PDA

View Full Version : Steeler Fan { How Long & When did you know?}

jj28west
01-27-2009, 07:50 PM
Guys,

I dont know if this has ever been posted but I was curious

a) How long have you been a fan?

b) How did you end up being a Steelers Fan?

For me it was the back to back years the Steelers played the Oilers in the AFC Championship game. I to this day cant pin point what it was but something just clicked with all the house hold names like Mean Joe Green, Bradshaw, Harris, Lambert, Swann. Amazingly enough I began to hate the Cowboys with a passion and still do to this day but not as much. I was around 8 at the time and now am 38 so I got roughly 30 years of memories that can never be erased.

Is there anyone here that has witnessed all Steeler Super Bowls? If so what do you feel is the best Super Bowl team? {I know there was a year where we lost Bradshaw and still almost made the big show with our defense alone}

mshifko
01-27-2009, 08:24 PM
i was born in 1987, my whole family were already huge diehard steelers fans (born/raised in greensburg, PA)...i guess you can say i was born into this thing and haven't looked back...my earliest memories of steelers football were guys like bubby brister, bryan hinkle, etc...grew up idolizing the steelers of the 1990's when i was in grade school, now i am cheering for the 2000's steelers and will be a black and gold supporter till the day i die...

California-Steel
01-27-2009, 08:48 PM
I was born a Steelers fan. Born and raised in Pittsburgh. I was born in 66 so by the time the 70's rolled around I was already bleeding Black and Gold.

My kids were all born and being raised in California but they too already bleed Black and Gold.

proudpittsburgher
01-27-2009, 09:06 PM
If I had to pin a date down, it was when Gary Anderson nailed the 51 yarder in the wild card game against the Oilers. I remember yelling and jumping up and down after that one.

Born in 75, but most of my memories start in the down years, the 80s. I used to go to a lot of games thanks to my aunt being a nanny to the rooneys. It would get me and my dad in, and we would do standing room only and freeze our butts off in the concorse. But we went, and watched just about every Steelers game, and at some point, I started to care whether they won or lost. Then came the early 90s and they have been a playoff team pretty much ever season since then. Like I said, at some point, I started to be effected by the teams winning or losing.

That's when I knew I cared.

:tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1

Mick'sTeam
01-27-2009, 09:09 PM
Born and raised in the Burgh. Knew no other way of life. Have lived in TN last six years.

jj28west
01-27-2009, 09:17 PM
Wow,
You guys are all a part of generations of the Black-n-Gold. I came from a family that was not of the the competitive type when it came to playing/watching/following football or any sport.
Thanks for sharing

Leper Friend
01-27-2009, 09:30 PM
If I had to pin a date down, it was when Gary Anderson nailed the 51 yarder in the wild card game against the Oilers. I remember yelling and jumping up and down after that one.

Born in 75, but most of my memories start in the down years, the 80s.

I'm right with you brotha.Born in 1974,the first year I really remember being into the Steelers was 1985. '85 thru '88 were rough,especially going to Bernie Kosar's high school and the Brown's being good during those years.Those were my dark ages.

So that Anderson OT field goal really was a landmark moment as a fan.

papillon
01-27-2009, 10:04 PM
Born and raised in Pittsburgh, me and my friends (most born in 1958) were fans for as long as we can remember. It's in my blood.

Pappy

Djfan
01-27-2009, 10:13 PM
Born in '64, moved to So Cal in '68.

The Steelers are the only team I have ever been a fan of. I remember getting free Chargers tickets because I was a crossing guard, but I never went. No one did in those days.

I chose the Steelers because of the glory years. I remember the SBs, but think that I mix those memories up. I was a HUGE Lynn Swann fan, so my folks got me the Steelers Digest for a couple of years (wish I still had them!), and a letterman style Steelers jacket.

It just stuck with me. Actually the 80's were kind of a blur to me due to a very bad marriage and such.

All my kids are raised as Steelers fan and Mrs. Fan is one too (or I wouldn't have married her!!!!!).

Still in So Cal, but wish I wasn't.

I feel VERY blessed to have seen the Steelers live in '80 (my first live Steelers game - still have the stub). Look up the roster. I saw all the names. It was also Rocky Blier's last game. What an honor!!!

Uncle Rico
01-27-2009, 10:21 PM
I grew up in Johnstown in one of those stereotypical families where my dad, all my uncles, and both granddads all worked in the steel mill for most of their adult lives. As it were I got indoctrinated into the whole Steelers culture from birth.

costanza2k1
01-27-2009, 10:34 PM
I was a FOB at the age of 11 years when my mom got me a Steelers Notebook (odds are they were on sale) from Walgreens. I liked the colors didn't know what football was until some classmates explained it to me. Jumped on the bandwagon that year and stayed with them throughout. Everyone is a Steelers fan in my immediate and extended family because of me. We are FANATICS and proud of it.

stlrz d
01-27-2009, 10:39 PM
Grew up in SoCal. Saw the Steelers logo at a friend's house when I was 5. Went home and told my dad (a Ram's fan...he used to make me wear a t-shirt with Roman Gabriel's picture on it) that the Steelers were my team from now on. That was 1972. Been one ever since.

