PDA

View Full Version : How confident are you guys/gals?

costanza2k1
01-27-2009, 03:39 PM
That we'll win...I have to admit that I'm getting very nervous right now. It's like media day for the players, people are just slamming me with questions and filling me with doubt heading into this game. I haven't felt this way all year. Talk me down please. What are the reasons why we'll win this game???

steeld95
01-27-2009, 03:46 PM
I think I am actually getting more confident as the week goes on. I was more nervous last week. From seeing all the interviews with our players, it is evident that they are there to do a job. I think the only way we don't win is by us losing the game, not them beating us.

MeetJoeGreene
01-27-2009, 03:47 PM
I am wildly fluctuating still.

But I am always that way.

proudpittsburgher
01-27-2009, 03:48 PM
I am not always the eternal optimist, but I am really confident for this game. To the point where I am predicting a 10+ point win.

RKSteel
01-27-2009, 03:54 PM
:Steel Defense wins championships. :Steel

Jigawatts
01-27-2009, 03:55 PM
I'm confident we'll win, but I always worry about the bad bounces, bad calls, and general bad breaks that swing the momentum in the other teams favor. I know we're the better team and the only way we lose is if we catch those bad breaks.

Steeler Shades
01-27-2009, 04:05 PM
I'm not too confident.
The Cards are the type of team that gives our defense trouble. Decent O-Line, great receivers and a QB that makes quick reads and gets rid of the ball fast. I think overall we're are a better team but if we get into a shooting match (ie. Eagles NFCC) I don't like our chances. 8)

RuthlessBurgher
01-27-2009, 04:13 PM
I was confident we would win, but thought that the Cardinals could give us a decent game. There have been numerous Super Bowls that have been reasonable close this decade.

Then something like this happens.

http://www.azcentral.com/commphotos/view/238095.jpg

Now we will lay the smack down upon them mercilessly. It will be more like that stretch of non-competitive Super Bowls in the 80's when the Raiders spanked the Redskins, the Niners trashed the Dolphins, the Bears whipped the Pats, the Giants and Redskins both beat up on Denver, etc.

"The Terrible Towel is poised to strike and so are the Steelers." -the late, great Myron Cope

Steelgal
01-27-2009, 04:19 PM
I'm worried about our offense starting slow, like they seem to do quite often...... If the Cards have a couple of good series right off of the bat and score, that's my big fear. I don't want to be down by 10 points or more in the 1st quarter. While our defense is amazing, I'm worried they'll have to do too much with a slow-starting offense.

I know Ben has made some amazing comebacks, but not sure my blood pressure or heart can take it in this game. I'm really hoping his less-than-stellar performance in Superbowl XL makes him come out on fire.

Sugar
01-27-2009, 04:27 PM
Hey, they beat the Eagles. Ya know, the one team that most agree beat us (as opposed to us beating ourselves) this year. I know one team beating the other doesn't follow, but I'm just sayin...

NC Steeler Fan
01-27-2009, 04:53 PM
I just know I never talk trash before the game....

But, defense DOES win championships; we have to stop fitzgerald.

Our D will also be on fire with the rumors of Lebeau's retirement too.

I think the fact that most of our guys have been there already vs. the cards
acting like they've already won the world may be a big difference in
our favor as well.

That and them trashing the Terrible Towel keep me cautiously optimistic...

mshifko
01-27-2009, 04:53 PM
it's going to be a good game...i don't think i should expect anything else...i feel confident in our guys, but i mean i'd be lying if i said i was not worried about the cards...they're a good football team with a scary offense...plus i think back to last season when we couldn't run the ball against them...i know it was a year ago but still...

i think it's going to be close guys i really do...i think our guys have that resiliency that will overcome the adversity yet again

papillon
01-27-2009, 05:27 PM
Don't let the talking heads and mediots sway you from what you know. Just because you repeat something over and over doesn't make it true. You've watched the Steelers play 18 games this season and you know what they do well, what they do poorly and what they do inconsistently; formulate your own match ups and opinions about the game and you'll become more calm and assured.

I have watched this Steeler team all year and I am convinced they are one of the most focused and prepared Steeler football teams I have ever watched play football.

Start with the offense:

Ben is playing the best football of the year right now.
Willie Parker is healthy. If willie Parker rushes the ball 22+ plus times this game is over.
Holmes is proving to be a handful in the open field and is getting open
Heath Miller is a first down machine
Mewelde Moore fills in nicely as the third down specialty back and giving Willie a breather.
The offensive line is not nearly as offensive as they were at the beginning of the year.

The special teams:

Some let downs in the playoffs, but overall very good in coverage in this year.
We only need Mitch Berger to not have a punt blocked and it's a positive play
Jeff Reed is automatic
Greg Warren's replacement hasn't had a bad snap since he took over the duties
The return game is adequate and all the Steelers need them to do is not fumble the ball.

The defense:

Talk is that Kurt Warner is going to carve them up; they gave up one 300 yard game all year. If the Cardinals get 300 yards it will be because, the game is over and they are scoring garbage points with the Steelers playing prevent.

