PDA

View Full Version : Cardinals bracing for onslaught of Steelers fans in Tampa



JAR
01-26-2009, 08:58 AM
:tt1 Like we didn't know this already. :) Kind of confirms it though.

TAMPA The Arizona Cardinals held a distinct advantage as the home team during the 2008 season. They were 8-2, including two playoff victories. They are the designated home team for Super Bowl XLIII on Sunday against the Pittsburgh Steelers and will wear their home red uniforms.

There the edge ends. It is Steelers fans who are likely to fill Raymond James Stadium. The Steelers' long history of titles has forged a national following that the Cardinals as newbies lack.

"I know there's going to be some yellow towels in the stands," says Cardinals backup quarterback Brian St. Pierre, who played four years for the Steelers.

"I'm hoping we'll travel pretty well with the excitement we've brewed. But yes, I know there's going to be a lot of Steelers fans there and they're going to make their presence felt."

In the secondary ticket market, Pittsburgh swamps Arizona in demand.

"We've been much stronger in Pennsylvania than Arizona," says Michael Hershfield of LiveStub, a five-month-old online clearinghouse that charges no commission or service fee on fan-posted tickets.

"Three times as many inquiries have come from Pennsylvania. There's just more Steelers fans than Cardinals fans. There's not the same cachet in being a Cardinals fan."

The Cardinals seem to accept being underdogs in sentiment as well as against the point spread (which favors Pittsburgh by seven).

"They're a little closer to Tampa than we are so they'll probably get first dibs on tickets and I know they'll pay," says Cardinals defensive end Bryan Robinson.

"But we have some fans and for the first Super Bowl I am sure we will have quite a few who will go to Tampa."

If they do, Hershfield's advice is to wait to buy. Face price for tickets is $800 and $1,000, but the secondary market number averages $3,580, Hershfield says. That's down 19% in the last four days because of the general economic distress

"There will be a trend down in price," he says. "These are tough times."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football ... fans_N.htm (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/2009-01-25-super-fans_N.htm)

Oviedo
01-26-2009, 09:04 AM
The Steelers Nation rule. I was at a large mall here in the Orlando area and must have seen over a hundred people walking around with Steelers gear on.

The Steelers are Orlando's team. Steeler fans far outnumber even Dolphins, Bucs and Jags. If the Steelers ever had a preseason exhibition game at the Citrus Bowl it would sell out in record time.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-26-2009, 10:16 AM
Sure there are a lot of ticket requests from PA, and I'm sure they have to be at least 95% from B&G faithful. Now consider that I'm sure a certain percentage of the AZ requests are also from Steelers fans. Now, how about the rest of the country? I'll bet that about 75% of tickets sold outside of PA are from Steelers fans with the other 25% split between Cards fans (mostly new fans from this year) and just football fans who want to go to the SB.

I doubt that RJ Stadium will resemble the B&G onslaught in Detroit for SB XL, but it probably won't be far behind.

MeetJoeGreene
01-26-2009, 12:32 PM
How great would it be for Warner and AZ to have to use silent counts and the like becuase of too much crowd noise in the Super Bowl??

Flasteel
01-26-2009, 01:17 PM
The Steelers Nation rule. I was at a large mall here in the Orlando area and must have seen over a hundred people walking around with Steelers gear on.

The Steelers are Orlando's team. Steeler fans far outnumber even Dolphins, Bucs and Jags. If the Steelers ever had a preseason exhibition game at the Citrus Bowl it would sell out in record time.

It's all Black-n-Gold down here in Bradenton as well. Everywhere I go there are people sporting their colors and showing their pride. I was speaking to classrooms of elementary school students this morning wearing one of my Steelers polo shirts and the kids were all cheering for the Steeers...it was awesome!

Iron Shiek
01-26-2009, 02:06 PM
Sure there are a lot of ticket requests from PA, and I'm sure they have to be at least 95% from B&G faithful. Now consider that I'm sure a certain percentage of the AZ requests are also from Steelers fans. Now, how about the rest of the country? I'll bet that about 75% of tickets sold outside of PA are from Steelers fans with the other 25% split between Cards fans (mostly new fans from this year) and just football fans who want to go to the SB.

I doubt that RJ Stadium will resemble the B&G onslaught in Detroit for SB XL, but it probably won't be far behind.


You are forgetting the huge ( :lol: ) contigent of Cardinals fans from St. Louis...ahh the good old days of Neil Lomax and Dan Dierdork... :lol: :lol:

Jigawatts
01-26-2009, 02:34 PM
The Steelers Nation rule. I was at a large mall here in the Orlando area and must have seen over a hundred people walking around with Steelers gear on.

The Steelers are Orlando's team. Steeler fans far outnumber even Dolphins, Bucs and Jags. If the Steelers ever had a preseason exhibition game at the Citrus Bowl it would sell out in record time.

