PDA

View Full Version : Mike & Mike

Jooser
01-28-2009, 11:21 AM
Guys, I have to vent. The Cardinal love affair for these guys is killing me. They act like Kurt Warner is the best freaking QB to ever put on a pair of cleats. The slobbering over Fitz is equally annoying. To hear these guys talk, 1.) our defense isn't as good as the Rats D in 2000, 2.) our D hasn't really been shutting people down like they've been so hyped of doing, 3.) Larry Fitzgerald is utterly uncoverable and Ike Taylor has no chance, 4.) the Cardinal offense is the most potent in the NFL and our #1 ranked defense is about to be taken to school by Warner, Fitz, Edge et all at the hands of Ken Whisenhunt.

Then to add further insult, they have Michael Irvin giving his two cents. Of course he's about to orgasm all over the Cards and openly expresses his disdain for the Steelers.

I just don't get it, I know they have to hype the game, but for crying out loud! They act like they haven't watched a Steelers game all season. Now, 1st and 10 is on and Korkie's on there wearing THE ugliest purple tie on I've ever seen. He, in all of HIS infinite wisdom, thinks the Cardinals are unstoppable even though he wants to see the Steelers win.

What these people are clearly overlooking, IMHO, is just how VIOLENT and PHYSICAL our defense truly is. The Cards are finesse, and yes they'll get their yards, but we are just going to beat them up and wear them down. Mike Golic arrogantly pointed out that Rivers threw for 300 yrds in the regular season game against us, so in his pea-brain he rationalizes that our defense is 'vulnerable'. He didn't point out what Rivers did in the playoff game against us.

Ok, there it is. Any trolls or Card fans that thinks that the Steelers are getting any love from the media is delusional. The Steelers hate continues, and revenge is going to be sweet.

RuthlessBurgher
01-28-2009, 11:27 AM
They act like they haven't watched a Steelers game all season.

Because they probably haven't.

pfelix73
01-28-2009, 11:32 AM
Well, we might as well pack it in and head home. No point in plying the game as long as those guys are siding with the Cards......

Jooser
01-28-2009, 11:37 AM
Well, we might as well pack it in and head home. No point in plying the game as long as those guys are siding with the Cards......

not exactly my point felix. It would just be nice to have some respect by someone other than the bookies. :)

msp26505
01-28-2009, 11:39 AM
Mike Golic arrogantly pointed out that Rivers threw for 300 yrds in the regular season game against us, so in his pea-brain he rationalizes that our defense is 'vulnerable'.

That would be kind of tough since the only team that got 300 TOTAL yards on the Steelers D all year was the Titans. Rivers had his lowest passer rating of the season against the Steelers and threw for 164 yards:

Box score from the regular season Steelers-Chargers game. (http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxscores/200811160pit.htm)

This fact was mentioned several times in the playoff rematch. How could Golic not have seen that? In fact, if memory serves, the first game was also the only game on at the time (the Sunday Night NBC game), so they have no excuse.

The Steelers hate continues, and revenge is going to be sweet.

Quoted for truth.

Steeler Expat
01-28-2009, 11:42 AM
To help balance things out Troy Aikman said the Steelers D is just too dominant for the Cardinals and he gave the edge to the Steelers.

proudpittsburgher
01-28-2009, 11:49 AM
Oddly enough, the day after the win over the Ravens, I heard nothing but praise for our beloved Steelers. I even made the comment that I didn't know how to handle it, because I was so used to being slighted by the national media. Well, things have changed.

Jooser
01-28-2009, 11:51 AM
I don't know where Golic came up with half the stuff he was spewing from his sewer hole this morning. He seemed to think Rivers had truly exposed our D.

:roll: Go figure.

Nice to see Troy Aikman is throwing a little love our way. It's just a frustrating week to sit here every day and listen to these talking heads diss us. :?

AkronSteel
01-28-2009, 11:54 AM
I kinda like the fact that we are not getting any pub! I like the fact that all we are hearing this week is how dangerous the Cardinals are and how we are not going to be able to stop Warner, Fitzy and all those other red birds. It is just like it always is, we have to go out and earn our respect. This Steelers team always plays better when not given a chance and when being overlooked. I think this sets up well for us come Sunday!

steeld95
01-28-2009, 11:56 AM
Guys, I have to vent. The Cardinal love affair for these guys is killing me. They act like Kurt Warner is the best freaking QB to ever put on a pair of cleats. The slobbering over Fitz is equally annoying. To hear these guys talk, 1.) our defense isn't as good as the Rats D in 2000, 2.) our D hasn't really been shutting people down like they've been so hyped of doing, 3.) Larry Fitzgerald is utterly uncoverable and Ike Taylor has no chance, 4.) the Cardinal offense is the most potent in the NFL and our #1 ranked defense is about to be taken to school by Warner, Fitz, Edge et all at the hands of Ken Whisenhunt.

