PDA

View Full Version : Arians??

NorCal-Steeler
02-01-2009, 01:50 PM
If Arians some how paints his master peice and calls a great game do you give him a pass on next season?
I'd say yes and see how he does with some new linemen, but anything short of a Super Bowl win i'd pin the loss on him and ship him to cleveland.

Steeler Shades
02-01-2009, 01:52 PM
No. He needs to be gone. We can do better. 8)

Oviedo
02-01-2009, 02:41 PM
We could score 70 points and the Arians haters would think it happened by accident. No OC will ever do enough for the fans. If Arians leaves half the posters will hate the next OC by the middle of next season. It's just the Steelers way.

BURGH86STEEL
02-01-2009, 02:49 PM
We could score 70 points and the Arians haters would think it happened by accident. No OC will ever do enough for the fans. If Arians leaves half the posters will hate the next OC by the middle of next season. It's just the Steelers way.

I agree. People hated the play calling under Cowher. They will hate the play calling under the next guy. I do not think Arians is going anywhere.

Flasteel
02-01-2009, 03:10 PM

I agree. People hated the play calling under Cowher. They will hate the play calling under the next guy. I do not think Arians is going anywhere.

Real shocking opinions coming from you two. :lol:

IF that were to occur, as much as I hate Bruce Arians and have been one of his most vocal critics (at least here), I agree that it then becomes a nearly impossible decision to make. I personally place a high value on continuity and this happening might finally convince me that Hell does occasionally freeze over or that monkeys can actually fly out of my ass.

If however we lose this game due to poor offensive performance or maybe even if we just suck it up and our defense bails us out, there will be a deafening scream from the Steeler Nation for his head.

I also disagree with Big-O's assertion that no OC will ever be good enough for the masses. I've only had problems with Joe Walton, Ray Sherman, and Kevin Gilbride. I've loved Ron Erhardt, Chan Gailey, Mularkey, and Whiz. I think there may have been some temporary discord with people's personal feelings on "trick plays", too much running, or getting away from the run (with Maddox or 2006). But overall, I think there are many of us (if not most) who feel the same as I do.

I recognize a pile of crap when I see it but who knows, maybe the smell I detect eminating from Bruce Arians is something else. I just doubt it.

AngryAsian
02-01-2009, 03:18 PM
I also disagree with Big-O's assertion that no OC will ever be good enough for the masses. I've only had problems with Joe Walton, Ray Sherman, and Kevin Gilbride. I've loved Ron Erhardt, Chan Gailey, Mularkey, and Whiz. I think there may have been some temporary discord with people's personal feelings on "trick plays", too much running, or getting away from the run (with Maddox or 2006). But overall, I think there are many of us (if not most) who feel the same as I do.

I recognize a pile of crap when I see it but who knows, maybe the smell I detect eminating from Bruce Arians is something else. I just doubt it.

The difference with these bums and the bum we currently have is that they didn't have the talent we have currently on our offense. Not to mention an elite QB manning the ropes. Trust me, all of you Arians lovers... if we didn't have Ben, we wouldn't be having these conversations. We wouldn't be in the SB and the plays that have been called that got us here would be in the toilet. We win in spite of our OC, not because of him.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
02-01-2009, 03:28 PM
The problem I have with the play calling is that it is taking years off Ben's career. Win (or otherwise) doesn't change that.

Steeler Shades
02-01-2009, 03:33 PM
I recognize a pile of crap when I see it but who knows, maybe the smell I detect eminating from Bruce Arians is something else. I just doubt it.The difference with these bums and the bum we currently have is that they didn't have the talent we have currently on our offense. Not to mention an elite QB manning the ropes. Trust me, all of you Arians lovers... if we didn't have Ben, we wouldn't be having these conversations. We wouldn't be in the SB and the plays that have been called that got us here would be in the toilet. We win in spite of our OC, not because of him.
:Clap :Bow :Clap
8)

BURGH86STEEL
02-01-2009, 03:40 PM

IF that were to occur, as much as I hate Bruce Arians and have been one of his most vocal critics (at least here), I agree that it then becomes a nearly impossible decision to make. I personally place a high value on continuity and this happening might finally convince me that Hell does occasionally freeze over or that monkeys can actually fly out of my ass.

If however we lose this game due to poor offensive performance or maybe even if we just suck it up and our defense bails us out, there will be a deafening scream from the Steeler Nation for his head.

Dude, people have questioned the play calling under every OC the Steelers had. I've read some not so thoughtful reasons as to why Arians should be gone. Come to think about it, people just blurt out any reason why he should be fired. Arians deserves some of the credit for this team making it too the SB.

Steeler Shades
02-01-2009, 04:07 PM
We could score 70 points and the Arians haters would think it happened by accident.
No, I would think our Defense & Special Teams must have scored 42 points.

No OC will ever do enough for the fans.
Not true. Any OC that comes in here and has one of the top rated offenses year in and year out (similar to what LeBeau has done with the defense) will be good enough for most of us. Actually, I'd be happy with an OC that can keep our offense in the top 50% in the league.

If Arians leaves half the posters will hate the next OC by the middle of next season.
If you are suggesting that it is possible to hire a worse OC than Airens, then I have to agree with you. Fortunately it is also possible to do much better than him

It's just the Steelers way.
Again, you are correct. It is the Steeler way not to accept mediocrity and to hope for improvement form an area of the team that is under performing. 8)

Flasteel
02-01-2009, 04:18 PM

Dude, people have questioned the play calling under every OC the Steelers had. I've read some not so thoughtful reasons as to why Arians should be gone. Come to think about it, people just blurt out any reason why he should be fired. Arians deserves some of the credit for this team making it too the SB.

