PDA

View Full Version : The Return; One of the most chaotic plays ever

snarky
02-02-2009, 03:18 PM
On rewatching the return, it strikes me how chaotic that play was. Usually on a return that long and with that many guys out to block, there are maybe one or two attempts at a tackle that get snuffed out by the blockers. But because of Harrison's *speed* guys were having to peel back and block the backside and it was as though every single block was coming just in time. Amazing play.

mshifko
02-02-2009, 03:23 PM
it was unreal...deshea tried to get him to lateral the ball to him, then he went and blocked downfield, keisel had a big block, timmons pushed fitz out of bounds, then knocked down one of our guys, then fitz ran into antrel rolle, and then harrison landed on fitz' thigh in the endzone for the TD...unbelievable

snarky
02-02-2009, 03:28 PM
deshea tried to get him to lateral the ball to him,

Silverback Knows Best

RussBII
02-02-2009, 03:35 PM
During lunch, I saw a thinger on ESPN about how Fitz might've gotten back in bounds sooner if not for a rogue cardinal standing on the actually sideline.

Steeler Expat
02-02-2009, 03:57 PM
Yea Fitz ran into one of his own players (not involved in the play) that was on the white part of the sideline. You can see it on the first replay they show. He definitely held up Fitz.

MeetJoeGreene
02-02-2009, 04:00 PM
On rewatching the return, it strikes me how chaotic that play was. Usually on a return that long and with that many guys out to block, there are maybe one or two attempts at a tackle that get snuffed out by the blockers. But because of Harrison's *speed* guys were having to peel back and block the backside and it was as though every single block was coming just in time. Amazing play.

The only constant was Harrison, rumbling down the field. While everything else was chaotic.... he WAS THE STORM.... clearing all in his path. He would not be denied.... it was a thing of beauty....

feltdizz
02-02-2009, 04:30 PM
I said he was gone as soon as Deshea stopped trying to get him to hand the ball off to him.

Then everytime it looked like he was going down BAM! he would get a block.. or the guy would dive and Harrison would jump... if you look at Fitz you will see Timmons or Woodley throw a crushing block that pushed a Card into Fitz and made him bounce out of bounds.

incredible play.

snarky
02-02-2009, 04:36 PM
While Harrison's individual effort was amazing, it was a total team effort to get him there. Just awesome.

I wonder if that play call puts Bad Word into the Hall?

feltdizz
02-02-2009, 04:46 PM
While Harrison's individual effort was amazing, it was a total team effort to get him there. Just awesome.

I wonder if that play call puts Bad Word into the Hall?

Lebeau is going in regardless....

steelsnis
02-02-2009, 04:53 PM
if you look at Fitz you will see Timmons or Woodley throw a crushing block that pushed a Card into Fitz and made him bounce out of bounds.

Yeah i noticed that on one of the replays. I'm pretty sure it was Timmons who came flying in there and bowled a couple of Cards out of bounds. Awesome play.

NC Steeler Fan
02-02-2009, 05:06 PM
Yeah, "rumbling" down the field describes it best.

Not a sprint like a wideout.

Not a lumbering amble like a lineman who scoops up a ball.

RUMBLING!!!!!!

And yeah, it was like he had a force field around him for so long,
things just bounced out of the way or around him.

Totally wild and I don't blame him ONE bit for not handing that ball
off...

He chases QBs with the ball for a living...I imagine he had a blood lust
to take that thing to the house...

Sugar
02-02-2009, 05:39 PM
I noted on Troy's pick 6 in the Baltimore game how well the D players block when they get a pick. It was similar yesterday- great to see and a tribute to how they watch out for each other.

In this post-season I have seen the Defense, receivers and even the quarterback do excellent blocking jobs (not just "pic's" either). It's a sign of a well coached squad.

NorthCoast
02-02-2009, 08:58 PM
I noted on Troy's pick 6 in the Baltimore game how well the D players block when they get a pick. It was similar yesterday- great to see and a tribute to how they watch out for each other.

In this post-season I have seen the Defense, receivers and even the quarterback do excellent blocking jobs (not just "pic's" either). It's a sign of a well coached squad.

It's not just the D watching their backs, did anyone else notice the replay of Ben's pick? Ben actually makes a mighty attempt at tackling the interceptor.

Slapstick
02-02-2009, 11:59 PM
It's not just the D watching their backs, did anyone else notice the replay of Ben's pick? Ben actually makes a mighty attempt at tackling the interceptor.

We all know that Roethlisberger can tackle... :tt2

On ESPN this morning, I saw a short interview with Carey Davis...they asked him about Deebo's INT and return...

He said, "Well, DeShea, rightly, tried to get James to give him the ball. But, after James told him...uh...that he wasn't gonna get it, DeShea threw a block on Kurt Warner."

I got the distinct impression that Carey almost said something that could have warranted an FCC fine...he said the italicized words instead...

I would have given anything for a tape from one of those parabolic microphones on the sideline used by NFL films...I can just imagine what Deebo said... :lol: