View Full Version : S'tonio says he "sold drugs"

Mel Blount's G
01-29-2009, 12:30 AM
Hope this isn't old news here. Says it was posted 2 hours ago

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs2008/news/story?id=3867829

As youth, Steelers' Holmes sold drugs
Comment Email Print
Associated Press
TAMPA, Fla. -- Steelers wide receiver Santonio Holmes' childhood was much like that of any other youngster in rural south Florida. He played backyard football. Chased squirrels. Ran around with his friends.
This was different: Despite being a promising athlete, Holmes also spent a year selling drugs on a street corner in his small hometown.

He chose to make his surprising admission at the Super Bowl, knowing millions of impressionable youngsters will be closely following the game and its players. By revealing his secret, Holmes hopes he may persuade other at-risk youth to choose a path that leads to the athletic field and a classroom, not to a detention center or a jail cell.

"I've only told three or four people about it," Holmes said Wednesday. "I feel it's time to share things. I'm on the biggest stage, everybody's going to be watching. I'm pretty sure some kids can get a feel for changing their lives and not doing those type of things, and can get an opportunity to get out of the ghetto, the 'hood, to be successful."
Holmes, who initially made the admission in an interview with the Miami Herald, became exposed to the lifestyle while growing up in Belle Glade, Fla. Some family members and friends made money selling drugs, he said, and he found it an easy way to make money, too, though he didn't specify exactly what he sold.
Holmes avoided detection by his mother by going to school, then leaving and going to the street corner. He and his family didn't need the money for food or essentials, and he used it mostly on gifts for himself, like shoes.

"My friends were always doing it and I felt comfortable doing it at the time," Holmes said. "As the years grew older, I just felt like that wasn't what I wanted to do. I wanted to play football. I don't want to end up like a lot of my friends, in jail, standing on the corner, not going to school."
Several pivotal events turned Holmes away from selling and pushed him to football, where he starred as Glades Central High won Florida state titles during his sophomore and junior seasons and went 12-1 during his senior season.
Holmes and his mother became worried as they repeatedly returned home to find bullet holes or broken locks in their apartment. Another time, Holmes' mother found cocaine in the youngster's dump truck. That seemed to be what prompted her to relocate to another area.

The move, Holmes said, was pivotal in turning his life around.

"It made me who I am today. If I had continued down that path, I wouldn't be here," he said. "At times, going back home during the offseason or my free time, that's the main time I think about it. But I saw how much of a struggle I had to go through, my mother had to go through and I don't want to wish that on anybody," Holmes said.
After high school ball, he starred at Ohio State for three seasons before being the Steelers' first-round draft pick in 2006. Holmes has been one of their key offensive players this season, making 55 catches for 821 yards and five touchdowns. He has two touchdowns in two postseason games.

On Super Bowl media day, Holmes told a different story about his childhood.

"Belle Glade, it's probably one of the smallest towns here in Florida, and we didn't have much to do there. There's a high school, a couple of elementary schools and a middle school," he said. "We chase rabbits for a living. We did it for fun, but for the majority of the people we know, we did it for survival. I can remember it clearly that up until my sophomore year of high school, that's what I did. Every Saturday and every Sunday after church, that's what we would do: We would go rabbit hunting."
Earlier this season, Holmes was benched for an important game against the Giants for being involved in a drug-related case. He was charged with possession of a small amount of marijuana after police found marijuana-filled cigars in his car after a traffic stop.

Holmes said that incident doesn't signal a return to his past.

"It happens, being in the wrong place at the wrong time, not being responsible, being around people that aren't responsible enough to respect what I do," Holmes said. "I knew what my path was like before, and I didn't want to go down that path again."

Mister Pittsburgh
01-29-2009, 12:57 AM
I think he is trying to do the right thing......let go of the past......maybe he felt fake as a really wealthy star while thinking about the way he used to be and wanted to let those demons out. We all have them.....

bostonsteeler
01-29-2009, 01:01 AM
Tonio is trying to set things right. Good for him. I think some of the Tomlin character may be rubbing off on him. It always helps these troubled kids to have strong, high-character people around as mentors.

Mel Blount's G
01-29-2009, 01:03 AM
I agree but I'm thinking after the SB or prior to the reg season mighta been a better time....FOR THE TEAM. I hear his reasoning but if we win I'm betting that "stage" will be there for a while for him. Even the possibility of a distraction annoys me. FOCUS!!!

steelafornia
01-29-2009, 03:02 AM
i feel it's good that he came thru hardship and came out on top, and he's trying to send a messages to our youth that there is always away out and another route to take in life... but unfortunately he's not a rapper where he can get away with this, he's in the national spotlight in a professional sport, and the sad thing is there are people that aren't gonna see it as a positive but see it as a negative. They won't let him go, especially after he was caught with weed, and if he had a big game this super bowl, this story is always going to be attached, as a negative not a positive. he should have came with this story wayy after the super bowl , some people may not agree, but i just have a feeling he's gonna get the bad end of this even if he meant good.

proudpittsburgher
01-29-2009, 06:50 AM
So did Bettis. He turned out ok. A lot of these players were brought up in less-than-stellar environments and had to do what they had to do to get by.

frankthetank1
01-29-2009, 09:08 AM
So did Bettis. He turned out ok. A lot of these players were brought up in less-than-stellar environments and had to do what they had to do to get by.

he did really? that is kinda suprising. but he is from detroit so i guess it isnt. belle glade is a sh$$ hole. im not suprised that holmes sold drugs. i am suprised it wasnt for food and clothes and he did it just for extra money. not what i expect from someone from belle glade.

