PDA

View Full Version : What the Hell is this guy saying?

Chadman
01-28-2009, 01:51 AM
Just lifted this from an article about Steelers rookies this season..

Mendenhall, rarely seen in the Steelers' locker room after practice, was thrown into the fire in Week 4 when Willie Parker was injured. But Mendenhall sustained a season-ending shoulder injury against Baltimore.

Parker eventually came back, Mewelde Moore filled in and the Steelers got back to a solid ground game. Mendenhall was off the hook.

Mendenhall is rarely sighted in the locker room after practice? He just buggers off after practice??

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 08928.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_608928.html)

AkronSteel
01-28-2009, 01:55 AM
I heard about this on another board. According to the poster Mendy hasn't really been part of the team since he got hurt and has not really been around that often for film study and other team activities....then I happened to catch him on the sideline talking to FWP during the San Diego game so I really thought it was a bunch of BS!!! Not sure?

fordfixer
01-28-2009, 01:57 AM
:?:

JAR
01-28-2009, 08:55 AM
I've heard this too. He was at the rally. You'd think if he wasn't a team guy, he wouldn't waste his own time doing that.

frankthetank1
01-28-2009, 09:30 AM
i find it hard to believe that a rookie who isnt established wouldnt participate in team activities, practice, film sessions or whatever. i would also find it hard to believe that that would fly with tomlin

Mister Pittsburgh
01-28-2009, 09:46 AM
Is it really necessary that a guy that can't practice for the team be in the lockerroom after practice? What's he going to do, hand out towels?

Not sure what the rule is officially but guys on IR aren't allowed to practice in any way with the team. Maybe instead of being in the lockerroom he is in the weight room and rehabbing the shoulder.

aggiebones
01-28-2009, 05:44 PM
He's probably with Batch. Maybe the IR guys aren't even ALLOWED to loiter with the players at certain times. Keep them hungry to play.
I'm sure Mendi is doing what he is supposed to. He's a rookie, he's not just running amoke. He's likely staying out of the way.
I read this too and it irritated me. Mostly cause I didn't have any idea what this guy was implying. I don't think even he believed or understood what he wrote.

Chadman
01-28-2009, 05:55 PM
Mister Pittsburgh- reread what this guy has reported- it's not that Mendenhall has been out of the locker room SINCE the injury- but BEFORE the injury.

To be honest- it probably means nothing.

But why make mention of it?

snarky
01-28-2009, 09:33 PM
My 'favorite' part is where he said 'Mendenhall was off the hook.'

WTF?

steelernation77
01-28-2009, 10:24 PM
Sunday, January 11, 2009
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
The disappearing No. 1
Rashard Mendenhall, where art thou? That's what some of his teammates want to know. The Steelers' No. 1 draft pick last April has been seen only on occasion by them since his shoulder was broken in the fourth game of the season.

At first, doctors thought he might need surgery but they later diagnosed that it would heal with proper rehabilitation. By all accounts, he's doing that. But his teammates would like to see him more often, and he does live here. "Out of sight, out of mind," one of them said.

Others on injured reserve have been around the team's facility all season, most notably veteran quarterback Charlie Batch, who is in the locker room daily. Punter Daniel Sepulveda, whose ACL was torn in training camp, is around often, as is long-snapper Greg Warren, tight end Jon Dekker and linebacker Arnold Harrison, as examples.

Mendenhall, though, has not been seen much by his teammates. He's not required to be there, but the Steelers have plenty invested in him, not only in money but perhaps the future of their running game. He cannot play and cannot practice, but he could have been learning in their team meetings and even getting to know his teammates a little by coming around once in awhile.
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09011/941068-66.stm

steelernation77
01-28-2009, 10:25 PM
Google_Fabled_Enemies: Ed, Is Mendenhall staying in Pittsburgh and rehabbing at the Team Facilities?

Ed Bouchette: I have not seen him since the injury.

steelsnis
01-28-2009, 11:35 PM
Google_Fabled_Enemies: Ed, Is Mendenhall staying in Pittsburgh and rehabbing at the Team Facilities?

Ed Bouchette: I have not seen him since the injury.

I find that hard to believe. I have seen Mendenhall on the sidelines of every home game the Steelers played this season. Unless Bouchette is purposely trying to stir the pot, he's just not telling the truth.

There will be plenty of time to pick apart Mendenhall and his work habits in July at training camp. This is Super Bowl week, why is this even a story???

steelernation77
01-29-2009, 12:25 AM
The story and chat transcript are from about a month ago

Mel Blount's G
01-29-2009, 12:34 AM
I hope there's nothing to this rumor. I have high hopes that the guy will dedicate himself to being both a) the best STEELER he can be and b) the best rb he can be It's one thing to be called Rushard(ly at all) Mendinghall and another to not devote yourself entirely to your first year as a pro

Mister Pittsburgh
01-29-2009, 12:47 AM
Maybe he didn't take well to being injured. Who knows. Doesn't sound good that he doesn't even go to the team meetings to see how they prepare for games. Kind of sucks actually. Dumb ass.

Mel Blount's G
01-29-2009, 12:49 AM
And to think I was laughing at Tennessee for taking chris johnson in the 1st round :oops: :HeadBanger

feltdizz
01-29-2009, 01:10 PM
And to think I was laughing at Tennessee for taking chris johnson in the 1st round :oops: :HeadBanger

Felix Jones looked good too...
Tashard Choice
Chris Johnson...

all those guys look great... I think Mendenhall will be just as good. The best thing is he is a baby in football years.. just like Timmons... 20 years young.