PDA

View Full Version : Your MVP if you had the pick...

SMASHMOUTHFOOTBALL
01-28-2009, 11:03 AM
My top three would be a little different but great stories...

My first pick for the Steeler to win the MVP is....Limas Sweed
*Ward only plays a half and Sweed steps up and catches 7 balls for 130 yds and the game winning TD. (redemption)

2ND Choice: L. Timmons- 3 sacks 1ff and an INT

3RD Choice: Big Ben: 17-20 234 yds 3 td

I know the 1st 2 are really unlikely but I love the underdog story.

Your top 3?

RKSteel
01-28-2009, 11:11 AM
Troy

Farrior

Ben

flippy
01-28-2009, 11:17 AM
Ben
Troy
Harrison

Jooser
01-28-2009, 11:26 AM
Harrison - shows up big for the big show

Troy - status quo

Ben - too many people dissing him and loving on Warner, he'll prove he's elite

Steeler Shades
01-28-2009, 12:45 PM
S. Holmes
Gary Russell

If the Cards win....it will have to be
Warner

8)

steeld95
01-28-2009, 12:47 PM
I'm going with Ben. After hearing his interviews, he seems like he really has something to prove in this game. I like that attitude and I think he comes through big time!

Steelgal
01-28-2009, 12:53 PM
My 3 choices....

First - Ben, after his last Superbowl performance and hearing the Warner hype, he'll come out firing and prove ALL of his critics wrong

Second - Santonio, with Hines not 100%, he steps up and becomes Ben's favorite weapon getting atleast 2 TDs.

Third - Woodley, he's had a heck of a postseason thus far and it will continue. TEams will doubleteam Harrison, leaving Woodley one on one or free to hit Warner.

Discipline of Steel
01-28-2009, 01:15 PM
Cardinals suck something fierce when it comes to covering the TEs. Perhaps Heath will get 80 yrds and a TD or 2? That might end up being MVP worthy...

RuthlessBurgher
01-28-2009, 01:42 PM
Someone asked Hines Ward about possibly being the first WR to be a two-time Super Bowl MVP, and he said something to the effect that it would be quite an honor, but he would be satified no matter which Steeler got the MVP, because that would mean that his team won the Super Bowl (and yes, I realize that Chuck Howley was a Super Bowl MVP team even though the Cowboys lost Super Bowl V, but c'mon now)

frankthetank1
01-28-2009, 07:57 PM
woodley- has had 2 sacks in every postseason game he has played in. i also like him to win mvp because i think the possibility of a player you wouldnt think would get it does a good amount of the time.

holmes- has stepped up huge in the playoffs, hines is banged up but i think will still have a good game so the cards will have to focus on hines more than they would if he wasnt really a factor.

miller- celek tore the cards defense a new a$$hole in the nfcc game. if some how ward's knee is worse than i expect it to be and he cant cut all that well or something then i think heath will be ben's #1 target on 3rd downs.

Oviedo
01-28-2009, 08:24 PM
Offense: FWP. He will have to have a monster game of 100+ yards for us to win because that will mean we are winning the time of possession battle which will allow us to win the game.

Defense: Timmons. He will be key to shutting down the quick passing attack of the Cards. He is fast enough to shut down the hot routes. I don't expect to see much of Larry Foote. I predict Timmons get a INT.

steelz09
01-28-2009, 08:37 PM
1st Choice is Big Ben - I think he wants a SB MVP because of how he performed in Super Bowl XL. He could have a real good game if the o-line can step up.

2nd Choice is Timmons - I think he will play a big role because of his speed and matchups with the pass offense of the Cardinals. I feel that he could have 6 tackes, 1 fumble recovery, and an interception for a touchdown. I'm not sure if thats worthy of a MVP but the INT for a touchdown is a game-changing play.

3rd Choice is Polamalu - Just because he's an athletic freak and makes plays that the normal NFL player just simply can't make. We need him big time this week.