SidSmythe
01-29-2009, 10:42 AM
It probably feels good for him to let it out.

I just hope his career is long and he invests his money wisely. cuz one bad injury, a bankruptcy could lead him right back to the streets.

stlrz d
01-29-2009, 11:37 AM
If this becomes a distraction then the Steelers have no business winning this game. Know what I mean?

Discipline of Steel
01-29-2009, 11:48 AM
If this becomes a distraction then the Steelers have no business winning this game. Know what I mean?

It is a minor distraction, having become a lead story on AOL. However, I still think we have a decent shot at winning.

I would have checked with the front office and perhaps my agent before letting a story like that out though. Then again, maybe he did...

stlrz d
01-29-2009, 11:50 AM
I don't think it's a big deal at all.

Two guys murdered in Atlanta is a big deal.

Perspective people.

ground-n-pound
01-29-2009, 12:41 PM
The media should be focused on what trouble other current players are getting in trouble for and not focusing on his past in a negative way. Maybe if reports would focus on how he positively changed his life they would take that route also. Being turned into something negative will only bring out the negative in our youth.

feltdizz
01-29-2009, 12:47 PM
while the timing is ehhh.... I also think it's no big deal.. it happened, why lie about it. He probably has been holding onto it for a minute now and I wouldn't be surprised if a childhood friend/hater back home may have been dangling this over his head...

best to be the one to reveal it then have some reporter drop it to make a name for themselves.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a writer or 2 from Detroit who just wasted a year collecting notes to break this story.

RuthlessBurgher
01-29-2009, 01:16 PM
while the timing is ehhh.... I also think it's no big deal.. it happened, why lie about it. He probably has been holding onto it for a minute now and I wouldn't be surprised if a childhood friend/hater back home may have been dangling this over his head...

best to be the one to reveal it then have some reporter drop it to make a name for themselves.

I wouldn't be surprised if there is a writer or 2 from Detroit who just wasted a year collecting notes to break this story.

Except Holmes is from Florida.

feltdizz
01-29-2009, 01:21 PM

Except Holmes is from Florida.

my bad.. I mixed the Bettis story and his up

flippy
01-29-2009, 04:26 PM
I don't like this story.

Especially considering Holmes got caught this season with weed in his car.

Clearly his addiction to weed is not behind him.

Maybe weed's the reason he didn't up his numbers over his second season and break out this year.

He really shouldn't have said anything.

He'd have had a bigger stage as a SuperBowl champ.

Imagine if he won the MVP.

He probably smoked before he let it slip.....

Jooser
01-29-2009, 04:40 PM
I applaud his courage for exorcising that demon the way he has. To admit something like that to another fellow man takes courage enough, but to do it like this - dude's got balls the size of church bells. Admitting this sort of thing promotes healing from within, and now he's a step closer to fulfilling his potential. Good for him!

RuthlessBurgher
01-29-2009, 05:09 PM
With a weight like that off his shoulders, he should be a able to fly like the wind come Sunday.

mshifko
01-29-2009, 05:31 PM
i've always been a big fan of tone, started with his days here in cbus...he's a great receiver who can make plays in the open field...

as for his past...lets be real here...there is a lot of this that goes on EVERYWHERE...hopefully he can put it all in the past and move on from his old days...

Djfan
01-29-2009, 06:08 PM
As for his past...lets be real here...there is a lot of this that goes on EVERYWHERE...hopefully he can put it all in the past and move on from his old days...

Well said. That's all that can be done, so it's the best route. We've all needed this in the past, huh?

Steelerphile
01-29-2009, 06:43 PM
The thing I can say about this is, honesty is always the best policy. I have a high regard for it. People can spin things however they want to. By making these statements about his past, in light of the fact that he was caught with drugs this year, I think he is putting a spotlight on himself and putting pressure on himself to renounce the drug lifestyle.

It may be an inner struggle that he is waging and hoping to get behind him. By making it all public, he knows the national scutiny will increase and help him to stay clean.

I sense he is a good-hearted person and hopes to be his best. I wish him well and hope he makes some big plays in the SuperBowl. He has a lot of talent.

NorthCoast
01-29-2009, 11:31 PM
“And the TRUTH shall set you free…”

feltdizz
01-30-2009, 12:01 PM
I don't like this story.

Maybe weed's the reason he didn't up his numbers over his second season and break out this year.

imagine if he won the MVP and the local news back home printed a story on Holmes past?
It is always better to tell your sin/past yourself then to let ESPN break the news...

I really think Holmes may have been scared another source would leak this...

regardless.... I bet he feels much better now.

frankthetank1
01-30-2009, 12:06 PM
I don't like this story.

imagine if he won the MVP and the local news back home printed a story on Holmes past?
It is always better to tell your sin/past yourself then to let ESPN break the news...

I really think Holmes may have been scared another source would leak this...

regardless.... I bet he feels much better now.

thats a very good point. regardless of if the story would get out anyways he told the truth and that is the most important thing. i hate liars. i had no problem with clinton getting a bj from some skank. the only thing that bothered me is he lied about it