PDA

View Full Version : bmac

frankthetank1
01-30-2009, 12:15 PM
does a sb appearance (2nd in his short career) and possibly a sb win lower bmacs price as a fa? i doubt it does, but if i were him why would i want to leave a sb caliber team with not too old of a team for a team on the same level as the bills lions or any other crap team. i know money is probably most important to most nfl players but how much does winning mean to most players?

Oviedo
01-30-2009, 12:21 PM
When Bmac hired Rosenhaus as his agent he let it be known that it will be all about the money. I'm not sure how you pay Bmac more money that Ike because Ike is the better CB.

I think Bmac walks and I'll think outside the box here but why not make a run for Nmandi Asomugha who is also a free agent. He does deserve more than Ike and he would be worth paying $2M for more than what Bmac is likely to be asking for.

Can you imagine Ike as one CB and Nmandi as the other. Talk about making a sharp knife even sharper and more lethal. A DB of Troy, Ike, Nmandi and Clark may be the best EVER in the NFL.

AngryAsian
01-30-2009, 12:23 PM
That's what scares me about Timmons. The DR factor.

frankthetank1
01-30-2009, 12:29 PM

timmons had dr as an agent? oh no i didnt know that. i keep forgetting dr is bmac's agent. that pretty much makes it a done deal. why would a player want dr as an agent? there are other agents just as good.

frankthetank1
01-30-2009, 12:30 PM
When Bmac hired Rosenhaus as his agent he let it be known that it will be all about the money. I'm not sure how you pay Bmac more money that Ike because Ike is the better CB.

I think Bmac walks and I'll think outside the box here but why not make a run for Nmandi Asomugha who is also a free agent. He does deserve more than Ike and he would be worth paying $2M for more than what Bmac is likely to be asking for.

Can you imagine Ike as one CB and Nmandi as the other. Talk about making a sharp knife even sharper and more lethal. A DB of Troy, Ike, Nmandi and Clark may be the best EVER in the NFL.

i would love nmandi in the black and gold. they would be the best defense ever no questions asked. i doubt they will have the money to make him a realistic offer though. he will definetly get a lot more money than bmac.

Oviedo
01-30-2009, 12:55 PM

i would love nmandi in the black and gold. they would be the best defense ever no questions asked. i doubt they will have the money to make him a realistic offer though. he will definetly get a lot more money than bmac.

Salary cap is going up to $123M and I think the Steelers are estimated to be $18-20M under.

frankthetank1
01-30-2009, 12:58 PM

Salary cap is going up to $123M and I think the Steelers are estimated to be $18-20M under.

but they have some guys that they should re-sign. as much as i dislike the current o-line you cant overhaul it too much in only one offseason. nate can beat it, i dont really care about him. if he wont sign for 1.5 a year than it is a waste of money. i would also think that nmandi would be the best cb in free agency so he will be asking for at least 7 or 8 a year. i hope i am wrong. nmandi is one of the best cb's in the nfl. adding him would be deadly.

Oviedo
01-30-2009, 01:01 PM

but they have some guys that they should re-sign. as much as i dislike the current o-line you cant overhaul it too much in only one offseason. nate can beat it, i dont really care about him. if he wont sign for 1.5 a year than it is a waste of money. i would also think that nmandi would be the best cb in free agency so he will be asking for at least 7 or 8 a year. i hope i am wrong. nmandi is one of the best cb's in the nfl. adding him would be deadly.

I agree. I think you have to resign Starks and tender an offer to Colon.

We also need to start thinking about extending Harrison, Woodley and Miller.

stlrz d
01-30-2009, 01:10 PM
I know the NFL is a business, but when I saw the video of that photo shoot for the defense I can't understand why guys wouldn't want to continue to be part of that camaraderie and chemistry.

I mean it's not like they're making minimum wage with the Steelers. Cripes, even the lowest paid guys make more in a year than I'll make in 5-6 years.

Oh yeah, I hate Drew Rosenhaus...just had to get that in there!

feltdizz
01-30-2009, 01:38 PM
Can you blame Bmac for getting paid? Every NFL player is one play away from retiring...