I've put forth some very intelligent evidence in support of my argument for both you and Oviedo (or anyone else who read it). It is based on my knowledge of the game as a life-long fan and as a coach. I'm not claiming some superior intellect over the average fan, but I can tell you that the points I make are sound and completely valid.

I recognize and have agreed with some of the few things that I see which are positive from BA. There is no doubt they have helped to contribute in a very meager way to the very meager success we have enjoyed offensively.

However, the mind-numbingly horrible aspects of his performance cast a huge shadow of **** over those positives.

I already agreed that some people can and will always find fault with the OC no matter who he is...you can't please everyone. But there are a lot more people who are intelligent enough to see when there is a valid reason for criticism and don't hate on every coach indiscriminately.

Go ahead and take a poll. See how many posters have disliked each offensive coordinator beginning with Walton. I realize that not everyone will be completely honest and may choose to forget some of the complaints they voiced while here, but you will get an idea of just how wrong you and Oviedo are about this.

A significant percentage of Steeler fans don't like this guy and many of us are rabid about it. Where there is smoke, there is fire, and Arians' head looks like a friggin' chimney stack to me.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
02-01-2009, 04:39 PM

I've put forth some very intelligent evidence in support of my argument for both you and Oviedo (or anyone else who read it). It is based on my knowledge of the game as a life-long fan and as a coach. I'm not claiming some superior intellect over the average fan, but I can tell you that the points I make are sound and completely valid.

I recognize and have agreed with some of the few things that I see which are positive from BA. There is no doubt they have helped to contribute in a very meager way to the very meager success we have enjoyed offensively.

However, the mind-numbingly horrible aspects of his performance cast a huge shadow of **** over those positives.

I already agreed that some people can and will always find fault with the OC no matter who he is...you can't please everyone. But there are a lot more people who are intelligent enough to see when there is a valid reason for criticism and don't hate on every coach indiscriminately.

Go ahead and take a poll. See how many posters have disliked each offensive coordinator beginning with Walton. I realize that not everyone will be completely honest and may choose to forget some of the complaints they voiced while here, but you will get an idea of just how wrong you and Oviedo are about this.

A significant percentage of Steeler fans don't like this guy and many of us are rabid about it. Where there is smoke, there is fire, and Arians' head looks like a friggin' chimney stack to me.

Photoshop op!

BURGH86STEEL
02-01-2009, 05:09 PM

Oviedo and I must be on to something if Arians is still the OC the team. If he is still here after the season, I guess we were correct. He has been around the league for awhile so he must be doing something right. There is just as much evidence to support that Arians has done a good job. This offense will be better if the Oline is upgraded and the players stop making mistakes and execute better. Ben and others can improve areas of their games to help the offense improve.

The problem with people is they think they understand why plays are called. No fan knows. No one knows what plays Ben changes and so on. People do not like the guy because he was the Browns OC at one point. Where is the logic in that? Take everything into account and this offense has had success under him. That is the bottom line. How many points did the offense score last post season? How many points is the offense averaging this post season?

Steelgal
02-01-2009, 05:19 PM
Even if we win the Superbowl, either the O-line coach or Arians needs to go. Ben is being sacked way too much (yes, he does hold it too long at times), but it's still inexcuseable. Either Zeirlein needs to adjust his blocking schemes or Arians needs to change some playcalling AND use a full-back again. All of the blame can't be put on Ben and so someone else needs to be accountable and get fired.

msp26505
02-01-2009, 05:20 PM
One of the most important characteristics of a good coach or coordinator is the ability to adapt scheme to fit the talents and abilities of the players on the roster.

Bruce Arians has shown an inability or unwillingness to do this.

He doesn't believe in the fullback and he shows no creativity in terms of play selection or disguising plays. Probably not coincidentally, his offenses are consistently ranked in the mid-20's.

Like Asian said, the Steelers are here in spite of him, not because of him.

Because I am sure he is too arrogant to admit fault and change his ways, I hope he is gone after the season regardless of the outcome of today's game.

Flasteel
02-01-2009, 05:23 PM
Oviedo and I must be on to something if Arians is still the OC the team. If he is still here after the season, I guess we were correct.

You're not onto a whole lot other than you don't fire a guy during the season...most of us agree with that. Whether he gets fired in the offseason or not is a different question. I agree that if we win it will be tough to fire him, especially if he calls a good game tonight.

He has been around the league for awhile so he must be doing something right. There is just as much evidence to support that Arians has done a good job.

No it doesn't and no there isn't.

This offense will be better if the Oline is upgraded and the players stop making mistakes and execute better. Ben and others can improve areas of their games to help the offense improve.

I completely agree. That doesn't mitigate the problems with Bruce Arians one bit.

The problem with people is they think they understand why plays are called. No fan knows. No one knows what plays Ben changes and so on. People do not like the guy because he was the Browns OC at one point. Where is the logic in that? Take everything into account and this offense has had success under him. That is the bottom line. How many points did the offense score last post season? How many points is the offense averaging this post season?

Being the Brown's coach has no bearing on anything other than further evidence that this he is who he is and he isn't going to change a whole lot. It has very little to do with what plays Ben has decided to audible out of and more to do with the overall play-calling philosophy, tendencies, game plans, and failures to adjust to pressure. There is a mountain of logic to hang him.

