Round 3B C Antoine Caldwell from Alabama 6 Foot 4 307 LB's
Round 4 DT Dorell Scott from Clemson 6 Foot 4 310 LB's
Round 5 CB Morgan Trent from Michigan 6 Foot 1 190 LB's
Round 6 FB Travis McCall from Alabama 6 Foot 2 276 LB's
Round 7A WR/KR Tiquan Underwood from Rutgers 6 Foot 2 185 LB's
Round 7B OT Ryan Stancheck from West Virginia 6 Foot 3 305 LB's

Chavezz
01-24-2009, 12:00 AM
can't argue the positions that's for sure. Urbik and Caldwell are doing well at the Senior bowl but Beatty seems to be a reach for the 1st rd. Right now though the OT position rankings are still in flux so who knows. With McFadden most likely leaving, CB will probably have to be bumped up earlier in the draft.

My hope is that we can sign a free agent or two that are starting material (don't have to be top FA's) that will open the draft up for us a little to take the BPA.

papillon
01-24-2009, 12:10 AM
I would love for the Steelers to sign either an offensive lineman or defensive lineman free agent and then work the rest through the draft.

Pappy

Lebsteel
01-24-2009, 01:22 AM
Would Beatty be ready to start at LT as a rookie? I'd love to see us sign Jordan Gross, but that would probably be too many $$$. If we don't sign Starks or a FA....man, that makes me nervous.

stlrz d
01-24-2009, 11:23 AM
This is an excellent mock draft.

Chavezz
01-24-2009, 11:49 AM
With Peppers leaving Carolina they'll have monet to sign Gross. I crossed him off my list when Peppers decided that he wanted out.

Lebsteel
01-24-2009, 12:35 PM
With Peppers leaving Carolina they'll have monet to sign Gross. I crossed him off my list when Peppers decided that he wanted out.

Yea, Gross is by far the highest rated FA OT, so if Carolina signs him, do we sign Starks for whatever he wants so we have an experienced LT or do we go with a rookie like Beatty? I think the most realistic scenario is to sign Starks for a decent price, don't sign Kemoeatu, draft Alex Mack (plays LG for one year) or Duke Robinson in Rd. 1, then the best 3-4 DE or CB in Rd. 2. I also hope Hills will be ready to take over at RT. So here is my thoughts on resigning and drafting:

Starks--sign to long term contract only at a reasonable salary if we can't get Gross
Kemoeatu--don't sign
McFadden--sign ONLY if reasonable (option is to draft CB early or go with Gay)
Washington--sign ONLY if reasonable (option is to hope Sweed is ready and Nance/Baker or day 2 pick can be 4th receiver)
Colon--only a RFA, but let him walk if someone wants to sign him

Our O-line next year, not ideal for sure, but I think realistic:
Starks--LT
Mack--LG
Hartwig--C
Stapleton--RG
Hills--RT

I favor Mack over Duke Robinson, because of Mack's outstanding academic achievements. He won the "Draddy Award" as the outstanding scholar-athlete in college football.
http://california.scout.com/2/819897.html
I think this would bode well for his future role as the Steelers' center and leader of the O-line for many years to come!

buckeyehoppy
01-24-2009, 01:09 PM
Would Beatty be ready to start at LT as a rookie? I'd love to see us sign Jordan Gross, but that would probably be too many $$$. If we don't sign Starks or a FA....man, that makes me nervous.

It'll be interesting to see what Carolina does with Gross. I don't know if they'll be able to tag him because they may do that with Gamble, so that would work to our advantage. If the Steelers unload some $$$ off the cap, I think they'll be able to do something with Gross.

I feel like Max Sucks is going to want much bigger $$$ than he is worth. In his defense, he has stepped in and done a serviceable job filling in for Marvel. But do the Steelers dare to throw a huge contract at a guy who has been largely mediocre for the majority of his career?

I'd rather the Steelers went after Gross full throttle. If they can't get him and Sucks is still around, then get him at club-friendly terms. If they can do all of this prior to the draft, then they'll know how to conduct the draft with whatever veteran pieces already in place.

SteelBucks
01-24-2009, 03:31 PM

I'm upset that Trent (aka Toast) graduated this year. Ohio State had yearly field days on this guy. Here's hoping another team like Cleveland drafts Trent so I can continue to enjoy my weekends. :twisted:

NJ-STEELER
01-24-2009, 03:54 PM
gamble re-uped during the season

buckeyehoppy
01-25-2009, 04:30 PM

I'm upset that Trent (aka Toast) graduated this year. Ohio State had yearly field days on this guy. Here's hoping another team like Cleveland drafts Trent so I can continue to enjoy my weekends. :twisted:

The guy has great measurables...especially for a CB. But he wears a skirt when he plays...typical of a scUM player.

buckeyehoppy
01-25-2009, 04:31 PM
gamble re-uped during the season

Yeah...I'd forgotten about that. $hit!!! That's one less option, unless they really want to get into a pi$$ing match with Peppers.

