PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Steelers Quotes

flippy
01-27-2009, 12:29 PM
"I don't want to injure anyone, but I don't mind hurting them." - James Harrison

Jooser
01-27-2009, 01:02 PM
"...they asked for us, well they got us...." (paraphrasing) Hines Ward on the Ravens and the AFCCG. :lol:

http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p262/jooser73/3382228727.jpg

Iron Shiek
01-27-2009, 01:04 PM
See my sig....I like Hines quotes.

Ben's was pretty good too when asked if Hines was gonna play. He said something to the effect of When I hear someone ask me that question I wanna smack em.

MeetJoeGreene
01-27-2009, 01:06 PM
Found these on Steelersfever:

Famous Quotes
"Now that I'm here, I don't want to just be here, I want to be here for a long time." Hines Ward, 1998 4th round draft pick.

"If that boy billionaire thinks he can shut me up, he should stick his head in a can of paint." Steelers announcer Myron Cope, after Washington Redskins owner Daniel Snyder sent someone into the broadcast booth during a game to tell Cope to stop referring to his team as the "Wash Redfaces" (2000).

"It's like what they said about the raptor in Jurassic Park - one of us gets your attention, the other one gets you." Greg Lloyd.

"Chuck and I hit it off the first day we met. We had an argument." Art Rooney.

"Who is Joe Namath? This is a guy who, if he played in the league today, I'd probably just go hit him late and see what he did, just for the hell of it. Joe Namath can go to hell; he can kiss my ass." Greg Lloyd, after NBC commentator Joe Namath accused Lloyd of playing dirty (1991).

"I am very aggressive and very physical. On the field I guess I am just plain mean." Jack Lambert.

"We're coming from everywhere. We play with 15 guys in the huddle. We have guys parachuting from airplanes, fans coming from out of the stands to help us go after people." Kevin Greene.

"I hated putting on that purple uniform, and I hated that raven bird. What really ticked me off is when we played Pittsburgh our whole stadium seemed to be filled with Pittsburgh fans." Tackle Orlando Brown, on playing in Baltimore for Art Modell's Ravens (1999).

"If I could start my life all over again, I would be a professional football player, and you damn well better believe I would be a Pittsburgh Steeler." Jack Lambert, 1990 HoF Introduction.
"Going after the QB is like playing king of the mountain. When you get the QB, you're on top of the mountain." Joe Greene.

"I believe the game is designed to reward the ones who hit the hardest. If you can't take it, you shouldn't play." Jack Lambert.

"He had no teeth, and he was slobbering all over himself. I'm thinking, 'You can have your money back, just get me out of here. Let me go be an accountant." I can't tell you how badly I wanted out of there." Denver rookie QB John Elway, on Jack Lambert, after Lambert and the Steelers knocked Elway out of his first game as a pro (1983).

"I'm not out there to pussyfoot or be your friend. I have a lot of friends around the league. But I don't know you when you're on the field. I play the game." Greg Lloyd

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight." Joe Greene

"It's time to plant some seeds. What that means is, hit them in the mouth. Ya know, plant some seeds. Show 'em what time it is." Levon Kirkland

Discipline of Steel
01-27-2009, 01:27 PM
I love Jack Lambert quotes!

'They cant intimidate us! We're supposed to be the intimidators.'

flippy
01-27-2009, 07:00 PM
"Be where you're at."

Tomlin

AngryAsian
01-27-2009, 10:40 PM
"Be where you're at."

Tomlin

Does anybody have that Tomlin quote at the beginning of the year where he said something similar to "Football is a game of violence, the object is to be the more violent team and win..." or something to that affect. Anybody remember that one?

papillon
01-27-2009, 10:49 PM
From the Emperor Charles Noll:

"A life of frustration is inevitable for any coach whose main enjoyment is winning."

"Some coaches pray for wisdom. I pray for 260-pound tackles. They'll give me plenty of wisdom."

“The thrill isn't in the winning, it's in the doing.”

"The key to a winning season is focusing on one opponent at a time. Winning one week at a time. Never look back and never look ahead.”

