PDA

View Full Version : Goal Line Offense

SuperSize
02-02-2009, 11:01 AM
The thing last night that frustrated me to no end was the Steelers play-calling inside the 5yd. line. Why can't they just hand the ball to Russell straight ahead with the fullback lead? Russell is almost guaranteed to get 1.5-2 yards, even if he does it on his own.

Time to quit getting cute, and just ram it in. One of next year's primary areas of improvement has to be short yardage situations. Pittsburgh left at least a half dozen TD's (and numerous 3rd & 4th down conversions) on the field this past year.

Pete

frankthetank1
02-02-2009, 11:03 AM
i think the play calling was a result of the steelers not being succesful in short yardage all season long. the o-line usually gets no push or pushed back. russell is a very good short yardage back, but he needs blocking

Iron Shiek
02-02-2009, 11:03 AM
Goal line offense?

Sucks. At least when they try to run.

Carry on. :tt2

Oviedo
02-02-2009, 11:11 AM
i think the play calling was a result of the steelers not being succesful in short yardage all season long. the o-line usually gets no push or pushed back. russell is a very good short yardage back, but he needs blocking

Our guards have been getting blown up all season long and allowing penetration into the backfield. Until we eliminate or fix Kemo or Stapleton goal line will remain a problem.

BURGH86STEEL
02-02-2009, 11:19 AM

Our guards have been getting blown up all season long and allowing penetration into the backfield. Until we eliminate or fix Kemo or Stapleton goal line will remain a problem.

The TEs need to do a better job too.

steeld95
02-02-2009, 11:20 AM
[

Yeah, Speath got beat pretty badly quite a few times

Iron Shiek
02-02-2009, 11:21 AM
[

He looked horrible blocking most of the game. He needs to bone up on that in the offseason.

SuperSize
02-02-2009, 11:25 AM
I agree that changes need to be made, however, the Steelers only success this year, and their only success last night, in short yardage has been handing the ball to Russell. He makes positive yardage almost every time he touches the ball. First & goal from the 5, hand to Russell. Second & goal from the 3, hand the ball to Russell. Third & goal from the 1/2 yard line, hand the ball to Russell...TD.

Can't be any simpler.

Pete

Oviedo
02-02-2009, 11:52 AM
[

He looked horrible blocking most of the game. He needs to bone up on that in the offseason.

He did look bad but he has the challenge of usually blocking in space. No excuse for Kemo and Stapleton getting blown up blocking "in a phone booth" the way they did. They are the weak link.

feltdizz
02-02-2009, 12:05 PM
Spaeth is the worst blocker I have ever seen.. he gets beat inside every running play at the GL.

I was so scared when Holmes was tackled at the 5. GL offense.. oh no!!!!!