AngryAsian
01-27-2009, 10:45 PM
i was born in 1987, my whole family were already huge diehard steelers fans (born/raised in greensburg, PA)...i guess you can say i was born into this thing and haven't looked back...my earliest memories of steelers football were guys like bubby brister, bryan hinkle, etc...grew up idolizing the steelers of the 1990's when i was in grade school, now i am cheering for the 2000's steelers and will be a black and gold supporter till the day i die...

Dude, I have butt hairs older than you. LOL

Came to this country in 74. First day in American schools was next to this little Italian kid from Harrisburgh, PA. (oddly enough his first day in Florida school after his parents migrated south). I learned the English language the same time I learned about football, more importantly Steeler Football. Back then I thought, "who wants to be a fan of any other team?" I watched 4 championships won in 6 years with my little Italian buddy... have been a fan since.... 35 years and counting!

Flasteel
01-27-2009, 10:54 PM
Born in '67 in Bradenton. The Pirates moved here for spring training in '69 and I used to go to a lot of games from a very young age. Loved the colors and had the affiliation with Pittsburgh, so when the Steelers started making news in the early 70's I was hooked. My grandfather was a Dolphin fan, so I always watched football with him while that was all happening. When the Bucs came along my allegiances stayed with the Steelers, probably because they were already two-time Super Bowl champs and Tampa Bay was busy losing 28 straight games. I never waivered after that.

Jooser
01-27-2009, 10:59 PM
Born in '73. Dad was a huge fan. He bought me a MJG sweat shirt when I was a kid (age unknown) and he declared me a Steelers fan. I still remember he and my Cleveland loving uncle arguing over games! Life was great to be a Steelers fan!!! WOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

fordfixer
01-27-2009, 11:34 PM
The first time i saw them play on t.v. about 5 or 6 years before they won the first super bowl

pfelix73
01-28-2009, 12:10 AM
Born in York, PA in 1968. That makes me 40 going on 41. My dad grew up an Eagles fan and he made me root for those bastards.. LOL. I switched during those Roman Gabriel days as an Eagle over to the Black & Gold right around the time of SB X. Especially SB's XIII and XIV. Bradshaw became my favorite Steeler as well as Lynny and Mean Joe.

Discipline of Steel
01-28-2009, 12:12 AM
I went to Kindergarten and 1st in Pittsburgh and picked up my lifelong obsession at that time. Have never jumped ship since even though I havent lived there for at least 35 years. I loved Swanny when I was young and grew to appreciate Lambert more as I got older. Happened to meet Tony Dungy (as a steeler) in Michigan when I called his house and invited him to my middle school for an interview.

I did jump ship on the Pirates (and MLB as a whole) when they lost Bonds, Drabek, Bonilla, and Van Slyke and were never good again.

stlrz d
01-28-2009, 12:16 AM
Born in York, PA in 1968. That makes me 40 going on 41. My dad grew up an Eagles fan and he made me root for those bastards.. LOL. I switched during those Roman Gabriel days as an Eagle over to the Black & Gold right around the time of SB X. Especially SB's XIII and XIV. Bradshaw became my favorite Steeler as well as Lynny and Mean Joe.

For those not paying attention, Roman Gabriel has now been mentioned TWICE in this thread! :lol:

pfelix73
01-28-2009, 12:18 AM
Agree with ya on the baseball crap-

Honestly, never cared for the Pirates, but (don't laugh) I liked the Expos. We all know what happened to them. At least they are in DC now... And still suk. Honestly, I enjoy college baseball and the minors more so than the MLB.

SteelCrazy
01-28-2009, 12:22 AM
Born in 1972. My Dad got me a vibrating football table game that included the Dallas Cowboys and Pittsburgh Steelers. My Dad is a Cowboy fan and selfishly took the Cowboys as his team, so I was left with the Steelers. Been a fan ever since. THANKS DAD!!!!

Iron Shiek
01-28-2009, 12:26 AM
Roman Gabriel sucked a$$... :D Okay now its three D!

My first football card was of John Stallworth. I thought he was so cool. Plus I had some good friends that were a bit older than me and actually caught the tail end of the 70s dynasty and they helped convert me at an early age.

Not to mention this: I was born and raised just outside of Cleveland actually. I have told this story a couple times. Born in 1979 so going to elementary school when the Browns were in their championship run years sucked. I hated that kids would wear necklaces made out of dog bones and pass out dog biscuits to all the other kids in class. It was annoying. :brownssuck

stlrz d
01-28-2009, 12:30 AM
Roman Gabriel sucked a$$... :D Okay now its three D!