The Cardinals offense will be one dimensional; a lot better running teams in the NFL have tried and failed to move the ball on the ground against the Steelers. This Sunday will be no different.

Woodley is healthy and pushing people around like rag dolls. He may not get a sack, but, Kurt Warner will be uncomfortable in the pocket.

Harrison is, well, Harrison. He will be held, but, he'll escape for a few big plays in this game for sacks or losses.

The secondary has quietly done their job and many people are crediting the pass rush. The pass rush has helped, but, rewatch the Ravens game and count how many times the announcers had to say, "There wasn't anyone open downfield and that's why Flacco had to throw the ball away." Our secondary can cover long enough to give the pass rush time to get to Warner.

The defensive line has not been pushed around all year by better offensive lines than the Cardinals. There's no reason to believe it will begin Sunday.

Do you feel better now? :tt2

Pappy

msp26505
01-27-2009, 05:31 PM
:Agree

I'm mostly concerned by my lack of concern.

I feel I should fear the loss more than I do, but I think the Steelers are at least two touchdowns better than the Cards.

Thankfully, I don't play the game.

:tt1

williar
01-27-2009, 06:09 PM
I"m confident, but I'm still nervous as heck. I'm like that for all of the games though. I do believe it's going to be a tough game, and all of that pregame hype is not going to fly in this game. I believe the team that wants it the most and plays like it, is going to win. We are going to have to play our best overall game yet to win. More importantly, our offense is going to have to score some touchdowns to take some pressure off of the defense.

100$handshake
01-27-2009, 06:27 PM
I'm confident because of Ben and the defense. I'm not confident because of Willie Parker..who sucks by the way...and Arians.

Wolfhound45
01-27-2009, 06:38 PM
Relatively confident. Player for player, I feel we have the better team. It is about the intangibles and execution now.

We have to play our game and make the Cardinals earn every yard. Double up LF and frustrate AB. Basically, do to them what we have done to the Bungals multiple times over.

flippy
01-27-2009, 06:46 PM
Ben > Warner and Ben is going to do a better job of going deep, stretching the field, and converting 3rd downs. His shoulder is healed. He'll be prepared and ready to make plays and won't turn the ball over.

Warner's never won in Tampa. He's gonna struggle against our disguised coverages. And we'll be able to do a lot because our pass rush is legit. Kurt can make fast decisions, but has troubles reading defenses sometimes from what I've heard from people that have watched him closely over the years.

I expect the equivalent of what the Giants did to our defense. Short quick passes and we make good tackles in the secondary and there's limited big plays. Kurt could be in trouble against our D if he doesn't try to go vertical and stretch them out. Only problem is Harrison and Wood won't give him the time. Short field against the Steelers is suicide for an offense. So is a QB holding the ball. It's a lose/lose for AZ.

AZ's Dlineman and punter are questionable. That's gonna hurt. Look for Santonio to capitalize on a bad kick.

How bout a Gary Russell return while we're at it. Gary could be the unknown guy to step it up. He's been close a few times.

DukieBoy
01-27-2009, 07:20 PM
I am confident.
It goes beyond needing any explanation.

costanza2k1
01-27-2009, 07:23 PM
Relatively confident. Player for player, I feel we have the better team. It is about the intangibles and execution now.

We have to play our game and make the Cardinals earn every yard. Double up LF and frustrate AB. Basically, do to them what we have done to the Bungals multiple times over.

Thanks all...this one right here did it for me. That's a comparable offense right there as far as WR firepower.

stlrz d
01-27-2009, 07:53 PM
I'm plenty confident.

BradshawsHairdresser
01-27-2009, 08:18 PM
I'm nervous for the following reasons:

1) Arizona has the QB and the receivers to spread out and attack our defense. Warner is excellent at reading blitzes and getting the ball out quickly. They've peaked at the right time, and are smoking hot heading into this game.

2) Bruce Arians has seemingly regressed in game-planning, play-calling, and making adjustments.

Keys to the game (IMO):

1) Getting to Warner--and I mean putting some bodies on him. This might mean moving out of our 3-4 base for a bunch of this game.

2) Coverage by our DBs. Jam Fitz and company right off the snap, and jam them good.
Then, stick with them like glue downfield. The old 7-yard cushion will be a recipe for disaster; Warner will eat us alive if we play that way.

3) Establish the running game on offense. Keep the clock moving, and the ball out of Warner's hands. Long, time-eating drives will be our friend.

4) Don't turn the ball over.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-28-2009, 12:22 AM
My biggest concern?

Like I told a friend today, it is like playing poker. Pockets Aces beats pocket 8's 80% of the time. We should beat this team 4 out of 5 times. This better not be the one!!

AkronSteel
01-28-2009, 01:46 AM
It cracks me up when people say that the Cardinals are dangerous because they have peaked at the right time and are hitting on all cylinders now! Were we not hearing the same thing three weeks ago about the Chargers? Wasn't Darren Sproles going to light us up like a Christmas tree because that is what he did to the Colts, and now Fitzy is going to light us up because he did it to the Eagles! Just sayin...... :HeadBanger

After watching the Steelers on Media Day I have the utmost confidence that they will get it done! They are a relaxed football team that is in Tampa to accomplish a goal. They seem like they knew they were going to be in this position, and now they are there to finish the job!