"Before you can win a game, you have to not lose it. "

All hail the emperor Chas :Bow :Bow

:tt2 :tt2 :tt2

I need two tickets to Sixburgh please! :Beer

Pappy

proudpittsburgher
01-27-2009, 11:36 PM
You play fast, you play smart, but above all, you-----play------physical

Bill Cowher

mshifko
01-28-2009, 12:41 AM
"we've got miles to go before we sleep" mike tomlin

love that saying...it's so true and it's the definition of what this football team is all about

stlrz d
01-28-2009, 11:30 AM

love that saying...it's so true and it's the definition of what this football team is all about

Stopping by Woods on a Snowy Evening
Robert Frost

Whose woods these are I think I know.
His house is in the village, though;
He will not see me stopping here
To watch his woods fill up with snow.

My little horse must think it queer
To stop without a farmhouse near
Between the woods and frozen lake
The darkest evening of the year.

He gives his harness bells a shake
To ask if there's some mistake.
The only other sound's the sweep
Of easy wind and downy flake.

The woods are lovely, dark and deep,
But I have promises to keep,
And miles to go before I sleep,
And miles to go before I sleep.

flippy
01-28-2009, 01:13 PM

Robert Frost

I wish some reporter would ask Tomlin about this quote he's used repeatedly.

What does Tomlin think the Woods are? The Snow? The Sleep?

Lots of ways this could be interpreted.

1. In the context of the season. Sleep is the end of the Season. Could be after a SuperBowl. The Woods could be everyone outside the Steelers org. And the snow is the distraction.

2. I think sleep is more likely the end of each player's career. And it's about avoiding distractions and focusing on what we collectively want to accomplish. It's a Dynasty poem.

3. But I've always thought sleep was death. So it could be until the death of a player. Death of the organization. Death of the team. Maybe Tomlin wants players to become better people as individuals. As friends. As co-workers. And maybe this call transcends football. Maybe it's a call to transcend individualism and individual teams and be part of the bigger Steelers org. To be part of the NFL. To be part of the city of Pittsburgh. To carry on the legacy of the 5 Lombardis that have come before. And lay a groundwork for the future.

The other thing I've always wondered about great poetry is did the poet know the depth of his writings. Or was it an accident. And was it intended to just be a simple story. And we put more into it as a reader than we should.

RuthlessBurgher
01-28-2009, 01:16 PM

Robert Frost

I wish some reporter would ask Tomlin about this quote he's used repeatedly.

What does Tomlin think the Woods are? The Snow? The Sleep?

Lots of ways this could be interpreted.

1. In the context of the season. Sleep is the end of the Season. Could be after a SuperBowl. The Woods could be everyone outside the Steelers org. And the snow is the distraction.

2. I think sleep is more likely the end of each player's career. And it's about avoiding distractions and focusing on what we collectively want to accomplish. It's a Dynasty poem.

3. But I've always thought sleep was death. So it could be until the death of a player. Death of the organization. Death of the team. Maybe Tomlin wants players to become better people as individuals. As friends. As co-workers. And maybe this call transcends football. Maybe it's a call to transcend individualism and individual teams and be part of the bigger Steelers org. To be part of the NFL. To be part of the city of Pittsburgh. To carry on the legacy of the 5 Lombardis that have come before. And lay a groundwork for the future.

The other thing I've always wondered about great poetry is did the poet know the depth of his writings. Or was it an accident. And was it intended to just be a simple story. And we put more into it as a reader than we should.

And mshifko said I could have been SeaOracle! Sheesh! :lol:

RussBII
01-28-2009, 01:25 PM
"They shot me in Denver!!!"

That cracks me up every time I think about it.

And I don't know who said it, or if this is accurate, or even the back story of it, but I assume it was in response to some Cowboy's BS:

"We're not America's team... We're Pittsburgh's team"

Iron Shiek
01-28-2009, 01:27 PM
"Who Dey?

We Dey!"

--Bill Cowher

BURGH86STEEL
01-28-2009, 01:29 PM
"I don't want to injure anyone, but I don't mind hurting them." - James Harrison

I got a good laugh out of Harrison today. He hates the media.