PDA

View Full Version : Ben's Leadership: "Hey O line, who's laughing now?"

SanAntonioSteelerFan
02-02-2009, 01:24 AM
By force of will he kept that O line together mentally, and emotionally. They gave him everything they had.

Way to go, Ben.

Mister Pittsburgh
02-02-2009, 01:26 AM
I thought Chris Kemo sucked the big one tonight. Let him walk and move Stapleton to LG when Simmons comes back. Draft the top G in the draft.....or top C and have him play G for a while.

Steel Life
02-02-2009, 01:29 AM
I agree Mister...Kemo did not have a good game. There were a number of plays down close that for a guy of his size & strength he did not get the job done - something to consider this off-season...Alex Mack at LG anyone?

SteelerOfDeVille
02-02-2009, 01:32 AM
I thought Chris Kemo sucked the big one tonight. Let him walk and move Stapleton to LG when Simmons comes back. Draft the top G in the draft.....or top C and have him play G for a while.
ditto... he struggled, held, lost his composure...

northgate1980
02-02-2009, 01:43 AM
Before this game I was a Ben hater, I am a Ben hater no more. Great job, you did what you needed to do in this game.

Djfan
02-02-2009, 01:46 AM
Before this game I was a Ben hater, I am a Ben hater no more. Great job, you did what you needed to do in this game.

Way to man up North. It takes a man to move his opinions based on convictions. My hat's off to you.

I almost moved on Bruce A, but he lost me in the second half. I really wanted to, but can't.

Mister Pittsburgh
02-02-2009, 01:47 AM
We gotta retool the offensive line. Imagine what Ben could do with a line that didn't break down 1 second after the snap.

LT - Jordan Gross
LG - Alex Mack
C - Hartwig
RG - Stapleton/Simmons
RT - Colon

I don't think Kemo is worth keeping unless he is a backup. Let him go via free agency. Marvel is too undependable now and too injury prone. I don't think Starks will say here. He is gone. So take the 14 from what you paid Starks & Marvel and sign Gross for 10 a year. Who wouldn't want to come here with a SB win and a shot to repeat. Draft Mack and put him at LG. Hartwig had a very solid season. I even think the holding call in teh SB was BS. I think he was tripping and the guy rushing in fell on top of him pretty much.

I would resign Essex as he is a solid backup at both OT and OG.

Chadman
02-02-2009, 01:49 AM
Chadman would move Colon inside to RG, Simmons to LG & have Stapleton the top back-up.

Draft or sign your starting RT & re-sign Max to play LT.

Let Kemo walk.

Colon's strength is at the point of attack- if he gets his hands on the defender, he keeps them blocked. If the defender gets to the outside of him, Colon doesn't have the feet to keep with them. So moving him inside will help mask his biggest weakness.

Never thought we'd miss Kendall Simmons as much as we did in the running game.

frankthetank1
02-02-2009, 08:39 AM
i agree kemo should be gone. maybe colon too even though he played a good game. ben is freakin clutch. the guy is a born winner and he is an elite qb and no one can dispute that. he is one of the most winning qb in his first 5 years

Oviedo
02-02-2009, 09:03 AM
Chadman would move Colon inside to RG, Simmons to LG & have Stapleton the top back-up.

Let Kemo walk.

Colon's strength is at the point of attack- if he gets his hands on the defender, he keeps them blocked. If the defender gets to the outside of him, Colon doesn't have the feet to keep with them. So moving him inside will help mask his biggest weakness.

I agree that Stapleton and Kemo are the weak links on the OL. Both needs to be replaced. I have long advocated moving Colon inside. I also agree that Starks has earned his next contract.

MeetJoeGreene
02-02-2009, 09:07 AM
Stapleton go beat badly a couple of times. And so did Spaeth on the one running play near the goal line.

Steeler Shades
02-02-2009, 09:14 AM
Dulac was not impressed with the O-Line. 8)

Offensive line: F

The Steelers rushed for only 2 yards in the second half when they needed ball control. Roethlisberger was not sacked in the first half, but a Chris Kemoeatu holding penalty wiped out a 20-yard pass. That wasn't as costly as Justin Hartwig's hold in the end zone for safety, wiping out a third-down conversion. Darnell Stapleton got beat for two sacks by Darnell Dockett in the fourth.
http://www.pittsburghpostgazette.com/pg ... 366-66.stm (http://www.pittsburghpostgazette.com/pg/09033/946366-66.stm)

frankthetank1
02-02-2009, 09:20 AM

Let Kemo walk.