My first football card was of John Stallworth. I thought he was so cool. Plus I had some good friends that were a bit older than me and actually caught the tail end of the 70s dynasty and they helped convert me at an early age.

Not to mention this: I was born and raised just outside of Cleveland actually. I have told this story a couple times. Born in 1979 so going to elementary school when the Browns were in their championship run years sucked. I hated that kids would wear necklaces made out of dog bones and pass out dog biscuits to all the other kids in class. It was annoying. :brownssuck

You're not old enough to have remembered Roman Gabriel (http://www.nfl.com/players/romangabriel/profile?id=GAB616560)! :P

I forgot dude was 6' 5"...he was a GIANT back then!

Iron Shiek
01-28-2009, 12:44 AM
[quote="Iron Shiek":1ggz41mo]Roman Gabriel sucked a$$... :D Okay now its three D!

You're not old enough to have remembered Roman Gabriel (http://www.nfl.com/players/romangabriel/profile?id=GAB616560)! :P

I forgot dude was 6' 5"...he was a GIANT back then![/quote:1ggz41mo]

I know! But I got older brothers that loved football and kept me immersed in football history. (and I was kidding about Gabriel). I swear I looked at their football cards like every day. I used to just read the backs of them and memorize player's stats. I was kinda weird like that. I stole most of their steeler cards and cherish a John Stallworth rookie card still....ha.

AkronSteel
01-28-2009, 12:54 AM
Born in 75, right here in Akron, OH. My grandfather was a huge Steelers fan and bought me a Franco jersey and had it in my crib when I got home from the hospital. My family is from Arcadia, Pa which is up near Indiana for those that don't know....a little hole in the wall farm town, not much more than a convenience store in the center of town. So I am a lifer.

My first memories of Steeler football was the 82 playoff game against the Chargers that ended in disappointment and the 83 season which ended the same way! Louis Lipps might still be my favorite Steeler of all time just because he was really all we had offensively when I was growing up, although Hines Ward is slowly starting to pass him by. My friends used to make fun of me because I would never come out to play on Sundays because the Steelers were on, and even if they weren't I was sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for the 10 minute ticker (anyone remember that?) or a highlight. My first year out of high school was the 94 season....so my real Steeler craziness started there as far as being a fan and really being able to express that! :D If you know what I mean! The last five years have been awesome! It is really the first time I as a fan have been able to enjoy my team being on top! It's a pretty awesome time! Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go!!!

:tt1 :tt2 :tt1 :tt2

Iron Shiek
01-28-2009, 01:00 AM
Born in 75, right here in Akron, OH. My grandfather was a huge Steelers fan and bought me a Franco jersey and had it in my crib when I got home from the hospital. My family is from Arcadia, Pa which is up near Indiana for those that don't know....a little hole in the wall farm town, not much more than a convenience store in the center of town. So I am a lifer.

My first memories of Steeler football was the 82 playoff game against the Chargers that ended in disappointment and the 83 season which ended the same way! Louis Lipps might still be my favorite Steeler of all time just because he was really all we had offensively when I was growing up, although Hines Ward is slowly starting to pass him by. My friends used to make fun of me because I would never come out to play on Sundays because the Steelers were on, and even if they weren't I was sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for the 10 minute ticker (anyone remember that?) or a highlight. My first year out of high school was the 94 season....so my real Steeler craziness started there as far as being a fan and really being able to express that! :D If you know what I mean! The last five years have been awesome! It is really the first time I as a fan have been able to enjoy my team being on top! It's a pretty awesome time! Here We Go Steelers, Here We Go!!!

10 minute ticker ruled! When they went from showing all the scores on one screen to showing the individual game scores at the bottom with a random stat from the game was like going from the Zach Morris cell phone to a Blackberry though.

AkronSteel
01-28-2009, 01:02 AM

Born in 75, but most of my memories start in the down years, the 80s. I used to go to a lot of games thanks to my aunt being a nanny to the rooneys. It would get me and my dad in, and we would do standing room only and freeze our butts off in the concorse. But we went, and watched just about every Steelers game, and at some point, I started to care whether they won or lost. Then came the early 90s and they have been a playoff team pretty much ever season since then. Like I said, at some point, I started to be effected by the teams winning or losing.

That's when I knew I cared.

:tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1

I have 20 years worth of Steelers victories on DVD and they started with this game. I still go back about once a year and tune into that one! It was a great one for the Steelers because they hadn't done a thing in years and were given no chance to win that game. It was great beating the Oilers in the own house! I really thought the Steelers had the Broncos the next week but those damn cramps that Thomas Everett got killed us at the end of the game!!