It's all Black-n-Gold down here in Bradenton as well. Everywhere I go there are people sporting their colors and showing their pride. I was speaking to classrooms of elementary school students this morning wearing one of my Steelers polo shirts and the kids were all cheering for the Steeers...it was awesome!

Community service???

:lol: :lol: :lol:

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-26-2009, 08:03 PM
[quote="steeler_fan_in_t.o.":2sg0l399]Sure there are a lot of ticket requests from PA, and I'm sure they have to be at least 95% from B&G faithful. Now consider that I'm sure a certain percentage of the AZ requests are also from Steelers fans. Now, how about the rest of the country? I'll bet that about 75% of tickets sold outside of PA are from Steelers fans with the other 25% split between Cards fans (mostly new fans from this year) and just football fans who want to go to the SB.

I doubt that RJ Stadium will resemble the B&G onslaught in Detroit for SB XL, but it probably won't be far behind.


You are forgetting the huge ( :lol: ) contigent of Cardinals fans from St. Louis...ahh the good old days of Neil Lomax and Dan Dierdork... :lol: :lol:[/quote:2sg0l399]

LOL You may be right because those same 8 fans went on to become Kurt Warner fans as well. :lol:

stlrz d
01-26-2009, 08:37 PM
http://www.tampabay.com/sports/football ... 970224.ece (http://www.tampabay.com/sports/football/bucs/article970224.ece)


Man about town: Where are the Cardinals fans?
By John C. Cotey, Times Sports Columnist
In Print: Sunday, January 25, 2009

Steelers fans are everywhere.

Ordering coffee in front of me. Cutting me off in traffic with their team flags fluttering in the wind. Buying Super Bowl merchandise at the mall.

Everywhere.

Cardinals fans?

Nowhere.

No, really. I checked.



I called the Cardinals to get the number to the Tampa chapter of their fan club.

Doesn't exist, the woman on the phone told me.

Okay, how about the national one?

Doesn't exist either.

"We don't have anything official; have you tried the Internet?"

Off to the Cardinals' Official Web Site, where I created a handle DeckofCards and asked where I could find Tampa-based fans of the Cardinals.

Bump.

Hello?

Bump.

Hello?



Hit the malls, where any self-respecting Cardinals fan would be strutting around in full gear.

I was the first one in Sports Fan Attic one morning.

Dr. Peter Szackacs was second.

I thought I had my man when we both headed for the Super Bowl section. But just over $100 worth of Steeler glasses, shot glasses, tattoos, T-shirts and one flag later, I knew I was wrong.

"Good luck," Szackacs said.

The Wesley Chapel chiropractor said he only knew one Cardinals fan. One of his patients.

"I could call and see if they'll talk to you," he offered.

But I wasn't ready to throw in the Terrible Towel just yet.

He shared some local Steeler hotspots with me, and together we figured out where the Cardinals probably gather to watch their team.

Little place called "Phoenix."



I went back in the store and found out it had sold its only Edgerrin James jersey last week. It was the same one that went unsold last year.

And the year before that.

Outside of two generic Super Bowl T-shirts, it was Cardinals-free.

I walked by a table filled with discounted Kansas City Chiefs, Atlanta Falcons and Super Bowl XXXVII hats on my way out.



At another store, I found a J.J. Arrington No. 28 jersey.

That is a real player, right?

"I don't know where that came from," the guy working the floor told me.

But I think we know where it's going.

Nowhere.



Matt Leinart's official No. 7 NFL jersey the Sports Fan Attic at WestShore Plaza is throwing in the cobwebs for free hung amid a sea of seven different Steeler black and gold jerseys: Roethlisberger, Parker, Ward, Woodley, Harrison, Holmes and Polamalu.

Matt Leinart? What, were they out of Charlie Batch jerseys?

I saw jerseys for NFL greats like David Garrard, Frank Gore, Chris Cooley, Braylon Edwards, Devin Hester and Wes Welker.

I did not see Kurt Warner or Larry Fitzgerald or Anquan Boldin.

"Maybe next week," I was told.

I tried on two different Detroit Lions hats on the way out, just for fun.



I'm not dissing Cardinals fans. I know you're out there. In Chicago. In St. Louis. In Tuscon.

And let's face it, Pittsburgh fans are already here, sharing space with their frostbite-fearing friends from Cleveland and Green Bay and Chicago and New York.

The Steeler faithful beat their football team down here, two months and a dozen snowfalls ago.

Snowbirds, we have lots of.

But Sunbirds?

Still, I was determined enough to spend an hour at the Super Bowl Merchandise store on West Shore Boulevard.

Patty, who was working the counter, offered to help find a Cardinals fan. Each time someone walked in, she shouted "Go Cardinals!"

"Pffft."

"Heck no."

"Booo."

Patty went 0-for-7.

She swore she had seen Cardinal fans this week. Promised one would eventually show up.

She was waiting on hangers to put up her final box of Super Bowl T-shirts.

I was waiting on Cardinal fans.

Eventually, the hangers showed up and Patty went back to work.

John C. Cotey can be reached at johncotey@gmail.com.