I have actually been enjoying all this slanted coverage that has been going on. If we as fans notice, I am sure our players notice. How tired do you think our defensive players are of taking questions about Fitzgerald or Warner?? I am enjoying it...because we are not the team to do this too...you do not want to give us any extra motivation!

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-28-2009, 11:57 AM
Mike Golic arrogantly pointed out that Rivers threw for 300 yrds in the regular season game against us, so in his pea-brain he rationalizes that our defense is 'vulnerable'. He didn't point out what Rivers did in the playoff game against us.

In the regular season game against us, Rivers threw for 164 yards and two picks while putting up 10 points - 7 thanks to a very questionable PI call.

P. Rivers 15/26 164 0 2

Their offense put up 218 yards while they received more than half that much yardage in penalties - 13 for 115.

It was in the playoffs where Rivers threw for 300 yards

P. Rivers 21/35 308 3 1

However, the Steelers were up 18 in the fourth in that game and a lot of those yards came in that situation:

Steelers up 28-10, SD ball with 12:52 remaining - Rivers threw for 52 yards and a TD on that drive.

Steelers up 35-17, SD ball with 2:43 remaining - Rivers threw for 84 yards and a TD on that drive.

Yes, I know that a game is 60 minutes, but the fact is that the Steelers played a different D than what they play when the game is on the line. They also had rotated in numerous backups during these drives.

So, while the D was still playing to win in the first 48 minutes of the game, Rivers had thrown for 172 yards, 1 td, 1 int. Yup, he shredded us up pretty good.

I'm guessing that these guys must know this, but have decided not to acknowledge it since it defeats their point, and makes this buildup very boring.

The fact is that any talk of why Arizona has an edge is countered very quickly. The only valid point might be the coaching insight angle, mostly because it is an intangible. Any tangible argument gives the Steelers the edge.

stlrz d
01-28-2009, 12:03 PM
Golic was full of love for us on ESPN.

They just want to get people all riled up to generate more listeners.

Uncle Rico
01-28-2009, 12:09 PM
All these mancrushes that sports reporters are having on Kurt Warner seem eerily similar to the ones they just had on Tim Tebow a few weeks ago.

SidSmythe
01-28-2009, 12:12 PM
Why get all bent out of shape over this:

The media's job is too HYPE up the underdog ..... it's the superbowl and the superbowl is all about ratings.

Kurt Warner is a GREAT (highly likely to be a Hall of Famer) QB ... and FITZ is probably the most amazing WR to come into the game since Randy Moss.

But here's the problem .... it doesn't go beyond the Cardinals passing game.

Unfortunately for them, they are going to have to run the ball to beat us.

PLUS, the only defenses that give the Steelers big problems are teams that can get pressure on BEN. Unfortunately for the Cardinals, they aren't going to sack Ben 5 times.

MeetJoeGreene
01-28-2009, 12:13 PM

I have actually been enjoying all this slanted coverage that has been going on. If we as fans notice, I am sure our players notice. How tired do you think our defensive players are of taking questions about Fitzgerald or Warner?? I am enjoying it...because we are not the team to do this too...you do not want to give us any extra motivation!

$$$ I want them to be TRASHING the Steelers by the end of the week.

aggiebones
01-28-2009, 12:24 PM
Dang, I just started a thread about this topic then I see this one. With work it took me too long to finish typing my thoughts.
Alas, I'm right with you. Cardinals are mere mediocre in my mind.

Oviedo
01-28-2009, 12:24 PM
Golic actually does a pretty good job breaking down games. Of course they are trying to hype the games.

The reality is that the Cards offense can be very, very good. What they did in the play offs is not a fluke. They are a rhythm offense and if we can't break Warner's rhythm by getting hands on him then he has the ability to pick us apart. They represent probably the type of offense that gives us the most problems.

They will spread us out to force our LBs, particularly Woodley and Harrison to drop into coverage versus rushing to give Warner the time to pick us apart. They will also throw lots of screens and run draws. This is not going to be a cakewalk.