Steeler Shades
02-01-2009, 07:16 PM
Oviedo and I must be on to something if Arians is still the OC the team. If he is still here after the season, I guess we were correct. He has been around the league for awhile so he must be doing something right.
The litmus test is how much demand there is for Airens services. After Cowher left there was how many teams lined up to offer him an OC or HC job? And now after a SB winning season I'm sure the NFL will show their appreciation for his abilities by entering into a bidding war for his services. Of course if NOBODY wants him maybe it is because he isn't worth hiring and you and Oviedo are definitely "on" something. 8)

AngryAsian
02-01-2009, 08:09 PM
Oviedo and I must be on to something if Arians is still the OC the team. If he is still here after the season, I guess we were correct. He has been around the league for awhile so he must be doing something right.
The litmus test is how much demand there is for Airens services. After Cowher left there was how many teams lined up to offer him an OC or HC job? And now after a SB winning season I'm sure the NFL will show their appreciation for his abilities by entering into a bidding war for his services. Of course if NOBODY wants him maybe it is because he isn't worth hiring and you and Oviedo are definitely "on" something. 8)

$$$$ Vintage SS. :lol:

SanAntonioSteelerFan
02-01-2009, 11:33 PM

What head coaching jobs would be available?

Although my heart tells me we could do better, or more to the point, Ben's career would be longer with someone else, my head tells me it's probably kind of stupid to call for firing the Superbowl winning OC.

AngryAsian
02-01-2009, 11:34 PM
I wish Arians luck in all his interviews this upcoming week. :x

Chadman
02-01-2009, 11:40 PM
Arians had the pefect playcalling in the first half- used his players well, used them effectively.

Things broke down a bit as the game broke down- mainly due to poor blocking from the interior line.

Defense DID NOT WIN THIS SB- The offense did.

You want to fire him after this??

No- give him some better short yardage runners (Mendenhall), a blocking fullback & some interior line blocking.

AngryAsian
02-01-2009, 11:43 PM
Arians had the pefect playcalling in the first half- used his players well, used them effectively.

Things broke down a bit as the game broke down- mainly due to poor blocking from the interior line.

Defense DID NOT WIN THIS SB- The offense did.

You want to fire him after this??

No- give him some better short yardage runners (Mendenhall), a blocking fullback & some interior line blocking.

He's not going to lose his job. I know that, you don't win a championship on the merits of your offense and then fire you OC. Let's see what he does with improvements to the line and a healthy Mendy in the fold. I concur that our much maligned OC (definitely a healthy portion from me) called a good game in the first half but things started falling apart in the second. The difference maker in this game was Ben. He willed this team to a victory, and though Santonio got the MVP honors, Ben won this game for us.

MaxAMillion
02-01-2009, 11:43 PM
Some of this is absurd. I am not an Arians fan, but he was not the problem at all tonight. He had to call another game with a porous OL who can't run or pass block consistently. Plus Ben was without an effective Hines Ward which hurts the offense. The play of the OL was a bigger problem than Arians.

Hell, the team just won its 6th Super Bowl. Why on earth is Arians the issue tonight?

AngryAsian
02-01-2009, 11:46 PM
Some of this is absurd. I am not an Arians fan, but he was not the problem at all tonight. He had to call another game with a porous OL who can't run or pass block consistently. Plus Ben was without an effective Hines Ward which hurts the offense. The play of the OL was a bigger problem than Arians.

Hell, the team just won its 6th Super Bowl. Why on earth is Arians the issue tonight?

He's not the issue tonight, this thread was started a few days back... and Arians has been a heated subject topic on this board.

Iron Shiek
02-01-2009, 11:47 PM
Gotta agree with many of you. As much as i hate the guy, he isn't going anywhere. Especially with the first half game plan. It was impeccable. THey used all the weapons. Mixed up some quick screens and quick slants and just had the ball going everywhere. I don't see him going anywhere. Like Chadman said, get some guys healthy and a freaking FULLBACK and we might be less anemic on offense than we were in the regular season. But Ben and Santonio bailed us out big time. Legendary.

steeler_george
02-02-2009, 12:01 AM
Gotta agree with many of you. As much as i hate the guy, he isn't going anywhere. Especially with the first half game plan. It was impeccable. THey used all the weapons. Mixed up some quick screens and quick slants and just had the ball going everywhere. I don't see him going anywhere. Like Chadman said, get some guys healthy and a freaking FULLBACK and we might be less anemic on offense than we were in the regular season. But Ben and Santonio bailed us out big time. Legendary.
:Agree

But some of his calls are bone headed, second last drive 4 min to go, parker gets good yardage. 2nd down empty back field....why? eat the clock, keep feeding parker, why go empty it telegraphs we are passing...result ben sacked and end up kicking.

Goal line were we got called for safety, why force parker up the middle when we are weak there? Should of looked for quick slant to miller, ward, or holmes.

In the red zone where we set up a screen for Davis...he has done jack all year, why not put moore in backfield, that i can respect. it was a tipped almost interception...but bad.