Bmac is going to get some cash but when you look at our D as a whole I can't see how a team pays big bucks for him.. he has done little this year due to injury and Gay pretty much put the BMac hype on hush mode....

a scrub team will pay though and he will take it... do you really think Randel El misses this team that much? Sure you miss your friends but you see them in the offseason and keep in contact.

get paid!

Iron Shiek
01-30-2009, 01:43 PM

I just messed in my pants...i need some tissues....
:shock:

Iron Shiek
01-30-2009, 01:46 PM

You are correct sir. While our line is much maligned, they have played better when there was actually stability in who was starting each week. And in one of Ben's 50 interviews this week, he definitely echoed that sentiment. He said you can't just slap together a line and expect it to be cohesive. They feed off each other and need to get comfortable with one another. It takes a few games he said, and they improved as they stabilized.

stlrz d
01-30-2009, 01:53 PM
Can you blame Bmac for getting paid? Every NFL player is one play away from retiring...

Bmac is going to get some cash but when you look at our D as a whole I can't see how a team pays big bucks for him.. he has done little this year due to injury and Gay pretty much put the BMac hype on hush mode....

a scrub team will pay though and he will take it... do you really think Randel El misses this team that much? Sure you miss your friends but you see them in the offseason and keep in contact.

get paid!

Imo, there's a difference between getting paid and just being greedy.

DBinAL
01-30-2009, 02:11 PM
If Bmac wants to go, then he's gone, a la Randle El. Put Gay in his place and sign an offensive lineman or two. DBs are esier to find than good offensive linemen.

Oviedo
01-30-2009, 02:12 PM

get paid!

Not according to Alan Faneca. I wonder what he is doing this week???

stlrz d
01-30-2009, 02:15 PM

get paid!

My point exactly. I don't understand why these guys would want to go to crappy teams to "get paid" when they are getting paid just fine on a good team that has a chance to compete year in and year out?

How many guys in the NFL retire with a ton of cash and say, "My one regret is that I never won a championship" Or, "I regret that I didn't win more than one"?

Oviedo
01-30-2009, 02:24 PM
[quote=feltdizz]Can you blame Bmac for getting paid? Every NFL player is one play away from retiring...

get paid!

My point exactly. I don't understand why these guys would want to go to crappy teams to "get paid" when they are getting paid just fine on a good team that has a chance to compete year in and year out?

How many guys in the NFL retire with a ton of cash and say, "My one regret is that I never won a championship" Or, "I regret that I didn't win more than one"?[/quote:14a6lzl0]

If they go to a crap team like the Bumgals or Lions because they offer the most money we shouldn't want them anyway because they just proved they really don't care about winning

williar
01-30-2009, 02:32 PM
You cannot blame these guys for wanting to paid. Football is a brutal, violent game. Most of their careers are short lived. This is probably THE most significant payday for Bmac, that second contract. I too wish we could keep 'em all. I also understand that if it were me, and I got my rings too, just show me the money!

stlrz d
01-30-2009, 02:39 PM
You cannot blame these guys for wanting to paid. Football is a brutal, violent game. Most of their careers are short lived. This is probably THE most significant payday for Bmac, that second contract. I too wish we could keep 'em all. I also understand that if it were me, and I got my rings too, just show me the money!

The whole point of my position is how much is enough? Know what I mean?

Even the guys who aren't "being paid" make a ton of money and all they need to do is find a sound bit of advice for investing purposes. If they're not stupid or careless they can live quite well and are set for life.

Why not live well AND make history?

feltdizz
01-30-2009, 02:42 PM
[quote=feltdizz]Can you blame Bmac for getting paid? Every NFL player is one play away from retiring...

get paid!

How many guys in the NFL retire with a ton of cash and say, "My one regret is that I never won a championship" Or, "I regret that I didn't win more than one"?[/quote:1v1yl7fq]

being greedy is TO in Philly... you sign and the next year you want more...

Alan Faneca is probably in Tampa in the Cards locker room trying to suit up... LOL.
actually Faneca is doing what 30 other teams are doing this year...

After you win a championship you want a fat check... hell, for many the fat check is more important then the SB.... look how we talk about Eli after he won the SB? He still sucks...

SB's are cool... but you guys act like you never wanted a raise or left a job you liked for a job that paid twice as much doing the same thing.

I used to be in a band, we were pretty good but half the band and most of our fans said "don't sign a record deal, keep it real" do it for the love... those same fans woke up in the morning and went to work.

It's easy to tell someone else not to take the money... but more times then not that same person would make the same decision if they had to.

feltdizz
01-30-2009, 02:44 PM

Even the guys who aren't "being paid" make a ton of money and all they need to do is find a sound bit of advice for investing purposes. If they're not stupid or careless they can live quite well and are set for life.

cause most players think they can make history where they go... I bet you 85% of Colts fans told Edge he would never get to a SB in AZ, he was just being greedy. I know I said it....

williar
01-30-2009, 02:53 PM
If I know that the market value for starting db's with so many years experience is six million per year, than don't come at me with a 4.8 million dollar offer. Hypothetically speaking, why should b-mac accept a 4 million per year offer, when someone like fabian washington gets a 5.5 million a year deal, and he's never been to a superbowl?

frankthetank1
01-30-2009, 03:02 PM
please i dont buy the whole gotta get paid way of thinking. the steelers would offer no less than 3-5 mill a year im sure. who the hell cant live on 3-5 mill a year. they have short careers yes but if you save your money, invest it wisely and plan for your future than you will have more than enough money. if you buy 10 cars, expensive jewlery and designer clothes then you deserve to go broke. i mean i would dream of making the nfl minimum. if you put it in perspective with us normal folk that is a sh$$ load of money. you can get paid and stick with a winner if you really want too

RussBII
01-30-2009, 03:03 PM

cause most players think they can make history where they go... I bet you 85% of Colts fans told Edge he would never get to a SB in AZ, he was just being greedy. I know I said it....

That's certainly part of it. No one expects to lose for the remainder of the career. If a team signs you, you have to believe they are doing it in an attempt to get better right? The other thing is these guys have no concept of money, therefore they have no idea that they could live the rest of their lives on one contract and be very VERY comfortable.

I actually think that all the press that DickLe Beau is getting might make most teams believe that BMac is a system guy... I'd like for every team to believe that...

frankthetank1
01-30-2009, 03:06 PM

That's certainly part of it. No one expects to lose for the remainder of the career. If a team signs you, you have to believe they are doing it in an attempt to get better right? The other thing is these guys have no concept of money, therefore they have no idea that they could live the rest of their lives on one contract and be very VERY comfortable.

I actually think that all the press that DickLe Beau is getting might make most teams believe that BMac is a system guy... I'd like for every team to believe that...

i dont know. how can they not have any concept of money? if it is due to the fact that most players grow up poor than they would value money a lot more. then you wouldnt have players blowing money on material things and stupid stuff like making it rain at strip clubs :lol:

RussBII
01-30-2009, 03:09 PM

i dont know. how can they not have any concept of money? if it is due to the fact that most players grow up poor than they would value money a lot more. then you wouldnt have players blowing money on material things and stupid stuff like making it rain at strip clubs :lol:

The growing up poor just exacerbates it, I would imgaine.. You've never paid an electricity bill in your life right? You go to school, still are completely coddled, then BOOM you make millions of dollars. You still never see a bill, because its all taken care of you. How do you know what 4 million dollars actually equates to? As a kid you never saw that X amount of dollars =s Y amount of stuff. Plus, when you start out broke 4 million dollars seems like it will never ever run out...Then it does...

stlrz d
01-30-2009, 03:10 PM
It appears to me what is lost on some of you is perspective.

It's not like these guys are going from a $40k/yr job to a $70k/yr job.

You can live just as well on $2 million/yr as you can on $4 million/yr. And still set yourself up for life.

It's all about that "getting paid = respect" BS.

Lets look at another angle...how much jack do you think a guy makes for appearances when he can sign his name to something and add HoF after it?

Short term greed is what drives too many of these players. It's a cash grab. Nothing more.

feltdizz
01-30-2009, 03:15 PM
I read a great story on players and the election.... a lot of players say they are Dems who vote GOP cause of their wallets...

one player made a great point though... he said I was poor all my life and I have been rich for 3 or 4 years... how can I act like certain things don't matter based on a tax bracket?

Then there is the ultimate line...