--

Honorable Mentions
------------------

Ward - The guy is simply a stud. He comes up big in the big games. What else could you ask for out of a future HOF'er. The knee brace worries me though.

Parker - I really think Parker could have a solid game against this defense. There not overally big up front like the defenses we typically struggle with. If we can get Willie started early then I could see him with around 25 carriers 130 yards and a TD

Woodley - He has been our best pass rusher so far in the playoffs. I want to predict, 6 tackes, 2 sacks, and a force fumble.

Sweed - Just because. I don't know why but I really think the guy can make a big play at any time. Now if he could only catch the damn ball. I don't know if it was the Raven's seconday injuries or what, but Sweed was open on numerous occasions last week. If Ward's knee is in bad shape, we'll need Sweed to step up big time.

Sugar
01-28-2009, 08:40 PM
I'm going with Ben. After hearing his interviews, he seems like he really has something to prove in this game. I like that attitude and I think he comes through big time!

:Agree

I would love to see BB get the MVP. It's one of the few honors he doesn't have.

stlrz d
01-28-2009, 08:48 PM

Ditto.

SidSmythe
01-28-2009, 09:07 PM
I was going to say Willie Parker, but since this season is about GREAT DEFENSE

Harrison already got Def. MVP - would hate to see his contract demands skyrocket w/ Superbowl MVP

Woodley: ditto

Aaron Smith:
9 tackles - 3.5 sacks - 1 PD - 2 Tackles for losses - 1 INT (off Brett Keisel deflection)

Ghost
01-29-2009, 09:40 AM
Aaron Smith- this guy is consistently one of the most underrated players in the league and should be going to the pro bowl. He quietly goes about his business - at such a consistently high level. Would love to see him have a monster game and get the recognition. Also, his son was just cleared to travel (from the radiation he gets for leukemia) to Tampa to watch.

Ben Roethlisberger - He seems genuinely upset about not doing anything in his mind to help the team win the last SB. He admits he was overcome with nerves. I'd love to see him take command of the game and play lights out and get this game manager crap out of here.

Troy Polamalu - if he wins the MVP it's because he had multiple interceptions, possibly one for a TD, some sacks, tackeles for loss and was just a ton of fun to watch as he dismantled the Cards.

NW Steeler
01-29-2009, 03:59 PM
I'd like to see either Ben or Willie. Preferably Willie, because that would likely mean that we controlled the game from the start and lead comfortably for most of it.

Chadman
01-30-2009, 01:27 AM
It'll go to a 'splash' player- so strike off all the OL & DL no matter how deserving they may be. Add FB's to that, and probably ILB's too.

Ike Taylor can't catch, so even though he might play lights out against Fitzgerald, he won't get MVP.

Heath is not a 'big play' guy, despite the possiblity of him being the 3rd down target.

So- the candidates are- BMac, Ryan Clark, Polamalu, Harrison, Woodley, Parker, Mewelde Moore, Ben, Ward, Holmes.

If Ward plays, and plays well- add the 'media darling' factor to it & he becomes a PRIME option. Same with Troy.

Harrison is good, great even, but he'll need multiple big plays to catch the eye.

Holmes is a sneaky option because of his return ability too.

Clark is unlikely because he's not a 'ball hawk'.

McFadden is a chance.

Woodley is in the same boat, kind of, as Harrison. In Woodley's favour though is the expectation placed on Harrison might make Woodley look that much better if they produce similar games.

Parker & Moore are big chances- particularly if Parker gets a big play or two. Moore is a sneaky pick because the media will notice him if he pops up with big plays because of the importance of his position.

Then there is Ben. Nobody shoulders more expectation than Ben. He could light this game up, but the way the offence has been playing, it's more likely that the Steelers win if Parker runs well.

The media LOVES Troy. If he makes one or two plays- lock him in.

