PDA

View Full Version : I hate this feeling I have...

SMASHMOUTHFOOTBALL
01-27-2009, 08:53 PM
I have had a gut feeling we would make it to the SB and loose for the longest time. Even before the playoffs started. I hate this feeling---I have had bad feelings before and we have won, however this is a huge gut feeling that keeps me up at night. Maybe I have nightmares of the old days in the 90's when we had a great def but couldn't stop the pass. Maybe its because the Cards have killed everyone they have faced in the postseason with the Eagles coming back late. I know I need help, but this feeling is starting to ruin my week.

pfelix73
01-27-2009, 09:34 PM
Just go drink an alcoholic beverage and maybe you'll feel better.

Here's one for you guys- (Wondering if anyone else feels this way)

I'm 40 years old. I remember rooting for the Steelers as a kid back in the 70's. I vividly remember watching SB XIII and XIV as well as X. I would've been around 8 or 9 during SB X.

Anyway, after we won the 4th- and TB and those guys started going down hill (I vividly remember Terry's last game and pass EVER against the Jets when his career was at the end) it was painful every year as the 80's went by and we just couldn't get that 5th trophy. Then, 3 years ago, after 26 years of angst, we got our 5th Lombardy. I was (and still am) so proud to get that 'one for the thumb' and it is oh so fulfilling to finally get what we wanted all along.... Now, going for #6, I am just not into it as much as the past.... Sure I want us to win, but..... something is different. Is it because I'm getting older? Or what could it be? Maybe because I have my own family now and see things in a different light, don't know...It is fun to watch my kids root on the black& gold.

My point is this:

Does anyone else feel this way? I mean, am I taking this all for granted? I should be on pins and needles like many of you are, but something isn't the same. This afterall, it's SB #7 for us. 14 AFCC games and numerous division championships... OK, so we win our 6th, then it's on for #7 next year. Maybe they should design another trophy for those teams that win more than 1. Maybe a special trophy for every 5 that you win. You can trade in 5 Lombardies for this special 'big kuhuna' trophy. OK, now I'm making things up... But we are starting to run out of room for all of these Lombardies....... And afterall, that is a good thing......

Go Steelers!

SMASHMOUTHFOOTBALL
01-27-2009, 10:12 PM
I think I would feel like that a little more after this title.---I became a fan really right after all those SB's. I don't remember celebrating as a 8-9 year old back then so I am thinking I became a fan at the age of 10-11 back in 1980-81. Although at the same time I remember crying when we would loose when I was like 7 and seeing me in Steeler gear at the same age. My point is this--We have 1 championship in the last 29 years. With all the success that is what it boils down to. Yea the success we have had has helped, the conf championships, divisional championships, whipping the browns and ravens, but honestly I want the 2 of the last 4 SB'S. I WANT THE DYNASTY!!!!

snarky
01-27-2009, 10:17 PM

I'm 40 years old. I remember rooting for the Steelers as a kid back in the 70's. I vividly remember watching SB XIII and XIV as well as X. I would've been around 8 or 9 during SB X.

Anyway, after we won the 4th- and TB and those guys started going down hill (I vividly remember Terry's last game and pass EVER against the Jets when his career was at the end) it was painful every year as the 80's went by and we just couldn't get that 5th trophy. Then, 3 years ago, after 26 years of angst, we got our 5th Lombardy. I was (and still am) so proud to get that 'one for the thumb' and it is oh so fulfilling to finally get what we wanted all along.... Now, going for #6, I am just not into it as much as the past.... Sure I want us to win, but..... something is different. Is it because I'm getting older? Or what could it be? Maybe because I have my own family now and see things in a different light, don't know...It is fun to watch my kids root on the black& gold.

My point is this:

Does anyone else feel this way? I mean, am I taking this all for granted? I should be on pins and needles like many of you are, but something isn't the same. This afterall, it's SB #7 for us. 14 AFCC games and numerous division championships... OK, so we win our 6th, then it's on for #7 next year. Maybe they should design another trophy for those teams that win more than 1. Maybe a special trophy for every 5 that you win. You can trade in 5 Lombardies for this special 'big kuhuna' trophy. OK, now I'm making things up... But we are starting to run out of room for all of these Lombardies....... And afterall, that is a good thing......

Go Steelers!

I am sort of in the same place. I think the nature of the league has changed and really anybody except the Lions could win the SB almost any year. So my view of it now is simply that if you get to the conference championship game, you have had a good year and once you get there anything can happen.

I will be upset if we lose but not as busted up as I was after SB30. That sucked because we lost to the cowboys, because we were going for our fifth and because him who shall not be named kept throwing passes to nobody.

Chachi
01-27-2009, 10:47 PM
I have had a gut feeling we would make it to the SB and loose for the longest time. Even before the playoffs started. I hate this feeling---I have had bad feelings before and we have won, however this is a huge gut feeling that keeps me up at night. Maybe I have nightmares of the old days in the 90's when we had a great def but couldn't stop the pass. Maybe its because the Cards have killed everyone they have faced in the postseason with the Eagles coming back late. I know I need help, but this feeling is starting to ruin my week.

