PDA

View Full Version : I wonder if only Browns fans do this

ColumbusSteelerFan
02-01-2009, 12:58 AM
After finding the last IC Light six pack tonight at my local Giant Eagle store, I went to check out and the girl at the register was wearing a Dolphins jersey. After hearing her comment to the lady in front of me, "you either love the Steelers or hate them", I told her that she wasn't going to like the result of the game. I then said "well, at least you're not a Browns or Bengals fan". She told me, "Oh, I'm a Browns fan." Puzzled, I asked "but you're wearing a Miami jersey". Her response? "Oh, well it's Ted Ginn, you know." I forgot for a minute who #19 was but then I remember when she said that. I told her, "well, with that logic, I hope you're rooting for Santonio Holmes to win tomorrow!" :lol:

Which begs the question, do you know of anyone else that does this? You have a favorite pro team, but one of your favorite college player goes and plays for another pro team, and you pick up his jersey. I don't think that'd work for me. That'd be like me wearing a Steve Breaston Cardinals jersey or an Amani Toomer Giants jersey. Maybe it's the fair weather Clowns fans that are really just Bucknut fans deep down and nothing else, but I thought the whole thing was a bit odd.

Djfan
02-01-2009, 03:21 AM
Nope! Not me! Never!

Discipline of Steel
02-01-2009, 04:24 AM
Was she blonde?

ColumbusSteelerFan
02-01-2009, 07:43 AM
Was she blonde?

LOL Brunette actually. I think it was just another Luckeye fan who "claims" to link the Clowns but deep down all they really care about is that team from around here that forgot how to win a big game over the past few years :lol:

Uncle Rico
02-01-2009, 08:42 AM
I was a big Larry Fitzgerald fan when he was at Pitt and I'm happy that he's had a great NFL career but just for today I have chosen to despise his guts.

MeetJoeGreene
02-01-2009, 09:02 AM
I always hope that some of my favorite PSU Players will do well in the pros - unless it impacts the Steelers of course.

But I couldn't ever, ever fathom getting another pro team jersey.

Unless it was my brother -- but that ain't happening.

stlrz d
02-01-2009, 09:48 AM
As a USC fan I'd have to buy way too many.

That's why my #43 works perfect for me. ;)

Chachi
02-01-2009, 09:59 AM
I can see it.

Some people just like college sports more than pro. I see this more in basketball than I do in football, but I've a few friends that, for instance, are HUGE Mountaineer football fans and only secondary Steeler fans.....or secondary (enter random team here) fans.

I think, from our perspective being Steeler Fans, it is hard to see this because, well, we kick ass year in and year out. Sure we had some dole drums in the 80's but that is just a blip in the radar when you compare it to the Loooooooooooong suffering Stains fans, or Bungles, or Lions, or 'Aints, or whatever long sucking teams that are out there. Those fans need SOMETHING to root for that isn't just empty wishing.

I'm a Mountaineer fan, and a big fan of Steve Slaton. If I wasn't a Steeler fan, which was a real possibility as my parents were/are Stains fans, I could see myself purchasing a Texans Slaton jersey. Hell, I think I would need something to wear I could be proud of, something I wouldn't be embarrassed to wear out in public....like a stains jersey. :wink: :lol:

buckeyehoppy
02-01-2009, 11:44 AM
After finding the last IC Light six pack tonight at my local Giant Eagle store, I went to check out and the girl at the register was wearing a Dolphins jersey. After hearing her comment to the lady in front of me, "you either love the Steelers or hate them", I told her that she wasn't going to like the result of the game. I then said "well, at least you're not a Browns or Bengals fan". She told me, "Oh, I'm a Browns fan." Puzzled, I asked "but you're wearing a Miami jersey". Her response? "Oh, well it's Ted Ginn, you know." I forgot for a minute who #19 was but then I remember when she said that. I told her, "well, with that logic, I hope you're rooting for Santonio Holmes to win tomorrow!" :lol:

Which begs the question, do you know of anyone else that does this? You have a favorite pro team, but one of your favorite college player goes and plays for another pro team, and you pick up his jersey. I don't think that'd work for me. That'd be like me wearing a Steve Breaston Cardinals jersey or an Amani Toomer Giants jersey. Maybe it's the fair weather Clowns fans that are really just Bucknut fans deep down and nothing else, but I thought the whole thing was a bit odd.

Are you wearing yer Woodley or Foote today? Ya gotta have either/or or both/and, especially since they are part of the greatest group of LBs since the 70s B & G.

Displaced Fan
02-01-2009, 04:25 PM
Hey, I live near, and cheer for the Carolina Panthers when they play anyone except the Steelers.

I know all about their palyers and read their forums.

But I am black and gold to the core.
I have no Panther swag.
I have been to games in Charlotte with only Steeler gear on.

I just can't do it, my black and gold blood won't let me. (Thats a good thing)

Snatch98
02-01-2009, 05:06 PM
Yea not my style either and I'd have to agree with people being buckeye crazy and a bit backwards. I wish I was there to see her face after you brought up Santonio lol. I picked up some IC Light myself a few weeks ago and picked up more earlier in the week for the super bowl and completely forgot it at my house. Where in Columbus are you? I'm about 5 minutes from Polaris in Westerville and snagged up the IC light at the Westerville Giant Eagle.

I'm actually not having a good day. I completely forgot my IC light and when getting out of my gf's truck with my 8 month old Doberman and our recently rescued Chocolate lab they decided to begin their iditarod training a little early and pull to the front door. I'm yelling and got them to pay attention and stop but before they calmed down they made me drop one of my terrible towels in a puddle. I was so f'in mad. It's in the wash now. I had to get the Ohio puddle dirt off it ASAP. :evil: :tt2

ColumbusSteelerFan
02-01-2009, 05:20 PM
Are you wearing yer Woodley or Foote today? Ya gotta have either/or or both/and, especially since they are part of the greatest group of LBs since the 70s B & G.

If I only had one of their jerseies, I'd wear it. Yeah, I know I should, but haven't had the budget the past few years to buy any new jerseys. Kids and other expenses will do it. I'm hoping my wife will let me get one of them if they win today to celebrate. I will certainly wear it when I get back together with the Maize and Blue faithful in the fall.

I'm in Hilliard, but work in Westerville, so I know where you are. As far as the lady Bucknut fan's reaction when I mentioned Holmes, she kind of half heartedly said "yeah, I guess if there's an OSU player there I'll cheer for them". :roll: