PDA

View Full Version : Edge versus Steelers D

flippy
01-24-2009, 07:14 AM
In 4 games we've seen Edge, he's gained ~110 total yds/game and scored .5 TDs against us.

He's just under 4 YPC against us.

Does anyone think he poses some problems for us with his running style?

I kinda think of him as a Fred Taylor type of back versus the Steelers. One of the hardest backs for us to stop/contain.

This may surprise, but he's got his best YPC since he's been in AZ. Just under 4. Kinda surprising this is the year AZ sat him down.

He's performed just as well in the playoffs.

The teams he's struggled against the most this year have been Carolina in the playoffs and then Miami, and Buffalo in the regular season.

What's also interesting is the teams that shut down Edge had the most lopsided losses to AZ.

So do we let Edge get some yards so AZ runs it 30+ times and throws down field less often?

How do we play that?

proudpittsburgher
01-24-2009, 07:48 AM
I still think we keep EJ at bay without doing anythign special to accomplish that task, which will allow us to do defend the pass better.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
01-24-2009, 11:22 AM
We always talk about how the Fred Taylor type backs give us trouble, but this has not been the case this year. This year the only back who really gave us much trouble was the kid from Dallas.

Taylor, Edge etc. are big backs with quick feet who look for the cutback. Our D has stayed focused and swarmed any back who has tried to cut it back. The type of back who would scare me more would be a Chris Johnson from Tennessee.

Mel Blount's G
01-24-2009, 11:39 AM
He's lost a step. Damaged goods. Doesn't hightower get more play than him?

mshifko
01-24-2009, 12:58 PM
i think edge is going to possess a challenge for our defense...he is built from the fabric as a back like fred taylor, however arizona uses him differently...they'll mix it up well and run him out of a variety of formations, we just have to be able to play sound football at the point of attack and read our keys...i think our defense will be able to stop the running game, however i'm worried about passing game opening the opportunity to bust some runs later in the ball game