Those 3 drives almost killed us.

thank God we have Ben and he saved the day along with Holmes. ok props to the d too

Iron Shiek
02-02-2009, 12:03 AM
[quote="Iron Shiek":38vsn8jg]Gotta agree with many of you. As much as i hate the guy, he isn't going anywhere. Especially with the first half game plan. It was impeccable. THey used all the weapons. Mixed up some quick screens and quick slants and just had the ball going everywhere. I don't see him going anywhere. Like Chadman said, get some guys healthy and a freaking FULLBACK and we might be less anemic on offense than we were in the regular season. But Ben and Santonio bailed us out big time. Legendary.
:Agree

But some of his calls are bone headed, second last drive 4 min to go, parker gets good yardage. 2nd down empty back field....why? eat the clock, keep feeding parker, why go empty it telegraphs we are passing...result ben sacked and end up kicking.

Goal line were we got called for safety, why force parker up the middle when we are weak there? Should of looked for quick slant to miller, ward, or holmes.

In the red zone where we set up a screen for Davis...he has done jack all year, why not put moore in backfield, that i can respect. it was a tipped almost interception...but bad.

thank God we have Ben and he saved the day along with Holmes. ok props to the d too[/quote:38vsn8jg]

Same $hit, different game for Arians. I hate it too. Can't argue with the results though. But I'm sick of it and wish he would leave somehow. But who would step in for him at this point?

Steel Life
02-02-2009, 12:24 AM
Good thing Ben handles most of the play-calling in the final 2 minutes, right Asian? :tt2

Chadman
02-02-2009, 12:27 AM
If the Steelers could convert 3rd & short with some power running, they'd be adding 10+ points to their score every week.

Would you still complain if the Steelers were scoring an extra 10 points a game?

Get Arians Mendy back, good run blocking in the interior of the OL & a fullback.

If he can't make THAT work- then Chadman will join you in protest.

BURGH86STEEL
02-02-2009, 12:53 AM
If the Steelers could convert 3rd & short with some power running, they'd be adding 10+ points to their score every week.

Would you still complain if the Steelers were scoring an extra 10 points a game?

Get Arians Mendy back, good run blocking in the interior of the OL & a fullback.

If he can't make THAT work- then Chadman will join you in protest.

If they can get better on the Oline, the offense will be even better. TEs need to improve their run blocking. Ben needs to improve on areas of his game too. Once those things happen, I think the offense will be even better.

Where should the Steelers place their focus? Draft for the Oline, Dline, or CB? Those are the 3 areas I think the team should look to improve in the off season.

SteelerOfDeVille
02-02-2009, 12:56 AM
HOPE he gets a job somewhere else... you can't fire the OC on the SB champs...

Steel Life
02-02-2009, 01:53 AM

thank God we have Ben and he saved the day along with Holmes. ok props to the d too
I second this...I was pulling my hair out on the goal-line play-calling - how many opportunities did they let slip by? What's the infatuation with Davis? Why can't he find better running plays? Why didn't he adjust in the 2nd-half? What was with the Wildcat?

Another case of the guys rising up & the way Ben plays, you can't give BA too much credit.

Djfan
02-02-2009, 01:58 AM
Saying that we don't like him because he used to work for the stains is ignoring all the points.

Incredible.

Steeler Shades
02-02-2009, 09:11 AM
The litmus test is how much demand there is for Airens services. After Cowher left there was how many teams lined up to offer him an OC or HC job? And now after a SB winning season I'm sure the NFL will show their appreciation for his abilities by entering into a bidding war for his services. Of course if NOBODY wants him maybe it is because he isn't worth hiring and you and Oviedo are definitely "on" something. 8)What head coaching jobs would be available?
Two OCs were on the field yesterday, lets see who gets a HC job. How insulting would it be if the losing SB OC gets a HC job (with....lets say KC) and the winning OC gets nadda other than carried into another season because of the skills and efforts of others. We can do better. 8)

Oviedo
02-02-2009, 09:18 AM
Look at the bright side--another full season of reasons to come back every week and b*tch about Bruce Arians. Another season of blaming him for an OL that can't move the LOS. Another season to blame him for players dropping passes on the 4 yard line (Heath).

I guess if Tomlin lets Arians keep his job that will just prove that Tomlin is nothing more than an "overpaid janitor" and isn't a good football coach because he knows nothing about who should be the OC. Why would a "good" HC keep such a "bad" OC?

frankthetank1
02-02-2009, 09:23 AM
[quote="steeler_george":z2jz0qne]But some of his calls are bone headed, second last drive 4 min to go, parker gets good yardage. 2nd down empty back field....why? eat the clock, keep feeding parker, why go empty it telegraphs we are passing...result ben sacked and end up kicking.

I second this...I was pulling my hair out on the goal-line play-calling - how many opportunities did they let slip by? What's the infatuation with Davis? Why can't he find better running plays? Why didn't he adjust in the 2nd-half? What was with the Wildcat?

Another case of the guys rising up & the way Ben plays, you can't give BA too much credit.[/quote:z2jz0qne]

the wildcat was awful imo. i dont think you can blame arians for the goal line and other short yardage situation. the o-line never gets any push. you can call whatever play you want. if the o-line isnt going to win the battle at the los then it wont matter if you have bettis running it at the goal line

Steeler Shades
02-02-2009, 09:24 AM
I guess if Tomlin lets Arians keep his job that will just prove that Tomlin is nothing more than an "overpaid janitor" and isn't a good football coach because he knows nothing about who should be the OC. Why would a "good" HC keep such a "bad" OC?
I don't know why you are calling Tomlin an overpaid janitor just because he believes in "continuity". Our OC is bad. The line to lure him away from the Steelers does NOT exist because professional NFL GMs and coaches recognize that he is not worth hiring or promoting. If Tomlin keeps him he will be making a mistake. Probably isn't the first, and certainly wont be his last. Dump him now. 8)

frankthetank1
02-02-2009, 09:33 AM
I don't know why you are calling Tomlin an overpaid janitor just because he believes in "continuity". Our OC is bad. The line to lure him away from the Steelers does NOT exist because professional NFL GMs and coaches recognize that he is not worth hiring or promoting. If Tomlin keeps him he will be making a mistake. Probably isn't the first, and certainly wont be his last. Dump him now. 8)

he cant be too awful. they did just win a sb with arians and a bad o-line. i dont like him either but at some point you have to blame the execution along with the play calls. i really didnt have anything wrong with most of the calls. the wildcat and the fake reverse or whatever that was i hated, but that was pretty much it.