I agree that Stapleton and Kemo are the weak links on the OL. Both needs to be replaced. I have long advocated moving Colon inside. I also agree that Starks has earned his next contract.

i dont know, i thought stapleton had a very good year except for last night. he was an upgrade over simmons. for a 2nd year guy he definetly has potential. i hope colon can play inside better than he can at RT

Oviedo
02-02-2009, 09:21 AM
Dulac was not impressed with the O-Line. 8)

Offensive line: F

The Steelers rushed for only 2 yards in the second half when they needed ball control. Roethlisberger was not sacked in the first half, but a Chris Kemoeatu holding penalty wiped out a 20-yard pass. That wasn't as costly as Justin Hartwig's hold in the end zone for safety, wiping out a third-down conversion. Darnell Stapleton got beat for two sacks by Darnell Dockett in the fourth.
http://www.pittsburghpostgazette.com/pg ... 366-66.stm (http://www.pittsburghpostgazette.com/pg/09033/946366-66.stm)

I really question the hold on Hartwig. That was a BS call. The DL tripped over him and if he had his hands on the DL it was inside the frame of the player. If that is holding than there could have been 10-15 more holding calls against the Cards OL gainst Woodley and Harrison.

Stapleton and Kemo did get beaten like drums.

calmkiller
02-02-2009, 10:49 AM
I am laughing right now because I hope/doubt most of these guys will have a job with the Steelers this time next year. Starks is horrible, I am so tired of seeing the DE in the backfield before Starks get out of his stance. Kemo is a waste of space and Colon can't play Tackle to save his life. Maybe he can play guard better. I say we put Colon at LG, Stapelton at RG, Hartwig C, and a combination of signing and drafting Tackles for next season. Cut Simmons, Maybe sign Marvel Smith if he comes cheaper than normal with the back injury.

frankthetank1
02-02-2009, 10:55 AM
I am laughing right now because I hope/doubt most of these guys will have a job with the Steelers this time next year. Starks is horrible, I am so tired of seeing the DE in the backfield before Starks get out of his stance. Kemo is a waste of space and Colon can't play Tackle to save his life. Maybe he can play guard better. I say we put Colon at LG, Stapelton at RG, Hartwig C, and a combination of signing and drafting Tackles for next season. Cut Simmons, Maybe sign Marvel Smith if he comes cheaper than normal with the back injury.

i dont see how they keep marvel smith next season. the guy cant make it through one season with his back problems. i think starks should stay. imo he has done a pretty good job. he is much better than colon, not like that is anything to write home about

Iron Shiek
02-02-2009, 10:55 AM

Way to man up North. It takes a man to move his opinions based on convictions. My hat's off to you.

I almost moved on Bruce A, but he lost me in the second half. I really wanted to, but can't.

In the first half I was ready to change my name to Bruce Arians. THen, he reared his ugly head so I stuck with my current name,

SanAntonioSteelerFan
02-02-2009, 12:08 PM
I do think it's worth noting that this 23 yo guy figured out the PERFECT management style for a bunch of untalented guys ... he basically hypnotized them with praise and love into performing WAY over their heads ... and now they have hardware.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Oviedo
02-02-2009, 12:29 PM

Stapleton needs to be a back up. He got blown up so many times last night I'm surprised he doesn't look like a rock quarry.

Both Stapleton and Kemo need to go.

To disagree with you Starks has been credible at LT. The pass rush from that side is not the problem and that is usually the best pass rusher on the other team.

pfelix73
02-02-2009, 12:32 PM
As reported in Pittsburgh, it is possible that we re-sign Smith for next year. He will be cheaper than Starks.

Drafting a tackle will depend on what the staff thinks of Hills. I'd like to think he will be er in 2009 and can push Colon at RT.

I doubt Colon will move inside to G as they see him as a OT. Stapleton is not up to snuff to play OG. As Chadman said, he'd make for a good backup at G/C. I still disagree with Chadman on Colon moving to G.

