PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Clark hopes to show off his hitting in Super Bowl

fordfixer
01-29-2009, 12:22 AM
By Steve Ginsburg
http://www.reuters.com/article/sportsNe ... 6V20090128 (http://www.reuters.com/article/sportsNews/idUSTRE50R76V20090128)

TAMPA, Florida (Reuters) - Pittsburgh Steelers free safety Ryan Clark is one of the NFL's fiercest hitters and hopes to put his specialty on display in the Super Bowl on Sunday.

Leveling one of the Arizona Cardinals' receivers early in the game could narrow the field for the Steelers' defense, Clark said on Wednesday.

"When you have guys as talented as they are a good hit can change the momentum of the game," he told reporters. "They get a couple of big plays over the top (and) it will have us on our heels.

"But if we come out there and get a good hit early, they might go back to their quarterback and say: 'You know, how about you don't throw the ball in there?'"

The 29-year-old Clark is only five-foot-11-inches and 205 pounds (93 kg) but is one of the most vicious hitters in the league.

"I'm not a very big guy, that's why I wear long-sleeve shirts most of the time," joked Clark, whose 113 tackles this season was second most on the Steelers. "I don't have any muscles.

"I can either be the hammer or the nail. And I try to be the hammer, the one doing the hitting. If you're the guy sitting back, waiting for him to come to you, there's going to be trouble."

Clark said that when making a good hit, "you just can't flinch."

"It's like playing chicken," he said. "When two guys are running full speed, somebody has to move. When somebody has to blink, if you don't, that's when you get those good hits."

CHILLING HIT

Clark's toughness was displayed during the AFC title game two weeks ago when he crashed into Baltimore Ravens running back Willis McGahee, who had just caught a pass over the middle.

The two collided with a helmet-to-helmet hit that silenced the crowd at Pittsburgh's Heinz Field. While McGahee lay on the field for nearly 15 minutes, Clark got up after about 90 seconds.

"I had a little blackout on impact," said Clark. "Once I was on the ground, I came to. (Team mate Troy Polamalu) asked me about 25 questions that I had no answer for.

"He asked me if I had a concussion and I said: 'How would I know?' I was dizzy, a little groggy. Head injuries make you emotional. Or maybe I was just happy we won the AFC championship."

McGahee spent the night in a Pittsburgh hospital but suffered no permanent damage. Clark underwent tests for concussion and was cleared to play in the Super Bowl.
"That was the first time I ever had a concussion test," he said. "You know what's funny, you take the test when you're fine so that way they can compare the answers. I did better after the head injury than I did before."

Clark, a seven-year NFL veteran, knows the outcome of the game is likely to depend on the Steelers' ability to cover Cardinals wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald.

Clark had a warning for Fitzgerald: "If I get the opportunity to make a big hit, I'm going to take it," he said. "I'm sure he knows that."

Discipline of Steel
01-29-2009, 01:20 AM
Its obvious hes a threat but he shouldnt need to point it out for the other team. Im sure theyre well aware and it could become bulletin board material. Of course the media is goading him to talk so I wont rag on him too bad.

Mel Blount's G
01-29-2009, 01:50 AM
"Once I was on the ground, I came to. (Team mate Troy Polamalu) asked me about 25 questions that I had no answer for.

"He asked me if I had a concussion and I said: 'How would I know?'..."
Thats hilarious!! Doctor Troy! :lol:

Clarke seems like a sharp guy. Funny, C-Hope had more of a "hitters" body but he lacked the smarts and timing of Ryan. The timing of a hitting/pass defending db is half the battle. Ryan always seems to arrive at the right time. I also like it that he's generally not a trash talker/taunter like Ike seemed to be a few years ago (he's gotten WAY better at that) and Anthony Smith is.

ground-n-pound
01-29-2009, 12:01 PM
Clarks comments should not tell the cardinals what they should already know. Everyone knows that when you play the steelers, you are going to get a very physical, hard hitting game. Nothing has changed for the last 3 decades, so there should be no secret to what we will be trying to do. I am sure that ken whiz. has already pointed out what we will be trying to do. He has not forgot the phyisical power of our defense.

Jooser
01-29-2009, 04:45 PM
Uh-oh, the torpedo is pinging!

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p262/jooser73/kaboom.jpg

NW Steeler
01-29-2009, 08:46 PM
I don't know how many of you guys read the stuff at Stillers.com, but for some reason, they hate Clark. We seem to have a different secondary this year with him back and healthy.I hope he has at least 2-3 big time hits in this game.

stlrz d
01-29-2009, 10:14 PM
I don't know how many of you guys read the stuff at Stillers.com, but for some reason, they hate Clark. We seem to have a different secondary this year with him back and healthy.I hope he has at least 2-3 big time hits in this game.

I don't and that would be more reason not to.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-29-2009, 10:29 PM

I have been a big fan of his since he first got here. He laid a couple of nice hits from the beginning - a Cincy game rings a bell - and I figured him to be a "solid" addition to our D. I put solid in quotes because anytime I used to say that on the trib board I would get shouted down. These were the same people who wanted Smith to replace him to start '07. :lol:

Clark is a great compliment to Troy out there - patrolling the middle while Troy roams freely. Without Clark, Troy could not be Troy.