PDA

View Full Version : Lebeau may be Retiring

BigRob
01-23-2009, 02:26 PM
Per PFT, thats the big rumor. That would be a huge loss.

Djfan
01-23-2009, 02:36 PM
I hope he waits until we win the next SB too.

Oviedo
01-23-2009, 02:42 PM
Rumor started to get the defense motivated to win one for the "old guy" who they clearly love and respect. God help the Cardinals if it is true. They will need to have body bags on hand for the Cards offense.

JAR
01-23-2009, 03:03 PM
Lebeau's home town is Tampa! :lol:

Hopefully this isn't true.

RuthlessBurgher
01-23-2009, 03:08 PM
I hope he waits until we win the next SB too.

Yeah, then we could win Super Bowl 44 for ol' #44!!!

JAR
01-23-2009, 03:11 PM
from the site that said terry Bradshaw was dead....

RUMORS FLY THAT LEBEAU IS READY TO RETIRE
Posted by Mike Florio on January 23, 2009, 11:39 a.m.

There are mounting rumblings in league circles that Steelers defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau could be retiring after next weekendís Super Bowl.

We first caught wind of the talk on Thursday, and our initial snooping didnít result in anyone telling us that it was a crazy suggestion ó especially since LeBeau is 71. (I hope I look as good as LeBeau when Iím 71. Hell, Iím only 43 and I donít look as good as LeBeau at 71.)

We opted to post the item because a reader advises that Tim Ryan and Pat Kirwan of Sirius NFL Radio were talking on-air about the rumors today.

LeBeau, whose NFL playing and coaching career spans half of a century, deserves serious consideration for the Hall of Fame if the Steelers win another Super Bowl on his watch.

And the strong possibility that Super Bowl XLIII could be the final game of a distinguished career might motivate one or more Steelers defenders to attempt to pummel Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner into retirement, too.

Iron Shiek
01-23-2009, 04:08 PM
So it was Lebeau the entire time!!!

Anyone remember me mentioning before the season who on the current team is from Tampa so we could ride the whole "win one for player x so he can play his last game in his hometown" a la The Bus. Holy crap....Lebeau will probably retire then if we win.

So where is next year's Super Bowl and who is gonna retire? At least no Super Bowls are played in Findlay, OH thank god.

And by the way, I scooped Florio on this one!! :lol:

http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4759

And Kirwan and Ryan were talking about this as early as Tuesday...

SteelBucks
01-23-2009, 05:28 PM
So where is next year's Super Bowl and who is gonna retire?

I don't know where he's from, but I hope it's in Arians' hometown.

Steeler Shades
01-23-2009, 05:41 PM
So where is next year's Super Bowl and who is gonna retire? I don't know where he's from, but I hope it's in Arians' hometown.
Airens won't sniff the SB if LeBeau retires. 8)

frankthetank1
01-23-2009, 05:47 PM
[quote="Iron Shiek":lz1hhe0i]So where is next year's Super Bowl and who is gonna retire? I don't know where he's from, but I hope it's in Arians' hometown.
Airens won't sniff the SB if LeBeau retires. 8)[/quote:lz1hhe0i]

maybe arians will retire

SteelBucks
01-23-2009, 06:15 PM
[quote="Iron Shiek":2gwbf5ds]So where is next year's Super Bowl and who is gonna retire? I don't know where he's from, but I hope it's in Arians' hometown.
Airens won't sniff the SB if LeBeau retires. 8)[/quote:2gwbf5ds]

Good point. :HeadBanger

Steelgal
01-23-2009, 06:19 PM
If this does happen and I hope it doesn't, would a current defensive coach take over next year?

DukieBoy
01-23-2009, 07:03 PM
Lebeau ought to be put direct into the HOF.
Anybody else who's not in the HOF given more to professional football that Lebeau?

Discipline of Steel
01-23-2009, 11:06 PM
I dont want to even contemplate this before the game.

rpmpit
01-24-2009, 09:19 AM
After Ryan got the Jets job I was thinking how lucky we were to not only have Lebeau, but that we don't have to worry about him leaving for a HC position. Now this :shock:

Like some of you have suggested, I hope the players think its true - but I hope its not.

GreggyDigital
01-24-2009, 09:52 AM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/01/ ... ment-talk/ (http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/01/23/knocking-down-the-lebeau-retirement-talk/)

Moreover, a source close to LeBeau tells us that the 50-year NFL playing and coaching veteran has shown no indication that he has any intention of retiring after the season ends.

JAR
01-24-2009, 09:54 AM
If this does happen and I hope it doesn't, would a current defensive coach take over next year?

John Mitchell, Keith Butler and Lou Spanos have been working under Lebeau for years. I've heard Lebeau has turned them into mini Lebeau masterminds, so if Tomlin wants to keep the current defensive scheme, I think he'd promote one of those guys.

pfelix73
01-24-2009, 11:45 AM
No Superbowls ever in York, PA. This is where Arians is from.......my old stomping grounds too.

Anyone know where you can buy an old Dick LeBeau Lions #44 jersey?

These should be for sale if they already aren't.

Djfan
01-24-2009, 02:09 PM
No Superbowls ever in York, PA. This is where Arians is from.......my old stomping grounds too.

Anyone know where you can buy an old bad word LeBeau Lions #44 jersey?

NFLshop.com

You can get any shirt, any team, any number, any name.

Acero
01-24-2009, 05:19 PM

Anyone know where you can buy an old bad word LeBeau Lions #44 jersey?

NFLshop.com

You can get any shirt, any team, any number, any name.

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n148/xamichee/steelers/Picture3.png

Only 275 bucks, y'all.

DukieBoy
01-26-2009, 12:21 AM
Lebeau belongs in the HOF. Steeler Nation must not rest until this happens.

SteelerOfDeVille
01-26-2009, 03:12 PM
would be a tough replacement. You wonder if they would promote from within or if Tomlin would go find someone that he use to work with...