PDA

View Full Version : Harrison.....What am I missing??

Zigs
02-02-2009, 01:45 PM
http://i40.tinypic.com/whbja8.jpg

ok..I see Harrison giving an OPEN HANDED shot to him in the back and then letting him up and pushing him OPEN HANDED in the chest to the ground. I agree it was a little overkill and should have been considered unnecessary roughness because of the OPEN HANDED blow to the back, but give me a break. In my opinion the refs got it right. It was only unnecessary roughness and did not deserve an ejection.

Am I missing something here?

Steeler Mafia
02-02-2009, 03:23 PM
DON"T PI$$ OFF DEEBO!!!!

SteelerOfDeVille
02-02-2009, 03:25 PM

ok..I see Harrison giving an OPEN HANDED shot to him in the back and then letting him up and pushing him OPEN HANDED in the chest to the ground. I agree it was a little overkill and should have been considered unnecessary roughness because of the OPEN HANDED blow to the back, but give me a break. In my opinion the refs got it right. It was only unnecessary roughness and did not deserve an ejection.

Am I missing something here?
he was still on his knee and, therefore, "defenseless"... unnecessary roughness yes... you don't eject someone from the super bowl for THAT play...

Iron Shiek
02-02-2009, 03:32 PM
Yeah it "looked" dirty but it wasn't. People who don't know what they are looking at think he punched him. It looked violent but it was clean. I suppose the flag comes because the guy was on his knees...but that's sketchy...

feltdizz
02-02-2009, 04:25 PM
I see this happen all the time... a player falls and the guy either falls on him or just hovers over him... maybe it was payback for another play.. or the guy called him Silverback to his face...

something I bet the board would never do.... LOL!!!

feltdizz
02-02-2009, 04:36 PM
quick question.... was 47 the same guy who ran into Berger on the FG? If so.. then this explains everything.

NC Steeler Fan
02-02-2009, 05:01 PM
Man, while I still want to know what happened, it is TOTALLY
clear that #47 was scared of Harrison.

Smart not to retaliate, but obviously scared nonetheless...

VirgilBosett
02-02-2009, 05:47 PM
This was one of the dumbest plays of the entire game. it was a flagrant foul. Didn't deserve ejection, but it was clearly unnecessary roughness. It's clearly getting called 100 times out of 100.

I would put that right up there with Ike Taylor's penalty. STUPID. :HeadBanger

JMO.

Jigawatts
02-02-2009, 05:53 PM

I thought I saw this on the discovery channel once.

The predator attacks it's prey, as the helpless creature cowers in the fetal position.

James Harrison is higher on the food chain.

sd steel
02-02-2009, 06:33 PM
This was one of the dumbest plays of the entire game. it was a flagrant foul. Didn't deserve ejection, but it was clearly unnecessary roughness. It's clearly getting called 100 times out of 100.

JMO.

Believe or not, Harrison was just doing his job. It was a punt, and Harrison was keeping his man from getting down field to cover the punt. You see much more violence on the gunners when they try to release.

SteelerOfDeVille
02-02-2009, 06:37 PM

JMO.

Believe or not, Harrison was just doing his job. It was a punt, and Harrison was keeping his man from getting down field to cover the punt. You see much more violence on the gunners when they try to release.
hitting a guy who is on his knees isn't "just doing your job". it's a penalty... every single time.

sd steel
02-02-2009, 06:45 PM

JMO.

hitting a guy who is on his knees isn't "just doing your job". it's a penalty... every single time.

He should have laid on him, but there is no penalty in the rule book that says you can't block a guy who is on his knees.

Djfan
02-02-2009, 06:48 PM
It reminds me of my brother who is 7 years older than me. He used to beat the cheese out of me. He knew he could and enjoyed every bit of it.

VirgilBosett
02-02-2009, 06:59 PM

JMO.

Wrong. This is him committing a very stupid penalty. His job and others on punt coverage is to block his guy and anyone else he can get to......not beat on him.....hammer jack him, and then hit/shove him with a karate chop to the guys neck area.

"Beleive it or not" my a$$ :lol:

mshifko
02-02-2009, 07:26 PM
quick question.... was 47 the same guy who ran into Berger on the FG? If so.. then this explains everything.
no that was adrian wilson

Jom112
02-02-2009, 07:40 PM

47 is Aaron Francisco the DB that gets burnt all the time. The Cards really need to replace him...

Iron Shiek
02-02-2009, 08:16 PM

JMO.

