PDA

View Full Version : If you knew Ben was about to throw into triple coverage ...

SanAntonioSteelerFan
02-03-2009, 12:00 AM
... for what might be the second to last play of the game (but last if there's a pic), and you had a chance to stop him before he did- how many of us would have not let him make the throw, and made him throw out of bounds for one last play instead?

We are destined/doomed to live on the edge for this chapter of Steelers history!

snarky
02-03-2009, 12:03 AM
Ben plays on the knife-edge that is for sure.

In a way, that pass reminded me of the pass to ward at the back of the EZ in Denver in the 2005 AFCCG.

papillon
02-03-2009, 12:06 AM
... for what might be the second to last play of the game (but last if there's a pic), and you had a chance to stop him before he did- how many of us would have not let him make the throw, and made him throw out of bounds for one last play instead?

We are destined/doomed to live on the edge for this chapter of Steelers history!

Four years ago I'd do everything I could to stop him. This year, I say, "have at it big guy!!"

Unlike the throw that was intercepted 3 years ago in SB XL, this one was thrown where only one man could make a play on the ball and that man made the play.

Pappy

pick6
02-03-2009, 12:23 AM
honestly man I would have stopped him. right after seeing the ball go through holmes' hands at the other corner of the endzone, I wanted the next play to go to moore. I knew that holmes had torched them the entire drive and had just missed a game winning pass. I knew the cardinals were shell shocked and holmes was now the perfect decoy. The ball was snapped... ben drops back... my eyes are on moore...he leaks out to the right... Wide open... ben pumps... ben throws... I see a sea of red shirts...the ball looks too high for anyone...thrown to hard...then the ball vanishes... what the....the ref signals touchdown. I smiled saying to myself " Ben, you are crazy." Then me and mine went crazy. Then I told everybody to calm down and concentrate on this special teams tackle.

papillon
02-03-2009, 02:11 AM
honestly man I would have stopped him. right after seeing the ball go through holmes' hands at the other corner of the endzone, I wanted the next play to go to moore. I knew that holmes had torched them the entire drive and had just missed a game winning pass. I knew the cardinals were shell shocked and holmes was now the perfect decoy. The ball was snapped... ben drops back... my eyes are on moore...he leaks out to the right... Wide open... ben pumps... ben throws... I see a sea of red shirts...the ball looks too high for anyone...thrown to hard...then the ball vanishes... what the....the ref signals touchdown. I smiled saying to myself " Ben, you are crazy." Then me and mine went crazy. Then I told everybody to calm down and concentrate on this special teams tackle.

Moore wasn't open on that play. He is covered initially and appears to be Ben's first read. He becomes wide open when Ben comes back to Holmes and you can tell he's going to Holmes and the player covering him drops into the endzone to try and stop the catch. Moore was never open on the play.

Pappy

Discipline of Steel
02-03-2009, 03:15 PM
Moore was #1 and Holmes the #3 receiver on that play. Moore was covered, so was Holmes but apparently not 100%.

Did you all notice in the interview after the game Holmes said they called his number on that play? Then on Monday he made the point that he was the third receiver on the play. Sounds like someone straightened his story out for him.

stlrz d
02-03-2009, 04:10 PM
[youtube:2t9xovmi]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/d-LmPFHgE3k&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/d-LmPFHgE3k&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube:2t9xovmi]

Chachi
02-03-2009, 08:12 PM
I'd say throw it.

It reminded me of the 2nd, IIRC, TD in the AFCC game in Denver where Ben did his 6 shooter....

http://i44.tinypic.com/2rqk0up.gif

Very similar in a high ball to the back of the endzone where only the receiver could catch it.

snarky
02-03-2009, 08:16 PM
It reminded me of the 2nd, IIRC, TD in the AFCC game in Denver

Plagiarist :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

NorthCoast
02-03-2009, 09:51 PM
During the post-game even Ben admitted he thought he screwed up just as he let the pass go.....something to the effect "!@$#@$% I can't believe I just threw into that coverage". The good thing was he was able to put it where only one guy had a play on the ball. As the cliche goes; there is no defense for the perfect pass.

Captain Lemming
02-04-2009, 01:15 AM
I'd say throw it.

It reminded me of the 2nd, IIRC, TD in the AFCC game in Denver where Ben did his 6 shooter....

http://i44.tinypic.com/2rqk0up.gif

Very similar in a high ball to the back of the endzone where only the receiver could catch it.

That is the absolutely dumbest looking celebration I have ever seen. :D
I bet he took a ton of ribbing from the guys when that tape was first played.

But I'll take the TD.

pick6
02-04-2009, 03:02 AM
Yeah pap you are right. he was initially covered by i think it was no.20 who then faded back to the endzone. Ben is still crazy. but he is ours. and he's a winner.

Chachi
02-04-2009, 08:33 AM
It reminded me of the 2nd, IIRC, TD in the AFCC game in Denver

Plagiarist :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

no...no...no....

