PDA

View Full Version : Important Dates

Chemsteel
02-02-2009, 05:40 PM
Coach Tomlin was elated in victory but was already planning next year. He reminded all the players and coaches to come prepared for next year.

Some important dates are as follows:

Feb. 8: Pro Bowl
Feb. 18-24: NFL Scouting Combine
Feb. 19: Deadline for designation of Franchise Players and Transition Players
Feb. 27: Free Agency and trading period begins
March 22-25: Annual Owners Meeting
April 17: Signing period ends for restricted free agents
April 24: Deadline for old clubs to exercise right of first refusal
April 25-26: NFL Draft
May 18-20: Spring Meeting
Aug. 9: Hall of Fame Game
Sep. 1: Roster cutdown to 75 players
Sep. 5: Roster cutdown to 53 players

Just a few thoughts to add to our thinking:
- All agents are obligated by the NFLPA to sign the contract which totals the highest value of all legitimate offers. Only players can intervene and by written consent declare they want to play for a team at less total monies.

- The Steelers play the first game of the year in 2009. I think the Tennessee Titans may be our game.

- The following site takes you to some downloads of the game but of relevance are the interviews of Coach Tomlin by John Lynch and the interview of Coach LeBeau by Rod Woodson. You will hear the most important thing in coaching which is why the Steeler players love Coach LeBeau.

http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/43/videos/ ... 5d80e807bf (http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/43/videos/features#page:1/video:09000d5d80e807bf)

Jigawatts
02-02-2009, 05:43 PM
Chem, is 2009 a contract year for J. Harrison and will there be some negotiating
before the season begins.

Chemsteel
02-02-2009, 06:49 PM
Chem, is 2009 a contract year for J. Harrison and will there be some negotiating
before the season begins.

The official rumor is that the Front Office had McFadden as their number one priority but Rosenhaus queered the deal stating that he wants Gamble money for McFadden. The Steelers are not going over $30,000,000 for five years.

They are now targeting Heath Miller for long term which should be no problem and restructuring James Harrison. These two guys are number one priority now.

The Steelers have been informed that Max Starks intends to hit the open market. He now has higher value since he started at LT for a Super Bowl Team. I don't see them signing him unless he writes the agent and tells them he will take less money to stay in Pittsburgh.

Marvel Smith has had two back operations. He is really damaged property and should retire. Don't look for the Steelers to resign him.

I don't think Kendall Simmons will contribute much in 2009.

Just remeber what Coach Tomlin said...."We win with talent at the skill positions." We did win the Super Bowl with talent at the skill positions but we almost lost the Super Bowl with lack of talent on the OL.

Don't look for Willie to be extended. He is also in his last year.

Nate Washington wants to stay in Pittsburgh and has told his agent to do the best deal with us. I look for him to be extended.

This leaves us Colon and Kemo who are RFA's. The Steelers like Cappizi and think Hill can contribute if he gets stronger. I don't know about either. To me they are just an extension to a marginal OL. Much will depend on FA signings and the draft.

phillyesq
02-03-2009, 11:03 AM
Chem, great insights as always.

Please keep 'em coming!

Lebsteel
02-03-2009, 11:37 AM
Chem, one correction....Kemoeatu is a UFA.

http://gnb.scout.com/a.z?s=61&p=9&c=12&yr=2009&nid=83&lnid=83&rc=16&pid=6

Lebsteel
02-04-2009, 06:39 PM
Chem, thanks for posting these dates. I am anxious for the Combine and the FA period. It will be fun to watch who stays, who goes and who we bring in. My fingers are crossed!