MONEY doesn't change you, it just makes you more of what you already are

I would take the big dollars unless they were wrapped up in fake incentives... I think signing bonus trumps all.

people say winning is everything but that's only to the fans IMO... when you make that much are you really a loser?

Djfan
01-30-2009, 03:15 PM
Wish I could grab cash!

feltdizz
01-30-2009, 03:21 PM
The growing up poor just exacerbates it, I would imgaine.. You've never paid an electricity bill in your life right? You go to school, still are completely coddled, then BOOM you make millions of dollars. You still never see a bill, because its all taken care of you. How do you know what 4 million dollars actually equates to? As a kid you never saw that X amount of dollars =s Y amount of stuff. Plus, when you start out broke 4 million dollars seems like it will never ever run out...Then it does...

I don't know... poor is poor and growing up poor as a kid never leaves you mindset. Some use that to go to the extreme and spend while others hoard their cash and never spend it... which is also no fun.

But look at Madoff and his scheme. I bet a bunch of people he ripped off were "responsible with their money" having a financial advisor means little if they are ripping you off too... you have to hire a guy to watch the guy you hired to watch your money... all while trying to watch it yourself.

frankthetank1
01-30-2009, 03:21 PM
I read a great story on players and the election.... a lot of players say they are Dems who vote GOP cause of their wallets...

one player made a great point though... he said I was poor all my life and I have been rich for 3 or 4 years... how can I act like certain things don't matter based on a tax bracket?

I would take the big dollars unless they were wrapped up in fake incentives... I think signing bonus trumps all.

people say winning is everything but that's only to the fans IMO... when you make that much are you really a loser?

wow that is a great line. i have never thought of it that way but it is more true than money changing a person. it can reveal what a person really is about. there are other factors i think. im sure there are players that dont like pittsburgh and if you have already won a super bowl then that might change a players perspective as well.

stlrz d
01-30-2009, 03:26 PM

I find that to be hypocritical. Many of them grew up with nothing and survived due to the system. Then they "get paid" and eschew the system.

feltdizz
01-30-2009, 03:26 PM

You can live just as well on $2 million/yr as you can on $4 million/yr. And still set yourself up for life.

Lets look at another angle...how much jack do you think a guy makes for appearances when he can sign his name to something and add HoF after it?

Short term greed is what drives too many of these players. It's a cash grab. Nothing more.

But it is all numbers to them... it's all about fair market as well... why should my employer keep an extra 2 mill from me if I know I'm helping fill the seats? I look out and my jersey is everywhere?

FU pay me... I also see it like Jay Z said in one of his songs...
Pay me what you owe us....I'm charging you for what you did to the "Cold Crush"

basically owners have tried to screw players since the beginning of time... FU pay me...

Iron Shiek
01-30-2009, 03:28 PM

But it is all numbers to them... it's all about fair market as well... why should my employer keep an extra 2 mill from me if I know I'm helping fill the seats? I look out and my jersey is everywhere?

FU pay me... I also see it like Jay Z said in one of his songs...
Pay me what you owe us....I'm charging you for what you did to the "Cold Crush"

basically owners have tried to screw players since the beginning of time... FU pay me...

Great Jay Z reference. Anytime I think of players, contracts or the movie jerry mcguire, I think of that skit of his (from Black Album?)...F U Pay me is what many of these players are all about. Gotta agree. And if they aren't, somehow Drew Rosenhaus wiggles into their lives and brainwashes them.

stlrz d
01-30-2009, 03:29 PM
I'll tell you something...greed is not good. Greed is why other countries laugh at us, mock us and hate us.

Greed is part of the reasons why 9/11 took place.

We are a greedy, materialistic nation and it is exemplified in professional sports just as much as it is in the corporate world.

Until we, as a society, change our opinions about "getting paid" things will continue as they are now. I don't know about you but I don't think that's a good thing.

feltdizz
01-30-2009, 03:31 PM

wow that is a great line. i have never thought of it that way but it is more true than money changing a person. it can reveal what a person really is about. there are other factors i think. im sure there are players that dont like pittsburgh and if you have already won a super bowl then that might change a players perspective as well.

I have a friend who works out in LA in music, he is making great money and when he came to visit in NYC he was a pure a$$$ just talked about drugs and the "life".... every thing I said he tried to tie it back to his success...

