PDA

View Full Version : McFadden

feltdizz
02-02-2009, 01:50 PM
maybe it's me but I think Gay is better then him. McFadden was chasing a lot yesterday.

I hope this makes it easier to resign him.

Oviedo
02-02-2009, 01:56 PM
McFadden will not resign with the Steelers. he let it be known when he hired Drew Rosenhaus in the off season he was interested in the money only. That's his right.

I'd go after Nmandi Asomugha and make this defense the best ever.

If Bmac doesn't resign and goes elsewhere don't be surprsided if we go CB in Round 1 of the draft.

SteelerOfDeVille
02-02-2009, 02:00 PM
McFadden will not resign with the Steelers. he let it be known when he hired Drew Rosenhaus in the off season he was interested in the money only. That's his right.

If Bmac doesn't resign and goes elsewhere don't be surprsided if we go CB in Round 1 of the draft.
with 2 rings, I can't say that I blame the guy in looking to set up himself (and family) for life. If the Steelers want to give him "backup" money and someone else wants to give him elite money - MOST of us would leave (well, we're steelers fans - but, if it was a team we weren't fans of)....

still expecting o-line if at all possible in the draft.

feltdizz
02-02-2009, 02:03 PM

with 2 rings, I can't say that I blame the guy in looking to set up himself (and family) for life. If the Steelers want to give him "backup" money and someone else wants to give him elite money - MOST of us would leave (well, we're steelers fans - but, if it was a team we weren't fans of)....

so do we trade up for OL? Will we get value at OL as the 32nd pick?

BURGH86STEEL
02-02-2009, 02:09 PM

I doubt the Steelers sign Nmandi. He would probably want to much money. I could see the Steelers taking a corner in the draft. Do not know if it will be in round one. Hopefully, a quality Olineman will drop down in the draft. OL, DL, and CB are the 3 areas they should look to first.

Steel Life
02-02-2009, 02:10 PM

Good thoughts O, but if Bmac is too rich for us, then Nmandi won't even be worth considering. As for going CB in the 1st, who? - Vontae Davis scares me, let's stick to the lines...

Steelgal
02-02-2009, 02:15 PM

I doubt the Steelers sign Nmandi. He would probably want to much money. I could see the Steelers taking a corner in the draft. Do not know if it will be in round one. Hopefully, a quality Olineman will drop down in the draft. OL, DL, and CB are the 3 areas they should look to first.

I don't think we'd go after Asomugha, but after playing for a joke of a team in the Raiders, don't you think he might take a bit less to play for one of the most well-respected franchises in the league?? Still don't think there's any way he ends up here, but something to consider.

SteelerOfDeVille
02-02-2009, 02:17 PM

so do we trade up for OL? Will we get value at OL as the 32nd pick?
I'd be willing to trade up... generally speaking, we do pretty well with early picks... and losing Faneca could get us another 3rd. (which I know we can't trade, but, would only be a pick or two behind the "tradeable" 3rd @ 32 in the round).

BURGH86STEEL
02-02-2009, 02:19 PM

I don't think we'd go after Asomugha, but after playing for a joke of a team in the Raiders, don't you think he might take a bit less to play for one of the most well-respected franchises in the league?? Still don't think there's any way he ends up here, but something to consider.

For players, the league is a biz. In most cases, they have to get as much money as they can. Their careers can end on one play. If he were an older player, he might want to take less money for a chance to win. He is young and money talks. If it were me, I am going for the money. I think you are speaking from a fan's perspective.

steeld95
02-02-2009, 02:41 PM
maybe it's me but I think Gay is better then him. McFadden was chasing a lot yesterday.

I hope this makes it easier to resign him.

I thought Gay showed he can step in if we lose McFadden. There really wasn't a drop off. I look for an increased role from him regardless.

SteelerOfDeVille
02-02-2009, 02:49 PM
let me get this right...

you guys think Gay is the way?

