PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin named Motorola Coach of the Year!

stlrz d
01-29-2009, 12:02 PM
No link yet. Just saw it on NFLN.

Yes Sir!

:tt2

Discipline of Steel
01-29-2009, 12:05 PM
At least they waited until Super Bowl week to pick this award. Otherwise we would have ended up with Atlantas coach or Jeff Fischer or some other dork.

Oviedo
01-29-2009, 12:07 PM
What does he get? A new mop and bucket so he can be a better "overpaid janitor?'

In the face of all the haters out there who ripped this guy. Tomlin will prove to be the best coach this franchise has had and will retire with the best winning % of any Steelers coach.

grotonsteel
01-29-2009, 12:19 PM
Congratulations Mike Tomlin..!!!!!!!!! :tt2 :tt2 :tt2

rpmpit
01-29-2009, 12:21 PM
Sweet!!! Congrats Coach!!!!

:tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :tt2

Iron Shiek
01-29-2009, 12:22 PM
What does he get? A new mop and bucket so he can be a better "overpaid janitor?'

In the face of all the haters out there who ripped this guy. Tomlin will prove to be the best coach this franchise has had and will retire with the best winning % of any Steelers coach.

Ha! Awesome!! I think they will just give him an unlimited supply of Sham-wows and Swiffers.

YES SIR!!!! Eff all the :Hater s

pfelix73
01-29-2009, 12:24 PM
:tt1

Congratulations Coach.

ground-n-pound
01-29-2009, 12:29 PM
How deserving. Congrats to Tomlin. Bring home the trophy and there will be no doubt why he won Coach of the Year.

stlrz d
01-29-2009, 12:30 PM
At least they waited until Super Bowl week to pick this award. Otherwise we would have ended up with Atlantas coach or Jeff Fischer or some other dork.

The AP awards are regular season awards.

True Fan
01-29-2009, 12:32 PM

let's see what happens when his contract is up

Sugar
01-29-2009, 01:48 PM
Great news- congrats Coach Tomlin! I'm sure he will tell all that his mission is not yet completed, but it's nice to get the props anyway.

Iron Shiek
01-29-2009, 02:15 PM
521,000 votes came in...we all had to have at least 2000 attributed to us for Coach T! :tt2

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/01/29/tomlin-wins-motorola-coach-of-the-year-award/

TOMLIN WINS MOTOROLA COACH OF THE YEAR AWARD
Posted by Mike Florio on January 29, 2009, 11:19 a.m. EST
Steelers coach Mike Tomlin, who navigated his team through a crippling schedule to a 12-4 record an a berth in the Super Bowl, received not a single vote for the Associated Press coach of the year award.

But Tomlin has been named the 2008 Motorola Coach of the Year.

More than 521,000 fans voted for Tomlin on NFL.com from January 7 through 21. And so, unlike the AP system influenced exclusively by regular-season performance, Tomlinís candidacy undoubtedly was buoyed by the teamís playoff run.

The other finalists were Tom Coughlin of the Giants, Jeff Fisher of the Titans, John Harbaugh of the Ravens, Mike Smith of the Falcons, and Tony Sparano of the Dolphins.

Smith and Sparano received most of the votes for the AP version of the award, with Bill Belichick of the Patriots and Jeff Fisher of the Titans receiving one vote each.

MeetJoeGreene
01-29-2009, 02:18 PM

It really would cause you great physical pain to just say something nice or congratulate a Steelers coach, wouldn't it.

Oviedo
01-29-2009, 02:19 PM
Not surprising the same classless individuals who have "invented" reasosn to rip Tomlin for two years can't "man up" and give him credit for the exceptional job he has done. They then still try to tell you they are "Steelers fans" but their true colors transparently come out and their real agendas are clear.

fezziwig
01-29-2009, 02:20 PM
he deseved it

RuthlessBurgher
01-29-2009, 02:25 PM

I'll take a guess...he gets an extension before his contract is up. What do I win?

papillon
01-29-2009, 02:31 PM

Just man-up and be done with it instead of continuing to try and drum up reasons to hate the man. He's done a great job in the two years he's been the coach of the Steelers. The Steelers have won 67% of their games with Tomlin as coach, two playoff appearances, and an AFCC and a berth in the Superbowl.

Win, lose or draw in the Superbowl that's a hell of start to a career.

Pappy

Djfan
01-29-2009, 02:39 PM
Belicheat?! He voted for himself!

He's more of a tool than a guy who promised to change his name but refuses to because he is actually just a hater, and doesn't know how to live otherwise.

