PDA

View Full Version : 1979 vs. 2008

msp26505
01-31-2009, 12:10 PM
A friend of mine posted this note on Facebook this morning, and I thought it also belonged here...

The 1979 Steelers faced the NFC West division winner (Rams), who went 9-7 and made an improbable run in the playoffs defeating the previous NFC champs from the NFC Eastern division (Cowboys).

The Rams had beaten the Steelers the previous season out west, so despite the regular season record the Steelers knew what kind of team they were facing.

The 2008 Steelers face the NFC West division winner (Cardinals), who went 9-7 and made an improbable run in the playoffs, defeating the Eagles from the NFC East.

The Cardinals beat the Steelers last year out in Arizona, so the Steelers know what to expect.

Both the 79 and 08 Steelers went 12-4 in the regular season and had to face a division rival in the AFC Championship.

Both the 79 and 08 Steelers were led by a ferocious LB hailing from Kent State. Lambert saved the game during the January 80 Super Bowl. James Harrison is the NFL Defensive Player of the Year.

January 20, 1980
Steelers 31
Rams 19

February 1, 2009
Steelers 34
Cardinals 23

They remind me a lot of the Chargers, who in the end couldn't handle Pittsburgh at the line. I think AZ run defense is solid, just like San Diego's. Which is good news for Willie Parker, because my man is more than solid! I love Big Ben on third down and against a 4-3. I also LOVE our defense against a single dimensional offense. If Kurt Warner cant throw it, Fitzgerald and Boldin cant catch it.

At the beginning of the year when everybody said 'the AFC North Champ might have a losing record', I thought '@#$% THAT!!!!!!' I called this Super Bowl at the beginning of the year, and I'm still right:
We are going to CRUSH THEM!!!

HERE WE GO
STEELERS
HERE WE GO
BOOM BOOM

I followed up with this comment:

I have also noticed all the interesting coincidences.

But in the words of Mike Tomlin, I don't put much stock in all that "hocus pocus", I am just sure that the Steelers are the better team, are very level-headed and humble, and will be prepared to play.

If these two teams play ten times, Pittsburgh wins eight. Like you, I expect a score very similar to the San Diego game.

Steelers 31-20.

:tt1

Flasteel
01-31-2009, 12:47 PM
The Rams beat the Bucs to get into the Super Bowl in '79.

msp26505
01-31-2009, 01:00 PM

You are correct...I'm surprised I missed that.

Flasteel
01-31-2009, 01:09 PM

You are correct...I'm surprised I missed that.

Yeah, but I think I may have jumped the gun a little on that. I'm not sure if they were trying to correlate the respective NFC championship games or the fact that the Rams and Cards both defeated teams from the east en route to the Super Bowl (which is a pretty lame correlation). I'm pretty sure the Rams did beat the 'Boys in the divisional or wildcard round.

SidSmythe
01-31-2009, 04:36 PM
I was going to start a thread similar to this after watching the actually game on NFLN