:lol:

mshifko
02-02-2009, 02:50 PM
it's going to depend on what bmac wants to do...he's with drew rosenhaus so he'll go for the money, unless he's really happy with his situation here...i'd love to see him stay, but wouldn't want to break the bank when we can address our team in other fashions...i wish him luck if he leaves, he's a talented dude

Steeler Shades
02-02-2009, 03:02 PM
McFadden was chasing a lot yesterday.
Giving up almost 377 yards of passing in the last three quarters, McFadden wasn't the only one doing a lot of chasing yesterday. 8)

Oviedo
02-02-2009, 03:04 PM

That would be the selling point.

feltdizz
02-02-2009, 04:34 PM
McFadden was chasing a lot yesterday.
Giving up almost 377 yards of passing in the last three quarters, McFadden wasn't the only one doing a lot of chasing yesterday. 8)

late in the game we were burned a lot. Early on though I remember 2 plays were McFadden bit or was out of position and the Cards got nice gains.

I didn't miss McFadden when he was hurt... Gay played that well IMO.

AngryAsian
02-02-2009, 04:59 PM
With this championship, a lot of our young bucks will have the "ALREADY CLIMBED THE MOUNTAIN, NOW IT'S TIME TO GET PAID" syndrome. Anybody who has DR as an agent will most certainly be thinking this. Let BMAC go... the player that I want retained is Timmons. He'll only get better when he assumes the starting role next year. Look what happened to both Harrison and Woodley, once they started contributing in a full time starter capacity.

Lebsteel
02-02-2009, 09:38 PM
With this championship, a lot of our young bucks will have the "ALREADY CLIMBED THE MOUNTAIN, NOW IT'S TIME TO GET PAID" syndrome. Anybody who has DR as an agent will most certainly be thinking this. Let BMAC go... the player that I want retained is Timmons. He'll only get better when he assumes the starting role next year. Look what happened to both Harrison and Woodley, once they started contributing in a full time starter capacity.

Why would you be concerned with Timmons? He signed a five year contract as a rookie in 2007.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2945434

Chavezz
02-02-2009, 10:32 PM
let me get this right...

you guys think Gay is the way?

:lol:

Pretty sure that he's going Gay.

SidSmythe
02-02-2009, 10:43 PM
This DEFENSE played great w/out McFadden. As long as our Front 7 are getting the job done, he's not worth the money when we need to fix our O-Line.

Say goodbye, draft a CB and get a 5th round comp pick.

Mel Blount's G
02-02-2009, 10:48 PM
Not a chance in hell we sign asomogagaanuuggaaa. Not even a distant, remote possibility.

No doubt we get a cb in the draft. Now where in the draft that is I wouldn't hazard a guess

Chadman
02-02-2009, 11:25 PM
Honestly- we were all hung up on how good McFadden was playing for us, and he was, but he wasn't 'outstanding' in any catagory.

He'll get paid, and paid well, as a 2 time SB winning CB this off season.

But most likely, not with the Steelers.

Chadman would not be surprised if a young CB like Darius Butler might be on Mike Tomlin's radar- a guy that is 'pure cover' with good hands. A 'gamechanger' at Cb is one thing the Steelers simply do not have.

The need for multiple OL options in the draft 'could' be overstated. If Starks is resigned to play LT, if Simmons is reinstated at OG, if Colon moves inside to OG...only RT is open. 1 addition to the OL could be all the Steelers look at next season. The SB showed Chadman that Kemo doesn't get it & Stapleton isn't physically strong enough to hold up. Improve the interior blocking & the OL will look a thousand times better.

So grabbing a CB on Day 1 is certainly not out of the question.

TallyStiller
02-02-2009, 11:31 PM
Alphonso Smith from Wake Forest. Smallish guy, but CONSTANTLY making big plays. Just has a nose for the ball. If all 6 of the 1st round tackles, Duke Robinson and Alex Mack are gone when we pick, I think we'd have to consider corner R1, rather than wasting a pick on a need based reach. If we handle our FA O linemen prudently, I think we'll be in a position to draft talented players who fall to us early and try to fill other spots if that's what the available talent dictates.

Slapstick
02-02-2009, 11:36 PM
A guy that I would love to see in a black helmet is Antoine Winfield...

Next year is his contract year with the Vikings...he is a Pro Bowl starter this year, so he is still playing at a high level...he has some history with Tomlin and experience playing in a 3-4 defense...

He may have the opposite mindset of McFadden: "I got paid...now it's time to climb the mountain".