LasVegasGuy
01-29-2009, 02:51 PM

Yes Sir!

A bit premature don't you think? How can anyone deny Whiz "coach of the year" honors if he beats Tomlin for a 2nd time and in the Super Bowl no less? Hasn't Whiz done more with less and did anyone really see the Cardinals making the Super Bowl this year? That alone deserves some consideration. Of Course, I don't expect you to agree with any of this.

I think the winner of the Super Bowl this year is clearly deserving of "coach of the year" honors and the award should have waited.

Steeler Shades
01-29-2009, 03:05 PM
A bit premature don't you think? How can anyone deny Whiz "coach of the year" honors if he beats Tomlin for a 2nd time and in the Super Bowl no less? Hasn't Whiz done more with less and did anyone really see the Cardinals making the Super Bowl this year? That alone deserves some consideration. Of Course, I don't expect you to agree with any of this.

I think the winner of the Super Bowl this year is clearly deserving of "coach of the year" honors and the award should have waited.
Excellent post. Both are deserving but the winner of the SB would have an edge IMHO. 8)

LasVegasGuy
01-29-2009, 03:17 PM

Excellent post. Both are deserving but the winner of the SB would have an edge IMHO. 8)

I will still take heat for it. In my opinion, if Tomlin can't beat the guy he beat out for the Steelers job then I would be embarassed to accept the award after seeing what Whiz has done with the Cardinals.

If Tomlin and the Steelers win the Super Bowl then their is no debate and Tomlin should showcase the award with pride.

stlrz d
01-29-2009, 03:22 PM
Once more for the perpetually indignant:

It's an effing internet fan vote. Steelers fans everywhere probably voted numerous times. It's simply something fun for the fans.

STFU already.

Sheesh.

Djfan
01-29-2009, 03:33 PM
What are you trying to say D?

stlrz d
01-29-2009, 03:35 PM

I'm guessing you figured it out. :P

Djfan
01-29-2009, 03:37 PM

I don't miss too many things.

LasVegasGuy
01-29-2009, 03:46 PM

I don't miss too many things.

You two are so cute together. Like a kitten cuddled up to a dog. Then I guess the internet voting should wait until after the Super Bowl.

http://z.about.com/d/vetmedicine/1/0/U/7/WuffyKittenPlay.jpg

Djfan
01-29-2009, 03:48 PM
D's the kitten!

True Fan
01-29-2009, 03:52 PM

It really would cause you great physical pain to just say something nice or congratulate a Steelers coach, wouldn't it.[/quot

not really. it just seems humorous to me that a 'true fan' can claim tomlin to be the greatest steeler coach ever and the winningest just after 2 seasons. i too am excited that the steelers are in the position to win a sixth superbowl, but not giddy enough to think that he will remain a steeler for the next 10 yars and not be pursuaded by several owners deep pockets.

stlrz d
01-29-2009, 04:00 PM
D's the kitten!

I've got a message for him.

http://bigdoglittledog.net/store/images/kitty.jpg

LasVegasGuy
01-29-2009, 04:01 PM
not really. it just seems humorous to me that a 'true fan' can claim tomlin to be the greatest steeler coach ever and the winningest just after 2 seasons. i too am excited that the steelers are in the position to win a sixth superbowl, but not giddy enough to think that he will remain a steeler for the next 10 yars and not be pursuaded by several owners deep pockets.

Let's see how he does once LeBeau is gone? Could be a difference of night and day for the soon to be winningest coach in Steelers history.

Before STLRZD gets crunk I said could be a difference.

RuthlessBurgher
01-29-2009, 04:22 PM

It really would cause you great physical pain to just say something nice or congratulate a Steelers coach, wouldn't it.[/quot

The Rooneys were never cheap regarding coach salaries. Cowher was always compensated among the highest paid coaches in the league. Plus, you think a guy as smart as Tomlin would choose to coach for an unstable owner like Jerry Jones or Dan Snyder for a few dollars more? I think the Steeler head coaching job is widely regarded as the most sought-after coaching gig in all of pro football (and the stability the Rooney's provide have a lot to do with that...that's worth much more than moving somewhere where the billionaire owner will be meddlesome with your roster, etc.)

MeetJoeGreene
01-29-2009, 04:54 PM

Yes Sir!

Three things....

I wouldn't have been unhappy with Whiz winning coach of the year. You, however, appear to be unhappy that Tomlin was even CONSIDEREDED for coach of the year.

By your logic, there shouldn't be a coach of the year, correct? The Super Bowl winning coach IS the Coach of the year.