Bill Cower is gone.

The Fear of Success was textbook Cower Era mindset from the fans. He had such success but was denied so many times this late in the season. We had reason to be fearful going into any game this late in the year because he had lost so many AFCC games....and a Super Bowl.

Cowher won one. Now he is gone.

That era is over.

We are in the Tomlin Era. So far, this era does not fear success, it embraces the challenge. It does not express doubt, it exudes confidence, resolve.

I refuse to go into this game thinking, :cry: :cry: :cry: "But, what if the ceiling caves in?" waah waah waah :(

I go into this game thinking, "We will win this game!"

BUCK UP, MAN!

We Will Win This Game!

:Beer :Beer :Boobs :Boobs :Boobs :Beer :Beer

Jooser
01-27-2009, 10:53 PM
I had a really bad feeling going into the game against the *Cheats. It turned out well. I am a little numb at this point, not wanting to get too excited yet, but at the same time I'm ready to explode!!!

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p262/jooser73/kaboom.jpg

hellbanger
01-27-2009, 10:56 PM

Bill Cower is gone.

The Fear of Success was textbook Cower Era mindset from the fans. He had such success but was denied so many times this late in the season. We had reason to be fearful going into any game this late in the year because he had lost so many AFCC games....and a Super Bowl.

That era is over.

We are in the Tomlin Era. So far, this era does not fear success, it embraces the challenge. It does not express doubt, it exudes confidence, resolve.

I refuse to go into this game thinking, :cry: :cry: :cry: "But, what if the ceiling caves in?" waah waah waah :(

BUCK UP, MAN!

We Will Win This Game!

:Bow
yeah baby thats the spirit!
look at the bigger picture... Dynasty. A win sunday will be a damn good start.

pfelix73
01-27-2009, 11:55 PM
We were a DYNASTY in the 1970's because of 4 in 6 years. IF we win Sunday, we have 2 in 4 years and are on our way to another DYNASTY.

What is better (higher) than a DYNASTY? 6 SB victories out of 43. 14 AFCC games.

An empire? Chas was the emperor though....

Just wondering.... Maybe we'll have to name it.

pfelix73
01-28-2009, 12:01 AM
Snarky-

I know what you mean.- I was devastated by the SB XXX loss to those Cowboys.... Probably another reason why XL was so gratifying.

But in reality- IF we win on Sunday, I'll be in the middle of the parade route on Tuesday....

Glad I'm not alone in my thinking......

msp26505
01-28-2009, 12:43 AM

My point is this:

Go Steelers!

I am 41. Tonight I was talking to a friend of mine (my former college roommate who is 42), and we were discussing exactly the same thing.

We are both still very into it (I am, after all, posting on a Steelers message board), but the level of enthusiasm seems to be a lot less than when we were younger.

We came to the following conclusions:

1. We are getting older, and seem preoccupied with other issues.

2. The recent examples of cheating by some teams and the suspected "fixing" of games has taken the luster off the game as a whole. I will always be a Steeler fan, but it is getting harder to put faith in the league as a whole, or in a broader sense, the ability of humans to "do the right thing" and run a league free of unethical activity.

3. The disconnect that exists between the average fan and the multimillionaire athlete may play a part in our attitudes toward the game. Though the Steelers are a major exception in that they do a great job of either parting with or avoiding altogether the worst cases, fans, by and large, can't identify with athletes who are paid so much to play a game. The innocence we grew up with is gone.

4. After awhile, human nature usually dictates that the "been there, done that" attitude will prevail. We are pretty spoiled when you get down to it...particularly those of us who were around to witness the success of the '70's.

Mister Pittsburgh
01-28-2009, 01:00 AM
Its all the media hype. Fear of what the media is making the Cardinals out to be instead of what they really are.

I remember our 2nd game vs. Baltimore the hype for the Ravens before we played was that they had put up over 30 on 4 out of the previous 6 games they played before our matchup. We bitch slapped them and held them to 9.

I remember the Chargers being touted as this high octane offensive machine before rolling into Heinz Field for the playoff game. Sproles ran all over Indy like they were children chasing him around. Vincent Jackson is 6'5" and Gates is one of the best offensive weapons in the game. We beat them soundly.

Arizona could beat us, sure, if we play bad....give up big plays and return the favor by running the ball up the gut 2 plays in a row for no gain, allow them to swap personel and then face a nickel or dime defense on 3rd and long.

Just have faith in Ben, Lebeau, and Tomlin.

AkronSteel
01-28-2009, 01:12 AM
Its all the media hype. Fear of what the media is making the Cardinals out to be instead of what they really are.

I remember our 2nd game vs. Baltimore the hype for the Ravens before we played was that they had put up over 30 on 4 out of the previous 6 games they played before our matchup. We bitch slapped them and held them to 9.

