PDA

View Full Version : Schein's Nine on Fox-MSN Sports

Jooser
01-30-2009, 09:39 PM
...reasons we win. This guy hit one outa the park. :2c

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9140 ... &GT1=39002 (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9140024?MSNHPHCP&GT1=39002)

Schein's Nine: Why Steelers will win Super Bowl by Adam Schein
Adam Schein hosts the Sirius Blitz on Sirius NFL Radio from 11-3 ET.

Updated: January 30, 2009, 6:49 PM EST 280 comments TAMPA - The Super Bowl is going to be an epic affair. Seriously. I think this game is going to be excellent and come down to the final minutes of the fourth quarter.

But the more and more I think about this game, the more and more I am convinced about two things.

Who will win SB XLIII? While Adam Schein sides with the Steelers, Peter Schrager shoots for his second straight Super Bowl upset special in picking the Cardinals. I am obsessed with the Cardinals' Horatio Alger tale. I'd love to see them win.

However, Mike Tomlin and the Steelers are going to hoist the Lombardi trophy as Super Bowl winners, beating Arizona, 24-23. They have the ultimate blend of lights-out defense, big-play ability, a clutch quarterback, experience and coaching.

We will explain why the Steelers get it done for today's "Schein 9."

1. Ben Roethlisberger
When I look at Big Ben, I see a top-five quarterback in the game. Don't pay attention to his completion percentage analyze what he does in crunch time. Roethlisberger has this special knack for making plays on third down. Opposing defensive players consistently talk about how tough he is to take down with his tree trunk-sized legs and scrambling ability.

I also think there is a bit of an underreported storyline for Roethlisberger. He was absolutely brutal in his first Super Bowl. Sure, he goes down as the winning quarterback, but Roethlisberger completed just nine passes. The hunger to eradicate the most recent performance in a title setting fuels Roethlisberger.

If you're asking me to choose one quarterback for this showdown, I am picking Roethlisberger over Kurt Warner.

2. Hines Ward/Santonio Holmes
The Cardinals' defensive backs have been ball hawks in the playoffs, turning over Jake Delhomme and Matt Ryan at a rapid rate. But for different reasons, the primary targets in the Pittsburgh passing attack match up well.

Ward isn't 100 percent physically, but he's a warrior. He's going to be healthy enough to catch a pass in the red zone or on third down to make a difference.

Holmes doesn't get enough credit for his big-play ability. We saw it on special teams against San Diego and with the yards after the catch against Baltimore. While Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie has become a shutdown cornerback, I think Holmes can win this battle.

3. Heath Miller
Watch Miller do at least five difference-making things in the Super Bowl. Maybe it's a touchdown or a first-down conversion. Perhaps it's a block in the running attack or springing Willie Parker loose on a screen or allowing Holmes to run free. All Steelers fans know how Miller impacts the big game.

4. Pittsburgh's offensive line
Yes, you read that correctly. The much-maligned Pittsburgh offensive line is playing its best ball of the season. I don't want to hear about the sacks in the Ravens game. That was because Roethlisberger held on to the ball too long. And let's also give Baltimore some credit, too. Willie Colon and company played great against San Diego and did a fine job against Baltimore, as the Steelers had legit balance in the offense. Which leads us to ...

5. Willie Parker
The Cardinals, with the Larry Fitzgerald love-fest, probably don't get enough credit for how they have bottled up elite backs in Michael Turner, DeAngelo Williams and Brian Westbrook. But I think Parker will impact the Super Bowl. I respect Karlos Dansby, Adrian Wilson, Darnell Dockett and company too much to predict 150 rush yards. But the scenario I envision would be ideal for the Steelers. Parker gets the ball 20-23 times on the ground. Arizona does a pretty good job bottling him up, but "Fast Willie" breaks a couple of runs as game breakers, either for touchdowns or long gains. That's what is going to happen.

