PDA

View Full Version : No Steelers parade???

proudpittsburgher
01-29-2009, 11:52 AM
I saw a story from WPXI (through a link from theterribleblog.com that says a parade is unlikely is the Steelers win. I can't find a story anywhere else on this. Has anyone else heard anything? My plan, should/if/when the Steelers win on Sunday, was to plunk the family in the car and make the trip to the Burgh on Monday, to catch the parade on Tuesday. Need some insider help on this. Would be very, very dissappointed if there is no parade after a win.

Link to the story below from WPXI. Note: I'm in media, so I know that local television news isn't always all that trustworthy, but you never know.

http://www.wpxi.com/sports/18589340/detail.html

Discipline of Steel
01-29-2009, 12:06 PM
I happened to catch Pittsburgh's mayor on ESPN (very young guy!) and he did make mention of a victory parade should we win. Fear not!

JAR
01-29-2009, 12:18 PM
If they don't have a parade, I guess they'll have a riot. Which is safer? :)

City Sources Say There Will Be No Parade If Steelers Win Super Bowl
Wednesday, January 28, 2009 updated: 7:18 pm EST January 28, 2009

PITTSBURGH -- City sources told Channel 11's Alan Jennings on Wednesday that if the Steelers win the Super Bowl, there won't be a parade in Pittsburgh.

Concerns are that the cost would be a budget buster and the parade would cause safety issues. The last parade drew a quarter million people into the Golden Triangle and was a public safety nightmare.

Steelers fans Jennings spoke with said there has to be a parade.

"I'm for celebrating the Steelers," said Steelers fan David Lineburg.

In 2006, the Steelers Super Bowl win was done in great fanfare. Thousands jammed Pittsburgh for the parade. Toni Gentile was there.

"I was right next to Highmark. I'll never forget it," said Gentile.

Some fans created a safety havoc by running up to the vehicles carrying the players. Crowd control was a challenge.

Copyright 2009 by WPXI.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

http://www.wpxi.com/sports/18589340/detail.html

pfelix73
01-29-2009, 12:27 PM
Problem is....

Forecasts are for a major storm early next week. That storm may have an influence in decision-making.....

I would guess they would at least have something inside Heinz, which is what they should have done 3 years ago....... have the parade, just end it inside Heinz.