PDA

View Full Version : Prevent D... why?

feltdizz
02-02-2009, 01:06 PM
Once again I bring up the conspiracy angle.

Does anyone think the NFL may have a prevent defense clause in prime time games? Something like... If it looks like it could be a blowout or a snore fest you must play some prevent D?

I almost feel like the prevent D is to prevent ratings from falling.

SidSmythe
02-02-2009, 01:10 PM
Huh?!?!?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
02-02-2009, 01:11 PM
I'm torn about this also. "The LeBeau Cushion" - it got us to the dance, so how can I complain? Then, it almost lost us the Lombardi, so how good is it?

I wonder if it was a blown assignment - Fitz 1-on-1 in the middle of the field doesn't sound like a matchup too many people would draw up ...

feltdizz
02-02-2009, 01:19 PM
Huh?!?!?

If you are winning 20 to 7 and have pretty much controlled the game on D... why do you switch to a prevent D when you were shutting them down all game?

feltdizz
02-02-2009, 01:22 PM
I'm torn about this also. "The LeBeau Cushion" - it got us to the dance, so how can I complain? Then, it almost lost us the Lombardi, so how good is it?

I wonder if it was a blown assignment - Fitz 1-on-1 in the middle of the field doesn't sound like a matchup too many people would draw up ...

When has prevent D ever worked with any team? It doesn't.

SteelerOfDeVille
02-02-2009, 01:26 PM
Huh?!?!?

If you are winning 20 to 7 and have pretty much controlled the game on D... why do you switch to a prevent D when you were shutting them down all game?
they were playing all kinds of defenses... they were bring pressure, then backing off. Looked like ike was manned up on Fitz's long TD (a step behind, then slipped). It was a big cushion, but, the prevent is generally a zone.

BURGH86STEEL
02-02-2009, 01:34 PM

That play you are talking about is one reason why Steelers like to play zone/cushion and not a lot press coverage. I am sure the Steelers are not the only team that feels this way. No teams have the corners to match up with WRs in man to man coverage on a consistent basis.

Ike Taylor was in press/man coverage on the play. He bumped Fitz but Fitz bumped back and got separation. This is one reason why Steelers do not run a lot of press coverage. If you lose at the press, it can turn into a big play. Classic example took place on the Fitz play.

feltdizz
02-02-2009, 01:38 PM
I here you Ville... but the prevent D is suspect.. everytime a team does it every announcer says... "why play prevent?"

feltdizz
02-02-2009, 01:39 PM

That play you are talking about is one reason why Steelers like to play zone/cushion and not a lot press coverage. I am sure the Steelers are not the only team that feels this way. No teams have the corners to match up with WRs in man to man coverage on a consistent basis.

Ike Taylor was in press/man coverage on the play. He bumped Fitz but Fitz bumped back and got separation. This is one reason why Steelers do not run a lot of press coverage. If you lose at the press, it can turn into a big play. Classic example took place on the Fitz play.

which made me wonder why we pressed?

I'm so happy we won cause with a loss it would have been so many why and what if's...

one of the best games I have ever seen

Steeler Shades
02-02-2009, 01:40 PM
This post should be referenced anytime someone ask why Ike plays 10 yards off of the line of scrimmage. The short answer is because he has to. 8)

feltdizz
02-02-2009, 01:47 PM
This post should be referenced anytime someone ask why Ike plays 10 yards off of the line of scrimmage. The short answer is because he has to. 8)

I know.. of all the times to press you press the best WR in a one possession game?

BURGH86STEEL
02-02-2009, 01:58 PM

which made me wonder why we pressed?

I'm so happy we won cause with a loss it would have been so many why and what if's...

one of the best games I have ever seen

Why did we press? I supposed they thought the rush would get there before Fitz or the other WR's came open. Maybe Harrison was late getting to the middle of the field? We can only speculate because we do not know the player's responsibilities.

The point is, people will always question the calls made by the coaches. Could be zone, man, press, or combination coverages. The bottom line is execution. Cards out executed the Steelers on that play.

When they play the cover 3 coverage with the DBs off, fans need to realize how hard it is to make some of the throws QBs make. The Steelers philosophy is to make them beat you. Do not give up anything easy. Make them make the tough throws over the LBs and in front of the DBs. It may look easy on TV but it is very difficult to do on the field.

BURGH86STEEL
02-02-2009, 02:03 PM

I am sure Ike can play press coverage. It is not what you are making it out to be. He was playing press against one of the best WRs and most gifted WRs in the league. It is very difficult for any CB to win press battles consistently. Teams with better CBs play their CBs off the line. Overall, today's WRs are better than today's CBs. The rules favor the WRs.

SteelerOfDeVille
02-02-2009, 02:04 PM
When they play the cover 3 coverage with the DBs off, fans need to realize how hard it is to make some of the throws QBs make. The Steelers philosophy is to make them beat you. Do not give up anything easy. Make them make the tough throws over the LBs and in front of the DBs. It may look easy on TV but it is very difficult to do on the field.
not that it matters, but, i believe the safeties were in deep halfs (cover2) on that play.

BURGH86STEEL
02-02-2009, 02:13 PM
not that it matters, but, i believe the safeties were in deep halfs (cover2) on that play.

Yeah it appeared they were in cover two on that play.

Just making a point to state why they run the cover 3 with the DBs off the WRs.

Steeler Shades
02-02-2009, 02:24 PM
Ike Taylor was in press/man coverage on the play. He bumped Fitz but Fitz bumped back and got separation. This is one reason why Steelers do not run a lot of press coverage. If you lose at the press, it can turn into a big play. Classic example took place on the Fitz play.This post should be referenced anytime someone ask why Ike plays 10 yards off of the line of scrimmage. The short answer is because he has to. 8)I am sure Ike can play press coverage.
Which Steeler games have you seen Ike successfully play press coverage?

It is not what you are making it out to be.
I simply quoted you about what happened when Ike did play "press" coverage. Perhaps I missed the games where he was successful with this type of coverage? 8)