Bandito
01-28-2009, 01:08 AM
Born in Mississippi in 1969. Currently living in Austin, Texas.

I became a Steelers fan back in 1977 when my best friend was an avid Steeler fan. I already like football but never had an allergience to one until then. I ended up also liking the Pirates back with the triple B's of Slyke, Bonilla, and Bonds and Penguins with Lemieux just before Jagr joined.

Now if they only had an NBA team. :D My favorite NBA team until Pittsburgh ever gets one is the Houston Rockets (avid Olajuwon fan).

AkronSteel
01-28-2009, 01:16 AM

10 minute ticker ruled! When they went from showing all the scores on one screen to showing the individual game scores at the bottom with a random stat from the game was like going from the Zach Morris cell phone to a Blackberry though.

That's an awesome analogy!

:Clap

sd steel
01-28-2009, 01:29 AM
Born in 68 and lived in Peters Township until about 2nd grade. First started following the Steelers when Dad came home all excited about the Immaculate Reception in 72, then 8 days later remembering being over my Uncle and Aunt's house when the word of Roberto Clemente's death came over the radio and everyone in the house in Bethal Park was crying. The following season we were listening to Myron and I was a Steeler and Pirate junky.

Probably 2 of the earliest memories I have.

frankthetank1
01-28-2009, 09:36 AM
im from connecticut but my dad and all of his family are from the burgh so i have been a steeler fan and a fan of every pittsburgh team all my life. the first memory i have of a steeler game was that afc wildcard game against the oilers when gary anderson kicked a 50+ field goal in the last seconds and chuck noll wouldnt even shake glanvilles hand. if i recall correctly the game was on new years eve

RKSteel
01-28-2009, 09:39 AM
Born in 66, here in NY. Didn't really watch football, although my dad did buy me a Giants jacket when I was young, trying to influence my decision.

In January 1979, a dumb a$$, obnoxious 6th grader was going around the lunchroom taking bets, the Cowboys would beat the Steelers in SBXIII. I took the Steelers and bet a whole $.25 on the game. Watched my first complete football game, rooting for the Steelers. Steelers win! :tt1 Been a fan ever since. The following year was a bonus. Here is a team I'm rooting for and they are back in SB.

Thanks to DirecTV, I've been able to watch the Steelers every Sunday since 1994.

As for the Cowboy's fan, the dumb a$$ welched on his bets. Seed of Hatred of the Cowboys and their fans is planted. The ironic part is that I have him to thank for becoming a Steelers fan. :shock:

proudpittsburgher
01-28-2009, 09:56 AM
Born in 66, here in NY. Didn't really watch football, although my dad did buy me a Giants jacket when I was young, trying to influence my decision.

In January 1979, a dumb a$$, obnoxious 6th grader was going around the lunchroom taking bets, the Cowboys would beat the Steelers in SBXIII. I took the Steelers and bet a whole $.25 on the game. Watched my first complete football game, rooting for the Steelers. Steelers win! :tt1 Been a fan ever since. The following year was a bonus. Here is a team I'm rooting for and they are back in SB.

Thanks to DirecTV, I've been able to watch the Steelers every Sunday since 1994.

As for the Cowboy's fan, the dumb a$$ welched on his bets. Seed of Hatred of the Cowboys and their fans is planted. The ironic part is that I have him to thank for becoming a Steelers fan. :shock:
You become a fan of the Steelers through illegal gambling . . . Art Rooney purchases the team with winnings from the track. Coincidence??? :D

feltdizz
01-28-2009, 10:00 AM
born in the burgh in 73...

RKSteel
01-28-2009, 10:11 AM

You become a fan of the Steelers through illegal gambling . . . Art Rooney purchases the team with winnings from the track. Coincidence??? :D Not coincidence, Confluence. :D

MeetJoeGreene
01-28-2009, 10:55 AM
Born and raised in the 'Burgh. So I have ALWAYS been a Steelers fan. I can remember all 4 of the Super Bowls in the 70s. Watching them in my family room.

My earliest memory is watching a preseason game after they drafted Franco and hearing my day cheer and say how impressed he was with him. I was young then, so I thought his name was Frank O'Harris.

100$handshake
01-28-2009, 11:09 AM
I was watching the Steelers in 1968 and '69 when they were horrible ! I remember watching Earl Gros, Dick Hoak, Dick Shiner and Kent Nix in those days. And the star was Roy Jefferson. If I can be a fan through those days when I was 9 years old, I'm a fan for life !

Djfan
01-28-2009, 11:30 AM
Louis Lipps might still be my favorite Steeler of all time just because he was really all we had offensively when I was growing up

Met him in Pittsburgh this last year at a Steel City Mafia tailgate. Great guy and his wife is amazing.
http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn63/hughpam/DSCN0052.jpg

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-28-2009, 11:34 AM
Born in '66 and started really watching sports in the mid '70s. Since this is before Sunday Ticket, you really only saw the teams who were on top at the time: Steelers, Cowboys, Raiders, Oilers, Vikes.