Oviedo
02-02-2009, 09:35 AM

I'm sure that Tomlin will be concerned that "he will be making a mistake" because we all know that and he can't see it.

Steel Life
02-02-2009, 10:57 AM
[quote="steeler_george":czyusjtt]But some of his calls are bone headed, second last drive 4 min to go, parker gets good yardage. 2nd down empty back field....why? eat the clock, keep feeding parker, why go empty it telegraphs we are passing...result ben sacked and end up kicking.

Another case of the guys rising up & the way Ben plays, you can't give BA too much credit.

the wildcat was awful imo. i dont think you can blame arians for the goal line and other short yardage situation. the o-line never gets any push. you can call whatever play you want. if the o-line isnt going to win the battle at the los then it wont matter if you have bettis running it at the goal line[/quote:czyusjtt]
My issue was with not doing more with the second chance they got at a TD after the PF call. I thought they needed to run it twice to force a tired D to suck it up, passing there brings issues that don't go our way - an INT (that almost happened) & the clock stops. And again, why to Davis when Moore is available?

feltdizz
02-02-2009, 01:26 PM
we will always second guess the OC.... but our execution at the GL is suspect to. Spaeth is the worst blocking TE I have ever seen. Bring back Tuman LOL!!!

All the Arians hate needs to stop. It's crazy talk.... I will say this... FWP is good but his vision is beyond terrible.. geez. I love him though...

We won a 6th trophy.. I'm good!

Steeler Shades
02-02-2009, 01:28 PM
I guess if Tomlin lets Arians keep his job that will just prove that Tomlin is nothing more than an "overpaid janitor" ...I don't know why you are calling Tomlin an overpaid janitor just because he believes in "continuity"...I'm sure that Tomlin will be concerned that "he will be making a mistake" because we all know that and he can't see it.
How do you know he can't see it? Perhaps he can and just doesn't have the authority to fire Airens. Either way don't give up hope......its still early and Airens may still get fired or offered a HC job somewhere. 8)

Oviedo
02-02-2009, 01:52 PM
[quote=Oviedo]I guess if Tomlin lets Arians keep his job that will just prove that Tomlin is nothing more than an "overpaid janitor" ...I don't know why you are calling Tomlin an overpaid janitor just because he believes in "continuity"...I'm sure that Tomlin will be concerned that "he will be making a mistake" because we all know that and he can't see it.
How do you know he can't see it? Perhaps he can and just doesn't have the authority to fire Airens. Either way don't give up hope......its still early and Airens may still get fired or offered a HC job somewhere. 8)[/quote:2q4wnuig]

I pretty certain that Tomlin after two year doesn't have an authority issue with the Rooneys as far as coaches.

You seem to automatically agree that I am an Arians fan. Quite frankly I could care less who is the OC as along as we win. I do like how he has interjected some more passing options to support ben's development. I don't like his short yardage offense in many cases.

I just realize that whatever the dynamics we are winning, our QB seems to be in an environment he likes and change doesn't mean better. I'm just willing to give Arians the benefit of the doubt until I see he has problems with a better OL and a healthy group of runners, e.g. Mendenhall. I think you underestimate how the play of the OL perhaps limits the plays he can call.

feltdizz
02-02-2009, 01:59 PM
15-4 with the hardest schedule and people want the OC gone.. truly amazing.

Steeler Shades
02-02-2009, 02:19 PM
15-4 with the hardest schedule and people want the OC gone.. truly amazing.
15-4 with the hardest schedule and people want the O-Line improved.. truly amazing. Whats your point....that there is no room for improvement? That the Steeler's overall record justifies not drafting or hiring of FAs? All teams need improvement in some areas including the 15-4 SB winning ones. Dump Airens and improve now (after the parade). 8)

BURGH86STEEL
02-02-2009, 02:30 PM
[quote=Oviedo]I guess if Tomlin lets Arians keep his job that will just prove that Tomlin is nothing more than an "overpaid janitor" ...I don't know why you are calling Tomlin an overpaid janitor just because he believes in "continuity"...I'm sure that Tomlin will be concerned that "he will be making a mistake" because we all know that and he can't see it.
How do you know he can't see it? Perhaps he can and just doesn't have the authority to fire Airens. Either way don't give up hope......its still early and Airens may still get fired or offered a HC job somewhere. 8)

I pretty certain that Tomlin after two year doesn't have an authority issue with the Rooneys as far as coaches.

You seem to automatically agree that I am an Arians fan. Quite frankly I could care less who is the OC as along as we win. I do like how he has interjected some more passing options to support ben's development. I don't like his short yardage offense in many cases.