Wrong. This is him committing a very stupid penalty. His job and others on punt coverage is to block his guy and anyone else he can get to......not beat on him.....hammer jack him, and then hit/shove him with a karate chop to the guys neck area.

The worst part after watching it again, it appears he looks up as if he's looking to see if one of the officials is watching...oops...

sd steel
02-02-2009, 09:06 PM

JMO.

No he was resposible for not letting his man get down field to cover the punt. He used his open hand, not a karate chop. The ref deemed it unnecessary roughness. But it wasn't as brutal as you are making it out to be.

ghettoscott
02-02-2009, 09:16 PM
I think this is the same guy that slipped on the Santonio coverage for 4th qtr gain and in the end zone...

rough day.

VirgilBosett
02-02-2009, 10:08 PM
[quote=VirgilBosett]This was one of the dumbest plays of the entire game. it was a flagrant foul. Didn't deserve ejection, but it was clearly unnecessary roughness. It's clearly getting called 100 times out of 100.

JMO.

No he was resposible for not letting his man get down field to cover the punt. He used his open hand, not a karate chop. The ref deemed it unnecessary roughness. But it wasn't as brutal as you are making it out to be.[/quote:17rgwk44]

Yeah..... :lol: Usually that's done with a good block. Even a pancake block, or a Hines Ward type hit is still a very legal hit. This was not for several reasons.

He pounded him on the back when he was on his knees, then he holds him down when the Card is on all fours........ and as soon as he tries to get up Harrison hits him in the throat area with what looks like an open handed blast. These methods are not in his "job" description at all.

As I stated earlier, he shouldn't be ejected, but it's an unecessary roughness penalty for sure.....without fail......a hundred times out of a hundred. :lol:

Chavezz
02-02-2009, 10:22 PM
Refs got it right. Non-issue.

Flasteel
02-02-2009, 10:28 PM
[quote=VirgilBosett]This was one of the dumbest plays of the entire game. it was a flagrant foul. Didn't deserve ejection, but it was clearly unnecessary roughness. It's clearly getting called 100 times out of 100.

JMO.

No he was resposible for not letting his man get down field to cover the punt. He used his open hand, not a karate chop. The ref deemed it unnecessary roughness. But it wasn't as brutal as you are making it out to be.

Yeah..... :lol: Usually that's done with a good block. Even a pancake block, or a Hines Ward type hit is still a very legal hit. This was not for several reasons.

He pounded him on the back when he was on his knees, then he holds him down when the Card is on all fours........ and as soon as he tries to get up Harrison hits him in the throat area with what looks like an open handed blast. These methods are not in his "job" description at all.

As I stated earlier, he shouldn't be ejected, but it's an unecessary roughness penalty for sure.....without fail......a hundred times out of a hundred. :lol:[/quote:3rsidbt5]

VB, I think you're taking this a little too far to make your point. Why don't you just start putting skirts on our linebackers? I agree with you that it should have been a penalty, but it wasn't stupid more than it was being over-aggressive. Those are penalties which are normally far more tolerated because they're not born of missed assignments and can also send a message.

This was classic Omega-dog training in progress by Harrison. Yeah he took it to far, but who knows if the guy did something to him (or someone else) on an earlier play, got the best of him with a block, or made a play. All I know is the message that was sent was one of sheer dominance and intimidation.

I want to know what he said. Maybe we should have a caption contest?

I'll go with something like:

"You better keep your ass down boy...I thought I told you to stay put muther fu@ker?!...Deebo SMASH...AARRRRGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!!!

steelz09
02-02-2009, 10:38 PM
I realize it was a different game back then but this was very Jack Lambert like.

What about when he threw the guy to the ground after that field goal. After the play. Same type of thing.

I just see this play and it all makes sense .. coming from James Harrison.

I agree that this should be a penalty but not an ejection.

NorCal-Steeler
02-02-2009, 10:49 PM
i read on some other site that the guy punched james in the sack... he got less then he deserved.

http://www.nowpublic.com/sports/james-h ... -criticism (http://www.nowpublic.com/sports/james-harrison-punch-draws-penalty-and-criticism)

VirgilBosett
02-02-2009, 11:13 PM
SD said he was just doing his job. I disagree.

He shouldn’t be ejected, but it’s a stupid penalty in any league...anywhere....anytime. That's not putting a skirt on anybody. I don't get where that statement comes from.

All I'm doing is calling it like it was........unecessary roughness.