
02-04-2009, 09:44 AM
Every team has a weakness, but the best teams are able to "hide" them. These might sound slim to some, but they could of cost us the season in so many games.

Here is our biggest weakness, that we need to correct.

1. "and inches"... We were able to punch it in all season long, when we were in an "and inches" scenerio. I swore must of been stopped inches of the goal line or the first down marker at least 20-25 times this year, when it was "and inches down".

Is that due to the play calling, bad luck, or just no talent for a power game.

2. Too many sacks.

Is it the OL talent, Ben buying too much time or can't read the defense, failure of the Wr to get open, play calling, or bad luck.

3. CB with play making abilities. We did get a fair bit of interceptions this year, but imagine if Ike could catch. That would of been at least 5 more interceptions. How incredible would this "D" be.

4. Consistency calling offensive plays. I am not saying they did an absolute horrible job, but it seems like they tried too hard to outsmart the opposing defense. What is working they get away from, and what is not working seems to force too often.

Is it BA at fault? Is the OL not suited to the offense? Just failure of execution?

Lebsteel
02-04-2009, 12:21 PM
weaknesses....

Let them gel...

Good observation on Spaeth. I've rewatched parts of the game several times to see who was missing blocks that allowed the Cardinals to get penetration. Several times it was the DT simply blowing by Spaeth. IMO, Spaeth is very slow or not too sure of who he should be blocking. He needs to improve if we are going to use him as a blocker. He is very bad in that role. Kemoeatu is also very slow to pick up blockers and IMO needs to be a backup or walk.

Also, I think Gay may be good if given the chance, but I'd feel a lot better if we could sign McFadden, but ONLY at a good price. Doesn't look like it with his dufus agent. I also am very much looking forward to Mendenhall coming back and with a few tweeks on the O-Line we may actually be able to sustain the run AND pass protect.

The other area we really need to work on getting replacements is obviously the D-Line. We are good for next year, but beyond that we will really have issues. We need to address this area as well as the O-Line this off season.