I had the .gif to go along with the story. :wink:

MeetJoeGreene
02-04-2009, 08:52 AM
Ben is a gunslinger for sure.

For all of the times that has backfired, it has also come up big.

This one was coming up REALLY big.

To answer the question, I wouldn't have stopped the throw where it was - as it was in the corner of the endzone. So triple coverage at that location isn't dumb like triple coverage in the middle of the field.

rpmpit
02-04-2009, 09:51 AM

Four years ago I'd do everything I could to stop him. This year, I say, "have at it big guy!!"

Unlike the throw that was intercepted 3 years ago in SB XL, this one was thrown where only one man could make a play on the ball and that man made the play.

Pappy

Totally agree Pap. The worst thing that could have happened would have been a deflection. None of the three Cards had a chance to catch that ball.

Wolfhound45
02-04-2009, 10:31 AM
Honest reply - I would have begged him to throw it away. Ben scares the *^&$%&* out of me when he is playing like he is back on the playground.

But he wins. And that is what he gets paid to do.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
02-04-2009, 03:59 PM
Honest reply - I would have begged him to throw it away. Ben scares the *^&$%&* out of me when he is playing like he is back on the playground.

I'm glad he didn't turn into the TV set and ask "Hey SASF, you want me to try this pass, or throw it away?"

Because I agree with Wolfhound45, I would have said throw it away, we got another play to go. He obviously has bigger cojones than me. I'm OK with that!

papillon
02-04-2009, 04:49 PM

I'm glad he didn't turn into the TV set and ask "Hey SASF, you want me to try this pass, or throw it away?"

Because I agree with Wolfhound45, I would have said throw it away, we got another play to go. He obviously has bigger cojones than me. I'm OK with that!

Wolfie and SASF,

You guys need to begin to embrace this absolute go for the throat quarterback that plays for the Steelers. Second place is for losers in Ben's eyes and he's not going to give up until there are no more bullets in his gun. It made me nuts the first few years and I actually believed that what he was doing was regressing as a QB. What he's been doing is trying to win every game and sometimes when you try to win, you lose.

As Ben has proven though, more often than not, he wins. Embrace it, enjoy it, there may never be another quarterback with the nerves that Ben Roethlisberger has in our lifetimes. We'll lament when his attempt at winning fails and call him all kinds of names, etc., but, man when he wins, he wins big!

Boys and Girls the next ten years are going to be a wild ride if you're a Steeler fan. Grab your favorite beverage, turn on the TV from September through Decmeber (hopefully, into January and February) and enjoy the freaking ride! No other fans are going to have as much fun as Steeler fans for the next ten years.

There isn't a more exciting player in football right now.

Pappy

SanAntonioSteelerFan
02-04-2009, 05:05 PM

Wolfie and SASF,

You guys need to begin to embrace this absolute go for the throat quarterback that plays for the Steelers. Second place is for losers in Ben's eyes and he's not going to give up until there are no more bullets in his gun. It made me nuts the first few years and I actually believed that what he was doing was regressing as a QB. What he's been doing is trying to win every game and sometimes when you try to win, you lose.

As Ben has proven though, more often than not, he wins. Embrace it, enjoy it, there may never be another quarterback with the nerves that Ben Roethlisberger has in our lifetimes. We'll lament when his attempt at winning fails and call him all kinds of names, etc., but, man when he wins, he wins big!

Boys and Girls the next ten years are going to be a wild ride if you're a Steeler fan. Grab your favorite beverage, turn on the TV from September through Decmeber (hopefully, into January and February) and enjoy the freaking ride! No other fans are going to have as much fun as Steeler fans for the next ten years.

Pappy

Pap - I'm with you on that, just send me game summaries when I wake up in the cardiac care unit after the big game, like that guy in the 'burgh did after The Bus' fumble against the Colts in 05!

Wolfhound45
02-04-2009, 05:06 PM

Wolfie and SASF,

Pappy

Here is what I have gotten out of watching Ben play;

1 - Go back and watch games of Terry Bradshaw back in the 1970s. It is frightening the similarity of style of play. Both of them were wild and reckless. And both of them won.

2 - Note that it was not until SB XIII when Terry Bradshaw threw his first (FIRST) 300 yard game in the NFL. Look at what Ben has accomplished in a fraction of the time.

The kid is money, plain and simple. He just scares the heck outta me.

Terry Bradshaw
Career Statistics
(1970 - 1983)
http://www.mcmillenandwife.com/bradshaw ... stats.html (http://www.mcmillenandwife.com/bradshaw_career_stats.html)

papillon
02-04-2009, 05:32 PM

Wolfie and SASF,

Pappy

Pap - I'm with you on that, just send me game summaries when I wake up in the cardiac care unit after the big game, like that guy in the 'burgh did after The Bus' fumble against the Colts in 05!

No problem, I have you covered. Be sure that you have specific instructions for the EMTs to take your laptop to the CC unit, so that, you can receive my game summaries. :wink:

Pappy