Hartwig and Simmons are pretty much locks at C and RG unless they would move Simmons to LG if Kemo goes elsewhere.

Essex will be in the mix too... Perhaps at LG if Simmons stays at RG.

A young OG from this year's draft could back up the starters. No way a rook makes it to start next year along the OL.. IMO. Not where we're picking.

Oviedo
02-02-2009, 12:43 PM
As reported in Pittsburgh, it is possible that we re-sign Smith for next year. He will be cheaper than Starks.

Drafting a tackle will depend on what the staff thinks of Hills. I'd like to think he will be er in 2009 and can push Colon at RT.

I doubt Colon will move inside to G as they see him as a OT. Stapleton is not up to snuff to play OG. As Chadman said, he'd make for a good backup at G/C. I still disagree with Chadman on Colon moving to G.

Hartwig and Simmons are pretty much locks at C and RG unless they would move Simmons to LG if Kemo goes elsewhere.

Essex will be in the mix too... Perhaps at LG if Simmons stays at RG.

A young OG from this year's draft could back up the starters. No way a rook makes it to start next year along the OL.. IMO. Not where we're picking.

I agree that they will not be looking to put a rookie on the OL as a starter. The only one I would see as a possible would be if they let Kemo go and draft Duke Robinson in Round 1.

Hills is the key because if he can step in and do a credible job at RT it will open lots of options. If he can do at least as good as Starks at LT then all the stars have aligned and we are clearly God's team.

I don't think there is anyway they go with Marvel Smith as their primary solution at LT. Way too much risk. They may sign him for the vet minimum and hope he is healthy because he can step in at LT or RT but no way I see them leaving LT as a hope and prayer.

That means resign Starks or go big for a Jordan Gross, Khalif Barnes or Vernon Carey in free agency.

NorthCoast
02-02-2009, 06:43 PM
Agree with the crowd here. Kemo has no footwork AND HE PLAYS GUARD, where you don't need the great footwork. He just does not sustain his blocks longer than a half second. Spaeth blew a couple of blocks as well but we need him as insurance in case Miller gets hurt so I don't see cutting him. Kemo can be kept as a backup only, he does not deserve starter pay.

Starlifter
02-02-2009, 07:03 PM
Ben gives the O-line props because it's difficult to maintain blocks for such long periods while he's scrambling around. Ok - fair enough. My critique of the O-line is that we had 1st and goal within the 5 yard line 3 times and we came away with 6 FREAKING POINTS!!!!!!!

where was the running game in the second half?
did they impose their will on the cards?
Hartwig wasn't holding in the end zone. he frigging got bull-rushed and was hanging on for dear life to cushion the fall.

Our O-line is below average. Ben won that game in spite of them. I'm glad he's on their side and props them up, but the front office has to realize we have a lot of work to do.........

TallyStiller
02-02-2009, 08:06 PM
Ben is the anti - Peyton. And I mean that in the best possible sense.

Ben after this Super Bowl... "hey O line - who's laughing now? Let me get this (the Lombardi) down there so they can touch it, too"

Peyton after the '05 playoff defeat "we definitely had some protection issues"...

Ben signs the 8 year deal, structured to be reasonable for a top tier QB, but $30 mil less than Michael freaking Vick...

Peyton gets a $34 mil signing bonus that has been killing the franchise's cap ever since, leaving Tony Dungy to perform miracles with 5th round picks and scrubs making $400k at 8 positions on defense...

One of these men has 2 rings because he sets a tone for a TEAM...

the other has his one, along with playoff flame out after playoff flame out... and now the coach who built a team out of nothing around him is gone.

Big Ben. The best player on the best team in football. Period. He's got the intangibles, and we got ourselves a champion. :Cheers

Slapstick
02-02-2009, 11:50 PM
Out of all of the offensive linemen, I was the least pissed at Starks last night...

He actually played far better than I anticipated him playing once Marvel was out of the picture...

You can dump on Max Starks, but he has started at OT on two different Super Bowl teams and has two rings to show for it...the dude must be doing something right...

With the benefit of hindsight, one might say that using the transition tag on him was the best free agency move that the Steelers could have made...