You REALLY have your anti-Tomlin blinders on if you think that Tomlin didn't accomplish much -- with the toughness of schedule and all of the injuries that occurred along the way.

LasVegasGuy
01-29-2009, 05:10 PM

Yes Sir!

Three things....

I wouldn't have been unhappy with Whiz winning coach of the year. You, however, appear to be unhappy that Tomlin was even CONSIDEREDED for coach of the year.

By your logic, there shouldn't be a coach of the year, correct? The Super Bowl winning coach IS the Coach of the year.

You REALLY have your anti-Tomlin blinders on if you think that Tomlin didn't accomplish much -- with the toughness of schedule and all of the injuries that occurred along the way.

Dude, I expect STLRZD not to get it but you too?

First off where did I say I was unhappy that Tomlin was even nominated. O.K. End of story on that one.

Second we have 2 very qualified "coach of the year" candidates that happen to be playing each other in the Super Bowl. Do you think the winner of the Super Bowl this year should clearly be coach of the year hands down? If you say No it's Tomlin all the way then I am obviously not dealing with a football fan.

Never did I say the Super Bowl winning coach should always be the coach of the year that would be ridiculous. If Tomlins' Steelers were playing Reids' Eagles then there would be no debate win or lose for what Tomlin accomplished this year he deserves the honor. But because Tomlin is going up against Whiz, who has taken a sorry excuse for a team to the Super Bowl, this award could go either way and the Super Bowl winner would and should be the overwhelming favorite.

Third nobody said Tomlin hasn't accomplished much, in my estimation he has accomplished more then I thought he would at the beggining of the year.

eniparadoxgma
01-29-2009, 05:14 PM

Give it a rest, ffs. And change your stupid name. JFC.

eniparadoxgma
01-29-2009, 05:16 PM

I see you two's point. However, as a Steeler fan I'm not disappointed Tomlin got it.

Props, Mr. T!

Steeler Shades
01-29-2009, 05:22 PM
"Once more for the perpetually indignant:" 8)

First off where did I say I was unhappy that Tomlin was even nominated. O.K. End of story on that one.

Second we have 2 very qualified "coach of the year" candidates that happen to be playing each other in the Super Bowl. Do you think the winner of the Super Bowl this year should clearly be coach of the year hands down? If you say No it's Tomlin all the way then I am obviously not dealing with a football fan.

Never did I say the Super Bowl winning coach should always be the coach of the year that would be ridiculous. If Tomlins' Steelers were playing Reids' Eagles then there would be no debate win or lose for what Tomlin accomplished this year he deserves the honor. But because Tomlin is going up against Whiz, who has taken a sorry excuse for a team to the Super Bowl, this award could go either way and the Super Bowl winner would and should be the overwhelming favorite.

Third nobody said Tomlin hasn't accomplished much, in my estimation he has accomplished more then I thought he would at the beggining of the year.

RuthlessBurgher
01-29-2009, 05:22 PM
The real coach of the year (the actual AP vote, not the internet fan popularity contest vote) was Mike Smith of the Falcons. That was the right choice in my opinion. Look at the disarray the Falcons were in with their previous coach leaving mid-season, their franchise player in federal prison, etc. And they amazingly made the playoffs. The only other guy I would have considered was Tony Sparano, and he came in second. 1-15 to 11-5 and a playoff berth. Enough said. Second year head coaches Tomlin and Whisenhunt both had good years, but they were not even close to the unbelieveable turn-around jobs pulled off by rookie head coaches Smith and Sparano.

mshifko
01-29-2009, 05:29 PM
congrats tomlin...well deserved...i voted

stlrz d
01-29-2009, 05:34 PM

Indignant back peddling.

Dude is a Tomlin hater plain and simple. I joined the trib board shortly before the Cards game last season. He was spewing his "Rooney Rule" hate then and no one with even half a brain believes his opinion has changed.

eniparadoxgma
01-29-2009, 05:52 PM
So this isn't the real "Coach of the Year" award? What the hell is the point of having multiple awards for the same damn thing? I must have forgotten about the Atlanta coach's award because it's the friggin Falcons.

So...this is just an internet-based popularity contest type of thing? Well, I guess good for Tomlin, but I don't particularly care.

Anyhow, carry on.

Discipline of Steel
01-29-2009, 05:55 PM
I dont think Whiz deserves consideration for coach of the year, and this has nothing to do with Tomlin. His team was 9-7 with six wins in a weak division. 3-7 outside his division??? Not my pick for coach of the year.

