PDA

View Full Version : Harrison's attitude mars otherwise positive Media Day

JAR
01-28-2009, 09:34 PM
At least Deebo didn't jump over his podium and rip the guys jugular out. Maybe this guy should cover figure skating and not football.

Steeler screwup

:Binky Hub Arkush :Binky

TAMPA, Fla. — Media Day at the Super Bowl is always the Tuesday before the game, the first chance the assembled media hordes get to descend on the “Super” participants and the only chance we get to visit the stadium prior to the playing of the game on Sunday. It is also always a crapshoot as to just how much craziness you’ll run into, from media and players alike. Our visit this week was almost perfect, until it came to an ugly end.

The Cardinals went first, arriving to meet the media and get their very first taste of Super Bowl mania at 10:00 a.m. on a warm, bright and sunny morning in Tampa. That this crew arrived with practically no Super Bowl experience at all — with a few very notable exceptions — was stunning considering the class they displayed, almost to a man.

All-world receivers Anquan Boldin and Larry Fitzgerald were at one end of the field, separated at their podiums only by Australian punter Ben Graham, and it was difficult to decide which of the two was the more polished. Boldin called the media frenzy “20 times greater than the NCAA National Championship game he played in,” describing it with a childlike glee. Fitzgerald described the Super Bowl as “a bigger game, but the same game I played growing up at Martin Luther King Park as a kid, with the same rules and on the same size field, I just have to focus on playing the game.”

What was most striking about the Cardinals was regardless of players being on the offensive or defensive side of the field — whether it was one of the wideouts, Adrian Wilson, Edgerrin James, Darnell Dockett or any of his other teammates — each and every one pointed to QB Kurt Warner as their unquestioned leader and the main reason they were there. Fitzgerald described him as “an amazing leader, amazing friend, a Hall of Fame father and Hall of Fame player whose bust I can’t wait to see in Canton.”

And for his part, Warner reveled in the moment as few have in the past. Asked whether he ever thought he’d be back, Warner said, “I’m a man of pretty strong faith, so I believe a lot of things are possible, but I can’t say when I left New York (Giants) I saw this happening.” But that it has is a blessing for all of us, because in covering 31 Super Bowls I can’t remember a more dignified and seemingly satisfied player in my life. It's not that he doesn’t still ache to win one more; he just truly seems at peace with his lot in life.

The Steelers almost to a man were equally impressive. Safety Ryan Clark, when asked if he was prepared for the media crush, said, “It’s actually just sinking in as I’m talking to you and it’s pretty unbelievable.”

Pittsburgh DE Aaron Smith is as impressive a guy as you’ll ever meet. Predictably, there was a great deal of questioning about his five-year-old son, Elijah, who was diagnosed with Leukemia a few months ago. Smith calmly and repeatedly shared what he felt was relevant while fiercely defending the privacy of his son and family whenever the questions seemed too personal, focused and smiling while never losing his cool, almost similar to the way he plays the game — at a near All-Pro level but so stylishly and effortlessly. He never seems to get the credit he deserves.

Much as Warner leads the Cards, Hines Ward appears to be the focal point of the Steelers’ championship resolve. Ben Roethlisberger was lighthearted but combative at times and occasionally bordered on arrogant or aloof but stopped just short, instead seeming just a bit cocky and self-assured.

Troy Polamalu and LaMarr Woodley are two of those kids that make you wish they were your own, or at least that you hope your kids would emulate and follow. And Casey Hampton is a huge man, quick-witted and gruff but seemingly hiding a warmth that belies his ferocity on the field.

