PDA

View Full Version : Is Anthony Smith going to be cut in the off season?

toddjammin
02-02-2009, 04:47 PM
He was on the inactive list for the Super Bowl. It sounds to me he is defnitely in the dog house and I can't blame the coaching staff one bit in my opinion. This is especially after what he did last year.

frankthetank1
02-02-2009, 04:51 PM
i would think tryone carter would be close to retiring so im not sure if they would cut smith. you need a good back up for troy. i think smith's future depends on what they think of roy lewis.

calmkiller
02-02-2009, 04:52 PM
I would say so. They drafted Mundy last year and he was signed back to the PS after he was injured late in the preseason. I would say they give him another look this season as a FA and probably save some money.

Oviedo
02-02-2009, 04:53 PM
i would think tryone carter would be close to retiring so im not sure if they would cut smith. you need a good back up for troy. i think smith's future depends on what they think of roy lewis.

I would agree. I think Smith has probably run his course with the Steelers. The guy just seems like a bonehead. Remember he apparently showed great disrespect to LaBeau in camp after he jumped on him for cheapshots on his team mates.

Disrespect LaBeau and you have probably lost all respect and credibility in the eyes of coaches and players.

frankthetank1
02-02-2009, 04:58 PM

I would agree. I think Smith has probably run his course with the Steelers. The guy just seems like a bonehead. Remember he apparently showed great disrespect to LaBeau in camp after he jumped on him for cheapshots on his team mates.

Disrespect LaBeau and you have probably lost all respect and credibility in the eyes of coaches and players.

that is very true. smith is probably gone. it is a shame. i thought he had a lot of potential. he is a great hitter and when troy went down in 2006 in smith's rookie year he had a few ints, i thought he was going to be very good

Oviedo
02-02-2009, 05:10 PM

that is very true. smith is probably gone. it is a shame. i thought he had a lot of potential. he is a great hitter and when troy went down in 2006 in smith's rookie year he had a few ints, i thought he was going to be very good

Anthony Smith should feel honored to clean the toilet after LaBeau finshes. LaBeau is such a great teacher that if he couldn't getthrough to Smith that is on Smith.

I agree with theother posts that Ryan Mundy and Roy Lewis will probably be in the mix for roster spots next season.

As I said on another post earlier today I really would not be surprised to see 8 new faces on the roster next year. Tomlin will not let this team become complacent. In addition to Mundy and Lewis I could see Mike Humpal opening the door for Larry Foote's exit.

calmkiller
02-02-2009, 05:16 PM

As I said on another post earlier today I really would not be surprised to see 8 new faces on the roster next year. Tomlin will not let this team become complacent. In addition to Mundy and Lewis I could see Mike Humpal opening the door for Larry Foote's exit.

Not to mention a gentlemen named Lawrence Timmons.

phillyesq
02-02-2009, 06:36 PM

I remember having high hopes for Smith as well. It looks like he certainly won't pan out in Pittsburgh, but with a change of scenery, I wonder if he might still turn out to be halfway decent.

I believe that he is a RFA. I would tender him at the lowest amount ($927,000), which would bring a third round pick as compensation if he leaves. Some team (the Saints come to mind) desperate for help at safety might see Smith as a talented young guy that needs a change of scenery. He seemed a bit more humble in some pre SB interviews, so perhaps that will induce somebody to roll the dice on him. Best case scenario -- the Steelers get another third round pick, providing some ammunition to move up in the first or second if they choose to do so. Worst case scenario -- he stays for one more year as a backup and then leaves.

SteelerOfDeVille
02-02-2009, 06:39 PM
they'll draft a FS in rounds 3-5...

i thought syracuse's contract was up... does he have more time?

SteelerOfDeVille
02-02-2009, 06:53 PM
anybody know if ty carter's bro made this game? can't remember how long his sentence was....

SidSmythe
02-02-2009, 06:55 PM
I think he's at camp this year at least.

I say the odds are against him and he better do some soul searchin' if he wants a successful NFL career.

ghettoscott
02-02-2009, 09:32 PM
He was on the inactive list for the Super Bowl. It sounds to me he is defnitely in the dog house and I can't blame the coaching staff one bit in my opinion. This is especially after what he did last year.

? i thought he played well when he had the chance last year...if you are refering to the "guarantee" that was not a "guarantee" that would be a silly reason for a coach to cut someone. I hope we keep him, i think he will end up playing well....i doubt he is on the roster though.

phillyesq
02-02-2009, 09:57 PM

He will be a restricted free agent.

SteelerOfDeVille
02-03-2009, 01:41 AM

He will be a restricted free agent.
that's not being cut... that's not being re-signed...

I'm thinking Curtis Taylor, LSU. 3rd round. 6'3", 205, should run in the 4.4's... good measurables... with Lebeau and Tomlin guiding those measurables, he could be a player....

Steeler Shades
02-03-2009, 08:47 AM
? i thought he played well when he had the chance last year...if you are refering to the "guarantee" that was not a "guarantee" that would be a silly reason for a coach to cut someone.
I think he was referring to the quality of his play in the NE game. Bad. 8)

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-03-2009, 10:24 AM
Anthony Smith???

This can't be the same Anthony Smith who everybody thought should start at FS coming out of camp last year, could it?? :shock:

Steeler Shades
02-03-2009, 04:54 PM
This can't be the same Anthony Smith who everybody thought should start at FS coming out of camp last year, could it?? :shock:
Yes I believe it is. It may also be the same Anthony Smith that everybody thought was showing "spirit" by hitting receivers in the no contact practices. 8)

"The brotherhood that the Steelers have, their way of doing business, their way of playing football, spans decades. Their way of building teams that do not blink and players that do not shrink, well, there is nothing come-lately about it."

DukieBoy
02-03-2009, 08:47 PM
Cleveland will sign him.