LasVegasGuy
01-29-2009, 05:57 PM

[quote=LasVegasGuy]First off where did I say I was unhappy that Tomlin was even nominated. O.K. End of story on that one.

Indignant back peddling.

Dude is a Tomlin hater plain and simple. I joined the trib board shortly before the Cards game last season. He was spewing his "Rooney Rule" hate then and no one with even half a brain believes his opinion has changed.[/quote:ohly9x5i]

Dude is a STLRZD hater plain and simple. And by the way I'm not backpeddling F$&KFACE! I still think the Steelers overlooked Whiz to hire Tomlin.

LasVegasGuy
01-29-2009, 06:00 PM
I dont think Whiz deserves consideration for coach of the year, and this has nothing to do with Tomlin. His team was 9-7 with six wins in a weak division. 3-7 outside his division??? Not my pick for coach of the year.

Good argument, makes alot of sense.

stlrz d
01-29-2009, 06:02 PM
So this isn't the real "Coach of the Year" award? What the hell is the point of having multiple awards for the same damn thing? I must have forgotten about the Atlanta coach's award because it's the friggin Falcons.

So...this is just an internet-based popularity contest type of thing? Well, I guess good for Tomlin, but I don't particularly care.

Anyhow, carry on.

Yes, that's why it's so comical to see the Tomlin haters get so worked up over something that is meant to be fun and for the fans.

eniparadoxgma
01-29-2009, 06:09 PM

Anyhow, carry on.

Yes, that's why it's so comical to see the Tomlin haters get so worked up over something that is meant to be fun and for the fans.

IT SHOULD'VE BEEN JEFF FISHER!!!!!!11111

BLARGHLEFLARGHLENARGLEDARGLE!!!!!!!111111111111111 1111 :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Chadman
01-29-2009, 06:17 PM
Why are we argueing over Tomlin winning an award for his efforts 3 days before the Super Bowl?

Some of you guys just look to argue over something- anything, won't you?

JAR
01-29-2009, 06:30 PM
hey LVG, Whiz wasn't even nominated. The nominations came after the regular the season ended. Tomlin 21-4, Whiz 9-7.

Tomlin was selected as 2008 Motorola NFL Coach of the Year from among six finalists by voters on NFL.com. The other finalists were head coaches Tom Coughlin of the New York Giants, Jeff Fisher of the Tennessee Titans, John Harbaugh of the Baltimore Ravens, Mike Smith of the Atlanta Falcons and Tony Sparano of the Miami Dolphins.

eniparadoxgma
01-29-2009, 07:24 PM
Why are we argueing over Tomlin winning an award for his efforts 3 days before the Super Bowl?

Some of you guys just look to argue over something- anything, won't you?

Who are those ugly chicks in your sig?

:)

AngryAsian
01-29-2009, 07:39 PM

Yes Sir!

Three things....

LVG,

I'll only chime in on one point you continually make, that IMO, is a stretch. You keep making this assertion that Whiz came in and found this "Detroit Lions-esque" team in Arizona. To my knowledge, with the exception of Dominque Rodgers-Cromartie, practically every skill position or premiere player on the AZ squad were all there 2-3 years before 2007, the year Whiz took over the team. Warner, Fitzgerald, Boldin, Edge, Dansby, Dockett, A. Wilson, A. Rolle, Okeafer, Hayes, Lutui, Wells, Rackers.... all starters and all were Cardinals Pre-Whiz.

The talent was their it just took the right coach. Whiz has done an amazing job. Was he a better choice over Tomlin? We'll never know because Whiz took his name out of contention for the Steelers Job before the interview process even began for the Steelers. AZ wanted an answer there and now, and Whiz took it. Both coaches are deserving of great praise and regardless of what others on this board may believe... I know you are a Steeler fan first and foremost and being so, I know you are a Tomlin fan as well.

You just aren't going to admit it. My post was made because the only thing I really disagree with what you are saying above is that Whiz happen upon this pathetic excuse of a team, devoid of talent and by some magic he turned them into a winner. The talent was there, Whiz's great skills as a coach made them a winner without a doubt. I just don't agree that "he had to work with less."

D Rock
01-29-2009, 07:43 PM
WOOOOOOOO!!!

YES SIR!

:Bow

MeetJoeGreene
01-29-2009, 09:57 PM

Yes Sir!

Three things....

When he was nominated - either you or ADG were griping about him being on the ballot. And making fun of people for voting for him. IF that was adg and not you then I apologize. The fact still remains.... you just don't like Tomlin and can't get over the fact that we didn't get Whiz.

I sort of get it. I wanted Whiz... but I am over it...