I almost took it personal until I thought about it.. HE WAS ALWAYS AN AZZZ!!! LOL!!!
I love him as a friend but he was always an egotistical jerk... and it's obvious he isn't happy.

I just kept singing that line in my head while I watched him walking around NYC with sunglasses on at night!

frankthetank1
01-30-2009, 03:34 PM
I'll tell you something...greed is not good. Greed is why other countries laugh at us, mock us and hate us.

We are a greedy, materialistic nation and it is exemplified in professional sports just as much as it is in the corporate world.

Until we, as a society, change our opinions about "getting paid" things will continue as they are now. I don't know about you but I don't think that's a good thing.

i agree 100% that is a lot of why other countries hate us. i hate it and im a us citizen and love this country more than anything. i would be willing to bet there isnt nearly the amount of "classism" in other countries than ours.

frankthetank1
01-30-2009, 03:36 PM

I have a friend who works out in LA in music, he is making great money and when he came to visit in NYC he was a pure a$$$ just talked about drugs and the "life".... every thing I said he tried to tie it back to his success...

I almost took it personal until I thought about it.. HE WAS ALWAYS AN AZZZ!!! LOL!!!
I love him as a friend but he was always an egotistical jerk... and it's obvious he isn't happy.

I just kept singing that line in my head while I watched him walking around NYC with sunglasses on at night!

haha that is too funny. oh god i know the type. i use to have a friend a lot like that. huge ego and all he cared about was his money and flaunting it. he must of really hated himself and must have been very miserable

feltdizz
01-30-2009, 03:36 PM

Dude it's a terrible thing... but I love football and I love the Steelers.
Ben signed for over $100 million.... does he really need that much? No.. is he worth it? Yes.

We fail to see how much is generated and look at a player wanting a few more mill as greed. But it's only because there is usually a few more mill out there....

But you know what really frustrates me more then greed in football?
Ugh boots and people carrying dogs around. :wft

Seriously.. I would want to go to war with us if I saw that on my widescreen TV while in I'm in a cave eating rocks...

stlrz d
01-30-2009, 03:38 PM

i agree 100% that is a lot of why other countries hate us. i hate it and im a us citizen and love this country more than anything. i would be willing to bet there isnt nearly the amount of "classism" in other countries than ours.

I have gone to school with and worked with folks from other countries. I've gone to school with and worked with people who have lived in other countries.

They all say the same thing...the US has it all wrong. I love this country too and would like to see it get better.

Becoming far less greedy would work wonders for this great country of ours.

papillon
01-30-2009, 03:40 PM
There's a reason a lot of athletes move to Florida as their primary residence. They get a raise without having to do anything, because, there's no state income tax, unless, that has changed in the past few years. Can any of you Floridians confirm or deny the state income tax situation in Florida?

Pappy

feltdizz
01-30-2009, 03:41 PM

not true...

an india they have a class system and if you even touch the lowest class you are seen as one of them.

the saddest thing is most colonized countries like India, Argentina, South Africa etc... have a class system much worse then ours... it's how you defeat a country.. put the people against themselves while you rule over them.

kinda like Dems and GOP. we fight while Washington spends our money.

this is a weird way to spend a friday before a SB.... I see we are all just doing what we can to keep time moving forward. LOL!

stlrz d
01-30-2009, 03:42 PM
There's a reason a lot of athletes move to Florida as their primary residence. They get a raise without having to do anything, because, there's no state income tax, unless, that has changed in the past few years. Can any of you Floridians confirm or deny the state income tax situation in Florida?

Pappy

My brother lives there. No state income tax.

But the players have to pay state tax wherever they play on the road...if there is state tax.

Because, technically the money was earned in that state.

feltdizz
01-30-2009, 03:43 PM

Pappy

I think it's the same but they may be tweaking it due to the downturn...
I know you can get assets in Florida so I could see players moving there to make sure the wife/girlfriend doesn't get everything.

OJ!!!

mshifko
01-30-2009, 05:41 PM
i'd hate to see b-mac walk...he's a great talent and with ike, we have 2 solid corners...william gay has impressed, but b-mac is tough...we have to keep him

Chavezz
01-30-2009, 06:21 PM

I know. Best thing we could do is sign him to an extension now, overall deal will be less because he'd be getting him money 2 years sooner than expected.

