PDA

View Full Version : Huh? Tomlin said he would've taken a safety anyway...

Iron Shiek
02-02-2009, 10:02 AM
In his morning presser on ESPNnews right now, Tomlin said he wasn't concerned by gettting a safety (other than that they converted the first down and it came back). But he said on 4th rather than punting they would've taken a safety because their punt rush team is really good.

What? Really? I don't buy that. He gotta be covering for Hartwig there...

BURGH86STEEL
02-02-2009, 10:07 AM
In his morning presser on ESPNnews right now, Tomlin said he wasn't concerned by gettting a safety (other than that they converted the first down and it came back). But he said on 4th rather than punting they would've taken a safety because their punt rush team is really good.

It might of been smart to take a safety on 4th down. Would you prefer a safety or a block for a TD? Berger has not been the most consistent punter in the league. Cards came after him once and almost got there.

I think the call on Hartwig was a questionable call. It looked more like the momentum of the bull rushed pulled both players down.

Steelgal
02-02-2009, 10:20 AM
To me that shows the little confidence he had in his punter. As much as I will love to get Mendy back next season, I'm looking forward to having Sepulveda back more. Who knew you'd value a punt so much :Steel

Iron Shiek
02-02-2009, 10:22 AM
After thinking about it for a while, I agree and think taking a safety would've been the right call. Berger sucks and Breaston probably gets 15 yards at minimum, putting them in fg range right from the jump anyway. So 2 is better than 3 or potentially more..

calmkiller
02-02-2009, 10:39 AM
You are on the goal line. It take 15 yards to punt, not 10. You are crowding you punter and O line. Its a no brainer, take the safety and free kick from the 25.

SuperSize
02-02-2009, 10:56 AM

It might of been smart to take a safety on 4th down. Would you prefer a safety or a block for a TD? Berger has not been the most consistent punter in the league. Cards came after him once and almost got there.

I think the call on Hartwig was a questionable call. It looked more like the momentum of the bull rushed pulled both players down.

It was definitely holding. Hartwig did what every O-lineman is taught from their first day...when you get beat on a bull rush, grab on and fall backward pulling the rusher with you. It is often successful, but he got his left hand outside the shoulder pads and the umpire could see it from his position. The key to successfully completing that play is to grab the jersey in tight so nobody can see your hands.

Pete

Captain Lemming
02-02-2009, 11:17 AM
I told everybody with me at the time that If we dont get the first down I wanted to get a safety.

I was afraid of a forced pick or a blocked punt.

Bummed that a first down got called back, but I said basically what Tomlin said myself.

Steeler Shades
02-02-2009, 01:47 PM
I don't buy that he would have gone for a safety anymore than when he said earlier in the season he would have gone for it on 4th and 1 on the goal line. 8)