PDA

View Full Version : Somebody might have to be cut

Discipline of Steel
01-24-2009, 03:41 PM
http://www.steelerslive.com/blog/chris_ ... ave_be_cut (http://www.steelerslive.com/blog/chris_kucharski/2009/terrible_blog_somebody_might_have_be_cut)

Submitted by Chris Kucharski on January 23rd, 2009

Mike Tomlin might have to make the most difficult decision of his coaching career later next week. Somebody might have to be left behind for Super Bowl XLIII.

We are figuratively speaking here as the player will probably be allowed to accompany the team and be a part of the team in Tampa. They just won't be on the official 53-man roster.

So, why does this have to happen?

Hines Ward

Yes, he will play in Super Bowl XLIII, but Tomlin has to have insurance. If Ward cannot keep playing, the Steelers would be down to three wide receivers and although they got by on Sunday against Baltimore, they can't chance it next week.

The Steelers have several options and they were all inactive for both playoff games. None of these guys will be active for the Super Bowl.

So, who is to go?

S Anthony Smith, CB Fernando Bryant, LB Bruce Davis, OL Tony Hills, OT Jason Capizzi, DT Scott Paxson, DE Orpheus Roye are your choices.

All of these players would become free agents as soon as they were released so that eliminates Hills and Davis who were draft picks last season. The Steelers still have Smith under control for one more season so it probably won't be him. Roye is a long-time veteran who the Steelers will probably keep out of respect. That leaves us with Bryant, Capizzi and Paxson. Capizzi was the last added and Bryant before him. I am guessing it will be one of those two.

Once that is done, the Steelers will then have to deactivate a player for the Super Bowl that had been active for all of the playoffs in order to activate Baker.

This is even a tougher decision because now you are telling someone they can't play in the game. The odds are that it will be one of the linebackers - Andre Frazier or Patrick Bailey although CB Anthony Madison might be considered. Carey Davis is a long shot although his special teams play to open the game last week probably keeps him on.

Bill Cowher made a similar decision under different circumstances by acitivating Duce Staley for Super Bowl XL even though Staley had hardly played the second half of the season. Cowher felt he owed it to Staley who had been a team player and had been dealing with father's illness. The odd man out? Arnold Harrison.

The decision won't have to made until Friday because the practice squad travels with the team. But it's a likely decision that will have to made unless they feel Ward is close to 100%.

Good luck with this one, Coach T.

Is this going to happen? Who would our 4th WR be? Dallass Baker?? Personally, I dont see where its worth it to cut anyone, lets just cross our fingers for Hines to be on the field for the entire game.

mshifko
01-24-2009, 04:29 PM
it'll be fernando bryant...i think that's an easy choice...he adds zero value at this point in the game because we have a relatively healthy secondary

pittpete
01-24-2009, 04:32 PM
Id have to agree with Bryant also.

SidSmythe
01-24-2009, 04:50 PM
Bryant came to my mind too, but we are going to need a lot of CB's against the Cards. They are a passing team and if 1 guy goes down, it puts us in an awkward position.

I say it would be Scott Paxson ... He wouldn't see the field even if 3 D-Lineman went down.

Steel Life
01-24-2009, 05:31 PM
If it were up to me - Paxson. Our D-Line is healthy & loaded with back-ups & DB depth will be vital for the game. Besides, you don't mess with the special teams roster now...any changes could be devastating.

But here's a thought...why not activate Dixon as a WR? The kid has speed & is a great athlete - why not?

Mister Pittsburgh
01-24-2009, 05:35 PM
I would say Bryant. I would rather put Limas Sweed at CB than him.

stlrz d
01-24-2009, 05:36 PM
If it were up to me - Paxson. Our D-Line is healthy & loaded with back-ups & DB depth will be vital for the game. Besides, you don't mess with the special teams roster now...any changes could be devastating.

But here's a thought...why not activate Dixon as a WR? The kid has speed & is a great athlete - why not?

For the same reason you don't mess with special teams chemistry. I haven't heard of him even practicing as a WR.