I can now definitely see the Steelers drawing the same type of talented, veteran free agents that were once the sole purview...guys who are willing to take less money to play for a true contender...

If B-Mac leaves, I might send a draft pick to the Vikings for Winfield as opposed to using a high draft pick on a corner...

AngryAsian
02-03-2009, 12:04 AM

Why would you be concerned with Timmons? He signed a five year contract as a rookie in 2007.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2945434

I'm not concerned about Timmons being extended this offseason, because of his current contract... I'm concerned about Timmons because Drew Rosenhaus is his agent. Anybody who has DR in his corner and produces on a team... that team pays. DR is all about SHOWING HIM THE MONEY.

pick6
02-03-2009, 12:08 AM
if we lose bmac, then cornerback becomes our number one priority. Tomlin is an ex-defensive backs coach and he wanted Revis but missed out on him. Tomlin thinks the OL now has great experience and depth and there will not be any Olineman at the end of round one that is better than what he has. I really think that he is awaiting the return of Marvel Smith to right tackle and simmons will compete at the guard position. He thinks they could get someone in the 2nd or 3rd round. but cornerback, we have to have 3 corners who are bonified starters. anything less and you start looking like the browns or even the cardinals. plus there could be a great corner at the end of the first round.

SteelerOfDeVille
02-03-2009, 01:01 AM
A guy that I would love to see in a black helmet is Antoine Winfield...

Next year is his contract year with the Vikings...he is a Pro Bowl starter this year, so he is still playing at a high level...he has some history with Tomlin and experience playing in a 3-4 defense...

He may have the opposite mindset of McFadden: "I got paid...now it's time to climb the mountain".

I can now definitely see the Steelers drawing the same type of talented, veteran free agents that were once the sole purview...guys who are willing to take less money to play for a true contender...

If B-Mac leaves, I might send a draft pick to the Vikings for Winfield as opposed to using a high draft pick on a corner...
winfield makes more than BMac is gonna make - he signed a HUGE contract with the Vikes.

I'm thinking mid-rounder at CB or a veteran FA... Ike's got one side. Between Deshea and Gay, we should have the other side (and the nickle) covered. Knowing Deshea's age, CB will be on the short list of things to draft if BMac can't be resigned....

Bandito
02-03-2009, 01:38 AM
Unless all the good ones are gone by the 32nd pick, I really think we still need to make RT/OG the first pick so we can improve our offense to open the running game and buy Ben time to better utilize the great weapons we have and control the time of possession even more. I wouldn't be against getting a DB in the first but just think improving the OL would improve the team more.

I also wish there were more NT available in the 1st 3 rounds. After Raji, I can't think of any other good ones worth in the 1st 3 rounds.

Hope Mike Mickens (DB) can last to our 3rd pick or a good Safety.

SteelerOfDeVille
02-03-2009, 01:53 AM
Unless all the good ones are gone by the 32nd pick, I really think we still need to make RT/OG the first pick so we can improve our offense to open the running game and buy Ben time to better utilize the great weapons we have and control the time of possession even more. I wouldn't be against getting a DB in the first but just think improving the OL would improve the team more.

I also wish there were more NT available in the 1st 3 rounds. After Raji, I can't think of any other good ones worth in the 1st 3 rounds.

i expect the pick to be a lineman... whether offensive or defensive... and i expect a bunch of them... 7 picks + supplemental(s)... i'm guessing 4-5 picks on either line... NT, DE, OG, OT, C are all likely to be taken if the right guys are there. I'd throw in FS, CB (if Bmac isn't resigned) and ILB as other potential draft positions....

O-line depends a lot on re-signings of all the OTs

Steeler Shades
02-03-2009, 08:38 AM
Tomlin thinks the OL now has great experience and depth...

He thinks they could get someone in the 2nd or 3rd round...
Link to what he's thinking? 8)

Oviedo
02-03-2009, 08:56 AM

Joe Burnett, Central Florida in Round 3.

Bandito
02-03-2009, 09:56 AM
If to get a KR/PR with the 3rd pick, I was hoping maybe get Brandon Tate. He's out till April with an ACL but he was making big plays before the injury. His coach thinks he can has the same potential as Michael Irvin and Reggie Wayne when their draft stock was hurt due to an injury leading up to the draft. Problem is he is projected in the 2d round and Joe Burnett is projected in the 5-6th round. Burnett was projected in the 3rd round a month ago in some boards. Not sure why he dropped so much.

