PDA

View Full Version : Santonio Holmes on Mike and Mike

Iron Shiek
01-23-2009, 09:37 AM
He was a great interview.

First they introduced him by saying that he's scored a touchdown in every playoff game he's played (2 rec/1 pr). And that he's won a championship at every level (high school/college) and going for the trifecta.

Talked about how good of a coach Mike Tomlin is and how Tomlin downplayed the "tough" schedule by saying that every matchup is a 5 Star Matchup this year....but only because the Pittsburgh Steelers are playing in it.

He said Tomlin and Cowher are very similar coaches. He talked about how crazy everyone thought Tomlin was at first because of all the practice time in pads.

Went on about Hines being the heart of the team and what the upcoming game had in store for them.

He outright admitted that the offense relies on the defense. He said they know if they can just get a td or fg late, the defense will seal it and that they always rely on the defense to win the game for them. And tried their hardest to go into games trying to put some points on the board so the defense didn't have to work that week. (Seriously? This is the way the offense thinks?)

Then they had some fun with him and talked about since they are going to Tampa warm weather/beaches and whatnot, who on the team should keep their shirt on? He didn't want to get himself in trouble so didn't want to say anything, then he just went to picking on the kicker and said Jeff Reed. But he has good friendship with him (they have locker next to each other) so he knows he could joke around. I would've said Big Snack hands down.

They also asked him who the toughest guy on the team is. James Harrison didn't come out of his mouth once which is hard to believe. Everybody better be ready to be without Santonio for the Super Bowl because James might throw him off the plane. So he started with Hines and Ryan Clark...then threw Troy in as well. Not a bad list...

frankthetank1
01-23-2009, 09:56 AM
He was a great interview.

First they introduced him by saying that he's scored a touchdown in every playoff game he's played (2 rec/1 pr). And that he's won a championship at every level (high school/college) and going for the trifecta.

Talked about how good of a coach Mike Tomlin is and how Tomlin downplayed the "tough" schedule by saying that every matchup is a 5 Star Matchup this year....but only because the Pittsburgh Steelers are playing in it.

He said Tomlin and Cowher are very similar coaches. He talked about how crazy everyone thought Tomlin was at first because of all the practice time in pads.

Went on about Hines being the heart of the team and what the upcoming game had in store for them.

He outright admitted that the offense relies on the defense. He said they know if they can just get a td or fg late, the defense will seal it and that they always rely on the defense to win the game for them. And tried their hardest to go into games trying to put some points on the board so the defense didn't have to work that week. (Seriously? This is the way the offense thinks?)

Then they had some fun with him and talked about since they are going to Tampa warm weather/beaches and whatnot, who on the team should keep their shirt on? He didn't want to get himself in trouble so didn't want to say anything, then he just went to picking on the kicker and said Jeff Reed. But he has good friendship with him (they have locker next to each other) so he knows he could joke around. I would've said Big Snack hands down.

They also asked him who the toughest guy on the team is. James Harrison didn't come out of his mouth once which is hard to believe. Everybody better be ready to be without Santonio for the Super Bowl because James might throw him off the plane. So he started with Hines and Ryan Clark...then threw Troy in as well. Not a bad list...

well that is the reality of it in regards to their offensive philosphy. it sounds bad, but its true. all the offense has to do is make fg's get in the end zone from time to time or punt the ball deep and win the field position battle. that is strange he didnt mention harrison. he always plays hurt

RuthlessBurgher
01-23-2009, 10:06 AM
I caught the end of that interview in my car on the way to work this morning. I would have gone with Hoke instead of Skippy. Big guy, red hair, pale skin...gotta burn like crazy, no?

The truth about this offense is that the only thing they need to do to bring home ring #6 is not screw up. We'll need a TD here and a FG there and such, sure, but with how well the defense is playing, we can beat anyone as long as the offense does force things and turn the ball over. Every drive that ends with a foot striking the ball is a good one.

If it is Reed kicking an extra point, that is an "A" drive because the offense's ultimate mission of a TD was accomplished. If it is Reed kicking a field goal, that is a "B" drive because we were still able to put points on the board. If it is Berger punting the ball away, it is a "C" drive because it helps to dictate all important field position. If it is a turnover on downs, it is a "D" drive because the other team will still likely have a long field in front of them since we would be stupid to go for it on 4th down in our own territory. And if it is an interception or a fumble, that is an "F" drive, because they can result in easy points for the opposition.

frankthetank1
01-23-2009, 10:10 AM
if you look at all of the dominant defenses that have won super bowls with the exception of maybe the 85 bears because they had payton all of those offenses were similar in the fact that all they had to do is not screw up. baltimore's offense in 2000 wasnt good and tampa bay's offense wasnt great when they won the super bowl either

Ozey74
01-23-2009, 10:19 AM
Did anyone catch when one of the Mikes said at the begining of the interview "I wonder what Santonio is packing". They meant for the trip to Tampa.

Sometimes I wonder about those two. They argue like a married couple & proudly claim when they have a man crush.

Not that there is anything wrong with it!!!

RuthlessBurgher
01-23-2009, 10:24 AM
Did anyone catch when one of the Mikes said at the begining of the interview "I wonder what Santonio is packing". They meant for the trip to Tampa.

Sometimes I wonder about those two. They argue like a married couple & proudly claim when they have a man crush.

Not that there is anything wrong with it!!!

While somewhat ghey, asking what Santonio is packing is better than asking what the WR he replaced in Pittsburgh, Cheddar Plax, is packing. :shock:

ikestops85
01-23-2009, 10:31 AM
I wonder if they were referring to his favorite "tobacco" when they asked him what he was packing. :roll:

pfelix73
01-23-2009, 10:42 AM
I don't know all about that. Sounds like he's kissing the Steelers D.

The way the Steelers O looks at it, if they are down by a few points with them more than likely having the ball for the last series of the game- they'll go and win the game. Not wait for the D to make a play. IMO.