PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin 1....Whis 0

snarky
02-02-2009, 11:54 PM
A new twist on an old classic

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4182&st=0&sk=t&sd=a (http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4182&st=0&sk=t&sd=a)

SanAntonioSteelerFan
02-03-2009, 12:07 AM
Rereading that thread I am proud to say I was the first to say :wft to that warped thinking.

snarky
02-03-2009, 12:19 AM
Rereading that thread I am proud to say I was the first to say :wft to that warped thinking.

No doubt dude.

LasVegasGuy
02-03-2009, 12:31 AM
Couldn't we say Whiz won the battle and Tomlin won the war.

It was very nice to see the guy I thought should have gotten the Steelers job get beat by the guy who actually got Steelers job. I would have been pissed had Tomlin been 0-2 against Whiz with one of the losses being in the Super Bowl.

snarky
02-03-2009, 12:36 AM

It was very nice to see the guy I thought should have gotten the Steelers job get beat by the guy who actually got Steelers job. I would have been pissed had Tomlin been 0-2 against Whiz with one of the losses being in the Super Bowl.

Sure we can say whatever. But at the time that thread was posted, whisenhunt had been gone from our organization for about 24 months. So I have no idea why it was still an issue to compare the two. I like whiz be he is long gone from this organization.

eniparadoxgma
02-03-2009, 12:37 AM

What battle are you referring to? :?:

LasVegasGuy
02-03-2009, 12:37 AM

Sure we can say whatever. But at the time that thread was posted, whisenhunt had been gone from our organization for about 24 months. So I have no idea why it was still an issue to compare the two. I like whiz be he is long gone from this organization.

I just thought it sounded appropriate.

AngryAsian
02-03-2009, 12:38 AM
I think this team wins out regardless of whether the Rooneys hired Whiz or Tomlin... but Tomlin was the right man for the job. Write it down, Mike Tomlin will win another Lombardi before he's through... if not more.

LasVegasGuy
02-03-2009, 12:38 AM

The first meeting between the Steelers and Cardinals in Arizona. (Battle)

The next meeting between the Steelers and Cardinals in Tampa. (War)

snarky
02-03-2009, 12:41 AM
I think this team wins out regardless of whether the Rooneys hired Whiz or Tomlin... but Tomlin was the right man for the job. Write it down, Mike Tomlin will win another Lombardi before he's through... if not more.

Totally agree. And also it might be important to remember that the decision was Grimm or Tomlin not Whiz or Tomlin.

The ironic thing is that Tomlin might not have been interviewed if not for the Rooney rule and I think, in the end, he is a perfect fit for this team. His "I walk past 5 Lombardi trophies" comment is spot on.

Chadman
02-03-2009, 12:42 AM
Why is it even a debate?

Would Whiz have won 2 SB's to Tomlin's 1?

It's not like it's OUR money the Rooney's are spending on a HC.

Why not just go along with their choice?

LasVegasGuy
02-03-2009, 12:42 AM

Even I would be surprised if he didn't. We have a sound football team with a few minor hiccups that need to be corrected. Unless we have a complete meltdown we should be in the thick of things each year.

eniparadoxgma
02-03-2009, 12:48 AM

The first meeting between the Steelers and Cardinals in Arizona. (Battle)

The next meeting between the Steelers and Cardinals in Tampa. (War)

Only problem with that is that the Cards didn't just win a battle. That game was awhile ago...

Seems to make sense to say something more like "Whiz won one battle but Tomlin won the war" or some such IMO. Dunno, it just doesn't seem like you're using that saying correctly...

LMAO at the original thread that this was linked to.

What happened to adg? hahaha

What happened to "tomlinsucks"? hahaha

What happened to rick? Oh yeah, who cares hahaha.

WOO HOO!!!!!!!! :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2

snarky
02-03-2009, 12:50 AM
LMAO at the original thread that this was linked to.

You might enjoy this portion:

viewtopic.php?p=50826#p50826 (http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?p=50826#p50826)

AngryAsian
02-03-2009, 12:50 AM

Even I would be surprised if he didn't. We have a sound football team with a few minor hiccups that need to be corrected. Unless we have a complete meltdown we should be in the thick of things each year.

That's why I'm so critical of BA... I want to be higher than 22nd in the league in offense. We need to at least in the top ten next season. I'm hoping our options improve when we draft and take a look at FA this offseason.

snarky
02-03-2009, 12:53 AM
Asian, I think if you have a #1 defense, you will never have a top ten offense - simply because the offense does not have to produce as much. Teams like the cards (and I am not bagging on them here) have to go at it full throttle offensively because they know they need the points. The Cards didn't win a game this year without scoring at least 23 points.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
02-03-2009, 12:53 AM

Very nice new sig, Asian. And the words ... I heard them as background on a youtube Harrison destructfest video. Very nice.

AngryAsian
02-03-2009, 12:55 AM

Very nice new sig, Asian. And the words ... I heard them as background on a youtube Harrison destructfest video. Very nice.

Thank you, bro... my temporary one until I come up with something awesome.

LasVegasGuy
02-03-2009, 01:03 AM

That's why I'm so critical of BA... I want to be higher than 22nd in the league in offense. We need to at least in the top ten next season. I'm hoping our options improve when we draft and take a look at FA this offseason.

If this offense was a top 10 offense we would be killing teams. We had every chance to put the Cardinals away and we just let them hang around and hang around.

It was sickening to watch us kick a field goal from inside the 5 only to get a personal foul 3 more plays and kick a field goal from inside the 5. We had 6 tries and still couldn't get in the endzone. This is a glaring problem that we need to address in the draft.

