PDA

View Full Version : Has the leagues best defense ever lost a SB?

Captain Lemming
02-01-2009, 01:17 PM
One important fact that nobody is saying is, historically great defenses never lose.

70s Steelers, Ravens, Bears, even Tampa Bay.

It seems to me that whenever the leagues best defense makes the SB, they never lose.

Some faced far more explosive offenses, yet they not only won, but they dominated the game.

SidSmythe
02-01-2009, 01:29 PM
It's much easier to live up to being a GREAT Defense ....

OFFENSES have to deal w/ so many details to be on their game. Great defense are JUST GREAT. They do what they do.

Offenses still have to make quick choices and make plays.
Defenses for the most part just do what they do.

Captain Lemming
02-01-2009, 01:52 PM
It's much easier to live up to being a GREAT Defense ....

OFFENSES have to deal w/ so many details to be on their game. Great defense are JUST GREAT. They do what they do.

Offenses still have to make quick choices and make plays.
Defenses for the most part just do what they do.
I think it is more cerebral then that.
I heard Warren Moon pick the Steelers.
Interestingly he said "it is hard to beat a great defense that has two weeks to prepare for you".
At that point it occurred to me that great defenses always win.

Offenses can catch a defense off guard in a week, but in two weeks a defense will have you figured out, a great defense will stop you.

Chachi
02-01-2009, 01:52 PM
http://forums.chargers.com/showthread.php?t=65256

Charger fan did some researching. In a nut shell....

Then -- take a look at the blue highlights in the graph above. These are instances where a team has one form or another of a #1 offense or defense (total, scoring, or combined). Five teams with some form of #1 offense have won the SuperBowl. Six teams with some form of #1 defense have won the SuperBowl. Pretty close, right?

BUT, not a single team with some form of #1 defense has lost a SuperBowl, and six teams with a #1 offense category have lost a SuperBowl !!!

It should be noted that more teams with a #1 offensive category have reached the SuperBowl than defensive teams (11 offensive, 6 defensive). But the defensive teams that have made it have a 100% win rate (6 for 6).

Flasteel
02-01-2009, 02:41 PM
One important fact that nobody is saying is, historically great defenses never lose.

70s Steelers, Ravens, Bears, even Tampa Bay.

It seems to me that whenever the leagues best defense makes the SB, they never lose.

Some faced far more explosive offenses, yet they not only won, but they dominated the game.

Lemming, this is perhaps the best quetion I've heard anyone ask concerning the game.

I just spent 30 minutes researching and crafting a piece of literary art to support your theory and when I hit the submit button, the page failed to load...it was lost.

In a nutshell, I included the Vikings (Purple People Eaters), Miami (No-Name) Dallas (Doomsday), Denver (Orange Crush), Buffalo, and our Blitzburgh defense in the '90's as great defenses (argue if anyone wants). They all lost Super Bowls, but each time their teams ran across someone with an equal or better defense.

That is certainly not the case in this game. Whether or not we are among the all-time dominant defenses may be debatable to some, but to me there's no question we are. Despite playing well in these playoffs, Arizona is clearly inferior on that side of the ball.

No dominant defense has ever lost a Super Bowl to a team without an equally dominant defense (or better) which had at least the capability to rise up and play better that day.

Never.

Game! :tt2 :Boobs

EDIT: I just saw Chachi's posting with the Charger fan's stats and did not want to just look at teams who had the defensive edge or were even ranked number one. I believe our defense has risen to the ranks of the all-time most dominant and wanted to see what the truly great defenses had done. But this statistic is hard, quantitative data which backs-up my more qualitative list.

Either way the evidence is crystal clear. We are going to win this game or wind up defying all statistical probability.

Woooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :Boobs

Captain Lemming
02-01-2009, 03:41 PM
In a nutshell, I included the Vikings (Purple People Eaters), Miami (No-Name) Dallas (Doomsday), Denver (Orange Crush), Buffalo, and our Blitzburgh defense in the '90's as great defenses (argue if anyone wants). They all lost Super Bowls, but each time their teams ran across someone with an equal or better defense.

None of those losing defenses, even those with cute nicknames were statistically number one in a SB season season.

That is why I limited it to SB teams that had statistically dominant seasons.

They ALL won.

Flasteel
02-01-2009, 04:04 PM

None of those losing defenses, even those with cute nicknames were statistically number one in a SB season season.

That is why I limited it to SB teams that had statistically dominant seasons.

They ALL won.

Being number one doesn't necessarily indicate dominance, afterall, someone finishes number one every year. Granted only six of those defenses have gone on to the Super Bowl, but without looking it up, I'm not so sure that group is made up entirely of teams with an all-time dominating defense. I think we have moved beyond the statistically best defense in the league (that's what we were last year), and have become one of the most dominating defenses in the Super Bowl era.

A win today will make this one of the truly great defenses of all-time.

Your stat is a very solid statistical compliment to the point I made. Either way, it means we win! :tt2

Steeler Shades
02-02-2009, 12:12 AM
Defense gave up 373 yards of passing in the SB? 8)