It was all going so well until I came upon James Harrison. To be fair, I’ve never met or interviewed the 2008 NFL Defensive MVP before and perhaps he was trying to be clever or glib. Perhaps he’d grown weary of answering similar questions, a feeling he is neither entitled to nor can he afford in the glare of the media spotlight at the Super Bowl. Young men being paid millions of dollars to play a child’s game have no right to petulance on top of the god-given gifts they’ve been given, and they minimally owe a modicum of respect to media merely trying to do their jobs which generate the ridiculous wealth the players demand. Unfortunately, he came across as a complete ass and someone either coaches or front office needs to take aside and forewarn before he turns the week into a complete disaster for himself and possibly his team.

I asked Harrison if Dick LeBeau had adjusted any of his schemes to take advantage of Harrison’s special talents or if the player was just a unique fit to what LeBeau likes to do. Not a Pulitzer Prize-winning question to be sure, but a reasonable football query from which I hoped to do my job and develop a slightly deeper line of thought. When the linebacker glared at me and responded, “LeBeau’s not adjusting nothing for me, he’s tweaked the system for this week and I’m going to be dropping into coverage on every down. I’m not doing anything this Sunday, I’m just going to cover,” I was taken aback, as were the few reporters around me. I couldn’t imagine he was actually tipping me to this Sunday’s game plan, and if he was going for humor, at best he got smart-ass.

Assuming he was kidding, I said, “James, the system must work for you somehow if you’re the defensive MVP?” Unmoved and glaring more harshly, he replied, “I told you the game plan’s been tweaked this Sunday. I’m not doing anything but dropping into coverage because their offense’s too good and I’m just going to have to cover all day long when all I want to do is rush the passer on every play.” Still uncertain as to where we’d gone wrong but now certain beyond doubt I was being far more than dissed, I returned his glare and said, “That would be fun, just rushing on every play, wouldn’t it?” To which his final and complete answer was, “Yes!”

I would love to believe better of the guy, that he is more than the total punk he acted like, completely unprovoked. I checked the printed quote sheets the league distributes and saw he had answered other questions about the defense and coach LeBeau with reasonable and apparently straight answers. Did he mistake me for someone else he has had issues with in the past? I wish I could find some explanation, but I can only report in my dozens of Super Bowls it was one of the strangest encounters with a player I’ve ever had, a dark stain on an otherwise really good day for both teams.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/Fe ... 012809.htm (http://www.profootballweekly.com/PFW/Features/Super+Bowl/2008/harkush012809.htm)

steelz09
01-28-2009, 09:42 PM
haha, thats great.

Obviously, the guy doesn't like the attitude of Big Ben either, but the comments about Debo are just awesome.

BradshawsHairdresser
01-28-2009, 09:45 PM
Harrison should've thrown down that poor excuse for a reporter and kicked his sorry ar$$e.

Jooser
01-28-2009, 10:00 PM
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p262/jooser73/364909208_b911f81bc4_o.gif

RKSteel
01-28-2009, 10:07 PM
JH gave the exact same answer to Sanders. Word for word. Maybe he was pretending to interview Harrison, but he just stuck he mike in their while he was talking to Sanders.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
01-28-2009, 10:07 PM
I'm sorry, that author just seemed like a pansy to me.

NorCal-Steeler
01-28-2009, 10:36 PM
I guess he wont want a post game interview after we win. :Blah

AngryAsian
01-28-2009, 10:36 PM
Like Mike Tomlin and crew didn't prepare the team to answer such questions. "Let's just give the Cardinals our defensive game plan to a tee, and in while basking in our intelligence let's just place our number one pass rusher into coverage.... for the entire game." The reporter is a butthead.

100$handshake
01-28-2009, 11:10 PM
No Harrison needs to take some lessons on being media savvy. The Steeler organization doesn't need a black eye this week. The guy got NFL Defensive MVP so someone must like him. But he won't get another if he acts like an ass.

msp26505
01-28-2009, 11:17 PM
Like Greg Lloyd, James Harrison wasn't hired for his disposition.

steeld95
01-28-2009, 11:45 PM

It seems we always have one player on defense like this. I think we need it. As long as he plays like he is, he can act as he wants...