BMAC is gone, no question in my mind. And really, what has he done to warrent a huge CB contract.

Dunta Robinson is a FA too I believe.

stlrz d
01-30-2009, 06:44 PM

Ben signed for over $100 million.... does he really need that much? No.. is he worth it? Yes.

We fail to see how much is generated and look at a player wanting a few more mill as greed. But it's only because there is usually a few more mill out there....

Seriously.. I would want to go to war with us if I saw that on my widescreen TV while in I'm in a cave eating rocks...

Missed this post since I didn't scroll up after my posts.

The only thing that made me happy about Ben's contract is that they locked him up long term.

I don't believe any human being, regardless of what they do, is worth that kind of money.

Perhaps I'm overly idealistic in my beliefs but I think this country would be a much better place if there wasn't such a huge, vacuous gap between the haves and have nots.

SteelerOfDeVille
01-30-2009, 07:23 PM
does a sb appearance (2nd in his short career) and possibly a sb win lower bmacs price as a fa? i doubt it does, but if i were him why would i want to leave a sb caliber team with not too old of a team for a team on the same level as the bills lions or any other crap team. i know money is probably most important to most nfl players but how much does winning mean to most players?
actually, IMO, it wouldn't have any impact. If anything, it would adversly affect the chances of the Steelers resigning him. Once you've won a couple, i could see making a move for $$.

And if he comes up big in the SB (like SB MVP with 2 picks or something),then that's all she wrote.

Quite frankly, I don't see why a guy wouldn't try to make enough to set him and his family for life off the next contract. It only makes sense. Most of us would - especially if we weren't particulay fans of the team...

In other words, LETS SUPPOSE... YOU (steelers fan) were drafted by random team... say, the Broncos, mid-2nd round. First contract is up, you've won 2 super bowls, but, you make like $500k per year. While that's certainly not bad money, it's also not going to "set you for life".

If the current team offered "within the same range" of the other team, then cool. But, if the Broncos offered $10 million and someone else offered $25 million, then it's just dumb to turn it down.

SteelerOfDeVille
01-30-2009, 07:28 PM
[quote="stlrz d":2p5lkuqx]I'll tell you something...greed is not good. Greed is why other countries laugh at us, mock us and hate us.

Missed this post since I didn't scroll up after my posts.

The only thing that made me happy about Ben's contract is that they locked him up long term.

I don't believe any human being, regardless of what they do, is worth that kind of money.

Perhaps I'm overly idealistic in my beliefs but I think this country would be a much better place if there wasn't such a huge, vacuous gap between the haves and have nots.[/quote:2p5lkuqx]
here's the thing... WE are the reason they get paid that much. Like it or not, everything from buying the Sunday ticket to a Steelers Jersey to buying actual tickets to the games generates revenue to the organization. They owners pay it because they have it to pay. They have it to pay because WE make it so. Think of how many millions of fans they have... and how many of us spend hundreds or thousands of $$ on our team each year.

If you don't think these guys are worth that kind of money stop giving 'em money. :twisted:

We'll update you from time to time on this msg board with scores . :lol:

stlrz d
01-30-2009, 07:31 PM
SoD I think you missed my point. Greed starts at the top. That would be the league and the owners.

Believe me, if I didn't have such a passion for football I wouldn't be giving them my money. The NBA and MLB don't get my money. Well, MLB occasionally but that's only because it's the best deal going from a sports standpoint. And usually, if I go to a MLB game it's because I got the tickets for free.

SteelerOfDeVille
01-30-2009, 07:44 PM
SoD I think you missed my point. Greed starts at the top. That would be the league and the owners.

Believe me, if I didn't have such a passion for football I wouldn't be giving them my money. The NBA and MLB don't get my money. Well, MLB occasionally but that's only because it's the best deal going from a sports standpoint. And usually, if I go to a MLB game it's because I got the tickets for free.
I hear you and to an extent, I agree.

But, in any business, your goal is to make it better for your stockholders... I'm not so sure that it's greed as it is "improving upon your business". Players ask for more, we have to charge more because our margins are shrinking...