12/23/08 - Pro teams are cautious with guaranteed money in the higher rounds but typically are more willing to take a chance in the fourth or fifth round. Lesser players would be knocked down to free-agent status by an injury such as Tate's. However, if he can convince scouts he has regained lateral movement – and if he shows flashes of the athleticism that set him apart – then he could shore up his draft prospects. Right now, Tate, who's 6-foot-1 and 195 pounds, is in the midst of strengthening the muscles around the knee and said he expects to be back to 100percent by March or April; he will graduate in May. In the meantime, North Carolina coach Butch Davis said, Tate is trying to hit certain timetables in rehab so NFL teams can judge his recuperation. “It's very critical to him how teams will perceive his draft eligibility as to whether 2009 is a viable, reasonable expectation that he can legitimately contribute to a team – maybe not as early as minicamps or training camp, but could he possibly start the season on (physically unable to perform list) and maybe play in the season,” said Davis, who previously coached in the NFL. “Or will he maybe be healthy enough to actually start the season on the regular roster? He's got a huge investment to make sure when he comes back second semester, he's working really, really hard.” Davis told Tate early on that two of the best receivers he has ever coached – Michael Irvin at the University of Miami and with the Dallas Cowboys, and Reggie Wayne, at Miami – suffered the same injury. They both went on to star in the NFL. - The Charlotte Observer

12/02/08 - 2008 ALL-ACC CONFERENCE HONORABLE MENTION (MEDIA): Brandon Tate, spec., North Carolina (33), has been selected All-ACC Conference Honorable Mention for the 2008 college football season by the Atlantic Coast Sports Media Association. Tate earned honorable-mention honors as a specialist. He was one of the most electrifying players in the country through the first six games of the season and was considered a leading contender for conference player of the year honors until he tore his ACL on a punt return vs. Notre Dame. A senior from Burlington, N.C., Tate finished his career as the NCAA leader in combined kick return yards and is the ACC's all-time leader in kickoff yards. He also set the school record with 397 all-purpose yards in the season opener vs. McNeese State. - North Carolina football

10/16/08 - North Carolina already has had to overcome the loss of its starting quarterback to injury. Now the Tar Heels (5-1, 1-1 ACC) must contend with the loss of another key big-play threat to a season-ending injury. But it likely will take more than one player to make up for the loss of Brandon Tate, who not only was the team's second-leading receiver but also was a major weapon on special teams. Tate was third in the ACC in kickoff returns (nearly a 28-yard average with a long of 56) and was averaging nearly 23 yards on seven punt returns with a long of 82 before going out with a knee injury early in the victory over Notre Dame. Davis was successful in finding a replacement when QB T.J. Yates went down with an ankle injury against Virginia Tech in the third game of the season. Junior Cam Sexton has picked up the slack at quarterback and has led the Tar Heels to three consecutive victories. Replacing Tate, however, could take two or three players because of the various roles he played. "We won't come to any final solution in the course of one week," said coach Butch Davis. No doubt, senior Brooks Foster will assume a bigger load at receiver with senior Cooter Arnold, who has been shifted to spots on both sides of the ball during his career, and junior Kenton Thornton also taking on more of the work at wideout.

10/16/08 - QUOTE TO NOTE: "The good news is that he will be back, and he will recover from this. I shared with him that two of the best receivers that I ever had the opportunity to be around as a coach both had equally significantly damaging injuries." -- coach Butch Davis, on the injury to WR Brandon Tate, referring to his experiences with former Miami stars Michael Irvin and Reggie Wayne.

10/15/08 - North Carolina receiver Brandon Tate had surgery on his right knee and is expected to make a full recovery. School officials said Wednesday that Dr. Tim Taft repaired the torn anterior cruciate and medial collateral ligaments in his knee. Tate, a senior, suffered a season-ending injury last week while returning a punt in the first quarter against Notre Dame. He finished his career with an NCAA-record 3,523 career combined kick-return yards. - AP Sports

Oviedo
02-03-2009, 10:04 AM
Joe Burnett fills a role as both a good CB and a returner: See below.