Mel Blount's G
01-28-2009, 11:52 PM
"PICK A CHOICE."
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/9/9e/Deebo.jpg/200px-Deebo.jpg

RuthlessBurgher
01-29-2009, 12:09 AM

It seems we always have one player on defense like this. I think we need it. As long as he plays like he is, he can act as he wants...

The Steelers have always had guys that were respectful to the media and polished speakers, but also the guy that was a total wild card that everyone seemingly flat out feared.

Guys like Jack Ham and Lynn Swann were polished...Jack Lambert scared the crap out of you.

Guys like Carnell Lake and Rod Woodson were polished...Greg Lloyd scared the crap out of you.

Guys like Troy Polamalu and Hines Ward are polished...James Harrison scares the crap out of you.

And so it goes...

Discipline of Steel
01-29-2009, 12:10 AM
Lets see...James Harrison was a total "richard" to Deion Sanders and Hub Arkush for asking him about the Steelers defensive game plan. :Bow #92 :Bow

stlrz d
01-29-2009, 12:23 AM
Yeah but it was pretty cool when he said this about ray ray: :lol:

[youtube:1m0ww128]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/yM1cyIjmIek&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/yM1cyIjmIek&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube:1m0ww128]

Steel Life
01-29-2009, 12:51 AM
More self-important blathering by a sports-writer looking to be relevant. It's crap like this that makes me cringe when it's solely up to the writers to determine post-season awards & HOF voting. This guy clearly states that this is the first time he's interviewed Harrison, yet it's also clear that he's made up his mind that he doesn't like him.

Players are only obligated to answer the questions - not answer them correctly, or politely, or seriously. Besides, if the have to tolerate repetitive, stupid, silly, uniformed & sometimes personal questions then the media should expect some attitude from time to time - especially when they allow this to become a circus, complete with men in dresses. So get over yourself Arkush & cut the guy some slack...

Mister Pittsburgh
01-29-2009, 01:17 AM
Young men being paid millions of dollars to play a child’s game have no right to petulance on top of the god-given gifts they’ve been given, and they minimally owe a modicum of respect to media merely trying to do their jobs which generate the ridiculous wealth the players demand.

I personally love the above from that. Like James Harrison is getting paid because of the media. James Harrison could walk down from the podium, pull down his zipper and urinate down this guys leg...and as long as James Harrison goes out and gets 2 sacks with a forced fumble this game, nobody will care.

Steel Life
01-29-2009, 01:36 AM
Here some more from Fox Sports that sheds some light on things...
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9149 ... media-day- (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9149970/Steelers%27-Harrison-endures-media-day-)

Iron Shiek
01-29-2009, 09:58 AM
Obviously Harrison's reason for acting like he did is because all the media keeps talking about is how nobody is going to be able to cover Fitz. He has taken it personally and it seems there is a large chip on his shoulder...even though he isn't the guy that will need to cover him. I think he will decapitate Warner by 13 minutes left in the 2nd quarter.

That and this from Arkush probably is another reason why he didn't take him seriously:

Hub Arkush, publisher/editor

2008 predictions

AFC champion
New England Patriots

NFC champion
Seattle Seahawks ( :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: )

Super Bowl winner
New England Patriots

Offensive MVP
Donovan McNabb

Defensive MVP
Mario Williams

AFC East

1. New England — Breakout season for Maroney; Brady and Moss are Brady and Moss; and defense still stacked up front.
2. Buffalo — Love the young talent at skill positions, and head coach worth two wins by himself.
3. N.Y. Jets — Look good, but you can’t buy it in NFL.
4. Miami — Typical Parcells rebuilding — look out by middle of next year when Henne takes over.

AFC North

1. Cleveland — DBs scary, but all those weapons on offense. Don’t be surprised if Quinn ends up on field.
2. Pittsburgh — Looks to me like a club headed in wrong direction. Wait...what?!
3. Cincinnati — At what point do you stop looking at all the bad actors and focus on the coach?
4. Baltimore — Hard to doubt Ozzie Newsome, but trading up for Joe Flacco? How is this club better?

