PDA

View Full Version : For Steelers' LeBeau, Tormenting Offenses Never Gets Old LeB

fordfixer
01-28-2009, 01:25 AM
For Steelers' LeBeau, Tormenting Offenses Never Gets Old
LeBeau Celebrating 50th Year In NFL

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/spo ... etail.html (http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/sports/18578366/detail.html)

TAMPA, Fla. -- At 71-years-old, Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau has the dubious distinction of being the NFL's oldest coach, but the mastermind behind Pittsburgh's No. 1 ranked defense has proven that tormenting opposing offenses only gets better with age.

In the fifth year of his second stint with the Steelers -- he previously served as defensive backs coach and defensive coordinator from 1992-96 -- LeBeau has guided the team to the top of the defensive rankings.

The Steelers finished first in total defense, pass defense and scoring defense and second in run defense at the end of the regular season, drawing comparison between the current squad and some of the all-time greats -- namely the 1976 Steel Curtain team that sent eight defensive players to the Pro Bowl.

"The Steelers of the 70's, I don't know if any defense will ever do what they did. I remember one series of games where it wasn't a matter of whether the opponent was going to score, it was whether they were ever going to make a first down. I've just not seen defense like that -- they were one in a million," said LeBeau.

After starting the season 1-4, the '76 Steelers defense allowed just 28 points in the final nine games of the season.

The Steelers made it to the AFC Championship that year before losing to the Raiders 24-7.

Celebrating 50 years in the NFL as both a player and coach this season, LeBeau is credited as the architect behind the Steelers "zone blitz" scheme that wreaked havoc on opposing offenses in the mid-1990s, prompting fans to refer to the team as "Blitzburgh."

But when asked if he'd continue coaching beyond Super Bowl XLIII on Sunday, LeBeau had one more defensive scheme up his sleeve.

"I'll continue coaching if they [the Steelers] lose, but we're going to try to win," said LeBeau

sd steel
01-28-2009, 01:32 AM
For Steelers' LeBeau, Tormenting Offenses Never Gets Old
LeBeau Celebrating 50th Year In NFL

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/spo ... etail.html (http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/sports/18578366/detail.html)

TAMPA, Fla. -- At 71-years-old, Steelers defensive coordinator bad word LeBeau has the dubious distinction of being the NFL's oldest coach, but the mastermind behind Pittsburgh's No. 1 ranked defense has proven that tormenting opposing offenses only gets better with age.

In the fifth year of his second stint with the Steelers -- he previously served as defensive backs coach and defensive coordinator from 1992-96 -- LeBeau has guided the team to the top of the defensive rankings.

The Steelers finished first in total defense, pass defense and scoring defense and second in run defense at the end of the regular season, drawing comparison between the current squad and some of the all-time greats -- namely the 1976 Steel Curtain team that sent eight defensive players to the Pro Bowl.

"The Steelers of the 70's, I don't know if any defense will ever do what they did. I remember one series of games where it wasn't a matter of whether the opponent was going to score, it was whether they were ever going to make a first down. I've just not seen defense like that -- they were one in a million," said LeBeau.

After starting the season 1-4, the '76 Steelers defense allowed just 28 points in the final nine games of the season.

The Steelers made it to the AFC Championship that year before losing to the Raiders 24-7.

Celebrating 50 years in the NFL as both a player and coach this season, LeBeau is credited as the architect behind the Steelers "zone blitz" scheme that wreaked havoc on opposing offenses in the mid-1990s, prompting fans to refer to the team as "Blitzburgh."

But when asked if he'd continue coaching beyond Super Bowl XLIII on Sunday, LeBeau had one more defensive scheme up his sleeve.

"I'll continue coaching if they [the Steelers] lose, but we're going to try to win," said LeBeau

Is LeBeau trying to demotivate his players?

aggiebones
01-28-2009, 02:29 PM
yea that was backwards
Unless he was joking that he busts their arse too much and they might want a break.
Still not funny if you are a fan.
Tomlin is not quite ready to survive without him. I like Tomlin, but until he gets a decent OC, we can't let Lebeau geau.

stlrz d
01-28-2009, 02:46 PM
How does anyone see any of that as de-motivation???

sd steel
01-28-2009, 03:57 PM
How does anyone see any of that as de-motivation???

Because the Steelers defense has stated how much they love playing for the guy, and he says he will surely come back if they lose.

I'm not really worried about the comments, they just sounded funny.