:tt1

Oviedo
01-28-2009, 09:14 AM
I'm nervous because in my mind the Cards are the worst possible match up that we could have drawn. The Cards offense is the type that has given us fits for years. It specializes in quick short pass completions that get our LBs (strength of the defense) running all over the place in coverage versus pressuring the QB. Then when they get that rythm going they do draws and break off big runs. This will be a very tough test for us.

The only way we win is ball control offense and being able to run on the Cards' defense and convert third downs.

frankthetank1
01-28-2009, 09:38 AM
I'm worried about our offense starting slow, like they seem to do quite often...... If the Cards have a couple of good series right off of the bat and score, that's my big fear. I don't want to be down by 10 points or more in the 1st quarter. While our defense is amazing, I'm worried they'll have to do too much with a slow-starting offense.

I know Ben has made some amazing comebacks, but not sure my blood pressure or heart can take it in this game. I'm really hoping his less-than-stellar performance in Superbowl XL makes him come out on fire.

thats what im really worried about is a bad start just like the sb in 2005. although i think the 2 weeks would affect the cards more than the steelers. im worried that if the cards get a lead early that the steeler offense wont be able to score enough points to come back. fitzgerald is going to get his numbers. they just have to keep him out of the endzone

BradshawsHairdresser
01-28-2009, 12:36 PM
It cracks me up when people say that the Cardinals are dangerous because they have peaked at the right time and are hitting on all cylinders now! Were we not hearing the same thing three weeks ago about the Chargers? Wasn't Darren Sproles going to light us up like a Christmas tree because that is what he did to the Colts, and now Fitzy is going to light us up because he did it to the Eagles! Just sayin...... :HeadBanger

With all due respect, the Chargers and the Cardinals are two entirely different animals.
The Cards have the offensive weapons to spread out our defense and attack us with quick passes into the seams. Philip Rivers is a good quarterback; Kurt Warner is a Super-Bowl winning quarterback with great wide receivers. I was never as concerned about the Chargers' offense as I am about the Cardinals' offense.

Our Steelers will have very little room for error in this one, IMO.

stlrz d
01-28-2009, 12:57 PM

With all due respect, the Chargers and the Cardinals are two entirely different animals.
The Cards have the offensive weapons to spread out our defense and attack us with quick passes into the seams. Philip Rivers is a good quarterback; Kurt Warner is a Super-Bowl winning quarterback with great wide receivers. I was never as concerned about the Chargers' offense as I am about the Cardinals' offense.

Our Steelers will have very little room for error in this one, IMO.

So did the Colts in '05. ;)

I'm very confident as evidenced here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4936 (http://planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4936)

costanza2k1
01-28-2009, 02:30 PM
Don't let the talking heads and mediots sway you from what you know. Just because you repeat something over and over doesn't make it true. You've watched the Steelers play 18 games this season and you know what they do well, what they do poorly and what they do inconsistently; formulate your own match ups and opinions about the game and you'll become more calm and assured.

I have watched this Steeler team all year and I am convinced they are one of the most focused and prepared Steeler football teams I have ever watched play football.

Start with the offense:

Ben is playing the best football of the year right now.
Willie Parker is healthy. If willie Parker rushes the ball 22+ plus times this game is over.
Holmes is proving to be a handful in the open field and is getting open
Heath Miller is a first down machine
Mewelde Moore fills in nicely as the third down specialty back and giving Willie a breather.
The offensive line is not nearly as offensive as they were at the beginning of the year.

The special teams:

Some let downs in the playoffs, but overall very good in coverage in this year.
We only need Mitch Berger to not have a punt blocked and it's a positive play
Jeff Reed is automatic
Greg Warren's replacement hasn't had a bad snap since he took over the duties
The return game is adequate and all the Steelers need them to do is not fumble the ball.

The defense:

Talk is that Kurt Warner is going to carve them up; they gave up one 300 yard game all year. If the Cardinals get 300 yards it will be because, the game is over and they are scoring garbage points with the Steelers playing prevent.

The Cardinals offense will be one dimensional; a lot better running teams in the NFL have tried and failed to move the ball on the ground against the Steelers. This Sunday will be no different.

Woodley is healthy and pushing people around like rag dolls. He may not get a sack, but, Kurt Warner will be uncomfortable in the pocket.

Harrison is, well, Harrison. He will be held, but, he'll escape for a few big plays in this game for sacks or losses.

The secondary has quietly done their job and many people are crediting the pass rush. The pass rush has helped, but, rewatch the Ravens game and count how many times the announcers had to say, "There wasn't anyone open downfield and that's why Flacco had to throw the ball away." Our secondary can cover long enough to give the pass rush time to get to Warner.

The defensive line has not been pushed around all year by better offensive lines than the Cardinals. There's no reason to believe it will begin Sunday.

Do you feel better now? :tt2

Pappy

Yes I do.

:Bow