Also, growing up in Toronto, there was no NFL (still isn't), MLB (Jays started in '77), or NBA (Raptors started in '95) so I adopted teams I liked.

Became huge fans of Steelers, Cincinnati Reds, Philadelphia 76ers, and, of course, Maple Leafs.

Since then I only look at Reds scores on occassion, gave up on the Sixers when they traded Barkley - even before the Raptors came to town, barely watch hockey anymore, but still bleed B&G.

Suffered through the '80s, lived through the highs and lows of the '90s, and loving these times. My son is 6 and is also a diehard, and this is a great time - watching the Steelers in the SB with my son now old enough to share it.

Other teams in other sports can come and go, but the B&G is forever!

Djfan
01-28-2009, 11:35 AM
Born in 68 and lived in Peters Township until about 2nd grade. First started following the Steelers when Dad came home all excited about the Immaculate Reception in 72, then 8 days later remembering being over my Uncle and Aunt's house when the word of Roberto Clemente's death came over the radio and everyone in the house in Bethal Park was crying. The following season we were listening to Myron and I was a Steeler and Pirate junky.

Probably 2 of the earliest memories I have.

That's just cool. What a great story. Thanks!

BTW, this thread is awesome!

stlrz d
01-28-2009, 11:59 AM
Born and raised in the 'Burgh. So I have ALWAYS been a Steelers fan. I can remember all 4 of the Super Bowls in the 70s. Watching them in my family room.

My earliest memory is watching a preseason game after they drafted Franco and hearing my day cheer and say how impressed he was with him. I was young then, so I thought his name was Frank O'Harris.

Did you think he went to Notre Dame too? :lol: :P

motter1975
01-28-2009, 12:03 PM
Born in 75 and grew up in Bethel Park...lived there until Aug 1990 when my mom transplanted me to VA just before my junior year of high school. Mom and I lived with my grandparents until I was 4...Sundays = Steeler Football. Whole family would sit down to watch the game. And I had to be completely quiet. Only time I was allowed to speak was when the Steelers scored a touchdown and I could jump up and yell "TOUCHDOWN"...then had to sit back down quietly. I actually grew up HATING football because of that...but I still loved the Steelers...they were part of me. When I moved to Virginia, the Steelers were my tie to home, and then when I went to College, I actually started watching football, catching the Steelers when possible, but usually getting stuck with Cowboys or Redskins, 'cause that's who my friends rooted for, and they were the ones with the TVs...so you watch what you can. Superbowl XXX was my Senior year of college, and I was the ONLY one of my friends rooting for the Steelers. Miserable Superbowl, especially with the stupid Dallas fans.

After college and grad school, moved back to VA, met my now husband, and over the past 9 years, football in general has slowly gained more and more importance. Because of him, I've learned a lot more about the game, and the more I learn, the more I enjoy watching it. (Now I correct him on some things, and I am the go to source for football trivia) I think of myself as a fairly new football fan, but a lifelong Steelers fan. I just am now gaining the knowledge to back up my Steelers love.

Growing up though, Steelers weren't about football...they were just a part of my life, and part of who I was and have become. My love of the Steelers has brought me to an enjoyment of the game of football.

RussBII
01-28-2009, 01:36 PM
Born in 1977 in Washington, PA. I swear my dad had no idea i was alive until I cried during a football game. Dad was a huge Steelers fan, had season tickets up until I was old enough to go <i'm not bitter... really>.

Every freaking waking moment in the fall not devoted to playing football was spent talking about the Steelers. When I moved to Raleigh, NC (college location of one Roman Gabriel...just trying to fit in, guys), I went into a tailspin of Steelers related depression. No one cared, no one talked endlessly about it. There was no Fedko Zone or training camp reports. It just killed me. Thank GOODNESS we found a fan club eventually.

I didn't have a choice, I like to think that if I did have a choice, I would've found my way to the Pittsburgh Steelers anyway... because they just play football the right way.

BURGH86STEEL
01-28-2009, 01:42 PM
I was born and raised in Pittsburgh.

Steelgal
01-28-2009, 01:45 PM
I was born in '70. I have 2 older brothers, one was a Steeler fan and the other a Cowgirls fan. When the Steelers beat the Cowboys in Superbowl X, I became a fan and have followed them ever since. So I got my start as a bandwagon fan as a 10 year old, but after living through some brutal years in the 80's, I stayed true and never waivered.

stlrz d
01-28-2009, 01:51 PM
Born in 1977 in Washington, PA. I swear my dad had no idea i was alive until I cried during a football game. Dad was a huge Steelers fan, had season tickets up until I was old enough to go <i'm not bitter... really>.

