PDA

View Full Version : The Safety

SteelCrazy
02-02-2009, 02:30 AM
That was not holding. Watch it again. Hartwig got bull rushed and the defenders momentum carried them both to the ground. However, with the refs view, I can see how it looked like a classic tackle hold.

Officiating was just terrible..........At least they were consistent ALL year.

frankthetank1
02-02-2009, 08:24 AM
i agree i was so pissed at that call. it was awful. the guy was falling down anyways. it was also a beautiful catch by holmes. if that terrible call wasnt called it wouldnt have been so close

MeetJoeGreene
02-02-2009, 09:19 AM
Even Deon Sanders (whom I can't stand) said it wasn't holding.

Chadman
02-02-2009, 09:43 AM
If Hartwig hadn't been called, Mewelde Moore should have.

If you get the chance to watch that play again- watch all the OL players individually.

Starks does a good job on Laboy, the interior falls apart- but watch Willie Colon. That dude has some lead in his butt- he never gets budged off the End Zone line. And Miller smashes his pass rusher.

SteelCrazy
02-02-2009, 10:47 PM
What's everyone else's opinion on this? I still say it was momentum that took them both down.

Mel Blount's G
02-02-2009, 10:52 PM
I didn't think it was an obvious hold but it wasn't a total phantom call either. Questionable. Quite a few questionable calls on both teams imo. Fvcking refs need to learn to be seen and not heard in games, especially the big ones.

I AM glad that they finally called the strangulation against Deebo that had been going on all year and nearly never called

SteelCrazy
02-02-2009, 10:58 PM
Amen to the Deebo holds.........I thought I was dreaming.

Blitz-en
02-03-2009, 12:01 AM
Technically, Hartwig had ahold of the players jersey when they fell to the ground. Here are the reasons it was a chicken **** call:

-Holding occurs on every play, that was a very mild one. Need I compare this hold to what Harrison and Woodley deal with every down?
-It was a 5 step drop and a quick release. No holding would have mattered, the ball was out before a defender could effect the pass. In other words, the hold didn't affect the play.
-It's the Super Bowl. You don't call a hold in the end zone and give a team 2 points unless it's a form tackle by the O-lineman.

This is what sucks about the NFL's horrible "gray area" rules. If you want to make holding illegal, THEN CALL THE DAMN THING and make people stop doing it every play. Don't call it whenever you feel like it. It gives the appearance that the refs are subtely controlling the flow of games. The NFL needs more clear rules, plain and simple.

SteelCrazy
02-03-2009, 12:08 AM
Technically, Hartwig had ahold of the players jersey when they fell to the ground. Here are the reasons it was a chicken bad word call:

-Holding occurs on every play, that was a very mild one. Need I compare this hold to what Harrison and Woodley deal with every down?
-It was a 5 step drop and a quick release. No holding would have mattered, the ball was out before a defender could effect the pass. In other words, the hold didn't affect the play.
-It's the Super Bowl. You don't call a hold in the end zone and give a team 2 points unless it's a form tackle by the O-lineman.

This is what sucks about the NFL's horrible "gray area" rules. If you want to make holding illegal, THEN CALL THE DAMN THING and make people stop doing it every play. Don't call it whenever you feel like it. It gives the appearance that the refs are subtely controlling the flow of games. The NFL needs more clear rules, plain and simple.

That last paragraph needs to be brought to the attention of officiating committee or whomever. Great post