I just realize that whatever the dynamics we are winning, our QB seems to be in an environment he likes and change doesn't mean better. I'm just willing to give Arians the benefit of the doubt until I see he has problems with a better OL and a healthy group of runners, e.g. Mendenhall. I think you underestimate how the play of the OL perhaps limits the plays he can call.[/quote:30ke3jqk]

I can care less who the OC is either. What I realize is that this offense has had some success with Arians as the OC. I think some of the short offense problems are a direct result of the Oline that we have.

I am not big on attacking the OC or DC when it is up to the players to execute what is called. No one will ever agree with every play that is called. That goes for every coach around the league.

I agree with your points about the Oline and healthy RBs. TEs have to do a better job with run blocking and pass protection. Ben and the WRs can work on areas of their games to improve the offense. Individual improvements will go a long way to making the collective group better.

Steeler Mafia
02-02-2009, 03:15 PM
I myself was totally disgusted with how Brucie called our short yardage game. Especially in goal situations. At one point we had 6 shots, thanks to the roughing the holder penalty, at getting a TD from within the 5 yard line. This moron has no clue how to get into the endzone from inside the 5, power running back or not. I almost changed my opinion of him after watching the first half, but after the second, he solidified himself again in my mind as a stubborn retarded a$$clown.

AngryAsian
02-02-2009, 04:30 PM
I'll say this: Congrats on a great season by the good guys wearing black and gold. All of you fans who think some of the criticism being dealt by posters towards BA is a unfair and uncalled for strictly because we won a Super Bowl, need to take a step back. This team can improve, and if anyone believes that Tomlin isn't a true motivator of men and doesn't subscribe to this school of thought is insane. How will you motivate your men that have already climbed the mountain. 22nd in the league in offense... there's definite need for improvement there. It will not however be in the form of firing Bruce Arians. So as fans we (that definitely includes myself) will have to deal with the fact that we'll still need to show patience and long suffering when watching plays that fall short.

For the record, I could care less who we get as OC, whether its BA or someone else. But we can't rely on the stars alining just right, for our O to win. This year, I can think of SEVERAL games that were won by defense and/or Ben's incredible ability to extend plays. Most certain is this, Ben can't continue to play like he has and have longevity in his career. Prior to last night's numbers Ben has been sacked 172 times since the start of his career. Most among active players. That's insane. We need to protect him, either with personnel or with scheme... the main thing is to RECOGNIZE that we need to protect our franchise and future HOF QB in earnest....

and that's the OC's job.

Steeler Shades
02-02-2009, 04:33 PM
I'll say this: Congrats on a great season by the good guys wearing black and gold. All of you fans who think some of the criticism being dealt by posters towards BA is a unfair and uncalled for strictly because we won a Super Bowl, need to take a step back. This team can improve, and if anyone believes that Tomlin isn't a true motivator of men and doesn't subscribe to this school of thought is insane. How will you motivate your men that have already climbed the mountain. 22nd in the league in offense... there's definite need for improvement there. It will not however be in the form of firing Bruce Arians. So as fans we (that definitely includes myself) will have to deal with the fact that we'll still need to show patience and long suffering when watching plays that fall short.

For the record, I could care less who we get as OC, whether its BA or someone else. But we can't rely on the stars alining just right, for our O to win. This year, I can think of SEVERAL games that were won by defense and/or Ben's incredible ability to extend plays. Most certain is this, Ben can't continue to play like he has and have longevity in his career. Prior to last night's numbers Ben has been sacked 172 times since the start of his career. Most among active players. That's insane. We need to protect him, either with personnel or with scheme... the main thing is to RECOGNIZE that we need to protect our franchise and future HOF QB in earnest....

and that's the OC's job.
Well said.
:Clap :Clap :Clap
8)

Iron Shiek
02-02-2009, 04:37 PM
Ben has openly admitted that he doesn't concern himself with the "number" of hits he takes as much as he does the number of "hard hits" he takes. So while the sack numbers are high and to us outsiders it looks like he is taking a beating, he himself has said that most of the time he can catch when he is gonna get sacked and falls and it doesn't take a toll on his body. He said throughout the year he's only taken a handful of really hard shots that hurt him pretty bad, but that its not as bad as people make it out to be and won't be taking years off his career or anything. So I take some comfort in that.

With that said though, the probability of him suffering a major injury are obviously increased with the higher amount of hits (hard or not) he takes. So I will agree that they HAVE to improve protection, like many of us say. And while I wish it was Bruce's head, I know it won't be.

AngryAsian
02-02-2009, 04:51 PM
Ben has openly admitted that he doesn't concern himself with the "number" of hits he takes as much as he does the number of "hard hits" he takes. So while the sack numbers are high and to us outsiders it looks like he is taking a beating, he himself has said that most of the time he can catch when he is gonna get sacked and falls and it doesn't take a toll on his body. He said throughout the year he's only taken a handful of really hard shots that hurt him pretty bad, but that its not as bad as people make it out to be and won't be taking years off his career or anything. So I take some comfort in that.

With that said though, the probability of him suffering a major injury are obviously increased with the higher amount of hits (hard or not) he takes. So I will agree that they HAVE to improve protection, like many of us say. And while I wish it was Bruce's head, I know it won't be.

I heard that as well, Shiek, but let me say this... how many pre- 28 years old decisions have been made by testosterone filled males on this board that were viewed as GOOD DECISIONS at the time, but in retrospect were not so good at all? From my vantage point, I can name numerous things I BELIEVED to be true strictly because I was under the BLANKET of INVINCIBILITY that youth often provides. Experience and maturity spawns wisdom, and after 4 documented cases of concussions prior to the age of 28... a little too much of the above noted thinking, and a little bit more wisdom needs to be applied here.