I agree, it will be Paxson. There are 6 D linemen ahead of him. The starters plus Hoke, Kirschke and Eason.

stlrz d
01-24-2009, 05:37 PM
Btw, how cool is it that Bryant passed on the Rams (and a few other teams) because he thought we had a shot to win it all? :P

Steel Life
01-24-2009, 05:47 PM
[quote="Steel Life":1490bxgy]But here's a thought...why not activate Dixon as a WR? The kid has speed & is a great athlete - why not?
For the same reason you don't mess with special teams chemistry. I haven't heard of him even practicing as a WR.[/quote:1490bxgy]
You're telling me that Dixon couldn't pull a "Mark Malone" or "Kordell" for one game? Aside from the fact we're talking about the 4th WR (& realistically the 7th option - Hines, Santonio, Heath, Nate, Moore, Spaeth, & either the 4th WR or Davis), as the QB he's knows the route assignments (hopefully he's been paying attention). Besdies, how hard can it be to run a "Go" route three times a game?

stlrz d
01-24-2009, 06:05 PM
[quote="stlrz d":o5q59r8g][quote="Steel Life":o5q59r8g]But here's a thought...why not activate Dixon as a WR? The kid has speed & is a great athlete - why not?
For the same reason you don't mess with special teams chemistry. I haven't heard of him even practicing as a WR.[/quote:o5q59r8g]
You're telling me that Dixon couldn't pull a "Mark Malone" or "Kordell" for one game? Aside from the fact we're talking about the 4th WR (& realistically the 7th option - Hines, Santonio, Heath, Nate, Moore, Spaeth, & either the 4th WR or Davis), as the QB he's knows the route assignments (hopefully he's been paying attention). Besdies, how hard can it be to run a "Go" route three times a game?[/quote:o5q59r8g]

What I'm telling you is I haven't heard a peep about him practicing at WR all season, we haven't seen a hint of it and I would be absolutely shocked if we see it now.

jj28west
01-24-2009, 06:08 PM
[quote="stlrz d":3f27hg2e][quote="Steel Life":3f27hg2e]But here's a thought...why not activate Dixon as a WR? The kid has speed & is a great athlete - why not?
For the same reason you don't mess with special teams chemistry. I haven't heard of him even practicing as a WR.[/quote:3f27hg2e]
You're telling me that Dixon couldn't pull a "Mark Malone" or "Kordell" for one game? Aside from the fact we're talking about the 4th WR (& realistically the 7th option - Hines, Santonio, Heath, Nate, Moore, Spaeth, & either the 4th WR or Davis), as the QB he's knows the route assignments (hopefully he's been paying attention). Besdies, how hard can it be to run a "Go" route three times a game?[/quote:3f27hg2e]

God forbid we show something like this where there is zero game film (take away preseason).
Guys, Honestly who besides Chromartie (sp) can match Dixon's speed. You will now have two WR's who can fly. Let him take a couple snaps to the outside. The Cardinals are not Baltimore nor the Titans. Their style is really get upfield pushing towards the quarterback but do not appear to be disciplined enough from creating large holes underneath that can be exploited. Look at the risk vs reward when compared to running FWP up the gut a dozen times for -2 to 2 yd gaines. I'm sorry to get off topic but the whole thing with the offensive lack of creativity touches a nerve with me.

SteelerNation1
01-24-2009, 06:13 PM
If they deactivate Madison, I'll throw up.

Ozey74
01-24-2009, 06:17 PM
What I'm telling you is I haven't heard a peep about him practicing at WR all season, we haven't seen a hint of it and I would be absolutely shocked if we see it now.

The media wasn't allowed inside their practice complex yesterday (I don't know if that is normal or not). Who knows what they were practicing???

:tt2

stlrz d
01-24-2009, 06:53 PM

The media wasn't allowed inside their practice complex yesterday (I don't know if that is normal or not). Who knows what they were practicing???

:tt2

Yeah, that's SOP.

NJ-STEELER
01-24-2009, 06:55 PM
dixon in the wildcat. fake the option and go long to BigBen

6 points

Discipline of Steel
01-24-2009, 07:04 PM
[quote="Steel Life":327s5aej]If it were up to me - Paxson. Our D-Line is healthy & loaded with back-ups & DB depth will be vital for the game. Besides, you don't mess with the special teams roster now...any changes could be devastating.