Every freaking waking moment in the fall not devoted to playing football was spent talking about the Steelers. When I moved to Raleigh, NC (college location of one Roman Gabriel...just trying to fit in, guys), I went into a tailspin of Steelers related depression. No one cared, no one talked endlessly about it. There was no Fedko Zone or training camp reports. It just killed me. Thank GOODNESS we found a fan club eventually.

I didn't have a choice, I like to think that if I did have a choice, I would've found my way to the Pittsburgh Steelers anyway... because they just play football the right way.

YEAH!!!!! :D :P

Jigawatts
01-28-2009, 01:53 PM
Youngstown is Steelers Country and...

:brownssuck

NC Steeler Fan
01-28-2009, 01:54 PM
Born in '64 to a mother from Johnstown and a father from Pittsburgh
although I have lived all my life in North Carolina. My mother was one of
eleven children, all Steeler fans, and my dad's family were all diehards
as well.

I was a fan of the Steelers at conception.

My earliest memories involve me and my mom having to go out on
the front porch because we were too nervous to watch the end of the
game sometimes if it was a close score. My dad would yell out to us
to get back in the house once the game was over.

As an adult, I can honestly say I try real hard not to be an "obnoxious"
Steeler fan. I give credit where it's due, but if pushed by another
team's fan and disrespected enough, I'll chew somebody's head off
and spit down their neck.... :twisted:

And, as a female NFL fan, it gives me great pleasure to be able to talk
intelligently about Steeler players and performance with guys who proclaim to
be fans of other teams, but who can't even name their back up QB....

Heh, heh, heh....yeah....like that patsie puff in the building downstairs... 8)

RuthlessBurgher
01-28-2009, 02:06 PM
And, as a female NFL fan, it gives me great pleasure to be able to talk
intelligently about Steeler players and performance with guys who proclaim to
be fans of other teams, but who can't even name their back up QB....

Heh, heh, heh....yeah....like that patsie puff in the building downstairs... 8)

C'mon, patsie puff...even I know that the QB depth chart in New England is Tom Brady, Matt Cassel, rookie Kevin O'Connell, and Matt Gutierrez. And I think New England sucks!!!

jj28west
01-28-2009, 08:31 PM
Guys (& Gals),

Not to sound too dramtic but you got Steeler Nation documentary 2009 material with these kick a$$ posts...It sounds a little corny but I cant get over how many of us recall those same historical Steeler moments that took place years ago (not even in a Super Bowl moment) and remember it like it was yesterday. Its a pretty cool common bond to share.

buckeyehoppy
01-29-2009, 01:45 AM
Guys (& Gals),

Not to sound too dramtic but you got Steeler Nation documentary 2009 material with these kick a$$ posts...It sounds a little corny but I cant get over how many of us recall those same historical Steeler moments that took place years ago (not even in a Super Bowl moment) and remember it like it was yesterday. Its a pretty cool common bond to share.

Well, if we're all documentary material I hope they don't forget the Steelers fans forged behind enemy lines.

Born 1965 in Lakewood, Ohio. Grew up in Bay Village, Ohio and now live in Lakewood again. I am a life long Clevelander.

First became a fan in the early 80s. Growing up, one of my buds was a Steelers fan and I had occasions to watch the Steelers with his family. Living in Cleveland, I watched a lot of the Clowns, like a knucklehead, when I was young. But I started following the Steelers in 1983.

BTW, Louis Lipps was my first favorite player along with Bryan Hinkle. Wasn't a huge football fan because I enjoyed PLAYING the game more. But after graduating, I started watching the game more and more and it was the Steelers I was primarily interested in. The early years were difficult because the Clowns, believe it or not, were winning more than losing (until they got to games that mattered, that is :lol: ).

But I kept reading up on the Steelers. Learned the history and read Steelers Digest. Once Cowher was hired, the team began to really win again and, by then, I had half of Cleveland p!ssed off at me that I dared be a Steelers fan.

Well, the Steelers had some very good years with Coach Cowher and, now, with Coach Tomlin, it looks like we are back to the glory days.

I can't imagine what possessed me to ever be a Clowns fan. Then again, I was just a kid then. I did a lot of stupid crap when I was kid. So, I'll just chalk up the Clowns fan thing to youth and stupidity. I grew up...and grew to be a Steelers fan.

The Steelers have one of the greatest traditions in ALL of sports history. Well, I was a history major in college so my guess is that it follows that I would become a fan of a team with such a great history.

But I am becoming a bigger Steelers fan all the time...and, FWIW, I'm in the process of p!ssing off the the other half of Cleveland or, at least, the half that still gives a fu(k about a Clowns team that reinvents itself every three years but still renders the same result they have for the last 45 years.

Needless to say, I will be a Steelers fan until I die! And I'll have it no other way.

:tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1

Mel Blount's G
01-29-2009, 02:04 AM
Born in '68

Was a fan since: As long as I can remember. I'm guessing 5-6 years oldish. Playing football was huge in my family and mu neighborhood. I loved nothing more than a pick up gAme of tackle football with friends and family. I grew up in Southern Cali so we went year round (not that cold weather people didn't but I'm just sayin'). I can't remember when I actually made the steelers my team and therefore can't remember precisely why. No one in my immediate family was a steelers fan. My Dad is the classic fairweather/bandwagon fan, of all sports, and I remember him liking the Raiders back then. Lota chargers fans as well as cowboy fans in my 'hood. I probably came to love the Steelers because:

- I loved defense and hitting people. I came to idolize Jack Lambert and wanted to BE him. Lambert, Ham, Shell, Blount, Mean Joe, L.C - my heroes. Myself and 2 other guys would take on (and dominate!) the whole class during elementary school in tackle football. We each had a home-made terrible towel and we were: Lambert, Ham and Shell
- I loved the black n gold colors as well as the Steelers logo. Seems cheesey but were talkin about a little kid here

stlrz d
01-29-2009, 11:23 AM
Guys (& Gals),

Well, if we're all documentary material I hope they don't forget the Steelers fans forged behind enemy lines.

Born 1965 in Lakewood, Ohio. Grew up in Bay Village, Ohio and now live in Lakewood again. I am a life long Clevelander.

First became a fan in the early 80s. Growing up, one of my buds was a Steelers fan and I had occasions to watch the Steelers with his family. Living in Cleveland, I watched a lot of the Clowns, like a knucklehead, when I was young. But I started following the Steelers in 1983.

BTW, Louis Lipps was my first favorite player along with Bryan Hinkle. Wasn't a huge football fan because I enjoyed PLAYING the game more. But after graduating, I started watching the game more and more and it was the Steelers I was primarily interested in. The early years were difficult because the Clowns, believe it or not, were winning more than losing (until they got to games that mattered, that is :lol: ).

But I kept reading up on the Steelers. Learned the history and read Steelers Digest. Once Cowher was hired, the team began to really win again and, by then, I had half of Cleveland p!ssed off at me that I dared be a Steelers fan.

Well, the Steelers had some very good years with Coach Cowher and, now, with Coach Tomlin, it looks like we are back to the glory days.

I can't imagine what possessed me to ever be a Clowns fan. Then again, I was just a kid then. I did a lot of stupid crap when I was kid. So, I'll just chalk up the Clowns fan thing to youth and stupidity. I grew up...and grew to be a Steelers fan.

The Steelers have one of the greatest traditions in ALL of sports history. Well, I was a history major in college so my guess is that it follows that I would become a fan of a team with such a great history.

But I am becoming a bigger Steelers fan all the time...and, FWIW, I'm in the process of p!ssing off the the other half of Cleveland or, at least, the half that still gives a fu(k about a Clowns team that reinvents itself every three years but still renders the same result they have for the last 45 years.

Needless to say, I will be a Steelers fan until I die! And I'll have it no other way.

:tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1

Wouldn't that be more like "clones" than "reinvents"? :P

Ozey74
01-29-2009, 12:02 PM
Born in the suburbs in 1974. My first recollection of football was around 1980 (when the Steelers won SB #4). Four years later, when I was in the 4th grade, my dad got a job transfer with Alcoa & I had to move to Indiana. This was the same year that the Colts moved to Indianapolis from Baltimore. My family and I have never rooted for any team besides the Steelers. We have bled black and gold our entire lives. We get a kick out of the locals who claim to be life long Colt fans. We all know that is BS. We never saw a Colts license plate until Peyton Mannings second year in the league.

I still make it back to the Burgh every 5 years or so for a game.

:tt2

NW Steeler
01-29-2009, 01:06 PM
Also born in 68'. I've lived in Washington state essentially my whole life. When I was in first grade, we got some new neighbors that had moved there from Pennsylvania. They all wore Steeler gear, and I thought that it was cool as hell. So I started following them and became a hardcore fan. As I've posted before, I finally got to go to Pittsburgh to a game this year, and I can honestly say it was one of the coolest things I have ever done. When I walked into the stadium and saw the giant SB trophies and Walk of Fame, I had goosebumps from head to toe. There is so much tradition to the Steelers. The fact that the Rooneys have owned the team forever and they have a knack for hiring great coaches just adds to their allure. The Steelers always have been and always will be my team.

ground-n-pound
01-29-2009, 01:29 PM
Born and raised in Northern PA (1979) with a family who didnt watch sports. Seen a steelers game and was impressed with the physical power in which they played. At the age of seven I was transformed and will always be a steelers fan. All three of my children are fans and I was able to even convert my wife ( was bills fan ) . We all bleed black and gold. :tt2 :tt1 :tt2 :tt1

feltdizz
01-29-2009, 01:32 PM
Funny thing... My mom and dad used to have Steeler parties in the 70's all the time and I used to cry when we scored because the house would explode with people screaming and it scared the sh#t outta me...

anyway a few years later... I was a fan of Eric Metcalf when he was at Texas and when he went to the Browns I still loved to watch him return kicks.. anyone remember that game he returned 2 kicks to beat us? I missed the game but my Mom taped it and was like "you will hate the outcome but you will appreciate how beautiful the PR's were.