Oviedo
02-02-2009, 04:57 PM
Improve the OL and we will be surprised how "smart" Arians got in the off season. You cannot effectively call plays when the Guards on your OL are getting blown up several times a game and your RT can't handle a speed rusher.

AngryAsian
02-02-2009, 05:03 PM
O, I hear what you are saying and to some certain degree, I concur with your point. Our OL needs to be addressed big time, in the off season... but running FWP up the middle in directly to NGATA and RAY RAY in our AFCCG, when you have no lead blocker and your one of your previous meeting the same defensive middle took out your back up RB for the season... just when you got your starting RB healthy again... is not what I would consider smart. Especially doing it over and over again doing 1st and 2nd downs, putting you in 3rd and long situations. Just MHO.

NorthCoast
02-02-2009, 07:19 PM
Improve the OL and we will be surprised how "smart" Arians got in the off season. You cannot effectively call plays when the Guards on your OL are getting blown up several times a game and your RT can't handle a speed rusher.

I have been a BA hater for a while, but as I watched the game unfold last night I started to wonder whether I have been too harsh. The talent on the OL (more correctly, the LACK of talent on the OL) is clearly limiting a lot of what we like to do in terms of running the ball. So maybe BA does deserve a break on that. BUT, the most bothersome thing about BA's legacy so far is the glaring lack of in-game adjustment. It was clear that almost the entire first half was scripted, but after the half and AZ had made defensive adjustments, we seem to have very few answers for the changes. It is almost as if BA is given a week to watch film, he can come up with something that works, but he can't seem to think on the fly. It only seems to work when Ben goes to the hurry-up. BTW, have we EVER heard Tomlin say we called a good O gameplan? He talks how Ben was able to come up with some big plays but not that the calls were great.

TallyStiller
02-02-2009, 08:24 PM
The first two drives in this game were tremendous. QUICK screens, a short dump in the middle to Heath, a play - action rollout second play of the game, a widcat snap - doing things that mix it up a little and go against tendencies. That was the secret to the XL run.

After that, it was typical Arians sh*t, with unproductive up the middle runs telegraphed on first down into the teeth of run blitzes, no play action because we're running empty sets... a third grader could predict what was coming. No O line can block a defense that knows everything you're going to do before you do it... we could've had the lstarting line next Sunday in Honolulu and it wouldn't have helped.

Arians has no larger vision to his playcalling, no idea of what he wants to do to break a defense down. Smart coaches will run something early to set up something off it later. Bruce plunges the middle just to do it, 'cause it's all he can think of. No play action, no draws... no passes to the second or third tight ends in those 2 and 3 TE sets he always runs... and as such, other defenses figure it out.

He owes his job and his continued employment to the fact that, after his imbecilic game plans break down and he's down to the blindfold and dart board method of choosing plays, Ben steps in and plays some of the best sandlot, draw it up in the dirt football ever. Just go out and I'll hit you. Keep running around until the ball comes out. And we win... and you don't fire coaches after an SB win.

But this masks the problem. We could be great... an absolute juggernaut... if the offense could play well for 60 minutes. In order to do hat, however, you've got to systematically attack opposing defense, something BA is incapable of doing. I'm beyond thrilled with our SB victory, but still want us to be the SB XIII Steelers rather than the SB IX version.

BURGH86STEEL
02-02-2009, 08:35 PM

I have been a BA hater for a while, but as I watched the game unfold last night I started to wonder whether I have been too harsh. The talent on the OL (more correctly, the LACK of talent on the OL) is clearly limiting a lot of what we like to do in terms of running the ball. So maybe BA does deserve a break on that. BUT, the most bothersome thing about BA's legacy so far is the glaring lack of in-game adjustment. It was clear that almost the entire first half was scripted, but after the half and AZ had made defensive adjustments, we seem to have very few answers for the changes. It is almost as if BA is given a week to watch film, he can come up with something that works, but he can't seem to think on the fly. It only seems to work when Ben goes to the hurry-up. BTW, have we EVER heard Tomlin say we called a good O gameplan? He talks how Ben was able to come up with some big plays but not that the calls were great.

Are you sure it is a lack of in game adjustments? Or is it the execution by the players? There were games where the players left plays out on the field for a lack of execution. Sometimes the other team's defense does a good job.

pick6
02-03-2009, 02:13 AM
I just dont like BA. There is something very wrong with this guys playcalling and understanding of the game. I'll give two examples of pure madness, one in the AFCC and the other in the Superbowl. Against the ravens at a critical point in the second half on second and 10 Parker got off a great run for 8 or 9 yards. Now we all know that this is a game of inches and split seconds, so anytime we can make a defender unsure of what we are going to do we should take advanyage of it. So what does BA do. He calls an empty set, in essence taking the run off the table. I can not express how
horrible this call was. Then in the Superbowl in the forth quarter at about the 6 minute point parker gets 4 or 5 on first down. So what does BA do to keep them guessing and take advantage of the down and distance. He goes to the empty set. Dockett sees this knowing that he does no have to respect the run, he pins his ears back and sacks Ben. he is not a complete.

Djfan
02-03-2009, 02:44 AM
The most common ways to make defenses crazy:

1) Have good to great players - We can improve here, no doubt. But, we have a great neucleus at this point, and very good in many respects all over.

2) Have those players execute well - We can improve here, no doubt.