I remember the Chargers being touted as this high octane offensive machine before rolling into Heinz Field for the playoff game. Sproles ran all over Indy like they were children chasing him around. Vincent Jackson is 6'5" and Gates is one of the best offensive weapons in the game. We beat them soundly.

Arizona could beat us, sure, if we play bad....give up big plays and return the favor by running the ball up the gut 2 plays in a row for no gain, allow them to swap personel and then face a nickel or dime defense on 3rd and long.

Just have faith in Ben, Lebeau, and Tomlin.

:Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap

Mister Pittsburgh
01-28-2009, 01:23 AM
Steelers are gonna get it done this year boys (and girls)!!!!!! And this is just the start.....

HERE WE GO STEELERS, HERE WE GO!! :Beer :tt1

sd steel
01-28-2009, 01:38 AM

Does your husband watch the games with you? :shock: :lol:

Lighten up Francis. :tt1

sd steel
01-28-2009, 01:39 AM

Bill Cower is gone.

That era is over.

BUCK UP, MAN!

We Will Win This Game!

:Agree There it is!

frankthetank1
01-28-2009, 09:33 AM

haha any of you homos touch me and i'll kill ya :lol: :lol:

JAR
01-28-2009, 10:05 AM
You know, I get a bad feeling when the media keeps telling everyone about the Cards high powered offense, but then I feel better when I think about what the Steelers did to the Colts high powered offense in 06 on their way to the SB and the Steelers D is much better now.

Oviedo
01-28-2009, 10:29 AM

Bill Cower is gone.

That era is over.

BUCK UP, MAN!

We Will Win This Game!

There is a tear forming in the corner of my eye reading this :Bow :Bow :Bow

As scary as the Cards offense is, and don't kid yourself it ids about the worst match up we could have drawn, I think that Tomlin is a different cat. He just seems to be getting better as he goes and he will have this team as ready as any coach can.

Steelers 30 Cards 20.

flippy
01-28-2009, 10:35 AM
Don't worry, I have a feeling for a long time we're gonna win this SuperBowl.

MeetJoeGreene
01-28-2009, 10:57 AM
Don't worry, I have a feeling for a long time we're gonna win this SuperBowl.

flippy feelling > smashmouth's feeling

MeetJoeGreene
01-28-2009, 10:58 AM

Bill Cower is gone.

That era is over.

BUCK UP, MAN!

We Will Win This Game!

There is a tear forming in the corner of my eye reading this :Bow :Bow :Bow

As scary as the Cards offense is, and don't kid yourself it ids about the worst match up we could have drawn, I think that Tomlin is a different cat. He just seems to be getting better as he goes and he will have this team as ready as any coach can.

Steelers 30 Cards 20.

I shouted out a big AMEN BROTHER from my cubicle after I read Chachi's post...

BradshawsHairdresser
01-28-2009, 12:44 PM
After we earn our TENTH Lombardi, THEN we might talk about losing our passion to win Super Bowls...

NW Steeler
01-28-2009, 01:02 PM
I'll never lose the passion to see the Steelers win Superbowls!!

Granted, the more it happens, the more you EXPECT it. It seems like everyone that isn't a Steeler fan wants the Cards to win. I just can't see us losing this game. Could it happen? Of course. Will I be upset if we lose? Hell yes. But it won't change my life. I take some comfort in knowing that we have an awesome nucleus in place and we should remain in the mix for years to come.

That said, let's go stomp some Cardinal azz!!!!!!!!!!!

aggiebones
01-28-2009, 05:29 PM
Felix this is exactly how I feel. I hit 40 this year, so we are the same age....your just older :)
But I have my own family now and am excited to share it with them. Sadly they are too young at 4 and 1.5
But I sat in the dark with my wife for SB XL. We didn't talk. I didn't jump up and yell for good or bad. I sipped ONE beer the whole game. I was so nervous I couldn't choke it down. I think it was the long wait for no.5 that was killing me. The '95 game scarred me as I had a big party to celebrate and then we lost. Back to basics. Family only in my house on SB Sunday. Maybe close friends that are diehard Steelers, otherwise do not disturb.
This time, I'm confident of victory. I'll happily drink maybe a 6 pack. I'll yell and jump and throw some stuff. I'll be back out of my skin like normal. I'll be able to enjoy this game like any game.
I think taking the lead from Dallas is the most important thing to come out of this game. I hate Dallas.

johnstownsteel
01-28-2009, 06:27 PM
i have a bad feeling myslef but it's very similiar to the one i felt before our last trip to the big show. we'll see..

skyhawk
01-29-2009, 04:25 AM

haha any of you homos touch me and i'll kill ya :lol: :lol:

Any of you's toucha my stuff....and i'll kill ya...

Classic!

skyhawk
01-29-2009, 04:28 AM
Steelers play good defense, Ben scores some TD's and doesn't turn the ball over and controls the clock, and the turd punter punts more than 30 yards:

STEELERS WIN.