PDA

View Full Version : Reverse Psychology...Can the Cards stop the Steelers?

Steel Life
01-24-2009, 05:40 PM
The incessant line on the game from the media has been - "can the Steelers stop the Cards offense?"

My thought is - can the Cards stop ours...if we don't shoot ourselves in the foot like the way we did against TN?

As far as I know, they don't have a great scheme & they have good - not great - players (Dansby, Dockett, Wilson & maybe Cromartie). So what do they have to focus on? Stopping the run like the Ravens? Blitzing Ben non-stop like the Eagles? Or do they run 7 DB's out there to clog the passing lanes?

What do you guys think?

NorthCoast
01-24-2009, 06:06 PM
The Cards did a fairly decent job against Philly for about 2 1/2 qtrs. who were ranked about 15 spots better than us on offense, so my take is they will be able to cause our O a few problems. Any way you slice it, if our D cannot keep it a low-scoring game, we will be in trouble.

Ozey74
01-24-2009, 06:21 PM
I believe I read somewhere that the Cards offense is doing good against 4-3 defenses and not so much against 3-4.

:tt2

SuperSize
01-24-2009, 06:50 PM
The Steelers left a bunch of points on the field last week against the 2nd best defense in the NFL (Sweed's drop, Parker's drop/Tone's non-catch, FG at the end of the half, Ben missing Holmes on the slant). Regardless of the season stats, there is no reason to think that Pittsburgh will not move up & down the field against Arizona.

Like Steel Life said, if they don't shoot themselves in the foot, the Steelers will hang 31-35 points on the Cards.

Pete

sd steel
01-24-2009, 07:02 PM
No Turnovers by our offense and we win easily. The Cards can't stuff the run like the Ravens. They can't stuff the run like the Chargers, and Willie had a big day against them.

LeBeau will put together a plan to silence Fitz, just like Moss, TO, 85 etc.

The only way we lose is if we turn the ball over alot and Whiz and co put together some trick plays to catch us off guard. (I don't see it).

If I were Whiz I would play man against our receivers, and make sure my DE's had outside contain against Willie all day and then stunt up the middle to take advantage of Kemo's inability to pick it up. We have been alot better against cut back running, but we are still open for screens and draws especially in passing situations. Also with the cushions we give on the receivers quick slants to march down the field would be my main attack. LeBeau and this defense won't give up the big play often, but to sustain long drives without running the ball effectively screens, draws and slants might work.

Then look for Whiz to use trickery on special teams via fake punts, fake field goals, onside kicks, drop kicks etc. The Steelers defense will expect the Cards offense to do it, but special teams is where the Cards could take advantage of it.

In reality no one expects the Cards to beat us head to head, so Whiz has nothing to lose and everthing to gain by going in to his bag of tricks.

Steel Life
01-24-2009, 08:17 PM
Arizona is...
- 16th in Run Defense, allowing just over 110 yds/gm
- 22nd in Pass Defense, allowing just over 221 yds/gm
- 28th in Points Allowed, allowing 26.6 pts/gm

If Willie (or Moore...I'm feeling generous :wink: ) rushes for what they allow on average - we win the game hands down. It's clear that a good running game coupled with the play-action pass, will be our primary focus from the first snap.