6. James Harrison
There's a reason why I voted for him as Defensive Player of the Year. I can give you sack numbers and talk matchups against the suddenly strong Cardinal offensive line. But instead, I will reference what Mike Tomlin has told us on Sirius NFL Radio throughout the year, which is that nobody makes more "splash plays" that impact the result of a contest.

Harrison has a tireless motor and will be counted upon to take Warner out of his flow. Based on precedent, bank on it.

7. Pittsburgh run defense
James Farrior is a flat-out star moving sideline to sideline. Fellow inside backer Larry Foote is a perfect fit next to him. The Steelers' defensive line is sensational. Aaron Smith is an excellent player. And on a team that has a galaxy of defensive stars, Washington offensive guard Pete Kendall told us on Monday morning that the first guy you must account for is Casey Hampton.

Look, I think that Todd Haley is going to call a great game and strive for balance. I love the "Edgerrin James being reborn" story. But the Steelers' run defense is something special. They are just too good!

8. Troy Polamalu
There is absolutely no way I can say that the Steelers' cornerbacks will deal with the freak that is Larry Fitzgerald. In fact, I think Anquan Boldin and Steve Breaston are also poor matchups for Pittsburgh. But just like Ed Reed can change games and make up for, at times, spotty play at cornerback in Baltimore, that's what Polamalu does for Dick LeBeau's defense. It's Polamalu on the blitz. It's Polamalu crushing Breaston over the middle. It's Polamalu getting one of the two picks Warner throws in the game.

9. Coaching
Simply put, I love Mike Tomlin. He's the right guy for this team. Tomlin's demeanor keeps them focused. He scared Limas Sweed straight after his horrible drop on championship Sunday, and Sweed bounced back and made two game-changing plays for Pittsburgh.

LeBeau is the godfather of blitzing. And Bruce Arians is preaching the balance that's needed to win.

And I love how aggressive all three coaches are. Even when you disagree with Tomlin's decisions to go for it on fourth and short or his fake punts, Tomlin is consistent in his approach and his players appreciate it.

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p262/jooser73/footballsmiley.gif Let's get it one!

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-30-2009, 11:23 PM
...reasons we win. This guy hit one outa the park. :2c

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9140 ... &GT1=39002 (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9140024?MSNHPHCP&GT1=39002)

Schein's Nine: Why Steelers will win Super Bowl by Adam Schein
Adam Schein hosts the Sirius Blitz on Sirius NFL Radio from 11-3 ET.

Updated: January 30, 2009, 6:49 PM EST 280 comments TAMPA - The Super Bowl is going to be an epic affair. Seriously. I think this game is going to be excellent and come down to the final minutes of the fourth quarter.

But the more and more I think about this game, the more and more I am convinced about two things.

Who will win SB XLIII? While Adam Schein sides with the Steelers, Peter Schrager shoots for his second straight Super Bowl upset special in picking the Cardinals. I am obsessed with the Cardinals' Horatio Alger tale. I'd love to see them win.

However, Mike Tomlin and the Steelers are going to hoist the Lombardi trophy as Super Bowl winners, beating Arizona, 24-23. They have the ultimate blend of lights-out defense, big-play ability, a clutch quarterback, experience and coaching.

We will explain why the Steelers get it done for today's "Schein 9."

1. Ben Roethlisberger
When I look at Big Ben, I see a top-five quarterback in the game. Don't pay attention to his completion percentage analyze what he does in crunch time. Roethlisberger has this special knack for making plays on third down. Opposing defensive players consistently talk about how tough he is to take down with his tree trunk-sized legs and scrambling ability.

I also think there is a bit of an underreported storyline for Roethlisberger. He was absolutely brutal in his first Super Bowl. Sure, he goes down as the winning quarterback, but Roethlisberger completed just nine passes. The hunger to eradicate the most recent performance in a title setting fuels Roethlisberger.

If you're asking me to choose one quarterback for this showdown, I am picking Roethlisberger over Kurt Warner.