Dec. 10, 2008

ORLANDO, Fla. - UCF senior Joe Burnett (Eustis, Fla.) continued his unprecedented haul of annual Conference USA awards on Wednesday when he was named the league's Special Teams Player of the Year.

Yesterday, Burnett was named first-team All-C-USA as a defensive back, punt returner and kick returner, marking the first time that a player has been named to the first team at three different positions. This feat had never been accomplished anywhere in the nation prior to last week when Antonio Brown of Central Michigan was named first-team All-Mid American Conference as a wide receiver, punt returner and kickoff returner.

Burnett completes a career sweep of the first-team All-C-USA punt returner titles, winning the award for each of the past four years (2005-08). He also earned first-team recognition as a defensive back in 2005 and 2007, giving him a total of eight career first-team all-conference awards.

Burnett completed his extraordinary UCF career as the school's record holder in numerous major categories including career interceptions (16) and punt return yards (1,304). Burnett is the Conference USA career record holder for most punt return yards and ranks 19th in NCAA history in that category. He stands second in C-USA annals with his 16 career interceptions. He scored a total of five career special teams touchdowns including a UCF-record three on punt returns.

In 2008, Burnett was the only player in the nation to rank in the top 20 of both kickoff and punt returns. He led C-USA in both disciplines. He will likely become just the third player since 2000 to finish the season ranked in the top 100 nationally in all-purpose yardage despite not gaining any of those yards either rushing or receiving. This fall, Burnett, in his first season as a kickoff returner, ran two back for touchdowns, coming against in-state foes USF and Miami, both of which were ranked at various points this year.

As a note the last CB drafted in Round 4 from Central Florida was a guy named Asante Samuel. How'd that work out?

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
02-03-2009, 10:34 AM

We say this every year. How often do you actually see it happen?

Slapstick
02-03-2009, 10:56 AM
winfield makes more than BMac is gonna make - he signed a HUGE contract with the Vikes.

I disagree...Winfield signed what was, at the time, a huge contract...but, that was in 2004...

Steeler Shades
02-03-2009, 04:57 PM
I don't think we'd go after Asomugha, but after playing for a joke of a team in the Raiders, don't you think he might take a bit less to play for one of the most well-respected franchises in the league?? Still don't think there's any way he ends up here, but something to consider.We say this every year. How often do you actually see it happen?
I seem to remember one of these guys that went to NE and took less money. 8)

"The brotherhood that the Steelers have, their way of doing business, their way of playing football, spans decades. Their way of building teams that do not blink and players that do not shrink, well, there is nothing come-lately about it."
http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/story?id=0 ... nfirm=true (http://www.nfl.com/superbowl/story?id=09000d5d80e8844c&template=without-video&confirm=true)

Chemsteel
02-03-2009, 06:26 PM
Tally Stiller had mentioned Alphonso Smith. In my opinion, this insight is correct.

Remember that Coach Tomlin has a philosophy of having depth at the skill positions and talent determines victory.

We must also realize that Coach LeBeau values certain talents in his CB's. They must be able to work in a zone scheme, be able to blitz, but most of all his CB's must be very physical. Bryant McFadden is a Steeler type CB.

Alphoso Smith had a great Senior Bowl and if he interviews well at the Combine, don't be surprised if he is our choice at 32 if available.

I am still ahving difficulty reasoning the dilemna we are presently encountering at both the OL and DL. I know the Front Office feels that you take the Big Uglies late in the draft and "coach up". Sometimes they plug in gaps with second tier FA's.

Lebsteel
02-04-2009, 12:37 AM
Tally Stiller had mentioned Alphonso Smith. In my opinion, this insight is correct.

Remember that Coach Tomlin has a philosophy of having depth at the skill positions and talent determines victory.

We must also realize that Coach LeBeau values certain talents in his CB's. They must be able to work in a zone scheme, be able to blitz, but most of all his CB's must be very physical. Bryant McFadden is a Steeler type CB.

Alphoso Smith had a great Senior Bowl and if he interviews well at the Combine, don't be surprised if he is our choice at 32 if available.

I am still ahving difficulty reasoning the dilemna we are presently encountering at both the OL and DL. I know the Front Office feels that you take the Big Uglies late in the draft and "coach up". Sometimes they plug in gaps with second tier FA's.