:loser

ANPSTEEL
01-29-2009, 10:38 AM
you want to laugh??

take a look at this....

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80e60ec0

I'm not sure who is more uncomfortable in this...

Harrison or Deion.

seriously bizarre particularly in the beginning of the segment.

Iron Shiek
01-29-2009, 12:47 PM
Harrison is on Sirius NFL Radio with Schein and Riggins. This is clearly a ploy. He keeps bringing up the fact that he is doing things this week in practice that he is not comfortable with. And they were talking about how they all need to get pressure on the quarterback. He said of course they need to be getting pressure but that he ain't gonna be doing much of that this week...and working on more coverage than anything.

He is clearly throwing out fake signals. Schein even said I'm not sure I really believe you and then changed the subject.

Eff Hub Arkush. Take his answer how you want, but maybe he wants to deceive everyone on purpose and he's not tryin to be an azz. Schein handled it the right way, Arkush didn't.

feltdizz
01-29-2009, 01:41 PM
I"ll never forget when Dieon Sanders poured a bucket of water on a reporter after they won the world series or maybe it was the Dallas SB...

the reporter said something earlier in a paper about how Dieon should stick to one sport or was bad for the team and Deion kept pouring water on him..
all the reporter said was "real classy"

I also remember Jim Nance I think... asking Pete Rose to fess up about gambling when he was finally allowed to take part in the 50 best players salute in an All Star game....
ON NATIONAL TV.. right after he walked out of the dugout to a standing ovation...

my point? Reporters think they are owed something cause they write about the game most of them couldn't play.

For a reporter to think they are responsible for a player making millions is too funny. Sure back in 1960.. but now? 85% of them are hacks.

RuthlessBurgher
01-29-2009, 02:04 PM
I"ll never forget when Dieon Sanders poured a bucket of water on a reporter after they won the world series or maybe it was the Dallas SB...

the reporter said something earlier in a paper about how Dieon should stick to one sport or was bad for the team and Deion kept pouring water on him..
all the reporter said was "real classy"

I also remember Jim Nance I think... asking Pete Rose to fess up about gambling when he was finally allowed to take part in the 50 best players salute in an All Star game....
ON NATIONAL TV.. right after he walked out of the dugout to a standing ovation...

my point? Reporters think they are owed something cause they write about the game most of them couldn't play.

For a reporter to think they are responsible for a player making millions is too funny. Sure back in 1960.. but now? 85% of them are hacks.

Ah, yes...the Tim McCarver water incident. Deion just exudes class.

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2007/writers/pete_mcentegart/01/12/ten.spot/tx_deion.jpg

BradshawsHairdresser
01-29-2009, 02:09 PM
The guy got NFL Defensive MVP so someone must like him. But he won't get another if he acts like an bad word.

I get the impression Harrison doesn't care much about these kinds of awards... it's winning--especially winning the Super Bowl--that drives him.

Steel Life
01-29-2009, 11:04 PM
The Pete Rose interviewer was Jim Gray if NBC & he caught a lot of heat for that. He refused to go soft on Rose who was still dodging questions & accountability, but Gray was proved right in the end.

northgate1980
01-29-2009, 11:45 PM
you want to laugh??

take a look at this....

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80e60ec0

I'm not sure who is more uncomfortable in this...

Harrison or Deion.

seriously bizarre particularly in the beginning of the segment.

:Agree
That was bizzare. Why do these media clowns keep talking to the players when they obviously are annoyed and give nonsense answers like this.

:ratsuck

Iron Shiek
01-30-2009, 12:25 AM
As I said in another thread....Harrison is going to rip Warners head off...and the Card-anals trainer is going to have to tape it back on like Lloyd did to Petey the bird...