Lebsteel
01-25-2009, 05:40 PM
I thought that I had read somewhere that Gross was franchised in 2008. Yes, here it is:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/panthers/2008-02-19-jordan-gross_N.htm

Can they franchise him again?

Chavezz
01-25-2009, 05:42 PM

The guy has great measurables...especially for a CB. But he wears a skirt when he plays...typical of a scUM player.

You mean like Lamarr Woodley?

WoodleyofTroy
01-25-2009, 06:09 PM
Beatty has good upside, but probably too raw for the Steelers to take a gamble on at this point. They don't have time to wait around with the current OL issue. A talent like Duke Robinson, and Alex Mack could come in right away and improve the Offensive Line as a unit, and do so for years.

I'm hoping the Steelers trade up and grab one of the top 4 premier tackles much like they did following the last Super Bowl run.

I'll be keeping an eye on Eben Britton OT out of Arizona at the combine. He's #1 on my list right now, with Robinson and Mack right behind.

buckeyehoppy
01-25-2009, 11:15 PM
I thought that I had read somewhere that Gross was franchised in 2008. Yes, here it is:
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/panthers/2008-02-19-jordan-gross_N.htm

Can they franchise him again?

Hot Dog!!! :tt2 :tt2 :tt2

That means the Steelers are in play to get this guy if they really want him.

If we get Gross and draft either Robinson or Mack, that would rebuild the left side of the OL almost overnight.

SteelerOfDeVille
01-26-2009, 03:42 PM
the dissapointing thing about this draft was Ciron Black and Russell Okung making their way back to college. that means the OT position that was once going to have enough guys to get down to the Steelers, now leaves uncertainty.

Andre Smith, Eugene Monroe, Michael Oher, Jason Smith, Eben Britton, William Beatty, Phil Loadholt - that's pretty much your first rounders. If there's a run like last year, we'll end up S.O.L.

Personally, I believe I'd trade up and be sure to get a 1st round quality OT. The team has too many FA's and too many question marks at OT...

RuthlessBurgher
01-26-2009, 04:27 PM
the dissapointing thing about this draft was Ciron Black and Russell Okung making their way back to college. that means the OT position that was once going to have enough guys to get down to the Steelers, now leaves uncertainty.

Andre Smith, Eugene Monroe, Michael Oher, Jason Smith, Eben Britton, William Beatty, Phil Loadholt - that's pretty much your first rounders. If there's a run like last year, we'll end up S.O.L.

Personally, I believe I'd trade up and be sure to get a 1st round quality OT. The team has too many FA's and too many question marks at OT...

Only the first four are worth trading up for, and it would probably be too costly to do so, since they will all likely be gone in the first half of the first round the way things are looking (although if one of them starts to slide past the mid-point of the opening round, I would be firing up the phones like mad looking for a trade partner). I would consider Britton or Beatty if they were available at #32, but I wouldn't trade up for them. I don't want any part of Loadholt in round 1, though. It's either a top 6 tackle, the top guard (Robinson), the top center (Mack) or a d-lineman instead.

steelblood
01-26-2009, 04:44 PM
Round 1 OT William Beatty from Connecticut 6 Foot 6 291 LB's
Round 2 OG Kraig Urbik from Wisconsin 6 Foot 6 323 LB's
Round 3A DE Jarron Gilbert from San Jose State 6 Foot 5 287 LB's
Round 3B C Antoine Caldwell from Alabama 6 Foot 4 307 LB's
Round 4 DT Dorell Scott from Clemson 6 Foot 4 310 LB's
Round 6 FB Travis McCall from Alabama 6 Foot 2 276 LB's
Round 7A WR/KR Tiquan Underwood from Rutgers 6 Foot 2 185 LB's
Round 7B OT Ryan Stancheck from West Virginia 6 Foot 3 305 LB's

I like Urbik. I'm not a fan of Beatty or Caldwell. Beatty is a year or two away from being a starter. I'm not sure we have the luxury of waiting that long. He is not very strong and must add 20 pounds of muscle to really compete in the run game. He should be ready now to help pass protect but at the Senior Bowl practices and game, he was beaten badly in pass pro. He was generally awful and looked far from NFL ready. Caldwell is overrated in my opinion. I like Eric Wood better. Wood is tougher, meaner, has a stronger hand punch, and is more relentless. Caldwell has some good skills, but too often I see him get very upright and look awkward.