AngryAsian
02-03-2009, 01:12 AM

If this offense was a top 10 offense we would be killing teams. We had every chance to put the Cardinals away and we just let them hang around and hang around.

It was sickening to watch us kick a field goal from inside the 5 only to get a personal foul 3 more plays and kick a field goal from inside the 5. We had 6 tries and still couldn't get in the endzone. This is a glaring problem that we need to address in the draft.

This is what I'm concerned with. Being the champs means everybody will be gunning for us next year. I want this team to compete and we can't keep winning by the skin of our teeth. I want more games like the SD game. We just dominated.

LasVegasGuy
02-03-2009, 01:26 AM

This is what I'm concerned with. Being the champs means everybody will be gunning for us next year. I want this team to compete and we can't keep winning by the skin of our teeth. I want more games like the SD game. We just dominated.

Cant forget the Patriots either. We beat the crap out of them and put that game completely out of reach.

It seems like we are content to win ugly and I can't stand it. I know a win is a win but you have to put the pedal to the floor when you have the lead. We can't continue to let teams hang around. If Arians can call a complete game like the calls he was making in the first quarter we might be O.K.

What happened to the quick drop passes to the receivers at the line of scrimmage this was working then we got the lead and Arians abandoned it. I just don't get the thinking something is working stick with it until they stop it, once they figure out how to stop it means something else will start working. I have a feeling Arians doesn't know how to adjust. I think we win all these games when he isn't required to think all that much and he has to abandon his conventional wisdom. Plus, I think Ben is calling most of the plays down the stretch and that is why we are winning.

snarky
02-03-2009, 01:31 AM
Plus, I think Ben is calling most of the plays down the stretch and that is why we are winning.

That's something I have been wondering about all year. And I agree, Arians does seem to abandon stuff when it is working. Maybe he needs to go to Pitt and take a class in game theory.

AngryAsian
02-03-2009, 01:38 AM
....Plus, I think Ben is calling most of the plays down the stretch and that is why we are winning.

BINGO! That's our season in a nutshell. Roethlisberger improvisation and play calling.

Jigawatts
02-03-2009, 05:22 AM

Totally agree. And also it might be important to remember that the decision was Grimm or Tomlin not Whiz or Tomlin.

The ironic thing is that Tomlin might not have been interviewed if not for the Rooney rule and I think, in the end, he is a perfect fit for this team. His "I walk past 5 Lombardi trophies" comment is spot on.

I have a horrible memory, but did the Steelers interview Ron Rivera and wouldn't he be
the Rooney Rule interviewee?

Tomlin is the coach. Whiz is not. Get over it.

Flasteel
02-03-2009, 07:40 AM

I just thought it sounded appropriate.

Because it makes you sound less wrong? :lol:

I'll give you some props for sticking your head in the room LVG, but you need to come with something better than this.

Keep repeating the below phrase over and over.
I love Mike Tomlin...I love Mike Tomlin....I love Mike Tomlin...

Oviedo
02-03-2009, 08:50 AM

I couldn't agree more. Whiz is gone and history. He had a team that he was doing everything he could to beat OUR team. He gets no good feelings from me for that.

Chachi
02-03-2009, 08:53 AM

I have a horrible memory, but did the Steelers interview Ron Rivera and wouldn't he be
the Rooney Rule interviewee?

Tomlin is the coach. Whiz is not. Get over it.

You are correct and beat me to it. Rivera "satisfied" the requirement. Tomlin was a late addition to the interview process.

Nothing ironic about it.

MeetJoeGreene
02-03-2009, 08:57 AM
What happened to the quick drop passes to the receivers at the line of scrimmage this was working then we got the lead and Arians abandoned it. I g.

It very well could be that AZ made adjustments and weren't giving us that play (or the look that would make Ben go that way first). any longer. There is also the notion of not going to the well too often.

Our redszone, short yardage does need to greatly improve. And I believe that is a direct function of our offensive line. I believe that we will address it in FA and/or draft ...

stlrz d
02-03-2009, 12:29 PM
Just for those who may not remember, or even know, snarky quit the trib board over the racism and over paid janitor stuff.

snarky
02-03-2009, 12:36 PM
Yeah, I'm well over the Tomlin hire. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have been a Tomlin supporter from day one. Although I didn't know about the Rivera interview. That's interesting to me because last year there was a lot of chatter about Tomlin being hired only because of the rooney rule.

Maybe it's kinda like Obama. Before the election, some folks were saying Obama was a black nationalist muslim sleeper cell terrorist anti-christ who went to a racist church. But now that he won some of the same folks are saying he is not really black.

anyway, I'm not really trying to piss in anyone's cornflakes as much as I am trying to point out (with the original post) that the constant comparison between the two men (Whis and Tomlin) was petty and ridiculous.

feltdizz
02-03-2009, 02:28 PM
Yeah, I'm well over the Tomlin hire. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have been a Tomlin supporter from day one. Although I didn't know about the Rivera interview. That's interesting to me because last year there was a lot of chatter about Tomlin being hired only because of the rooney rule.

Maybe it's kinda like Obama. Before the election, some folks were saying Obama was a black nationalist muslim sleeper cell terrorist anti-christ who went to a racist church. But now that he won some of the same folks are saying he is not really black.

anyway, I'm not really trying to piss in anyone's cornflakes as much as I am trying to point out (with the original post) that the constant comparison between the two men (Whis and Tomlin) was petty and ridiculous.

http://images.ucomics.com/comics/db/2008/db081105.gif

I found the whole Whiz Tomlin comparison funny... and Tomlin said it best, next years team will be different. Every team is.