For the same reason you don't mess with special teams chemistry. I haven't heard of him even practicing as a WR.

I agree, it will be Paxson. There are 6 D linemen ahead of him. The starters plus Hoke, Kirschke and Eason.[/quote:327s5aej]

I agree on Paxson, Balt is behind us now and we dont have the need for a beefed up DL. But who are we going to get? Baker? Dixon? Id say activate Dixon just to F'em up, Baker adds nothing.

AngryAsian
01-24-2009, 07:08 PM
Don't add Baker... have Mewelde Moore line up in the slot. He surely has better hands than Baker and will yield us more positive yards. I hope Coach T. you are reading this... MOORE IN THE SLOT!

MeetJoeGreene
01-25-2009, 04:13 PM
Out of all of those choices, I would let Paxson go.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
01-26-2009, 09:54 AM
I'm thinking Paxson, Capazzi, Parquet...In that order. I really don't think it is a hard decision. If they do it early enough they could sign him back on the PS. I think the bigger decision will be who they bring up from the PS. Baker had the edge through out the season but Nance should know the offense by now. Baker had a shot early season to make some plays and didn't seize the opportunity. I think Nance might have moved ahead of Baker for the next WR. I would be surprised if the Steelers didn't add a WR for the SB. If they don't...The Ward injury isn't as serious as were led to believe.

flippy
01-26-2009, 10:10 AM
This decision is likely to have 0 impact on this game.

flippy
01-26-2009, 10:15 AM
If Ward is out, Heath is the 4th WR in a 4 wide set and Spaeth/Moore is your #5 WR.

If 2 WRs get hurt, you can avoid going to 5 wides.

You could use Dixon or one of the DBs even if they are just a decoy.

Line up Troy and you would totally mess up the psyche of the Cards defense.

Besides, BA would love to go more 3 TE sets anyway.

stlrz d
01-26-2009, 10:46 AM
If Ward is out, Heath is the 4th WR in a 4 wide set and Spaeth/Moore is your #5 WR.

:nono

If he's the 3rd QB he can't be used.

RuthlessBurgher
01-26-2009, 11:14 AM

:nono

If he's the 3rd QB he can't be used.

Yeah...everyone seems to mention this constantly, not realizing that if you use your deactivated (but uniformed on the sideline) emergency 3rd QB, you can't put your 1st or 2nd string QB back in the game again. I think the fact that Kordell was used as a WR in Super Bowl XXX throws people off, but they forget that he wasn't the 3rd emergency QB that year. O'Donnell was the starter, Tomczak was the backup, and Jim Miller was the 3rd emergency QB. Stewart was not a deactivated emergency 3rd QB like Miller was and Dixon is.

Discipline of Steel
01-26-2009, 11:27 AM
and that is where Dixon will stay for the Super Bowl. There are no other QB to fill that slot. Help at WR will have to come from somewhere else.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-26-2009, 11:55 AM
"Bryant or Paxson" is irrelevant. Neither was going to dress anyway.

The more important question is whether or not one of the active roster players is going to be left off to activate Dallas Baker.

Madison, Bailey, Davis....all important to our STs. Ward's health is very important to us, because if he is not at full strength it could seriously weaken our coverage units.

jj28west
01-26-2009, 09:43 PM
I see your points about the 3rd Quarterback rule but then how does Seneca Wallace play in the game or Troy Smith? I guess there is obvious risk then that I may not have considered.

stlrz d
01-26-2009, 11:23 PM
I see your points about the 3rd Quarterback rule but then how does Seneca Wallace play in the game or Troy Smith? I guess there is obvious risk then that I may not have considered.

The 2nd QB can play. We can use Lefty all we want. :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
01-26-2009, 11:26 PM

The 2nd QB can play. We can use Lefty all we want. :lol:

Yup. Both Seneca and Troy are #2 QB's. The emergency 3rd QB's in Seattle and Baltimore were Charlie Frye and Todd Bouman, respectively.