3) Call plays that highlight the strengths of your team, and weaknesses of the opponent - This is all Bruce A here. This is a big problem for the Steelers from time to time. In fact, too many times.

4) Get the other team on the ropes and kill them there - Another Bruce A area of needed improvement.

5) Adjust during the game to quit using what doesn't work, and incorporate what does work - Again, all Bruce A. I just don't see this at at from him.

By my tally, three of the issues we need to address on the offense (that's 60%!) can be fixed by Bruce A, 1 issue (20%) can be fixed by the players, and 1 issue (the last 20%) by the front office, via personnel.

If you could solve 60% of your problems by one fix, wouldn't you??

Funny how the LeBeau led defense isn't having these issues. The only thing I was hoping he would fix was the "LeBeau Cushion" which was used , but mixed with press defense this year. Nice adjustment I credit to Tomlin.

sd steel
02-05-2009, 09:46 PM
I recognize a pile of crap when I see it but who knows, maybe the smell I detect eminating from Bruce Arians is something else. I just doubt it.The difference with these bums and the bum we currently have is that they didn't have the talent we have currently on our offense. Not to mention an elite QB manning the ropes. Trust me, all of you Arians lovers... if we didn't have Ben, we wouldn't be having these conversations. We wouldn't be in the SB and the plays that have been called that got us here would be in the toilet. We win in spite of our OC, not because of him.
8)

Is this post about Arians not derogatory and name calling, yet the Mod agrees with it and agrees with Steel Shades. Is there a double standard here Asian?

ray
02-05-2009, 10:03 PM
Only gripe I have with Arians is his apparent unwillingness to establish a running game. Yeah you can try to go with a single back set but after a couple of games with no success, you need to try something else like the tried and true power I set with a lead blocker. The times they did have a lead blocker it seemed as though we had better success but did we stick with it, no. I can see passing more or a west coast type offense if the lead blocker sets didn't work out either but they never really gave it a chance. Now I'm not in on the Steeler's game planning so I don't know how much of this is Arians's fault and/or Tomlin's but they need to do something to get a respectable running game going for next season.

BURGH86STEEL
02-05-2009, 10:06 PM
Only gripe I have with Arians is his apparent unwillingness to establish a running game. Yeah you can try to go with a single back set but after a couple of games with no success, you need to try something else like the tried and true power I set with a lead blocker. The times they did have a lead blocker it seemed as though we had better success but did we stick with it, no. I can see passing more or a west coast type offense if the lead blocker sets didn't work out either but they never really gave it a chance. Now I'm not in on the Steeler's game planning so I don't know how much of this is Arians's fault and/or Tomlin's but they need to do something to get a respectable running game going for next season.

Improve the Oline, have the TEs work on their blocking, and hope the RBs stay injury free is what it will take to get a respectable running game.

sd steel
02-05-2009, 10:21 PM
[quote=Flasteel]I recognize a pile of crap when I see it but who knows, maybe the smell I detect eminating from Bruce Arians is something else. I just doubt it.The difference with these bums and the bum we currently have is that they didn't have the talent we have currently on our offense. Not to mention an elite QB manning the ropes. Trust me, all of you Arians lovers... if we didn't have Ben, we wouldn't be having these conversations. We wouldn't be in the SB and the plays that have been called that got us here would be in the toilet. We win in spite of our OC, not because of him.
8)

Is this post about Arians not derogatory and name calling, yet the Mod agrees with it and agrees with Steel Shades. Is there a double standard here Asian?[/quote:3kx2fv8n]

Asian??? So I can call coaches names even though the rules, as quoted by Steel Shades, the resident tattle tale" says I can't? Be consistent.

Steeler Shades
02-05-2009, 10:25 PM
Is this post about Arians not derogatory and name calling, yet the Mod agrees with it and agrees with Steel Shades. Is there a double standard here Asian?
Each subsequent attempt to validate your uninformed opinion makes you look more foolish. 8)

sd steel
02-05-2009, 10:38 PM
[quote="sd steel":acp2gtuk]Is this post about Arians not derogatory and name calling, yet the Mod agrees with it and agrees with Steel Shades. Is there a double standard here Asian?
Each subsequent attempt to validate your uninformed opinion makes you look more foolish. 8)[/quote:acp2gtuk]

So YOU can say I look foolish, and that is OK and not derogatory?

RuthlessBurgher
02-05-2009, 10:42 PM
I refuse to take sides here. I don't care if Steeler Shades started it or sd steel started it, but this childish little flame war has taken over 3 threads now. Knock it off, already. Seriously. We are adults here (or at least should be). People here are allowed to speak their minds and agree or disagree with each other and may agree or disagree with actions of players, coaches or the front office...expressing these opinions is the whole point of a discussion board. This board will not disintegrate into such pettiness. Grow up now, gentleman. Folks who cannot will not be here long, because preserving the board is more important than a few individual members. Rant off. That is the last word, because I am locking this now. Talk about football now instead of each other, please.

Steeler Shades
02-05-2009, 10:42 PM
[quote="Steeler Shades":14zstakz][quote="sd steel":14zstakz]Is this post about Arians not derogatory and name calling, yet the Mod agrees with it and agrees with Steel Shades. Is there a double standard here Asian?
Each subsequent attempt to validate your uninformed opinion makes you look more foolish. 8)[/quote:14zstakz]So YOU can say I look foolish, and that is OK and not derogatory?[/quote:14zstakz]
If you act the fool then you will look foolish. 8)