Chem, I think we only go that way if Mack, Robinson, Jackson and maybe Britton are off the board. Smith looks like he has a lot of talent, but it seems our glaring need is OL and I can't see us passing up one of the top tier OL left.

frankthetank1
02-04-2009, 08:56 AM
why would the steelers draft a cb in the first? gay is just as good if not better than bmac so they should be fine. you would be drafting for depth in the secondary. unless there are no d-line or o-lineman worthy of going that high then maybe. d-line and o-line are bigger needs than the secondary. i think wr might even be a bigger need than the secondary.

Oviedo
02-04-2009, 09:12 AM

I'm not sure that Smith is the physical type of CB that the Steelers look for. He is definitely a playmaker, but at 5'9" he would not match up well against big receivers. I could see interest in bigger CBs like Darius Butler, Coye Francies and Victor Harris. Of course I'll continue to pimp Joe Burnett from Central Florida in the 3rd Round.

At #32 I think it is far more likely we see a pick from the following group depending on who is available:

Max Unger
Alex Mack
Duke Robinson
Tyson Jackson (likely long gone)
Eben Britton

Chemsteel
02-04-2009, 03:21 PM
Lebsteel wrote:

Chem, I think we only go that way if Mack, Robinson, Jackson and maybe Britton are off the board. Smith looks like he has a lot of talent, but it seems our glaring need is OL and I can't see us passing up one of the top tier OL left.

The Steelers are very interested in resigning McFadden but not in the monies Drew Rosenhaus is thinking. Remember guys that agents must go for the highest value contract for their clients according to NFLPA directives. The agents can be black listed by the NFLPA if they do not. We have Max and McFadden who are UFA's and played for a Super Bowl winner. One is a LT and one is a CB in a zone, 3-4 type system. They will be in high demand.

Also consider that Coach Tomlin beleives in winning with depth at the skill positions. Those positions are QB, WR, CB, RB and CB.

Much depends on the NFL Combine. My personal preference is we need more athleticism on the OL. The only guy to loose weight during the season was Hartwig. Couple that with the fact that some basics were missing from the OL performance (ie, block the inside shoulder first, down man second and finish your blocks) and the performance was marginal. Count the number of times Ben won on scrambles. His ability to find open receivers when scrambling in any direction is not a tendency. He is a "Franchise" QB.

If we put more talent (athleticism) on the OL and give Ben more targets at WR, this team could be very scary for the rest of the NFL because we have a Coach who does not rest on laurels. He knows that all thing change and other teams have a one month start on him for the 2009 season.

Sorry for all the writing, guys. I'll be brief now. The guy I liked at the Senior workouts was Keith Urbik. He had a great knee bend and mirrored very well. Most of the scouts had him at RG but I think he could play guard and LT or RT in the NFL. He has no artificial weight and great balance. There are many other talent for the OL but Urbik would be a very good choice in the second or third if he still goes under the radar.

Steeler Shades
02-04-2009, 03:36 PM
Lebsteel Also consider that Coach Tomlin beleives in winning with depth at the skill positions. Those positions are QB, WR, CB, RB and CB.
Seems as though the CB position is VERY highly rated. 8)

Oviedo
02-04-2009, 03:48 PM
Lebsteel wrote:

The Steelers are very interested in resigning McFadden but not in the monies Drew Rosenhaus is thinking. Remember guys that agents must go for the highest value contract for their clients according to NFLPA directives. The agents can be black listed by the NFLPA if they do not. We have Max and McFadden who are UFA's and played for a Super Bowl winner. One is a LT and one is a CB in a zone, 3-4 type system. They will be in high demand.

Also consider that Coach Tomlin beleives in winning with depth at the skill positions. Those positions are QB, WR, CB, RB and CB.

Much depends on the NFL Combine. My personal preference is we need more athleticism on the OL. The only guy to loose weight during the season was Hartwig. Couple that with the fact that some basics were missing from the OL performance (ie, block the inside shoulder first, down man second and finish your blocks) and the performance was marginal. Count the number of times Ben won on scrambles. His ability to find open receivers when scrambling in any direction is not a tendency. He is a "Franchise" QB.