Oviedo
01-26-2009, 04:53 PM
Going against my natural instinct to go with DL in Round 1 I would do the following based on current info:

1. Max Unger, OL, 6’5” 300lbs, Oregon—best OL value in the draft especially at #32. Unger can play every position on the OL and probably step in at RT right away
2. Kraig Urbik, , OG/OL, 6’6”, 332lbs., Wisconsin. Versatility again. Can play both Guard positions and possibly RT. Alternative: Troy Kropog, OT, 6’6”, 315lbs., Tulane
3. Jarron Gilbert, DT, 6’6”, 280lbs, San Jose State or Ron Brace, DL, 6’ 2" 320bs BC
3. Joe Burnett, CB/KR, 5’11”, 185lbs, Central Florida
4. Dorrell Scott, DL, 6’4” 320lbs or Vance Walker, DL, 6’2” 293lbs., Ga Tech
5. Deon Butler, WR, 5’10” 180lbs, Penn State or Patrick Turner, WR, 6’5”, 220lbs, USC
6. Quinn Johnson, FB, 6’1”, 262lbs., LSU
7. Zach Potter, DL, 6’7” 280lbs, Nebraska
7. James Williams, DB, 6’, 180lbs, Southern Conn.

The real issue is Bmac and how early they feel they need another CB. I think Burnett will end up as a steal in Round 3 because of his returner abilities.

SteelerOfDeVille
01-26-2009, 05:44 PM

Only the first four are worth trading up for, and it would probably be too costly to do so, since they will all likely be gone in the first half of the first round the way things are looking (although if one of them starts to slide past the mid-point of the opening round, I would be firing up the phones like mad looking for a trade partner). I would consider Britton or Beatty if they were available at #32, but I wouldn't trade up for them. I don't want any part of Loadholt in round 1, though. It's either a top 6 tackle, the top guard (Robinson), the top center (Mack) or a d-lineman instead.
I'm with ya, there. I'm not especially a fan of Loadholt's, either - in fact, I'd probably rate Jamon Merideth higher and he's a 2-3 round prospect by most accounts. From Senior Bowl week, I was impessed with Beatty and think he may be a sleeper.

I think there's a decent chance there'll be an OT there at #32 - one from the list above. Otherwise, I'm hoping for Tyson Jackson, who would be a studly DE in the 34 and heir apparent to Aaron Smith.

Chadman
01-26-2009, 07:19 PM
The Steelers, these last few years, have tended to draft 'Best Player Available' in a 'position of need'. They 'usually' try to sign a few FA's that fit into the areas of need before the draft, opening up the options in the draft & not forcing them to 'reach' for players at their pick.

With that in mind, it seems reasonable to assume the Steelers might sign at least 1 FA OL before the draft.

Chadman thinks the choice, so far, for #32 will be between-

Eben Britton- will likely be the only 'Top' LT available to the Steelers- and even that is not guarentee. If he is there, he might be hard to pass up.

Duke Robinson- the top rated OG in the draft 'might' make it past both the Eagles & Chargers. If he does- he could be BPA in a PON.

Alex Mack- might make it past both the Chargers & Eagles & Cardinals. If he does, he could be BPA & used as an OG for a couple of seasons.

Phil Loadholt- Isn't a top rated LT, but used specifically as a RT he could be the top rated RT in the draft. He'll most likely make it to #32. Is he a nupgrade on Colon? If so- he can step in and strengthen the right side of the OL right away.

Tyson Jackson- The best DE for a 3-4 defence, he might make it past the Chargers (Olshansky is a FA this season- if he goes, the Chargers could look for a 3-4 DE, Packers are another possibility). If he is available, and the top OL are gone, he could fit nicely.

Alphonso Smith- If all the OL & DE's are off the board, the Steelers could look at CB in round 1. Smith could be available here & if so, he might be the pick. If he's gone and CB is still the option- Mike Mickens could be the pick.

The first few weeks of FA might determine which way the Steelers go in Round 1 this year.

Chadman's tip at this point is either Duke Robinson or Phil Loadholt.

Bandito
01-26-2009, 09:01 PM
Hopefully can resign BMac and a FA OT.

1st: Eben Britton, Duke Robinson, Alex Mack, Tyson Jackson, Perla Jerry (unlikely)
2nd: Mitch King, Jarron Gilbert, Sen'Derrick Marks, Kraig Urbik, Mike Mickens, Jeremy Meredith
3rd: BPA OT or DT

Mister Pittsburgh
01-26-2009, 09:20 PM
You guys still high on Duke Robinson even after he got benched for major mental errors in a huge game. I say no thanks on him. We already have enough fat guys with not much between their ears. Our RT gets a penalty every single stinking game for jumping off sides and every other game for lining up improperly. Our current RG takes a lot of penalties as well.