View Full Version : Looks like the Rats have their new DC

stlrz d
01-26-2009, 01:34 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3860312

Sources: Mattison to D-coordinator
By Chris Mortensen
ESPN.com
Archive

The Baltimore Ravens have promoted linebackers coach Greg Mattison to defensive coordinator to replace Rex Ryan, sources said on Sunday.

Also promoted was special assistant Vic Fangio, who will become the assistant head coach/defense and coach linebackers, the sources said.

Mattison had been a longtime college defensive coach -- most recently for the University of Florida -- before he joined Ravens coach John Harbaugh's staff prior to the 2008 season.

An announcement is expected shortly. Ravens officials could not be reached for comment late Sunday night.

Djfan
01-26-2009, 01:49 AM
The talking heads are saying that Ray Ray may leave to follow Ryan.

Buh-bye!

stlrz d
01-26-2009, 10:24 AM
I'm hoping the Rats throw a bunch of money (read: over pay) at him so he stays. It will hurt them elsewhere then! :P

papillon
01-26-2009, 10:39 AM
I'm hoping the Rats throw a bunch of money (read: over pay) at him so he stays. It will hurt them elsewhere then! :P

And, let Suggs walk and keep Bart Scott.

Pappy

stlrz d
01-26-2009, 10:48 AM

Pappy

Precisely!

Mel Blount's G
01-26-2009, 10:50 AM

Pappy
Keep and overpay all 3 of them as far as I'm concerned. Agreed pappy that thuggs is the best of those 3 but I'm quite happy to keep things just the way they are in felontown. And if they break the bank for those 3 it will mean their many other areas of need might remain neglected.

rpmpit
01-26-2009, 10:54 AM
The talking heads are saying that Ray Ray may leave to follow Ryan.

Buh-bye!

Most of the Jets fans I've spoken to are saying (and hoping for) this. Two head cases like Favre and this jackass on the same team?? Yeah, that'll work :lol: :lol:

Oviedo
01-26-2009, 10:57 AM

Pappy

The Ravens will try hard to keep two of the three with regards to Lewis, Suggs and Scott. Scott is probably the most expendible in terms of contribution. Suggs will be a hot property and not knowing the Ravens cap situation he will draw huge money from a large number of teams.

Best case for us is that they lose two of three. That essentially guts their defense. If that happens I could see the Ravens taking a major step back next year.

papillon
01-26-2009, 11:08 AM
Just some other information about the Ravens that a Ravens fan was telling me this weekend.

Jim Leonard who stepped in admirably this year is a free agent

Ed Reed is talking about retirement and, evidently, this isn't the first time. He has some type of nerve damage in his neck that makes it painful to tackle. That's why he didn't do much tackling this year.

Suggs, Lewis and Scott the obvious

Lost Rex Ryan

Their secondary is depleted

The Ravens fans are believing that next year will be a down year with all the change.

Pappy

Djfan
01-26-2009, 11:16 AM
Just some other information about the Ravens that a Ravens fan was telling me this weekend.

Ed Reed is talking about retirement and, evidently, this isn't the first time. He has some type of nerve damage in his neck that makes it painful to tackle. That's why he didn't do much tackling this year.

Lost Rex Ryan

The Ravens fans are believing that next year will be a down year with all the change.

Pappy

Good news!

Oviedo
01-26-2009, 11:42 AM

Lost Rex Ryan

Pappy

I think the Ratbirds could drop to 3rd in the AFC North. Flacco could have his very own "Derek Anderson come back to earth" season. Their defense is getting old and it is unlikely they avoid injuries across the board on defense like they did this year with their first line players.

Question is who will challenge for #2--Stains or Bumgals. Right now I would have to say the Stains since I think the Bumgals could end up losing both Ocho and TJ. Withpout those two their entire offense is back to saquare one.

Yet again the Steelers will be #1.

Discipline of Steel
01-26-2009, 11:56 AM

Lost Rex Ryan

Pappy

I think the Ratbirds could drop to 3rd in the AFC North. Flacco could have his very own "Derek Anderson come back to earth" season. Their defense is getting old and it is unlikely they avoid injuries across the board on defense like they did this year with their first line players.

Question is who will challenge for #2--Stains or Bumgals. Right now I would have to say the Stains since I think the Bumgals could end up losing both Ocho and TJ. Withpout those two their entire offense is back to saquare one.

Yet again the Steelers will be #1.

#2 will be the Bengals. They closed the year hot. Cleve may push Balt down another peg but their QB will be Fraidy Queen, nuff said.