If we put more talent (athleticism) on the OL and give Ben more targets at WR, this team could be very scary for the rest of the NFL because we have a Coach who does not rest on laurels. He knows that all thing change and other teams have a one month start on him for the 2009 season.

Sorry for all the writing, guys. I'll be brief now. The guy I liked at the Senior workouts was Keith Urbik. He had a great knee bend and mirrored very well. Most of the scouts had him at RG but I think he could play guard and LT or RT in the NFL. He has no artificial weight and great balance. There are many other talent for the OL but Urbik would be a very good choice in the second or third if he still goes under the radar.

KRAIG Urbik did well at the Senior Bowl. His positional flexibility makes him the type of player I could see our coaches targeting. He would be a solid pick in Round 2.

I agree that Tomlin will not rest on his laurels and be satisfied with what they just achieved. The last Cowher year should be a huge flashing red light about how a team can fail. I expect that Tomlin will shake this roster up and I expect to see at least 8-9 "new" faces on the 53 man roster. "New" could include players on the practice squad and coming back from IR plus 4-5 draft choices.

steelz09
02-05-2009, 01:40 PM
Maybe I'm a bit optimistic but I think the Steelers will make a serious effort to resign McFadden.

It's just a matter of what other teams are going to offer. I'm not that critical of Drew Rosenhaus. I think he can be a jerk about things but I think he gets a very bad "rap" because of his high-profile clients. He uses that "high profile" to get the player the money they think they deserve. Sometimes that means holding out or whatever else...

Rosenhaus is very good about using 'comps'. For example, this play did this, and he's getting paid this, so my client whom has similar stats should make this...Of course this is the simplistic approach but its the general idea.

I don't think McFadden has that much bargaining power to tell you the truth and I think Rosenhaus knows that. I think the Steelers will offer him "fair value". But as you know, its a matter if the PLAYER (not Rosenhhau) wants to accept the fair value that a SB team is offering or accept a better offer playing for a loser team. It will be interesting to see hoe this situations plays out.

Personally, I would like us to bring McFadden back. If we could lock him up, that would allow us to focus more exclusively on DL and OL which is what we want. In this league you see AT LEAST 3-4 good corners and we'll have Ike, McFadden, Gay, and Towsend... McFadden is a good #2, he's aggresive, and plays well against the run.

Lebsteel
02-05-2009, 01:54 PM
Maybe I'm a bit optimistic but I think the Steelers will make a serious effort to resign McFadden.

It's just a matter of what other teams are going to offer. I'm not that critical of Drew Rosenhaus. I think he can be a jerk about things but I think he gets a very bad "rap" because of his high-profile clients. He uses that "high profile" to get the player the money they think they deserve. Sometimes that means holding out or whatever else...

Rosenhaus is very good about using 'comps'. For example, this play did this, and he's getting paid this, so my client whom has similar stats should make this...Of course this is the simplistic approach but its the general idea.

I don't think McFadden has that much bargaining power to tell you the truth and I think Rosenhaus knows that. I think the Steelers will offer him "fair value". But as you know, its a matter if the PLAYER (not Rosenhhau) wants to accept the fair value that a SB team is offering or accept a better offer playing for a loser team. It will be interesting to see hoe this situations plays out.

Personally, I would like us to bring McFadden back. If we could lock him up, that would allow us to focus more exclusively on DL and OL which is what we want. In this league you see AT LEAST 3-4 good corners and we'll have Ike, McFadden, Gay, and Towsend... McFadden is a good #2, he's aggresive, and plays well against the run.

I agree that may be the most realistic scenario, but I do like the thought of picking up Gross as our LT. But, realistically, I seriously doubt that would happen. Next best would be to sign McFadden and then go OL and DL in at least 3 of the first 4 picks.

RuthlessBurgher
02-05-2009, 02:46 PM
Remember guys that agents must go for the highest value contract for their clients according to NFLPA directives. The agents can be black listed by the NFLPA if they do not.

It is ultimately up the player to decide where to sign, though, not the agent. McFadden could realize that a fair market deal to stay in Pittsburgh is worth more to him than getting a few million more dollars and be miserable in Oakland, Detroit, Cleveland, Cincinnatti, etc.