2. Hines Ward/Santonio Holmes
The Cardinals' defensive backs have been ball hawks in the playoffs, turning over Jake Delhomme and Matt Ryan at a rapid rate. But for different reasons, the primary targets in the Pittsburgh passing attack match up well.

Ward isn't 100 percent physically, but he's a warrior. He's going to be healthy enough to catch a pass in the red zone or on third down to make a difference.

Holmes doesn't get enough credit for his big-play ability. We saw it on special teams against San Diego and with the yards after the catch against Baltimore. While Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie has become a shutdown cornerback, I think Holmes can win this battle.

3. Heath Miller
Watch Miller do at least five difference-making things in the Super Bowl. Maybe it's a touchdown or a first-down conversion. Perhaps it's a block in the running attack or springing Willie Parker loose on a screen or allowing Holmes to run free. All Steelers fans know how Miller impacts the big game.

4. Pittsburgh's offensive line
Yes, you read that correctly. The much-maligned Pittsburgh offensive line is playing its best ball of the season. I don't want to hear about the sacks in the Ravens game. That was because Roethlisberger held on to the ball too long. And let's also give Baltimore some credit, too. Willie Colon and company played great against San Diego and did a fine job against Baltimore, as the Steelers had legit balance in the offense. Which leads us to ...

5. Willie Parker
The Cardinals, with the Larry Fitzgerald love-fest, probably don't get enough credit for how they have bottled up elite backs in Michael Turner, DeAngelo Williams and Brian Westbrook. But I think Parker will impact the Super Bowl. I respect Karlos Dansby, Adrian Wilson, Darnell Dockett and company too much to predict 150 rush yards. But the scenario I envision would be ideal for the Steelers. Parker gets the ball 20-23 times on the ground. Arizona does a pretty good job bottling him up, but "Fast Willie" breaks a couple of runs as game breakers, either for touchdowns or long gains. That's what is going to happen.

6. James Harrison
There's a reason why I voted for him as Defensive Player of the Year. I can give you sack numbers and talk matchups against the suddenly strong Cardinal offensive line. But instead, I will reference what Mike Tomlin has told us on Sirius NFL Radio throughout the year, which is that nobody makes more "splash plays" that impact the result of a contest.

Harrison has a tireless motor and will be counted upon to take Warner out of his flow. Based on precedent, bank on it.

7. Pittsburgh run defense
James Farrior is a flat-out star moving sideline to sideline. Fellow inside backer Larry Foote is a perfect fit next to him. The Steelers' defensive line is sensational. Aaron Smith is an excellent player. And on a team that has a galaxy of defensive stars, Washington offensive guard Pete Kendall told us on Monday morning that the first guy you must account for is Casey Hampton.

Look, I think that Todd Haley is going to call a great game and strive for balance. I love the "Edgerrin James being reborn" story. But the Steelers' run defense is something special. They are just too good!

8. Troy Polamalu
There is absolutely no way I can say that the Steelers' cornerbacks will deal with the freak that is Larry Fitzgerald. In fact, I think Anquan Boldin and Steve Breaston are also poor matchups for Pittsburgh. But just like Ed Reed can change games and make up for, at times, spotty play at cornerback in Baltimore, that's what Polamalu does for bad word LeBeau's defense. It's Polamalu on the blitz. It's Polamalu crushing Breaston over the middle. It's Polamalu getting one of the two picks Warner throws in the game.

9. Coaching
Simply put, I love Mike Tomlin. He's the right guy for this team. Tomlin's demeanor keeps them focused. He scared Limas Sweed straight after his horrible drop on championship Sunday, and Sweed bounced back and made two game-changing plays for Pittsburgh.

LeBeau is the godfather of blitzing. And Bruce Arians is preaching the balance that's needed to win.

And I love how aggressive all three coaches are. Even when you disagree with Tomlin's decisions to go for it on fourth and short or his fake punts, Tomlin is consistent in his approach and his players appreciate it.

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p262/jooser73/footballsmiley.gif Let's get it one!

I say make this guy an honorary homer!

Jooser
01-31-2009, 02:28 AM
:Cheers