So- Chadman's 'Top 3' Steelers for MVP are:

Willie Parker #1

Troy Polamalu #2

Santonio Holmes #3

Oviedo
01-30-2009, 12:10 PM
It'll go to a 'splash' player- so strike off all the OL & DL no matter how deserving they may be. Add FB's to that, and probably ILB's too.

Ike Taylor can't catch, so even though he might play lights out against Fitzgerald, he won't get MVP.

Heath is not a 'big play' guy, despite the possiblity of him being the 3rd down target.

So- the candidates are- BMac, Ryan Clark, Polamalu, Harrison, Woodley, Parker, Mewelde Moore, Ben, Ward, Holmes.

If Ward plays, and plays well- add the 'media darling' factor to it & he becomes a PRIME option. Same with Troy.

Harrison is good, great even, but he'll need multiple big plays to catch the eye.

Holmes is a sneaky option because of his return ability too.

Clark is unlikely because he's not a 'ball hawk'.

McFadden is a chance.

Woodley is in the same boat, kind of, as Harrison. In Woodley's favour though is the expectation placed on Harrison might make Woodley look that much better if they produce similar games.

Parker & Moore are big chances- particularly if Parker gets a big play or two. Moore is a sneaky pick because the media will notice him if he pops up with big plays because of the importance of his position.

Then there is Ben. Nobody shoulders more expectation than Ben. He could light this game up, but the way the offence has been playing, it's more likely that the Steelers win if Parker runs well.

The media LOVES Troy. If he makes one or two plays- lock him in.

So- Chadman's 'Top 3' Steelers for MVP are:

Willie Parker #1

Troy Polamalu #2

Santonio Holmes #3

I have to agree with FWP. I think he is going into this game with a chip on his shoulder and I would not be totally schocked to see him have one of those toatlly insane games he is capable of having with something like 150 yards.

I could also see Heath Miller with 10 catches and 2 TDs if Arians and ben are smart enough to use the best weapon they have on offense.

Iron Shiek
01-30-2009, 02:17 PM
I have to agree with FWP. I think he is going into this game with a chip on his shoulder and I would not be totally schocked to see him have one of those toatlly insane games he is capable of having with something like 150 yards.

I could also see Heath Miller with 10 catches and 2 TDs if Arians and ben are smart enough to use the best weapon they have on offense.

No kidding. Heath is poised to strike if they can work him into the plan. Magnum PI from the Eagles (Celek) blew up and that was like, what, his first game ever...! Come on Arians/Ben, lets get Heath involved.

But in all honesty, I just keep having visions of Santonio going crazy and catching to long ones.

Steeler Shades
01-30-2009, 04:15 PM
But in all honesty, I just keep having visions of Santonio going crazy and catching to long ones.
Not hard to imagine seeing as if Ward can't play, Holmes is the only WR we have that can consistently catch the ball. Unfortunately without Ward, Santonio will probably see double coverage all day. 8)

northgate1980
01-30-2009, 10:17 PM
I would think a player from the D would win, because if we win, we will have done what is supposedly impossible( according to these idiots in the media), shut down the Deadbirds. With that being said:

1. Troy

Everyone loves him, which will give him some votes if he makes a couple plays, even if he isn't the most deserving guy.

2. Woodley

A couple sacks, a forced fumble, forcing Warner into a couple of bad throws, he has a good shot.

3. Farrior

I just see him having a huge game, no real rhyme or reason, just a hunch.

Silverback or Clark won't get it, though they might be the most deserving when it is all said and done. Silverback is Silverback, and if Clark can light up someone over the middle early, call it a long day for the Deadbirds.

steelsun7
01-30-2009, 10:32 PM
I'd like to see either Ben or Willie. Preferably Willie, because that would likely mean that we controlled the game from the start and lead comfortably for most of it.

smartest answer i have seen
If Parker runs for 100 plus we win

Steeler Shades
02-02-2009, 12:02 AM
S. Holmes
Gary Russell

If the Cards win....it will have to be
Warner

8)
Bump for accuracy. 8)