I told my Dad I always liked Metcalf as a player and he flipped out. It was like treason.

Iron Shiek
01-29-2009, 02:02 PM
Funny thing... My mom and dad used to have Steeler parties in the 70's all the time and I used to cry when we scored because the house would explode with people screaming and it scared the sh#t outta me...

anyway a few years later... I was a fan of Eric Metcalf when he was at Texas and when he went to the Browns I still loved to watch him return kicks.. anyone remember that game he returned 2 kicks to beat us? I missed the game but my Mom taped it and was like "you will hate the outcome but you will appreciate how beautiful the PR's were.

I told my Dad I always liked Metcalf as a player and he flipped out. It was like treason.

That is the funniest story right there.

I remember that slippery bastage Metcalf and that game. He was good at returning. He would be good in today's NFL...used like Hester, as a WR and everything. Belicheck would always get stuck in third and long and you knew it was Metcalf up the middle.

Mel Blount's G
01-29-2009, 03:06 PM
:tt1 I've left a few crying, scared and permanently damaged children in my wake during STEELER games. My boys are teens now and they still stay clear of me come game time :Beer My 92 year old Dad makes sure to crank his hearing aid off too. Not sure that's a good thing but hey, it is what it is...

Djfan
01-29-2009, 03:30 PM
My first wife used to tell me to go watch the games somewhere else. Imagine a wife telling you to go to a bar?

Still don't miss her!

ms maggie
01-29-2009, 03:32 PM
Immaculate Reception, that was 1972? Was helping my father paint the kitchen, listening on the radio (is it possible it wasn't televised??). It was like a miracle, really. Moved from Pittsburgh after college but remained black and gold over all the great, and not so great, years.

God I'm old.... :cry:

Ghost
01-29-2009, 04:05 PM
If you were a kid in Pittsburgh in the 70's I do believe it was a law to be a fan! I remember thinking - we're eating dinner in front of TV (4:00 games). Holy cow, this NEVER happens something big is going on. City of Champions in '79 - what a fantastic time to be a kid in the Burgh.

Played catch with Mean Joe Green and his kids in North Park when I was 12 (just lucky as my pop and I were playing with a football and they walked up and joined).

Folks too me to Latrobe. Every kid should go.

Speaking of kids - we're having a SB party and one couple is bringing thier small child. My wife told her friend, "I can probably control our puppy but not my husband! Fair warning"

RuthlessBurgher
01-29-2009, 04:24 PM
"I can probably control our puppy but not my husband! Fair warning"

Mrs. Ghost wins the quote of the day!!! :lol:

sd steel
01-29-2009, 04:40 PM
Immaculate Reception, that was 1972? Was helping my father paint the kitchen, listening on the radio (is it possible it wasn't televised??). It was like a miracle, really. Moved from Pittsburgh after college but remained black and gold over all the great, and not so great, years.

It wasn't televised in Pittsburgh due to the non sellout blackout rules at the time.

feltdizz
01-29-2009, 05:25 PM
[quote="ms maggie":18p9mmty]Immaculate Reception, that was 1972? Was helping my father paint the kitchen, listening on the radio (is it possible it wasn't televised??). It was like a miracle, really. Moved from Pittsburgh after college but remained black and gold over all the great, and not so great, years.

It wasn't televised in Pittsburgh due to the non sellout blackout rules at the time.[/quote:18p9mmty]

Yep... my Dad was downtown and left the bar cause he was PO'ed he bet on the game...
all of a sudden he says cars are riding down the street with people on the hoods and people are throwing paper out of the buildings... ran back to the bar and collected his money and partied all night.

feelthesteel
01-29-2009, 08:31 PM
Since the late 70s
grammer school -i had a Bradshaw wilson football
my friend was a Rams fan and i loved when we kick their ass in SB XIV

i have a STEELER ROOM
that has everything I BLEED BLACK N GOLD!!
FOR LIFE!! :tt2

northgate1980
01-30-2009, 12:58 AM
Grew up in Altoona/Johnstown area, didn't know anything else. The first time I really remember was Bill Cowher's first year, we had home field advantage and I thought "Wow, I get to see the Steelers win a Super Bowl instead of just hearing my dad talk about it" Didn't happen that year, but I have bled black and gold ever since. :tt1