I find it ironic that we are now facing an offense that is very similar to what Arians has tried to implement. We'll see what happens. Wouldn't it even be more ironic that if the Cards OC becomes the head coach in KC as is almost for sure that Whiz tries to hire Arians to be his OC. Personnel wise the Cards probably represent a better fit for Arians' offense.

flippy
01-28-2009, 12:39 PM
I heard Tiki Barber on M&M in the car today and he mentioned 2 things.

1. When the Giants lost to Baltimore in the 2000 SuperBowl, they weren't prepared for how physical and fast Baltimore was. He said offenses just can't prepare for that the first time they play a defense. Also said Bus said we were able to beat them that season because we knew them and knew what to expect.

2. Not sure if it was Tiki or Ronde, but one of them said the Steelers played the toughest schedule and had the #1 defense. Said that makes them really legit.

Steelgal
01-28-2009, 12:48 PM
Normally Golic isn't too bad. He actually picked us before the season started to go to the Superbowl, but had us losing to Dallas. Greenie on the other hand is comical. I don't find much in his 'sports insight', but he and Golic balance each other pretty well.

I honestly think the talking heads at ESPN and some of the other networks are given scripts for each program that state "this segment you'll pump up the Cards", then a different program they're told 'this segment praise the Steelers". I've heard different announcers give conflicting statements on different days/programs to make me think this.

Overall, the Cards do seem to be getting more attention, but giving that it's their first I can't say I'm surprised. They can talk about us AFTER the game and how we're the first team to win 6 Superbowls

:Boobs :Boobs

Steeler Shades
01-28-2009, 01:13 PM
Its all hype.
Most of these talking heads either have already taken the Steelers or will pick the Steelers to win on Sunday. In the mean time they have to talk about something.....just like us. 8)

RuthlessBurgher
01-28-2009, 01:14 PM
Golic actually does a pretty good job breaking down games. Of course they are trying to hype the games.

The reality is that the Cards offense can be very, very good. What they did in the play offs is not a fluke. They are a rhythm offense and if we can't break Warner's rhythm by getting hands on him then he has the ability to pick us apart. They represent probably the type of offense that gives us the most problems.

They will spread us out to force our LBs, particularly Woodley and Harrison to drop into coverage versus rushing to give Warner the time to pick us apart. They will also throw lots of screens and run draws. This is not going to be a cakewalk.

I find it ironic that we are now facing an offense that is very similar to what Arians has tried to implement. We'll see what happens. Wouldn't it even be more ironic that if the Cards OC becomes the head coach in KC as is almost for sure that Whiz tries to hire Arians to be his OC. Personnel wise the Cards probably represent a better fit for Arians' offense.

Actually, if the Cards try to spread us out, I think that gives Harrison and Woodley more of an opportunity to pin their ears back and just rush. If they go with a spread, we will counter with nickel or dime packages, with more DB's out there to focus on the coverage aspect, leaving Harrison and Woodley free to do what they do best...bring the heat. For example, when we go nickel, we take out Hampton and Foote, and replace them with Timmons and Townsend, giving us a faster overall defense. Harrison and Woodley become rush ends along a 4 man line with Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel moving to the middle. LeBeau can still be creative with who he rushes (not always just those front 4 guys)...for instance, he could drop Keisel back into a short zone and blitz Timmons up the middle. Think Warner wants to see Harrison, Woodley, and Smith coming at him at the snap out of a 3 point stance, and then see Timmons bursting through the middle just as Harrison and/or Woodley are forcing him to evade their pressure by stepping up into the pocket, right into the waiting arms of Smith and/or Timmons. Ouch.

flippy
01-28-2009, 01:19 PM

Actually, if the Cards try to spread us out, I think that gives Harrison and Woodley more of an opportunity to pin their ears back and just rush. If they go with a spread, we will counter with nickel or dime packages, with more DB's out there to focus on the coverage aspect, leaving Harrison and Woodley free to do what they do best...bring the heat. For example, when we go nickel, we take out Hampton and Foote, and replace them with Timmons and Townsend, giving us a faster overall defense. Harrison and Woodley become rush ends along a 4 man line with Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel moving to the middle. LeBeau can still be creative with who he rushes (not always just those front 4 guys)...for instance, he could drop Keisel back into a short zone and blitz Timmons up the middle. Think Warner wants to see Harrison, Woodley, and Smith coming at him at the snap out of a 3 point stance, and then see Timmons bursting through the middle just as Harrison and/or Woodley are forcing him to evade their pressure by stepping up into the pocket, right into the waiting arms of Smith and/or Timmons. Ouch.

We can generate pressure out of 3 guys. Allowing us to drop 8.